Darren Fletcher - Technical Director

SirMattlives

In the absence of the club clearing their decisions and explaining everything to the Caf, let’s just assume the worst. Got it.

Gavinb33

Do fans of other clubs obsess over backroom staff the way United fans do?

Genuine question it's bizarre I doubt any of my friends who support other teams could tell me or would even care who the coaches are or technical directors or kit man etc etc

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I never said or implied he needed to be sacked. No need to make stuff up and lie. You said that Fletcher “won lots of shit as a player” and I just told you why it holds no bearing on his current role.
No. You responded to a post where I explained how he would be very useful to Ralf as a conduit to winning over the players - what with him actually being a winner undoubtedly respected in the dressing room - which is part of his actual role. You then told me being a good player has no bearing on being a good manager or coach. His current role isn’t being a manager or coach - so what the feck that or Maradona has to do with anything is a bit of a mystery.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'm not targeting anyone, but how many clubs have a Technical Director acting as an assistant manager? What has Fletcher achieved as a coach? He's only coached the under 16's.

Didn't we just sign that Ewan Sharp guy to be the assistant manager?

It just seems like muddled thinking all round. Not good.
Our very own manager, Michael Emenalo formerly of Chelsea and many more on the continent.

What has Ewen Sharp achieved other than destroy 2 MLS clubs?

Instructions are received from multiple coaches always, there is no muddling. Fletcher isn’t just free balling and saying random shit.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Everyone is confused about his role. Never knew technical directors are involved in coaching. Does he be on the training ground? If not what the feck is he doing shouting instructions on the sideline?
If he is a coach why was he given the technical title that suggested he would be more involved in planning and transfers and the like?
Nothing about it makes sense.
To you.... Sorry

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Do fans of other clubs obsess over backroom staff the way United fans do?

Genuine question it's bizarre I doubt any of my friends who support other teams could tell me or would even care who the coaches are or technical directors or kit man etc etc
No because other clubs fans aren’t obsessed with being negative and required to know minor role coaches to bitch about.

Ralph1386

No. You responded to a post where I explained how he would be very useful to Ralf as a conduit to winning over the players
No, I just explained to you that I was responding to the part of your post about him winning “lots of shit as a player”. Which means absolutely nothing.

His current role isn’t being a manager or coach
But he’s been standing right next to the actual manager on the touchline yelling instructions to the players. He was doing that even during Carrick’s interim tenure, and Carrick did not need a “conduit” as you claimed for Ragnick.

For all I know he’d make a good coach, but you can’t claim that he’s not a coach or manager when he’s been clearly behaving as one.

Pronewbie

Peep
It would be good for the club to release a PR piece regarding Fletcher's role. Alternatively, one of the journalists at Rangnick's press conference should bring it up so we can hear from the horse's mouth. There is this strong anti ex-United brigade in the fanbase and I'd just caution against completely wiping out everyone on a whim. There is value in having a good core at the club regardless of manager, especially if Rangnick wants them to stay - at least for now.

CornishReds

Why not give fletcher a go at management this could be the plan? One of our own! He's been a success and a leader and a winner

Ixion

The part that confuses me is why he's on the touchline now Ole has gone. If it was doing it prior then it would be consistent but it's like his role has changed but we've not been made aware of it. I have no comment if he's any good at this new role but it's a bit strange.

salfordlad

Why not give fletcher a go at management this could be the plan? One of our own! He's been a success and a leader and a winner
I would have thought that we had learned a lesson going with this approach. IMNSHO we need a complete fresh approach and leave the past behind.

VixV

I haven't properly posted on RedCafe in nearly 10 years and this post has inspired me to reply. No, just no, please. I'm hoping Rangnick will be successful, but if not, we need someone with a pretty good record of having a clue of what they are doing as a manager at the top tier.

Reactions: Invictus

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I've seen Ronaldo talking to him and Phelan most on the touchline during and after the last game. Fletcher even had an arm around Ronaldo as they were both walking off in the end. I can't think of anyone else who has that kind of a relationship with Ronaldo in the current set up.

pascell

He will be a 'consultant' DOF.

Obviously they're not going to give him the same job title as Murtough. But the plan is for the two to work very closely together over the next 2 years.
Him being a consultant doesn't hold much weight, his ideas can very well be rejected.

roseguy64

He will be a 'consultant' DOF.

Obviously they're not going to give him the same job title as Murtough. But the plan is for the two to work very closely together over the next 2 years.
Fletcher should be here longer than 2 years so your point doesn't make sense either way.

Gandalf

The part that confuses me is why he's on the touchline now Ole has gone. If it was doing it prior then it would be consistent but it's like his role has changed but we've not been made aware of it. I have no comment if he's any good at this new role but it's a bit strange.
I think in large part it is related to Carrick leaving. RR was pretty clear that he wanted Carrick to stay as he wanted some continuity from the previous regime and so with that in mind I would imagine Fletcher fits what he was looking for. Someone who knows the club inside and out and already knows the dynamics of the dressing room is useful to a new Manager as he can cut through any bs the players try to pull and speed up the onboarding process. I very much doubt Darren will be on the touchline next season but for now it makes sense for a number of reasons.

hobbers

Fletcher should be here longer than 2 years so your point doesn't make sense either way.
Based on what?

If Fletcher wants to become a proper director of football at a high level club in the future he won't be here long, unless he takes Murtough's job.

Amir

Ralf Rangnick boys got ManUtd job just because they were associated with RB clubs.

Well respected manager also didn't have problem having Fletcher in the dug out.
Rangnick's boys got jobs because he believes they are right for them.

Yes, he seems fine with Fletcher as well, which is good, but the whole thing is still weird. He came back to United in January for one role, moved to a different one two months later and is now - also looking at the Tweet posted earlier - seems to be doing odd jobs. He appears like more of a handyman than having a clear role.

roseguy64

Based on what?

If Fletcher wants to become a proper director of football at a high level club in the future he won't be here long, unless he takes Murtough's job.
I would assume he'd not mind having a few years worth of experience and he's next in line. It's not like Murtough is young.

AneRu

I‘m not sure this is such a bad thing. Fletcher seems to really know his stuff, as well as being a United man. I was reading a few weeks ago that he’s known for having a hard edge to him as well. With Rangnick being short of staff, I think all those aspects are useful, and if he’s in on both coaching and next season’s recruitment it’s going to help him as a longer term TD. He’ll be better off knowing all of that if he’s going to be involved in hiring coaches later on.

Maybe the club should clarify that he’s joined the coaching staff until the end of the season.
It's not a really bad thing and I am surprised that it's an issue that's nagging people for over two days on here. First we need to know who Rangnick is; the guy is a builder of clubs and in doing so he has molded a few coaches and DOFs who have worked under him so he clearly enjoys mentorship and Darren is a young upcoming Technical Director, clearly being groomed for bigger things, so is it really surprising that a guy who enjoys mentoring young coaches has hooked up with a young coach at United?

Then there is the value of having a respected former player assisting a manager who is still settling in the country and league. There are a lot of nuances that RR won't be aware of that Fletcher can help him with in regards to culture, he seems to be a guy who doesn't want to rip up everything but is looking to modernize the club whilst maintaining its identity and he clearly wanted Carrick to stay. So if Fletcher can can do both things - his TD role and the coaching bit - both of which will give him an insight into the team and the steps needed to improve then why not?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Rangnick's boys got jobs because he believes they are right for them.

Yes, he seems fine with Fletcher as well, which is good, but the whole thing is still weird. He came back to United in January for one role, moved to a different one two months later and is now - also looking at the Tweet posted earlier - seems to be doing odd jobs. He appears like more of a handyman than having a clear role.
Going by the examples posted in this thread and before in other thread when this topic was discussed, this is common thing.

Longshanks

I suspect its one of two things possibly both, he is covering a gap in the coaching setup that RR has be unable to fill as of yet or he is helping out in a kind of transition period. RR has never managed in the PL before so it may just be that someone who knows the club and the PL just offering a helping with nuances of the PL and United.

Red00012

I trust him more than Ragnick. At least he understands what it takes to be successful. Ralf and his boys don’t know anything outside the MLS or the let-Bayern-beat-us-liga. Hopefully he’s still here well after the current staff are gone.
Skeppy short for skeptical...

wolvored

I trust him more than Ragnick. At least he understands what it takes to be successful. Ralf and his boys don’t know anything outside the MLS or the let-Bayern-beat-us-liga. Hopefully he’s still here well after the current staff are gone.
He's exactly what's wrong with this jobs for the boys. He was a part of the Ole DNA shit that spent a fortune to win feck all. Now he's forced on RR to work with.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
At Bayern, the TD stays on the bench. I don't think its unusual.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Yep, at Bayern Sammer before and Salihamidzic now are sitting on the bench all the time, its a tradition there. Zidane was a technical director (adviser) first at Real Madrid and during Jose Mourinho's time there he got actively involved in trainings of the squad and travelled with the team for the games. Later he became an official assistant of the new coach Carlo Ancelotti and the rest is history.

studs

As long as he isn't being groomed as the next managers who cares?
I think a lot of people do, and don't want this to become a reality. No one even knows what his job really is. Look what happened with the last time a good player and supposedly good talker was hired. He might talk the talk but can he walk the walk, only time will this. People will be very concerned and don't want a repeat of the past three years.

Trequarista10

I’m a bit over this micro analysis of our back room staff
Seriously? You don't think that fans can accurately determine a coach's duties, skill and impact on the team from a few two second clips of them on the sidelines on match day? You obviously significantly underestimate the incredible level of insight that our fans have, and should feel blessed that they share their wisdom with scrubs like us.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think in large part it is related to Carrick leaving. RR was pretty clear that he wanted Carrick to stay as he wanted some continuity from the previous regime and so with that in mind I would imagine Fletcher fits what he was looking for. Someone who knows the club inside and out and already knows the dynamics of the dressing room is useful to a new Manager as he can cut through any bs the players try to pull and speed up the onboarding process. I very much doubt Darren will be on the touchline next season but for now it makes sense for a number of reasons.
Agreed. If RR had problem with Fletcher was doing, I highly doubt Fletcher would continue doing it.

As long as United progress nicely, i couldn't give a damn even if Lingard join Fletcher on the sideline :D .

Matt851

No because other clubs fans aren’t obsessed with being negative and required to know minor role coaches to bitch about.
Or alternatively its because few clubs are as big a mess as United. We have seemingly appointed to key roles on the basis of people having previously played for the club and being matey with ed woodward

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Love these threads.

Like everyone in an American Horror Story-type asylum has traded access to their meds for access to the internet.

Gold

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Or alternatively its because few clubs are as big a mess as United. We have seemingly appointed to key roles on the basis of people having previously played for the club and being matey with ed woodward
There you go, seemingly. You don't have a clue mate, nor does anyone else, so it's a really pointless topic of discussion.