Darren Fletcher

Giggsforever

He really isn't. Even at his best he shouldn't really be a starter for Man United.

And with Carrick getting on, we need to invest anyway. We need someone who can both complement and ultimately compete with Carrick. Not Darren Fletcher.

Would be great to have him available as a squad player though.
Agree with you on this.

The physical aspect of the sport is so important, that even if Fletcher recover (and I really hope he will), I think he will struggle to ever be able to be back to his best after missing a couple of years. He is not getting any younger either.

In two years his contract is up, and we can't renew it even if he recovers well, because as I understand you still is in danger of the illness returning/flaring up.

I think he is done, no matter what and I hope he can be included in the managment and uses as much time as possible now to educate himself as a coach.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don't think he should come back to be brutally honest. He'll never be at the top of his game again and he'll just be taking up a squad place/wages if he does. He won't be able to offer us his best again.

Devil may care

I'd say Fletch could compliment Carrick IF he manages to get back to his BEST. That's a huge IF, though, and clearly too much to ask.

He wouldn't work as a back-up option, though, regardless of form. Not unless he comes back a different sort of player. Fletcher was never a DM/holder.

Best case scenario: He comes back as a squad man and we benefit from his experience and character for a good few seasons. If that happens I'll be very happy indeed. And anything beyond this would be an unprecedented bonus.
He was already modifying his game to be more of a DM in the matches he played this season, I imagine even if he gets back to playing more regularly he still wont be able to play as the box to box engine room man he was.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Hummels type centre back? Would have to be able to put on a fair bit of muscle but was always good in air and seems to have a good footballing brain.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Even if he was back to his best, I just think we should be thinking more ambitiously than Darren Fletcher as a CM starter. Good player though he was.

Also, regarding coaching, we shouldn't just be employing people because they're good lads. He's made a mint as a United player, and he's an intelligent and hard-working bloke. He'll do fine after his career ends, and if he ends up at United again it should be on merit, having done a bunch of other coaching jobs.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He was already modifying his game to be more of a DM in the matches he played this season, I imagine even if he gets back to playing more regularly he still wont be able to play as the box to box engine room man he was.
That's true. But he played in a midfield three (of sorts) in those matches. The "Carrick role" for us (in a midfield two) is a very different task.

Mind, this depends on Moyes, of course - we don't know to what extent he will move away from Fergie's brand of 4-4-2-ish football. My guess is that he will employ a three man midfield more often than Fergie did.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I don't think he should come back to be brutally honest. He'll never be at the top of his game again and he'll just be taking up a squad place/wages if he does. He won't be able to offer us his best again.
Even having read what Sammsky said ?

As I've stated before, I had the same condition as Fletcher and also had the surgery he has had.

Without surgery, the condition is dormant but when it 'flares' it massively impacts weight and fitness and vitality.

When I heard he was having surgery, I was more confident of his possible return than I was before he had the surgery.

If the surgery is successful, there is no reason why you cant get back to previous weight and fitness ... the surgery 'cures' the condition.

Would not surprise me at all to see him in the squad for pre-season and we take it from there.
I certainly don't see why we shouldn't give one of our best performers of seasons gone by a chance to come back?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This battle with time is getting harder with each passing week.

It would good to hear some major update before the next friendly tour.

We gave up on Hargreaves, we may even on Rooney but Fletch ? It would a real loss.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Even having read what Sammsky said ?

I certainly don't see why we shouldn't give one of our best performers of seasons gone by a chance to come back?
I think there is a huge difference to being fit and healthy as a 'regular person'...assuming Sammsky isn't a pro athlete, and regaining fitness as a professional footballer. Not to mention the fact he's not played consistently for the last 2 or 3 seasons. Getting back to full fitness is one challenge but actually replicating his form as the top midfielder he was in 2010, massive ask verging on impossible.

Most tend to say that if Fletcher's road to return is a reason for little or no investment in central midfield it's bonkers. Sure if he can prove his fitness he deserves a place in the squad but if he's showing signs of returning every summer and fades away by November, it's not ideal.

redspoony

Essentially what Chester says.

It's a massive surgery .... One requires a vertical 18 inch incision scar from just above the pubic region to the mid region of your chest. The surgery itself is complex and takes hours (mine was over 5 hours), and the surgery itself is not always successful. There is a 5-10% chance you die in surgery ... Though that is dependent on how sick you are going into the surgery. .. My stats were that I had a 40% risk of dying in surgery ... I was that sick! And you need to perform the same operation twice! About 3 months apart.

So basically, if its possible, avoid the surgery as some patients don't get that sick and can live with it (eg Steve Redgrave) but some like me or poor Fletch get so sick, surgery is the best route ... Which also is the 'cure' albeit a very tortuous way to get it!
Blimey.

First off mate I'm glad you came through it ok. Have you had the op twice now then?

That all makes a lot of sense in terms of it being major surgery and the hope of avoiding it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
40% chance, sammsky you're one brave man to have undergone it. Really happy that you've managed to beat it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Blimey.

First off mate I'm glad you came through it ok. Have you had the op twice now then?

That all makes a lot of sense in terms of it being major surgery and the hope of avoiding it.
Thanks for your concern and wishes - appreciated.

I wrote a long post About the whole experience in the original Fletcher illness thread; will look for it abit later and repost so you can get a better insight.

My episode was in 2004/5, yes I had both surgeries and am now fine, fit, healthy and condition free.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
40% chance, sammsky you're one brave man to have undergone it. Really happy that you've managed to beat it.
Thanks buddy. I only found out the stats after surgery. My surgeon told me it was 10% but told my parents the truth. They sat through the ordeal. Have no empathy for us they must have felt

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Thanks buddy. I only found out the stats after surgery. My surgeon told me it was 10% but told my parents the truth. They sat through the ordeal. Have no empathy for us they must have felt
That's really bad. We're taught in Med school the shit we'd get in to if we weren't totally honest with the patients - and that's just stuff like not telling the patient all of the side effects of a certain drug or something. But to not tell you that there is almost 50% you might not survive the operation - that's insane.

Glad you went through it.

Regarding Fletcher - my brain tells me he won't make the comeback, but I sure hope he will. I'd love for him to stay at United in some form after playing anyway. We sure miss his drive from midfield at times.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Here is the post I wrote about the condition known as ulcerative colitus and my experience on getting through it!

https://www.redcafe.net/10873080-post213.html
Thanks, man. That is, as they say, one hell of a story. Glad you made it, mate!

As for Fletcher - getting back to the levels of fitness required to play top level football must obviously be very hard. It will depend a lot on the individual, though: For some it might be impossible, for others it just might. Fletcher strikes me as a fighter. He will also have first rate facilities and staff to help him regain fitness. If his motivation is there I wouldn't rule it out.

Amir

He should obviously be given a chance to get back into football with us, hopefully it'll work well. But we certainly shouldn't be relying on this. Whatever we need in midfield must be done assuming he's not coming back. If he does, it's a great bonus.

Devil may care

That's true. But he played in a midfield three (of sorts) in those matches. The "Carrick role" for us (in a midfield two) is a very different task.

Mind, this depends on Moyes, of course - we don't know to what extent he will move away from Fergie's brand of 4-4-2-ish football. My guess is that he will employ a three man midfield more often than Fergie did.
I'm not sure what we'll be playing under Moyes, that's going to one of the most interesting aspects of next season. With Fletcher I think if this op allows him to get to greater levels of fitness he could play a DM role for us in a 2 man midfield against weaker PL teams, it's all a lot of maybes at the moment though.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league/25713-fletcher-to-return-for-united.php

Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher is set to be ready for action with the squad for the start of the new season.
The 29-year-old, who has been out for most of this term with a cronic bowel condition, looks to have recovered fully and it looks likely he will be ready for selection for the start of the new season later this year.
The Scotland international had been working with coaches in recent months at the club’s Carrington training ground to improve his fitness levels.
A club spokesman confirmed to SportsDirect News that Fletcher would be returning to the squad at the start of the season.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
As much as I love Fletcher and wish him a healthy recovery, I'm unsure if we can rely on his potential return to our midfield.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Like I said before, I don't think he should come back.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Ah Jesus Solius, in fairness you don't have any idea how he feels, how the condition has affected him, how much he will be involved or how successful he will be. It's a bit silly to say that when there's so many variables you know literally nothing about.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Ah Jesus Solius, in fairness you don't have any idea how he feels, how the condition has affected him, how much he will be involved or how successful he will be. It's a bit silly to say that when there's so many variables you know literally nothing about.

Couldn't resist.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It just seems he's never going to be as good as he was again. Plus from what I've read it could still flare up, it's not like he's cured. What if we don't sign an extra body because he's back and 2 months into the season he breaks down again?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
It just seems he's never going to be as good as he was again. Plus from what I've read it could still flare up, it's not like he's cured. What if we don't sign an extra body because he's back and 2 months into the season he breaks down again?
It's a risk, but it's one with minimal expenditure required. In my view its a calculated and good decision.

We give him one season after getting the operation and being able to get himself properly fit again. Worst case scenario he doesn't perform well and we release him or take him on as a coach. Best case scenario he regains his old form and is pivotal in our squad for next season. Maybe the extra competition and hunger he will bring for a place in midfield will make Anderson and Cleverley kick on too. God knows a bit of midfield competition wouldn't go astray, especially with a senior squad member in Scholes departing this season.

We're paying him anyway, we don't stand to lose anything and he certainly deserves a chance to recover after all those years of service he's given the club. I'll be honest, I think it would be a really, really silly decision not to give him a chance, and to get rid of another senior squad member during a period of such change.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
It's nice to hear he is back again and approaching good health, but I hope we aren't relying on him. By that I mean we should consider Fletcher as a bonus player, rather than hoping he is brought back to solve anything long-term. Although I obviously know nothing on the situation, I'd imagine Fletcher isn't being brought back over or instead of anyone else anyway, in the sense that if we have identified another player in his position, we won't stop pursuing them just because he is back to fitness.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
It's a risk, but it's one with minimal expenditure required. In my view its a calculated and good decision.

We give him one season after getting the operation and being able to get himself properly fit again. Worst case scenario he doesn't perform well and we release him or take him on as a coach. Best case scenario he regains his old form and is pivotal in our squad for next season. Maybe the extra competition and hunger he will bring for a place in midfield will make Anderson and Cleverley kick on too. God knows a bit of midfield competition wouldn't go astray, especially with a senior squad member in Scholes departing this season.

We're paying him anyway, we don't stand to lose anything and he certainly deserves a chance to recover after all those years of service he's given the club. I'll be honest, I think it would be a really, really silly decision not to give him a chance, and to get rid of another senior squad member during a period of such change.
Say a proper football supporter who don't like Fletch? Off course we shall give him a chance but my, and many other supporters, expectations are so low that I'm glad he's just healthy and fit to exercise.

Can he make a sensational come back then fair to him but he's not the answer to our mf problems.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I don't think we should "rely" on Fletcher (whatever that highly ambiguous term means), but he'd be a good 4th/5th/6th choice midfielder to have in the squad. With a 25 man squad + youngsters there is plenty of space for him.

In this thread sammsky1, who had the condition too, has repeatedly stated that the surgery that Fletcher has gone under does indeed 'cure' the problem, and would prevent a future flare up.

OJKernow

I'd look at it as Fletcher coming in to replace Scholes. (In terms of a squad place and the amount of playing time I'd imagine he'd get) and that we will still be looking to add another midfielder if the right target is available at the right price.

Either way it's great to hear that he is close to a return. I don't imagine he will have the same sharpness straight away but he was brilliant in the more recent years before his illness and will be a great addition to the squad.

Goooose

He's a welcome addition to the squad but he's hardly going to be the linchpin in midfield is he? I think he'll have called it a day by this time next year.

Will Absolute

I don't think we should "rely" on Fletcher (whatever that highly ambiguous term means), but he'd be a good 4th/5th/6th choice midfielder to have in the squad. With a 25 man squad + youngsters there is plenty of space for him.

In this thread sammsky1, who had the condition too, has repeatedly stated that the surgery that Fletcher has gone under does indeed 'cure' the problem, and would prevent a future prevent.
Yep. My only knowledge of this condition comes from sammsky's posts, but he did say that sufferers who come through the (life threatening) surgery can make a full recovery - as he did. Fletcher is still alive, so there's reason to be optimistic.

I imagine the club will take expert medical advice, and won't put all its eggs in Fletcher's basket without knowing the full score.

I figure we're nailed on to bring in at least one midfielder anyway.

I hope Fletch makes it back. He risked his life for the chance. So he deserves it.