Darren Fletcher

Devil may care

I was obviously mistaken when I thought I'd read he'd be ready for pre-season. Hopefully he can modify his game as SAF suggested and provide good cover for Carrick, he's shown tremendous resolve to battle on this long rather than just retire and go onto the coaching staff.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I want him to be our captain again.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
Just seen Fletch at The Open at Muirfield, he looked good.

Drifter

American
Had a word with a reporter at the Open and says in a few weeks he hopes to get the green light to join in on training and believes he is on the right track.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23395972

Manchester United's Darren Fletcher to miss start of season
Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher is stepping up his recovery after a bowel operation but expects to miss the start of the season.
The 29-year-old Scotland international has been out since Boxing Day and in January had surgery on a long-standing problem of ulcerative colitis.

Asked when he would be back, Fletcher told BBC Radio 5 live: "Hopefully, not too long after the start of the season.
"I think I will just miss the beginning of the season."
Fletcher had to take an extended break from the game in December 2011 because of the chronic bowel disease, and it flared up again 12 months later.
"I've had it for five years but really struggled to control it for the last three years," said the Scotland captain. "It's had a big impact on my day-to-day life, never mind trying to play football.
"Medication wasn't helping me but surgery was the only solution if I wanted to have not only a future playing football but even a quality of life going forward.
He added: "It's all going well. I am still under the hands of the medical team just now and the surgeon who is looking after me. Everything is going to plan so far and I am not that far away now.
"I am doing exercise on my own. I've not been given the green light to join in contact in football training but I am doing my own running and physical activities and feel great. Hopefully, in the next few weeks I am going to get the green light to join in and to start making the comeback, which is looking very good."
Fletcher had been hoping to be ready in time to play in Scotland's match against England on 14 August at Wembley, but he concedes that will not now be possible.
The match will be sandwiched in between the Community Shield on 11 August and the start of the Premier League campaign on 17 August.
Fletcher was quick to reject any idea there will be many withdrawals from the Scotland camp because of the scheduling.
"From the Scotland side of it, [England] is the game that you want to play in when [you] are growing up.
"Maybe England might have a few call-offs but I definitely know in the Scotland camp we won't have many call-offs. I know all the lads will desperate to play in that match.
"It's been so long since we have played against England. Everyone has grown up with stories from their parents or people in football about the old games at Wembley and the old Home Nations matches and how fierce they were.
"Definitely in the Scotland camp we are looking forward to it."
cher told BBC Radio 5 live: "Hopefully, not too long after the start of the season.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Promising, but it's a shame he can't make the Scotland game. Would have been a good opportunity to gauge where he was at.

Stickles

He'll probably officially retire sooner or later. The club should and will keep him around. Probably cramming for his UEFA licences if he hasn't got them already.

Giggsforever

He still have two years left on his contract, so he has the time to try for a comeback. I think the lack of football will have hurt him, so it's not just a matter of getting back to fitness, it's also a matter of getting used to play football again. I think the odds are against him.

I just hope he can recover to the point that he can have a life without great pain and discomfort.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Sir Alex is still in the club and Moyes is not the kind of manager or man in general that will just reject someone because of unfortunate disease. Whatever the verdict on his health is, he'll be United bound.

With his overall intelligence and tactical sense that is widely respected in the club, his further future may much brighter than it looks, right now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Sir Alex is still in the club and Moyes is not the kind of manager or man in general that will just reject someone because of unfortunate disease. Whatever the verdict on his health is, he'll be United bound.

With his overall intelligence and tactical sense that is widely respected in the club, his further future may much brighter than it looks, right now.
I don't think it would be as cold as that. Just that he may not be able to be healthy enough to contribute to the squad on the playing side. The concern is that even if Fletch gets back to playing, it would be a huge ask to get to a level where he can contribute positively for a team of our size.

I know he was doing some coaching with the reserves last season or so, and I think we'll see him return to that soon.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
What he is saying I think is that if a top CM is available we should get him and that there's no point in signing loads of Cm's especially with Fletcher coming back as well.

cj_sparky

I hope Fletch can get back to some sort of level that is good enough for United, with all the time he has spent out with his condition and the football/training he has missed I just cannot see it.

gza the genius

At best he was a passenger last season, I can't see him being any more than that in the future especially now that he's had even more time out of the game.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
At best he was a passenger last season, I can't see him being any more than that in the future especially now that he's had even more time out of the game.
The Fletcher thing has become yet another round-in-circles routine, but here goes again: He was still suffering from the condition last season, unable to gain weight properly, etc. If his series of operations turns out successful he will be cured of the condition - and it appears it has been successful. We'll see what form he can get back to in due time, but the fact that he is now hopefully cured makes an enormous difference: The situation now isn't comparable to last season at all.

Does anyone know the details of his final surgery? I understand it was a minor operation, and given the recent statements I can only assume everything went well and that he is now - finally - in the clear.

gza the genius

Even still, he's almost 30 now and is coming back after essentially missing two whole seasons. I really just don't think there's much of a chance he'll be back even close to his best, and he's certainly not someone we should be relying on. I do hope I'm wrong though.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
I agree with gza he has been out of the game for the best part of 2 years, he was a good solid player while he was at his best, but I wouldn't be expecting too much from him.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The Fletcher thing has become yet another round-in-circles routine, but here goes again: He was still suffering from the condition last season, unable to gain weight properly, etc. If his series of operations turns out successful he will be cured of the condition - and it appears it has been successful. We'll see what form he can get back to in due time, but the fact that he is now hopefully cured makes an enormous difference: The situation now isn't comparable to last season at all.

Does anyone know the details of his final surgery? I understand it was a minor operation, and given the recent statements I can only assume everything went well and that he is now - finally - in the clear.
Yep, reported in the press a short while back, probably posted on pages before this one. Medically now all clear.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
No, but then again I don't think anyone at the club is really expecting all that much either. It's just a matter of letting him get back into full fitness and then take it from there. Moyes is obviously not relying on Fletcher to fix our CM issues, that isn't something we need to worry about. He'll be using him very cautiously, no doubt, in lesser tournaments and matches to begin with.

If we can get Fletcher back as an option/squad man it will be a great bonus. And there's no downside here. He won't stand in the way of anyone or anything - if it turns out he's been out for too long, well, I'm sure he'll acknowledge this himself: He strikes me as a very sensible bloke.

Ole'sbodyguard

Any news on Fletcher? Fact that no one has posted anything on him for over a month suggests there probably is none.

Last update on this thread suggests he is medically cleared to play and as he has had surgery in an attempt to correct his illness.

Heard nothing on him from Moyes.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Any news on Fletcher? Fact that no one has posted anything on him for over a month suggests there probably is none.
This was on the BBC about 3 weeks ago...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23575218

Scotland captain Darren Fletcher has never thought of quitting football despite suffering from a chronic bowel condition for nearly three years.
The Manchester United midfielder, 29, has featured in only 13 games since announcing he was taking an extended break from football in November 2011.
"It's never been an issue to give up and not try," said Fletcher, who has not played since surgery in January.
"It's a game I love and I feel I've got a lot more to achieve."
Fletcher, capped 61 times, has already enjoyed a glittering career, including four championships with United and a Champions League triumph.
"I've been through some tough times but there has always been a goal to get back playing," he explained.
"I want to win more Premier League titles, I want to win FA Cups, Champions League, qualify for a major tournament with my country.
"Even if I do that, I want to do it all again!"
Fletcher admits he still has no idea when he will be able to resume playing but is confident he can regain his best form.

"I fully believe that I'll be back at the level I was playing at," he said. "I've not been given any reason to think that can't be the case.
"I need to be positive. It's the only way to get through the situation. I don't have a timescale for when I will be back playing really.
"Hopefully, it is not going to be too far away. I just need to be patient."

Fletcher's last appearance was on Boxing Day as an 89th-minute substitute and he admits that it is "always difficult watching".
But he has been heartened by discussions with David Moyes, who has succeeded Sir Alex Ferguson as manager at Old Trafford.
"I'm still in the hands of the surgeons at the moment," continued the midfielder.
"I've been doing my own little bit in the gym, which is keeping me ticking along nicely and I'm waiting for the surgeon to give me the go-ahead to join in training.
"I've spoken to the manager and he's great, we had a good chat and everything in that respect is positive.
"He's given me all the time and support I need to make a full recovery.
"I just can't wait to go back when I'm ready to get back training, not just plodding around no use to anyone."

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Still feel bad for him. Just when he was starting to get the recognition he deserved he gets this. What an absolute shame.

RonaldoVII

I'd be surprised if he gets registered in either PL or CL squad, unless we have empty spaces. At best there could be a few COC games for him to try.

Ole'sbodyguard

I'd be surprised if he gets registered in either PL or CL squad, unless we have empty spaces. At best there could be a few COC games for him to try.

Can we play him in the Capital one cup, if he's not registered? I always thought registration was for all DOMESTIC competitions and not just the league. I know the CL registration is different.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Can we play him in the Capital one cup, if he's not registered? I always thought registration was for all DOMESTIC competitions and not just the league. I know the CL registration is different.
Pretty sure the cups are seperate, but not certain. Last season vs Chelsea in the league cup we played Keane, Wootton and Tunnicliffe with Vermijl and Johnstone on the bench - and they certainly weren't registered in the 25 man squad.

If he gets fit, Fletch would make a good experienced CM for that competition and the kids could learn from him. I think you get to re-register the 25 man squad in January, so if he's looking good then he might be in with a shout.

Ole'sbodyguard

Pretty sure the cups are seperate, but not certain. Last season vs Chelsea in the league cup we played Keane, Wootton and Tunnicliffe with Vermijl and Johnstone on the bench - and they certainly weren't registered in the 25 man squad.

If he gets fit, Fletch would make a good experienced CM for that competition and the kids could learn from him. I think you get to re-register the 25 man squad in January, so if he's looking good then he might be in with a shout.

I know you don't have to register players below a certain age. Would not all of those players have fallen under that rule?

SER19

:drool: going to be like a new signing

edit: no update on fitness