Darren Fletcher's break from football

eric le roi

Thanks for the replies.

I was just wondering because I am contracted in at the moment, but doubt I am covered should I become physically unable to do my job! Interesting, that.
Unless you are a professional sportsman or have some sort of clause in your contract specifically covering it, why would you be covered? Does doing your job bring about a risk of injury?

No professional sportsman in his right mind would ever sign on the dotted line if the contract said they wouldn't be paid if they were injured or ill. Injuries are part of the job, in fact are caused by the job (usually).

Anyway, the club insures against this sort of thing if that's what you're worried about.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's a pundit on Sky today and he's looking a bit better I think. Got a bit of weight back on him which makes him look a lot healthier.

Ivor Ballokov

Great to see him looking healthy. Seemed very comfortable in the punditry chair (when he could get a word in) and could definitely see him doing more of it in the future.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Fletch looked a lot healthier today and it was great to see.

I just hope that he's getting all of this under control. He's young enough to take a year to 18 months out, so there is no need to rush his recovery.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Like others have said, great to see him looking healthier, definitely looked like he's regained some weight.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Great to see him looking healthy. Seemed very comfortable in the punditry chair (when he could get a word in) and could definitely see him doing more of it in the future.
Totally agree. I wonder whether he would have been given the captains arm band in vidic's absence had he been fit?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Fletcher: "I'm still on the medication, I'm still not training, but slowly but surely I'm getting better."

eric le roi

He had a bit of a suntan which always helps but yeah he looked healthy. Hope it proceeds well for him.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I think he should be a pundit next to Redknapp every week, he'd be back in no time what with laughter being food for the soul.

99 red balloons

I keep thinking back to his last couple of games for us - Benfica at home in particular - best player on the park that night, which knowing what he has/was/is going through is a truly remarkable feat.

99 red balloons

I've always liked him personally as well - met him a couple of times and genuinely top bloke - much more personable than a lot of footballers.

Also, after the Porto game at Old Trafford a few years back (the gutting, wrenching Mourinho night - when they cheated and dived their way to snatching that victory) I was in the South Stand that night and waited back at the end to clap the players off - as Fletcher walked by I shouted "Played Darren - chin up lad" and he looked up, smiled and gave me the thumbs up.

Tiny thing I know, but the majority would never do it.

Transfer United Till I Die

I am totally in the know, honest
Everyone has different experiences of illness but my dad suffers from the same condition and has done most of his life. Simply from my experience of it it's hard to see how fletch could play consistently at the highest level again. To be honest I'd imagine his biggest worry at the mo will be the quite high likelihood of getting bowel cancer further down the line. I really hold Im wrong though. I'm sure he'll give the comeback his all.

Amir

I'm hoping he returns and returns to his best. But I hope we don't end up with another Hargreaves on our hands - waiting forever for a player who might never be back, certainly to his best. Which is a distinct possibility.

Name Changed

weso26
If anyone could come back from it, it would be him. He seems to have that kind of determination and love for the game/club. I hope United give him every opportunity, and go beyond what they normally would for another player in a similar situation, to get him back.

redevil2

We wish him all the best and pray he will come back strong next season! Come on Fletcher!!!

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It may be possible for him to play professional football with this condition, and it may not. Get well soon Darren, I hope you learn to deal with it

eric le roi

Interview with Darren Fletcher:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/17517779

Manchester Utd's Darren Fletcher hopes to return for new season

Scotland captain Darren Fletcher talks to BBC Scotland's Rob Maclean about his health and extended break from Manchester United and international football.

Please note, available to UK users only.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Fletcher set for summer push

Darren Fletcher will start work on rebuilding his fitness soon, according to manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

After the Scotland captain admitted in a recent interview that he is listening to the medical people and trying to get himself right, his boss is looking to the summer to try and step up his fellow countryman's return.

"Darren's coaching with the Reserves and is going to start a programme quite soon in terms of getting his fitness up," revealed Sir Alex. "But he'll have a go at it and do his best.

"I think the big push will be in pre-season to try and get back to the level he was at."

:cool:

lynchie

[insert insensitive joke regarding phrase "big push" here]

Good to hear. Hope he's able to make some sort of comeback in preseason.

Nathan

Lets just continue to pray that he recovers. Everyone would agree that we miss his energy in the middle of the park.

Good luck Darren!

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Now this may be a little cold and a bit ruthless but I hope the possibility of having Fletch back doesn't affect Fergusons plans for a central midfielder in the summer because it has echoes of the Hargreaves saga all over it.

If we count Fletcher into our squad and decide we are ok in the middle, then come the season and after a few games his problem flares up again we will find ourselves in just the same position - a 25 man spot taken up and another year before we can make the investment we need to.

Now I have the greatest respect for Fletcher, he's actually one of my favourite players because his mentality is every bit as strong as anyone that has ever played for this club and that makes him a true United player and in 2009/2010 I think he was a genuinely world class defensive midfielder. But I do think it's something that needs serious thought come the summer, if we decide to count on him and after 5 games he withdraws again, we are in big trouble.