Darren Fletcher's break from football

Edmeiste

Would prefer to keep it private between he and I ... confidentiality etc.

But the gist of it is that I explained to him, in intimate detail, the trials and tribulations I went through when I suffered from the condition (which I have also shared, in part, in this thread, some recommendations on doctors, surgery procedure options and surgeons. Most importantly, I stressed to him that I am living evidence that one can had fully recovered within a year and believed he could do too and resume his career with us. Of course I also told him how highly I rated him as a player and gave him this thread link to read the well wishes.

He wrote back quite a lengthy reply, of course thanking me for writing, saying that he felt alot of strength from reading the thread and that he was determined to overcome UC like I did. He then asked lots of questions about UC, which I have then also replied too. We agreed to stay in touch as things develop for him and he said to look him up should I find myself at OT in the future (unlikely as I live between London & Asia)

I wont say anything else on any continued discussion - hope you all understand his right to privacy.
sammsky, you're a classy man and I mean that in all sincerity. Thanks for sharing

Name Changed

weso26

But the gist of it is that I explained to him, in intimate detail, the trials and tribulations I went through when I suffered from the condition (which I have also shared, in part, in this thread, some recommendations on doctors, surgery procedure options and surgeons. Most importantly, I stressed to him that I am living evidence that one can had fully recovered within a year and believed he could do too and resume his career with us. Of course I also told him how highly I rated him as a player and gave him this thread link to read the well wishes.

He wrote back quite a lengthy reply, of course thanking me for writing, saying that he felt alot of strength from reading the thread and that he was determined to overcome UC like I did. He then asked lots of questions about UC, which I have then also replied too. We agreed to stay in touch as things develop for him and he said to look him up should I find myself at OT in the future (unlikely as I live between London & Asia)

I wont say anything else on any continued discussion - hope you all understand his right to privacy.
Great stuff.

Agent Red

Good man sammsky, great gesture. I'm sure it's a boost for him to have that kind of kindness from someone who can understand more than the rest of us what it's like to battle with.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
so Daren fecking Fletcher wants to see you when you're in Manchester? Wow, man. I envy you.
Fletch reads the Caf? Thanks for that Sammsky, nice of you to share that and Fletch sounds like a top bloke.
you made us proud samms...cheers.
sammsky, you're a classy man and I mean that in all sincerity. Thanks for sharing
Great gesture Sam!

Respect
Great stuff.
Good man sammsky, great gesture. I'm sure it's a boost for him to have that kind of kindness from someone who can understand more than the rest of us what it's like to battle with.
When I fell ill 8 years ago, many previous UC sufferers whom had fully recovered (but whom I never knew but were friends of friends etc) wrote to me, visited me and gave me information, direction, hope and inspiration .... so Im merely doing what was done to me at the time as it helped me alot.

Im sure you would all have done the same (written to me or Fletcher) if you had the experience to pass on ... I'd like to think its something any normal human being would do. I'd even write to Suarez with the same info if I came to know he had UC.

Thanks for your kind comments though ... I tell you, ultimately we all take good health so for granted ... and we shouldn't. It the greatest gift God (or whatever you prescribe to) gave us. We need to be so mindful to keep good care of it and be thankful for every day we are given.

Eriku

Fletcher was truly world class in 2007-2009, for about a season and a half. I don't say that lightly because i had been one of those who had written Fletch off prior to those seasons, thinking he was only good enough at best, to be a squad player. But in those two seasons, he really dominated the midfield, even if it was against the better teams in the premier league like chelsea, arsenal, liverpool. He would tackle, read the game well, play brilliant through passes (from time to time), had this super move where he'd just turn with the outside of his foot to move in the opposite direction which he was travelling. Sometimes i put him up there just a notch below the likes of Robbo and Keane, such was his performances in those seasons.

Many united fans wont remember that simply because of how short a period he was truly world class, plus we had others in our team which really excited such as ronaldo, rooney. I always wondered why he became so good yet regressed so badly after this virus. There were times when i thought those brilliant seasons were one season wonders, so much so that he had just been a mediocre player who somehow raised his game to being world class for a season and a half.

Its now clear to me though, that without the illness, Fletch would still be dominating for us in midfield, possibly giving us the same level of performance - its just the illness that took it all away, not him being a one season wonder. Its a shame really because he really was world class in those seasons and one can only imagine how he may have improved further and replaced scholes properly.

I'll keep reminding myself that Fletch was on the way to greatness but for the injury.

Get well soon.
Very good post, this. I loved seeing his progression... He was steadily adding traits and tricks to his trade and was an absolute dynamo by the end before his dip in form and illness. To put him in the tier just below Robbo and Keane sort of catches what I think too... If he can return to play and get back into his groove, slowly but surely, we might still see him give us a fair few years of him adding steel to our midfield and drive to our forward play. I'd love that :)

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Very good post, this. I loved seeing his progression... He was steadily adding traits and tricks to his trade and was an absolute dynamo by the end before his dip in form and illness. To put him in the tier just below Robbo and Keane sort of catches what I think too... If he can return to play and get back into his groove, slowly but surely, we might still see him give us a fair few years of him adding steel to our midfield and drive to our forward play. I'd love that :)
Skholesy makes some very good points above. The fact that we now know Fletcher has suffered on and off for over 4 years (makes sense as this thing comes and goes) and yet managed to deliver two monumental seasons in 2006/7 and 2007/8 is just phenomenal. Obviously the condition would have been 'in remission' and not been active ... but you still do get the odd symptom and that is at the very least mentally disturbing.

It may also explain his relatively late development. For a long time when we all jibed that Flech must be SAFs love child as not many could see why SAF persisted with this skinny lad, he was probably affected then too .... but SAF knows talent in young players when he sees it and was just patient and persisted.

I've personally always loved Fletcher .... I credit him and JOS with our 2006/7 PL title, probably my 2nd my favourite PL titles win under SAF (1992/3 obviously being the best!). That season, it was our fringe players who came to the fore along with the newly arrived Carrick and started us off again on a new era of dominance. Given he had the condition even then, my admiration for him has gone up even higher.

Through these actions alone, he has shown without doubt that he has the mental ability to come through.

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
Weren't his 2 best seasons 08-10?

Interval

Level
Inconsiderate of who? A man who's never going to read this?

If you want to show respect by saying 'I hope he's OK' then that's entirely up to you, I'm not trying to argue that you shouldn't do that, but to insist that others don't talk about the footballing impact, especially when his actions on the pitch are pretty much the only reason anyone here knows who he is, let alone cares if he gets an illness, is out of order.

I agree that it must be terrible for him, but this is a Manchester United forum, it's perfectly normal to discuss the impact of the injury on Manchester United.
Happy now?!?

Great work sammsky.

RedLars

Ah, I completely forgot you were the one with personal experience in the matter. Great to hear that you reached out though, Sammsky, and that you got a good response as well.

Be sure to let us know if you ever get the chance to meet up with Fletch!

Kinky Melinky

Good man ! Well done

BaldwinLegend

5Live's commentators reporting he's at the game - John Murray said he didn't look good, Lawro said he'd talked to him and Fletcher had said he was feeling better...

What I'd give for him to make a shock Scholesy like comeback!! Can see it happening before the season end...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What I'd give for him to make a shock Scholesy like comeback!! Can see it happening before the season end...
We could do with him, for sure, but I want him to have a really good break and get back to 100%. His health is more important than our "midfield crisis".

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
No great surprise but Fergie has confirmed he wont be back this season.

Fingers crossed he's back next year.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Of course it would be great to see him return, but primarily I just hope he recovers to as close to full health as possible.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Damn... my other half won't be happy about this at all.

Kelvin

no point rushing him back, health is more important to darren right now.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think that with the return of Scholes, we can afford to give him as long as he needs. There's really no need to rush him back now.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Just as a matter of interest, would he still be getting paid during this does anyone know?

Just curious :).

izzydiggler

The way I see it is that his career may be over - any comeback would likely result in a loss of performance and at best, he could return to his previous level but it would be a long time and at his age, it wouldn't be for long.

Either way, he cannot be factored in to our squad and can only be considered a 'bonus'.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Thanks for the replies.

I was just wondering because I am contracted in at the moment, but doubt I am covered should I become physically unable to do my job! Interesting, that.

Ole'sbodyguard

Thanks for the replies.

I was just wondering because I am contracted in at the moment, but doubt I am covered should I become physically unable to do my job! Interesting, that.
Depends on your employment contact. I get paid six months contractual sick pay(which ain't bad) if I can't work and then I would have to rely on Statutory Sick Pay, the same as most people would, if I was unable to work for longer than that.

Your much more likely to get an injury if you are a sportsmen so their employment contacts would be very different.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

You are a proper class act mate.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
i keep thinking of the reception he will get should he play again.....sends shivers down my spine just imagining it.....

Galactic

Incorrigible pest

That is class, man. You made me proud to be a United supporter.

And if Fletch is reading this thread, I have one thing to say to him:
We would have beaten Barca in 2009 if you didnt get unfairly sent off. You were at you peak back then. I wish you all the best in your fight against this unfortunate disease and I hope you will be back at the very best of your footballing form. You are better than Viera at your peak.

Hans Moleman

@PeterBolton3
Great news at the Reserves. Darren Fletcher is coaching the pre-game warm up. Scholes was doing this role until promoted back to 1st team!

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
All that matters is the long term health of Fletch. At the end of the day football is just a fecking game.

If it is true and he has in fact battled this awful disease for four years, then this guy is a fecking warrior! Some of his performances in that time have been simply breathtaking.

EricaNo7

All that matters is the long term health of Fletch. At the end of the day football is just a fecking game.

If it is true and he has in fact battled this awful disease for four years, then this guy is a fecking warrior! Some of his performances in that time have been simply breathtaking.

It is an awful disease, you're right, some days my son couldn't even get to school, so how on earth Fletcher managed to play, and play so well, is amazing.

RedLars

As long as he keeps working on that beard, he'll make an excellent coach I'm sure!

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
great news. The other day SAF said that Fletch drove to Carrington as he wanted leave his house and make his mind focus on something else. I think it will be a big psychological boost for the lad, that role. and tbh small things like that make me proud to support United.