Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
:lol: I see where you're coming from Boss. Gibson would be a decent premiership player for a Newcastle, Fulhams of this world. But I think he deserves another year to establish himself and see if the pressure from Cleverly/Morrison/Pogba forces him to up his game. He still has time.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I actually thought it was one of his best games on Tuesday. I don't care about the blockbuster goals and ability to shoot (well obviously it's nice, but it's only a bonus), the main thing a central midfielder needs to do is be constantly making himself available to receive the ball and keep the centre of the pitch ticking over.

And that's what Gibson has always struggled with. He drifts through games where he'll go 20 minutes and barely touch the ball, where our players can have the ball and be desperately looking to offload it to someone and Gibson is nowhere to be seen. And when the opposition have the ball he doesn't normally do enough to cut off their avenues of passing.

But against Stoke he seemed to get on the ball a hell of a lot more. When our players were looking to pass it he was normally in positions where he could receive it and was basically just making himself available. And that enabled the team as a whole to function a lot better than it normally does when he's playing in a two man midfield.

Now, some will say that if that was one of his best games, it shows that he's not good enough to play for us. But the way I see it, if he can become a solid dependable player then I've no problem with him sticking around as a squad player (similar to O'Shea).

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I thought Barry was terrible last night.Kept losing the ball and comitting fouls, he's out of his depth.Just like Milner, 2 average players who should never have left Villa.
Gibson is IMO not that worse from Barry, the difference is the playing time Barry has

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri
I actually thought it was one of his best games on Tuesday. I don't care about the blockbuster goals and ability to shoot (well obviously it's nice, but it's only a bonus), the main thing a central midfielder needs to do is be constantly making himself available to receive the ball and keep the centre of the pitch ticking over.

And that's what Gibson has always struggled with. He drifts through games where he'll go 20 minutes and barely touch the ball, where our players can have the ball and be desperately looking to offload it to someone and Gibson is nowhere to be seen. And when the opposition have the ball he doesn't normally do enough to cut off their avenues of passing.

But against Stoke he seemed to get on the ball a hell of a lot more. When our players were looking to pass it he was normally in positions where he could receive it and was basically just making himself available. And that enabled the team as a whole to function a lot better than it normally does when he's playing in a two man midfield.
Now, some will say that if that was one of his best games, it shows that he's not good enough to play for us. But the way I see it, if he can become a solid dependable player then I've no problem with him sticking around as a squad player (similar to O'Shea).
Excellent post. I saw this myself, the way I saw it he slotted in very nicely.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
for what its worth, i watched the Stoke game again for a 2nd time, just to focus on Gibson (sad i know). His performance was decent enough. The only time i thought "agghhh" was when one of the stoke players beat him for pace, cutting in from the wing and getting a shot away (that vidic blocked). Gibbo looked a bit sluggish on that.

But centrally, i thought him and Fletcher linked up well, he used the ball quite well and always looked to get pass and moves going with other players. He certainly was better than some are giving him credit for.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
But centrally, i thought him and Fletcher linked up well, he used the ball quite well and always looked to get pass and moves going with other players. He certainly was better than some are giving him credit for.
I think the majority of us on here would agree with that. Was one of Gibsons better games and played well with Fletcher (who himself had a decent game). They seem to be a good natural pairing.

acnumber9

If Tuesday was an example of one of Gibson's better games then that says a lot about his other performances. As 5th choice midfielders go then we could do worse. There are occassions when he is worth throwing on from the bench if we need a goal but I don't see him ever being any more than that and I think fans are concerened that given Scholes being near the end, doubts over Anderson and Carrick and our seeming lack of investment that Gibson will be fast tracked up the pecking order into a more regular starting position.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
People think there's a possibility that Gibson might be fast-tracked ahead of Anderson or Carrick? You're joking, surely? Otherwise that means he's stuck in 4th place even when Scholes is gone, and it's highly likely there will be another centre mid brought in once he is gone, which takes him back to 5th place.

acnumber9

People think there's a possibility that Gibson might be fast-tracked ahead of Anderson or Carrick? You're joking, surely? Otherwise that means he's stuck in 4th place even when Scholes is gone, and it's highly likely there will be another centre mid brought in once he is gone, which takes him back to 5th place.
You haven't seen the threads casting doubts on Anderson and Carrick's future at the club? In fairness I could be totally wrong, just putting my perception across. I have had huge doubts about Anderson staying for one reason or another. Given we often play three in midfield I think it's fair to say that a 4th choice midfielder would start plenty of games.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I'm caught in two minds about Gibson. He's not as bad as some people make out, not by a long shot, but at the same time at the age of 23 he's really a pedestrian in our midfield when he plays. I've always been one of Fletcher's most loyal supporters, and even when he was given a lot of stick I sort of could see the potential in his game when played in CM. In Gibson's case, I just don't think he offers enough mobility to play in a 2-man midfield. This is obviously a problem, as the rest of his game is perfect for a CM.

Another issues is his lack of tempo and turning ratio, he's really, really easy to beat for pace and easily loses his man to a dribble. The other things he lack, one could see him learning with games, things like positioning, wanting the ball, maturity in his choices on the ball(I.E. don't shoot all the time), defensive dicipline, putting himself about a bit more, utilise his passing a bit more etc. Looking at that list though, isn't it a bit too much to expect him to improve all those things enough to earn his place here?

That said, as a 5th/6th choice midfielder you're not going to do much better, really, and he's a decent squad player who'll chip in with a few goals as well.

golden_blunder

Staff
If Tuesday was an example of one of Gibson's better games then that says a lot about his other performances. As 5th choice midfielders go then we could do worse. There are occassions when he is worth throwing on from the bench if we need a goal but I don't see him ever being any more than that and I think fans are concerened that given Scholes being near the end, doubts over Anderson and Carrick and our seeming lack of investment that Gibson will be fast tracked up the pecking order into a more regular starting position.
For his best game, rewatch the CL semi against Bayern

Im still convinced he would have blasted a 2nd goal if the bloody ref hadnt got in the way of his shot

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I have had huge doubts about Anderson staying for one reason or another.
Other than us giving him a new contract and Ferguson saying he hopes the lad will replace Scholes?

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle

Im still convinced he would have blasted a 2nd goal if the bloody ref hadnt got in the way of his shot

Well, yeah, and in that game he was played as a pure attacking midfielder, in front of two CMs. I haven't seen a great game from him in a two-man midfield.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Gibson is IMO not that worse from Barry, the difference is the playing time Barry has
I can't believe what I'm reading. You compare Gibson to Barry. I'm by no means a fan of Barry but there must be some realism even in the Redcafe. What's next. Maybe we should fear a bid from Mourinho and Guardiola? Reality check please!

acnumber9

Other than us giving him a new contract and Ferguson saying he hopes the lad will replace Scholes?
More when he went awol last year, fell out with Fergie, got injured, had a car crash and piled on the pounds. Anderson's future has been in doubt for a while I would say. What you're saying only happened recently. I would have doubts of Anderson's ability to replace Scholes.

acnumber9

No need to rewatch it. I can recall the game and would agree it was his best game but how many games has Gibson started now and we can point to two maybe three decent games and Tuesday night was one of the better ones apparently?

golden_blunder

Staff
He was also very good when we tonked West Ham 4 nil at Upton Park last season (a game in which he scored)

But yes, he's never really impressed in a two man midfield. That's not the end of the world though. It's all about options.
During that run last season he scored a few goals. Gibson is a cofidence player, he looks like a completely different player when he has confidence. How does he get that if he doesn't get a run of games? I've said it before, if he cant get a run of games here he needs to look away for his own sake. Too many of our fans are impatient and unforgiving when it comes to giving players a chance. 1 game is all it takes for someone to make up their mind it seems.

Care_de_Bobo

I can't believe what I'm reading. You compare Gibson to Barry. I'm by no means a fan of Barry but there must be some realism even in the Redcafe. What's next. Maybe we should fear a bid from Mourinho and Guardiola? Reality check please!
You're making out like Barry is a footballing God or something, I'd argue that Gibson is a more talented player than Gareth Barry, I'd argue that my Nan is a better player than Barry though after his showing at the world cup injury or no injury.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
no seriously, is Barry really better than Gibson?

the one that plays for Shitty not the Villa version

I don't see such a gulf between them

acnumber9

During that run last season he scored a few goals. Gibson is a cofidence player, he looks like a completely different player when he has confidence. How does he get that if he doesn't get a run of games? I've said it before, if he cant get a run of games here he needs to look away for his own sake. Too many of our fans are impatient and unforgiving when it comes to giving players a chance. 1 game is all it takes for someone to make up their mind it seems.
Wolves fans must've been too impatient too. Maybe they were too spoilt to appreciate Gibson.

7even

You're making out like Barry is a footballing God or something, I'd argue that Gibson is a more talented player than Gareth Barry, I'd argue that my Nan is a better player than Barry though after his showing at the world cup injury or no injury.
No I don't!

Barry is a decent player. Good enough to play every week in City and Villa. Good enough for Capello. For me that's a good record.

Don't compare apples to orange's. Come back when Gibson has been a regular in a top team for a couple a seasons. He can start to earn a place in Uniteds first XI when the whole squad is available.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Looks like I'm not the only who is thinking that.Barry is a shit player specially since he signed for Man City.In terms of actual performances, I just can't see his use for City.What's the point of playing him ?
It's my opinion of course but I don't think Gibson is that worse from Barry, it's just that Barry is allowed to play more than him.
As for Capello calling him up and that being good enough, that's a poor argument.I mean he's made Heskey one of his regulars, it just shows that just because a manager decides to trust a certain player doesn't mean the player is necessarily a good one.
Just because Gibson isn't a regular at United doesn't mean he cannot be compared with Barry.It can be done up to a certain extent

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
No I don't!

Barry is a decent player. Good enough to play every week in City and Villa. Good enough for Capello. For me that's a good record.

Don't compare apples to orange's. Come back when Gibson has been a regular in a top team for a couple a seasons. He can start to earn a place in Uniteds first XI when the whole squad is available.
mate Heskey is good enough for Capello!

Care_de_Bobo

No I don't!

I'm pretty sure Gibson would be able to nail down a spot for Aston Villa at least, playing time has little to do with ability in this case, more to do with manager's preference and the fact that Barry fits into a certain system because of the role he plays. Gibson is not and never has been a holding player, the defensive side of his game is definitely his weak point imo.

7even

it's just that Barry is allowed to play more than him.

Just because Gibson isn't a regular at United doesn't mean he cannot be compared with Barry.It can be done up to a certain extent
Maybe, I just say maybe, Barry has earn his place in the first XI by being a valuable player.

This topic is about Gibson. I want him the best but IMO he's not good enough to be better than a decent squadplayer. In the next year or two we have Pogba and Morrison knocking on the door. We will probably buy one or two new players when Hargo and Scholes is gone. Players I think of is Defour and Henderson. If we want to splash out cash maybe we go for Hamsik or Jovetic.

I can't see Gibson as a real option. Maybe I'm blind and negative but that's my view.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
It's not one game though is it? Look how far this thread goes back!

Tevez's Mum

Kia Joorabchian's Ho!
I think he is a good player, he has shown that in his performances. He isn't always on his best form however that is hard to expect from any player, let alone one who isn't a regular starter. I think he has taken opportunities when he has got them and he has lots of confidence to take shots when the opportunity arises.

I think it is fair to say he just needs plenty of time and work to get to a place where he can be a regular starter. We just need to be patient with him I reckon.

Shimo

Thought he had a decent game against Stoke but, too lethargic for me. Saw Barry's name mentioned and in a way reminds me of him. Too slow on the ball and a disaster waiting to happen if he gets caught up field. Can't recover well enough.

If he can work on his speed in the off season and maybe strengthen - then he might add enough other qualities to justify being a squad player but, overall I think his time is up with us. Carrick/Fletcher/Anderson for next season and one purchase. Then perhaps a reserve player or two will get the fringe chances.