David de Gea | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Great save.

I like how the commentators say 'great save but his shot stopping was never in question'. They just can't praise him without qualifying their statements. It's like saying 'Hernandez scored but we know he does that'.

I'm always right

BBC ticker:

David de Gea was not getting to that one. Bryan Ruiz lines up a half-volley from 18 yards and he is a whisker away from getting it absolutely pin point. His effort bounces to safety off the inside of the post with the Spaniard sprawling.

Erm... he saved it mate.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Nah, he didn't have a clue. Great shot by Ruiz, lucky Spaniard. Everytime he makes a good save it's faint praise about how he should be saving it anyway because he's a top shot stopper.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Fans singing his name non stop, must be a great lift for the lad.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Been perfect today much like the last few games except the pass back episode.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Fantastic performance and great support from the fans. Well done!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Flawless performance today. That save from Ruiz was amazing.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Needs to get the fans support so great to see the flag (might was just his mother though) :)

Good game today and finally a clean sheet for him

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Good day all round for him. 1 good save, 1 world class save. His catching and kicking all spot on.

Great support from the fans.

Will do him the world of good.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Very good game from him today. Made some very good saves and took a few balls out of the air comfortably.

Platato

Psst!
Anyone notice how he took those high balls with ease? Happy for the boy. He deserved it.

NinjaFletch

Fair play to one of the commentators today saying that he feels like De Gea has been harshly done by by some portions of the media.

Fergie coming out and defending him is gonna have them singing from the David De Gea song sheet in a few months.

AKDevil

The Schmeichel vid is howlers, has De Gea committed any howlers whatsoever? & look at the legend Peter became.

He may have made the odd wrong decision, but it's exceedingly harsh to lambaste him for that.

C'mon, find us a bona fides De Gea howler to compare with Schmeichel's.
West Brom goal was bad.

Shark

@NotShark
It's driving me mad how many commentators are coming out with this 'well we know he's a good shot stopper' rubbish. Then they fail to praise him fully for making an out of this world save and when he does do well in the areas that they criticise him in, they say fecking nothing.

They can all go to hell. DDG was man of the match IMO.

ForeverUnited19

Not in the Matchday threads - it's bad luck.
Great stuff today from the player and fans. The flag and chants gets the message through to the media and it won't hurt for the player himself to see that kind of thing.

The commentator that backed de Gea was Stewart Robson. As far as i know, he has mostly praised him. Watching Szczesny every week would give him some perspective.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Great saves today, really was on top form. I found it really irritating how they thought he was beat to the ball that hit the side bar while he actually got a finger or two to push it out. The media/commentators can never praise him without insulting him too.

Loved seeing the fans chanting his name for a while. Long may it continue.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Immense performance today by de Gea, far better than Cech, about whom not a single negative word has been written in match reports...at least those that I could find.

hp88

The support from the fans has always been there and I am sure DDG is aware of that. Pundits will always slate him but it's something we will have to live with, as long as Fergie and Steele are happy with his performance DDG will be here for the long run.

My favourite bit was I think he made a save for a corner
And from that very same corner, he came and claimed the cross

AKDevil

Howler bad? I don't think so.

You have to go back to Blackburn in December of 2011 to find a bona fide howler by De Gea. That was a classic howler, but you have go back 13 months to find it.
I'm talking about the one on his debut. Got to say that was really bad - and I'm one of his biggest fans. Convinced he'll be top three in the world. Letting a pea roller squirm in under your arm is a bad mistake.
I agree though, none are as bad as some of those in the Schmeichel video.
I love Schmikes and have managed to convince myself he never ever made a mistake.
I've actually seen all of those countless times as I have both season reviews on video but erased them from my memory.

Andrew~

Did well today. I think he probably needs to communicate more with defense and be more decisive on crosses to turn those corners the opposition keep getting into counter-attacks.

I'm loving his progress so far though.

Jaap

Fourth clean sheet of the season (Newcastle away, West Brom at home, Wigan (away & Fulham away) - one month and a day after his last one.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Rooney rallies behind De Gea

Wayne Rooney has leapt to the defence of David De Gea, insisting the whole of the Manchester United squad is behind the keeper.

De Gea has had a mixed time since arriving at Old Trafford from Atletico Madrid in 2011. He has pulled off some superb saves, but he has also come in for criticism for not dominating his area.

The critics were out in force as United were pegged back late on by Tottenham last month, with a weak punch from De Gea leading to Clint Dempsey's goal. It prompted a report which claimed De Gea had four months to save his career.

Sir Alex Ferguson has kept faith with De Gea and following the 1-0 win over Fulham on Saturday, the keeper was backed by Rooney.

"He was superb," Rooney said. "I think he's been great for us over the last few weeks as he's made some great saves.

"I know he got a little bit of criticism after the Tottenham game but he made five or six world-class saves in that game and it wasn't the biggest mistake I've ever seen.

"We're all behind him and backing him. He's a great player for us and for the future as well."

Centre-half Jonny Evans was also quick to come out in support of De Gea.

"He made some outstanding saves, especially the one from Ruiz, which he tipped onto the post," Evans said. "We're used to seeing that from him. We didn't necessarily think, 'great save', because we're used to him doing that. I think people underestimate his shot-stopping ability."

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
On the Official website:

Reds all backing De Gea

Wayne Rooney says everybody at United is fully behind David De Gea after the Reds' No1 silenced any critics with an outstanding performance at Fulham.

The Spain Under-21 international kept a clean sheet at Craven Cottage and pulled off some stunning saves to once again prove his quality. Despite evidence to the contrary, the media continue to cast doubt over the youngster's grip on the goalkeeper's position at the club.

However, Rooney was joined by Jonny Evans and Sir Alex Ferguson in praising the former Atletico Madrid man for his display in West London after his last trip to the capital ended with harsh criticism for his part in the build-up to Clint Dempsey's late equaliser for Tottenham.

"He was superb," stated Rooney. "I think he's been great for us over the last few weeks as he's made some great saves.

"I know he got a little bit of criticism after the Tottenham game but he made five or six world-class saves in that game and it wasn't the biggest mistake I've ever seen.

"We're all behind him and backing him. He's a great player for us and for the future as well."

Commanding centre-back Evans claims he was not surprised to see De Gea pull off a magnificent fingertip save to divert a Bryan Ruiz shot against the woodwork.

"He made some outstanding saves, especially the one from Ruiz, which he tipped onto the post," explained Evans. "We’re used to seeing that from him. We didn’t necessarily think, ‘great save’, because we’re used to him doing that. I think people underestimate his shot-stopping ability."

The manager explained how it is important for his first-choice keeper to relish the challenge at Old Trafford, no matter how difficult sections of the media may make it for him at times.

"It's not fazed him, for sure," Sir Alex stated. "He's enjoyed this game tonight. We've said that to him - Eric Steele has in particular - to enjoy playing here. It's a challenge and it's not easy for a young goalkeeper, but he's enjoyed tonight."
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...rns-praise-for-top-performance-at-fulham.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.