David de Gea | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
He doesn't deal with crosses as well as other Gks but is improving and when he starts to excel in this area he'll be number 1 gk in the world!
Other keepers in the English prem, absolutely. Other keepers on the planet, nope. We need to get what happened last season out of our heads and focus on how de gea has performed this season. THIS season de gea has been absolutely sensational, easily the top keeper in the English prem and arguably the most consistent performer for United THIS season.

You wouldn't, for example, use Valencia's form last season to argue that he's been the league's top winger this season, right?

Is there room for improvement in his game? Of course...only footballers like messi, Ronaldo and iniesta can be described as having perfected their game. But of all the players on the united roster, including van Persie and Vidic, the one who is the most consistently outstanding is our starting keeper.

The 'problem' with de gea, if we must insist on looking at it this way, is that because he's so insanely incredible at shot-stopping we're all befuddled as to why he's only very good at handling crosses.

(Responding to a number of posts, not just yours, lawman)

Ekeke

Wasnt long ago he had a head collision with Vidic and was soon fine. Now he gets Andy Carrol to the face and he walks it off. Deceptively tough bastard

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Showed today how much more comfortable he is with the physicality. Great punch in the first half and didn't back down in the second when that animal cnut tried to act all hard. Well done Dave!

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I bet even the stupid West Ham fans wont know why they started booing him in the first place. Pathetic really.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Played Stoke and West Ham a few days apart and did great in both. Absolutely loved how he was pissed off with that donkey Carroll at one point, so funny!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yeah he pushed Nolan back when he came over and tried to laugh about the incident. DDG looked genuinely pissed off at the two idiots, thought it was really funny, couldn't help laughing! :lol:

Carroll was booked at that moment as well wasn't he?

NinjaFletch

I was waiting until after these two games to say it, because I didn't want to tempt fate.

But he's a massively improved player coming for the ball, not the best in the league maybe but he looks untroubled and calm coming for it.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He doesn't feel pressure at all, completely unphased by anything. His mentality is one of his best attributes and solid as a rock in his ability. So lucky we've got him.

Commadus

having vidic infront of him makes a huge difference.

VDS had Rio and Vidic in imperious form infront of him.

feck carrol the caveman.

Devil may care

He's too soft, he can't deal with crosses.....those were popular comments in articles every time he made an error, now he has the steel plums of justice hanging so low between his thighs that he has knee bruisers, the journos have nothing to say.

SER19

That lump of shit carroll did us a big favor tonight. De Gea was improving hugely in any case, and has been excellent all season, but that assault tonight will be the final making of him. Its like that idea of if youre afraid of falling off your bike you'll use stabilisers forever. Once you fall up and realise you get up just fine youll become better. De Gea will never, or should never, take a hit like that in a penalty area again and he had a cracking game after it and was no worse off. I think it might even make him relish the challenges next time.

Hopefully is never tempted back to spain, could see him in goal for a long time at united. we'll reap the benefits of trusting him early.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
You can just see he has bulked up since he came here. Hard work pays off and also hats of to our coaches, especially Eric Steele for instilling confidence in the young lad and helping him get back up every time people are against him. I am sure Fergie is shielding him from the paper nonsense as well.

AttackingFlair

Have to praise his mental strength after the ridiculous unnecessary shit he's received from the press since he's come here.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Michael Owen on BBC Radio 5 live
"I was a staunch defender of David De Gea when he first came to England, I felt sorry for him. He will be a hell of a player. He was being made a scapegoat for every defeat and has proved the doubters wrong this season."

kiristao

How Caroll didnt get booked for that tackle i dont know. Pretty much everytime he went up for a ball, his elbows werebeing aimed into DDG or Vidic.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Kietotheworld must be sitting in his home absolutely pissed at the way de Gea has developed. The biggest disappointment of the season for him.

LR7

How battered David De Gea hit back to become Ferguson’s No1

DAVID de Gea has survived a tough Premier League physical examination to be officially anointed as Manchester United’s No1 goalkeeper.

David De Gea has survived a tough test

His final test came on Wednesday night in a 90-minute storm generated by West Ham’s unrelenting brick outhouse Andy Carroll, which at times left Old Trafford boss Sir Alex Ferguson at the end of his tether.

But despite one outlandish challenge by Liverpool’s on-loan striker, which Ferguson felt deserved a red card and which laid the Spaniard out, De Gea stood firm against the aerial barrage.

He even dished out some of his own treatment, with a neat blow to the big Geordie’s head following another coming together in the second half.

To the delight of the Manchester United bench, it spelled out in no uncertain terms that the one-time shy £17million capture from Atletico Madrid had placed a marker – that he wouldn’t be bullied out of the Premier League.

When he arrived to replace Edwin van der Sar at the start of last season, nobody questioned De Gea’s reflexes and shot-stopping skills.

But some early lapses under physical pressure from crosses and corners left question marks and led to a time out of the team.

Now, confirmed his manager, the 22-year-old is with United for the long haul. Ferguson said: “If you remember his first game, at West Brom last season, he got battered.

“I think referees viewed him as a young Spanish goalkeeper who wasn’t tough enough, so he didn’t get any protection at all.

“But now you can see the maturity in him and the physical side doesn’t bother him. He has handled it.

“He took a real buffeting on Wednesday but it didn’t affect him at all. He was composed in everything he did. He has developed into a really top goalkeeper. He is quick and composed. His use of the ball is good. We have no problems with him now.”

United sensed their frail-looking newcomer would be severely tested from day one by uncompromising forwards who could smell blood.

Ferguson added: “When we first agreed to sign him and he came to my house, I got Eric Steele the goalkeeping coach there as well to explain what the game is like in England.

“So he was expecting something different to what he had been used to. It still came as a surprise because having to deal with it all as a young keeper is a different issue.

“In the early days, it was a concern whether he was going to be mature enough to be able to handle that kind of play. Now we don’t have any concerns.

“You can’t really prepare a young goalkeeper for the physical side. Eric does a lot of crossing in training with him and with the other two keepers but you can’t prepare for the real thing. Also, you don’t want players crashing into one another in training.”

He gives credit to his experienced goalkeeping coach for sticking with the young keeper when the going got really tough, while De Gea took to the gym to increase his body strength.

The United boss revealed: “When he was out of the team he worked with Eric every day. I had a couple of chats with him but Eric kept reminding him that he would be the top keeper.

“The improvement is physical. I think he has put on something like a stone in weight now, which is muscle. He is much stronger to deal with the physical part. David is the confirmed No1 now.”

He took a real buffeting on Wednesday but it didn't affect him at all. We have no problems with him now
Sir Alex Ferguson
Even one of the Premier League’s all-time greats, Peter Schmeichel, was forced to toughen up on his arrival at OId Trafford.

Ferguson added: “It was pointed out to David what had happened to Peter when he first arrived.

“In his first game at Wimbledon, he was screaming for protection from the referee. The mob had focused on him from the first moment. Following every cross they were battering into him and he was screaming like a dying pig.

“But in the end he handled it, even though it was something different. Peter was more mature because he was 27 when he came here, a big strong lad. Once he got used to it there was no bother after that.”

Now De Gea is heading for his first title medal, United hoping to close in on their 20th championship with success against Aston Villa tomorrow night in front of their own fans. Ferguson said: “We have a bunch of players that are determined and committed. I also think there is a collective enjoyment at the moment.”
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...avid-De-Gea-hit-back-to-become-Ferguson-s-No1

Glowing endorsement from SAF.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Not good reading for Lindegaard. If he's not happy he'll be on his way and we'll have to find another backup keeper in the summer.

Platato

Psst!
Credit to Eric for seeing the potential in DDG. He played a part in SAF keeping the faith with de Gea.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
:lol: at 'dying pig' comment. Someone should add that quote to Big Pete wiki. Just another classic from Fergie.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not really. I think Fergie liked to make Lindegaard think he was getting a chance but he knew it was always going to be de Gea.

Status
Not open for further replies.