Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lsd

The Oracle
So how long till someone starts a "Should De Gea start over Romero v Spurs " that in the main forum?

Rasfene

So how long till someone starts a "Should De Gea start over Romero v Spurs " that in the main forum?
Romero has a safe pair of hands and he is good at claiming crosses. Why would anyone change him?

A-man

PostShotXG tells you the value of a shot in terms of expected goals once the shot has been taken. I'm struggling to see how a keeper's shot stopping ability could not be fairly judged on that. DDG is arguably the best in the world at shot stopping, but is very average at other aspects of the game (distribution, command of area, etc.) that other keepers are much better at, and won't be apparent in xG statistics.

Yes, you could argue that a sweeper keeper like Ederson prevents a certain amount of opposition xG being generated by rushing out and making tackles and interceptions, but as a shot stopper there is no comparison. Two different keepers with two very different interpretations of the role.
Then I think we agree. xG can tell that he is fantastic at stopping shots, but does not tell how good he is at stopping goals, as another goalkeeper might stop goals by rushing out and tackle, etc (Neuer, Ederson) which does not give any xG cred. Stopping shots is just one way of many to prevent goals conceded.

SirAF

Ageist
I agree, but Mourinho has obviously promised him the cup games and I believe he'll stick to that. Romero even played the EL final last season - which was far more important.

haram

I agree, but Mourinho has obviously promised him the cup games and I believe he'll stick to that. Romero even played the EL final last season - which was far more important.
Yeah I think he will stay in goal, but if the guy was asking why would someone would want de Gea in goal instead, it's simply because he is better.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Bar the first goal made some cracking saves last night against Germany. Won't help us if he keeps catching the eye for the national team but am pleased he's showing same form for them too.

Web of Bissaka

Top form against Germany (Muller's strike is just so good), :devil: De Gea is becoming more vocal and his keeping dealing with crosses is much better.

Costa's miss is shocking :eek: and maybe it's because of the opponent, but Spain's defense is poor.

Rasfene

Crap goalkeeping

DDG needs to gain strength and actually punch the balls FURTHER away from goal more. If not, more goals such as the second goal scored by Sevilla will come.

Last edited:

izec

He is shit, Navas and Courtois are much better. If not them 2, Real should buy Leno, Ter Stegen 2.0. De Gea is definitely not good enough for them.

SAFTHEGREAT

If we do not lose Jose and start losing players like Pogba, De Gea, i think we'll go a level lower and sink to a mid-table team. I cannot imagine us being in the same position in the past 4 years especially if not for De Gea. His quality has been unquestionable and is atop the best keepers in the world.

De Gea
Ter Stegen
Ederson
Buffon
Neuer
Courtois
Oblak and so on..

Canagel

I don't give a shite how de Gea plays on international duty. As long as he keeps producing the goods for us that's all that matters. He is proven to us at the highest level and no-one will appreciate his talent more than United fans. Even better if a bad game will turn away the likes of Madrid. He would win more trophies there but one bad game in Spain and you'll get crucified by the fans and media. Didn't Madrid boo Ronaldo recently? It's a jungle out there and not many survive.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He is shit, Navas and Courtois are much better. If not them 2, Real should buy Leno, Ter Stegen 2.0. De Gea is definitely not good enough for them.
Exactly. Real Madrid if you are reading this, stay away, he’s rubbish! ;)

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Maybe, but De Gea would not have let in some goals they have this season, especially Courtois v Barca.
Both totally different keepers with different strength's.

As shot stopping De Gea's one of the best i have ever seen, i would probably have him and his two Spain predecessors Cassilas and Canizarez as top 3 in that regard from my time following footy (late 90's onwards), if you are expecting to get battered and have a flawed defense there's no one better to have in goal. Courtois's strength is command of his area (we have only conceded i think three set piece goals since the start of last season with him in the nets or something crazy like that) and concentration, a big part of being a keeper at the top is being alert to do one or things when needed after being practically a spectator for so long and Courtois is excellent in that regard.

Cliche as this sounds, if you moulded the strength's of the two together you would be looking at a keeper who's as close to perfect as it's possible to get.

Web of Bissaka

As shot stopping De Gea's one of the best i have ever seen, i would probably have him and his two Spain predecessors Cassilas and Canizarez as top 3 in that regard from my time following footy (late 90's onwards), if you are expecting to get battered and have a flawed defense there's no one better to have in goal. Courtois's strength is command of his area (we have only conceded i think three set piece goals since the start of last season with him in the nets or something crazy like that) and concentration, a big part of being a keeper at the top is being alert to do one or things when needed after being practically a spectator for so long and Courtois is excellent in that regard.

Cliche as this sounds, if you moulded the strength's of the two together you would be looking at a keeper who's as close to perfect as it's possible to get.
Absolutely, ;) hence Real Madrid should get Courtois this summer instead, De Gea is sunny rubbish.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely, ;) hence Real Madrid should get Courtois this summer instead, De Gea is sunny rubbish.
I think Alisson has jumped ahead of both as far as Real are concerned.

Rasfene

You are looking at the peak Petr Cech, winner of 4 golden gloves and also kept 200 clean sheets in premier league. Also beat Neuer in penalty shootout.

However, personsally I prefer Peter or Kasper Schmeichel. Someone who is quick on counter, good at controlling his back line and shout out instructions and decent overall.

reycat

DDG feels more appreciated and respected in UK than in Spain.

http://www.cope.es/n/176539

I bet he is pointing to the press with that. There is little different between Spanish sport papers and tabloids.

Good news for Man Utd, I guess.

reycat

I don’t speak Spanish, can you summarize the article?
Well, there is not a lot there.

"Al final en Inglaterra tengo un cariño y un respeto enorme que no lo noto tanto aquí, pero cada vez que vengo a la selección siento cariño dentro y es lo más importante"

"At the end of the day in England I feel a huge warmth and respect and I don't feel the same way here. But when I am with the national team I feel welcome and that's the most important thing".

"Siempre tienen que estar los mejores en el campo y Messi lo es. Cada partido contra él es especial. Jugar contra Leo siendo portero es un reto y lo mejor es que esté en el campo"

"The best players should always be on the pitch, and Messi is one of them. Every match against him is special. Playing against Leo being a keeper is a challenge and it's best for everyone that he is on the pitch".

Then he goes on about how the NT is feeling confident, etc, etc.

Reactions: harms

Rasfene

Of cos, Spain has greater expectations. They won the world cup and europe cup with iker Casilas. They want the same with ddg.

reycat

Of cos, Spain has greater expectations. They won the world cup and europe cup with iker Casilas. They want the same with ddg.
I'm not a great translator, but the feeling I got was that he enjoys being with the NT but wouldn't enjoy so mucho living in Spain full time.

Web of Bissaka

:smirk: Beaut assist.

I think his distributions this season is more consistent than majority of his seasons with us. The last time when it was so good is his first season, I think he assisted Chicharito back then iirc and made good number of accurate long passes.

He's still sunny rubbish Real.

Austria-Red

The header he conceded was very catchable. He seems to make more mistakes when playing for Spain. That’s obviously great for us but it will hurt his standing as the worlds best.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
Ahh yes and then Liverpool can keep King Karius in goal. Wonderful.
In fairness to Karius, he was excelent at Mainz. He obviously struggled when he arrived here first but has been better since his return to goal. Its a path similar to De Gea. While I dont think he will ever reach the same level as DeGea, I’d be happy if he was just consistantly good. But more importantly, good enough that I dont have to look at Mignolet in goal again!!

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
The header he conceded was very catchable. He seems to make more mistakes when playing for Spain. That’s obviously great for us but it will hurt his standing as the worlds best.
Just seen this. That was an awful miss. I hope his recent drop in form is to put off Real.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He also stated that he doesnt feel as much affection in Spain as he does in England. Bodes well for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.