Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma_87

You know who
He was quick to react to it but decided to try and tip it over the bar instead of palming it back into play. Used his right hand to shovel it upwards and over instead of simply blocking it with his left or even both. He didn't get the timing right though which is why it ended up going in a bit awkwardly. He only had a split second to react so it's not necessarily a ball he had to save. I'd much rather want to know what Bailly was doing at the near post instead of staying with his man. But based on his quick reaction the ball didn't necessarily need to go in even from that distance. He tried to do the smart thing instead of the simpler thing and it didn't come off this time.
He's a bit of a victim of his quick reactions at time. Doubt many keepers would react to that ball let alone try to keep it out...

But what came before the header?

Could more corners be prevented?

Could Ddg have stepped off his line and claim/punch the ball out before the header even came. Towering goalkeeper like Neuer or Kahn can do that.

Or with their sheer body size and strength, they can parry the ball in front instead of letting the ball slip past the line like what ddg did today.
Cmoon mate you can't be serious.

look at the goal - a cross to the near post and no one even went with the Sevilla player who then he deflected it to to the far corner. De Gea couldn't do anything in that situation - both of our defenders Bailly and Young were appalling in that situation. Bailly fell asleep but even to this moment I can't understand what Young was doing. Like he lost coordination for a moment.

No keeper would rush off his line with the ball going to opposition player with no defender in sight trying to challenge him.

Giggs86

His head is already in the World Cup. Probably can't hardly wait for the season to finish. Was all smiles and giggles after the final whistle with some Sevilla players.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He looked beyond pissed. As he should be. The guy has given so much to this club while we have given him failure after failure. You can tell he desperately wanted us to reach the top again and he'd be happy here. I just feel like after that result, he's gone. Hopefully I'm wrong, but all the good that we built up over the last month, with a few big wins, being in 2nd, being in the FA cup quarters and champions league knockout phase is all erased with that embarrassing defeat. Real Madrid will always go for him and they'll compete for everything, so you really can't begrudge him leaving. Hope I'm wrong, I just have a feeling.

Coxy

He looked beyond pissed. As he should be. The guy has given so much to this club while we have given him failure after failure. You can tell he desperately wanted us to reach the top again and he'd be happy here. I just feel like after that result, he's gone. Hopefully I'm wrong, but all the good that we built up over the last month, with a few big wins, being in 2nd, being in the FA cup quarters and champions league knockout phase is all erased with that embarrassing defeat. Real Madrid will always go for him and they'll compete for everything, so you really can't begrudge him leaving. Hope I'm wrong, I just have a feeling.
Yep :( I actually feel sorry for him. I really hope we keep him but I have no problems if he does go to say Madrid - I can't blame him.

Our only true world class player.

JoaquinJoaquin

Exactly my feelings to. After the game when the camera focused on him he had that angry \ let down look.

Red Star One

He's gone, isn't he? I love this lad and always hoped he would stay with us pretty much forever, but it's probably first time I feel like he's about to leave. You could see his frustration and he spent last few years winning feck nothing (yeah well Europa League and FA Cup is not exactly his level) here, I would be surprised to see him in United shirt next year, although I really hope I am wrong.

cyberman

This forum waves goodbye to David every year around March / April for feck sake.
I hope every single member of staff is pissed about this.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He's a bit of a victim of his quick reactions at time. Doubt many keepers would react to that ball let alone try to keep it out...

Cmoon mate you can't be serious.

look at the goal - a cross to the near post and no one even went with the Sevilla player who then he deflected it to to the far corner. De Gea couldn't do anything in that situation - both of our defenders Bailly and Young were appalling in that situation. Bailly fell asleep but even to this moment I can't understand what Young was doing. Like he lost coordination for a moment.

No keeper would rush off his line with the ball going to opposition player with no defender in sight trying to challenge him.
He fecked that up, in fairness. Hes been poor for a few games which is ironic given how much he was being praised following that one save against Sevilla last month.

I like how many personal friends he has on this forum who seem to know what he wants.

Enigma_87

You know who
He fecked that up, in fairness. Hes been poor for a few games which is ironic given how much he was being praised following that one save against Sevilla last month.

I like how many personal friends he has on this forum who seem to know what he wants.
Wouldn't say poor. He could've done better for some of the goals lately, but still has been our best player and most consistent one ever since Fergie left. This season isn't an exception.

Mind boggles the last part. He was frustrated like all of us. Nobody expected us to go out to fecking Sevilla at home...

izec

De Gea in normal form saves it. Looked a bit weird, but for the best keeper in the world, he should save it. Some obviously will defend him to the end, but fact remains he should have done better

Di Maria's angel

Wouldn't say poor. He could've done better for some of the goals lately, but still has been our best player and most consistent one ever since Fergie left. This season isn't an exception.

Mind boggles the last part. He was frustrated like all of us. Nobody expected us to go out to fecking Sevilla at home...
I wholeheartedly agree with the last part. Phenomenal keeper and professional. But I'd say, in terms of keeping, he has been poor in every game (maybe not the Liverpool one) since the 1st leg. Maybe, I feel this way because of the standards he has set and I expect him to pull of saves against Palace, Chelsea and yesterday.

I've seen nothing from him to show that he wants to leave - I might be wrong; but the body language experts seem to always spout nonsense about every one of our players.

Rasfene

Ddg will be getting his long awaited golden glove at the end of the season which means high chance transfer news of him leaving will heighten and he will be happy to leave on a high (winning golden glove).

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It's on the defenders more than De Gea IMO, but De Gea freezes as the ball goes across him, a step or two to his left to follow the ball and he's in a better position to stop anything that could come back his way. He was certainly expecting Young to do better, but he can't count on it. He has to scramble, and all he can do is flap to try and keep it out. Both defenders are most at fault, but I do think De Gea could have set himself better.

ThaReaper01

I thought he was poor for the first goal tbh. Think his hands were tied for the second to an extent but you gotta cover your near post. Bailly is goalside of the guy so odds are he won’t get it through if he tries to go across goal. The only real place he can go is near post and there was so much space there for some reason. Was far more furious about that than the second.

nemanja15

I thought he was poor for the first goal tbh. Think his hands were tied for the second to an extent but you gotta cover your near post. Bailly is goalside of the guy so odds are he won’t get it through if he tries to go across goal. The only real place he can go is near post and there was so much space there for some reason. Was far more furious about that than the second.
Bailly is covering approximately none of the goal at the point of the shot, if you watch it again. De Gea's starting position is the middle of the posts, roughly where it should be. I don't think you can assign any blame for that. The second one he could definitely have anticipated better and given himself a better chance of stopping the ball less awkwardly.

beep

Yes. He has been beaten at his near post a few times now. The palmed effort on Tuesday was poor. He has been out of this world for us, but maybe he's tired of carrying the team.

meninred

A friend was saying with his ability Degea should have saved both goals vs sevilla esp second one is embarassing for him.i have reached the stage not to criticize him.i only saw highlights. what do u think mates ?

Web of Bissaka

A friend was saying with his ability Degea should have saved both goals vs sevilla esp second one is embarassing for him.i have reached the stage not to criticize him.i only saw highlights. what do u think mates ?
No and no.
First goal, Ben Yedder have good times to be composed, good close distance and wide angles to place his shot with power and accuracy.
Second goal, it's freakin very close to the goal line. The fact that De Gea were able to react to that and get a touch is already freakin amazing :drool:. In other times, maybe he may manage to save it, yet he nearly did, but understandably not enough power to parry/flick it away. But still, "embarassing" is too much.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Such a shame three managers over the last five years haven’t been able to elevate the team to compete for top honours, which De Gea deserves. He’ll probably leave because of it and you can’t blame him...he’s stuck with us through some utter dross.

Di Maria's angel

Such a shame three managers over the last five years haven’t been able to elevate the team to compete for top honours, which De Gea deserves. He’ll probably leave because of it and you can’t blame him...he’s stuck with us through some utter dross.
Not it's not. He's still earning top dollar for, arguably, the biggest brand in football. He still has a PL title, an FA cup and others to his name. Who knows, had he left, he may not be as recognised as he is right now. At 27, for a keeper, he still has many years ahead of him, too. Lets stop acting as if De Gea has suffered over the last few years...

Jonno

Not it's not. He's still earning top dollar for, arguably, the biggest brand in football. He still has a PL title, an FA cup and others to his name. Who knows, had he left, he may not be as recognised as he is right now. At 27, for a keeper, he still has many years ahead of him, too. Lets stop acting as if De Gea has suffered over the last few years...
He’s not suffered, but he could have quite easily been in Reals two time CL winning, LA Liga winning teams.

He’s the undisputed best in the world and he’s not playing for the best side in the world when he quite easily could have.

We need to enjoy him while we can, like we did with Ronaldo

norm87cro

I Will be sorry if he leaves but I actually see the defence as whole much better and composed next season. It's Jose's team after all. So if he could just see off one more season I can see us being a way better defensive unit that's going to boost the rest of the first 11. But if not, I always thought that Jose prefered the VDS's and Czech type od keepers to the Schmeichel's and DDG's of football. The Crystal Palace second goal was a valid point from Jose. I could never imagine big Pete waiting for the player to get that close aldo the goal is mostly the defenses responsibility. And as far as the EL goes we won that competition with Romero so You can't blame him for not feeling a part of that success

Di Maria's angel

He’s not suffered, but he could have quite easily been in Reals two time CL winning, LA Liga winning teams.

He’s the undisputed best in the world and he’s not playing for the best side in the world when he quite easily could have.

We need to enjoy him while we can, like we did with Ronaldo
Truth is, no one actually knows what he wants. Well, no one outside of De Gea, himself. He might well be satisified with his progression and happy to sign a new contract, especially following the the fax machine debacle - i.e. he might not even want to leave for Madrid.

Jonno

Truth is, no one actually knows what he wants. Well, no one outside of De Gea, himself. He might well be satisified with his progression and happy to sign a new contract, especially following the the fax machine debacle - i.e. he might not even want to leave for Madrid.
Very true.

I think 10-20 years ago Madrid would have completely forced the move. Now they’re barely on par with the financial power United have. They’ve got a lot of work to do to rebuild their team too. I reckon a goalkeeper is the last position they need to be investing in

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
It is for the club though not being able to fully capitalise on having an outstanding young goalkeeper. He’s the biggest contributor to our good defensive record. I have said in another thread before I’d rather have a solid, consistent defensive line with a very good keeper than an outstanding keeper shielded by a defense prone to mistakes.

If we reinforced our defense to a world class level I wouldn’t be too mad if De Gea were to leave. We don’t know what he wants or is thinking so we’ll have to wait and see

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He's one of our best players ever. He gets the benefit of doubt in anything he does for me. He's earned as much.

RedDevil@84

I wouldn't want him to leave. But if he says he wants to leave, I would totally understand why and would not hold any ill-feeling for wanting to leave.

Loublaze

ATLien
He needs to go to Real Madrid if he wants to win medals and be truly considered the best GK in world football. Its the truth.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm not sure if this is he right place to post this or whether they've already been posted.

But I came across these incredible stats on De Gea, this guy is so far ahead as the best keeper in the league, its insane. Even without just watching him, the stats he puts up are unbelievable.

Trizy

I'm not sure if this is he right place to post this or whether they've already been posted.

But I came across these incredible stats on De Gea, this guy is so far ahead as the best keeper in the league, its insane. Even without just watching him, the stats he puts up are unbelievable.

GOAT.

edgar allan

Wonderful goalkeeper. We give him plenty of work to do looking at the number of saves he has to make.

A-man

Could be me not understanding xG prevented, but doesn't this mostly reflect that DDG is very good at making saves from shots close to goal? And the only other goalie in PL that comes close to him is Pope who had 8-9 something in xG prevented. Those two have the absolute best scores in PL in that regard. I dont know what else it tells? That DDG is no 1 and Pope no 2? As I wrote, I highly believe it refects the way a goalkeeper plays. DDG prefers to stay at his line and make great saves. I saw some stats some weeks ago that he had only made 5 sweeping clearances compared to Ederson who had around 35. To me that indicates that Ederson prefers to clear the ball before it even becomes a chance, while DDG prefers to stay in his goal and make a save.

I understand it doesnt take into account how good the goalkeeper is with his feet, how fast to start attacks, organize his defence, help his team mates etc, but does it even describe how good the goalkeeper is at preventing goals?

Rasfene

Ederson is good at sweeping the ball instead of waiting at the line for the goal. Also good at claiming crosses. So are other keepers like Courtois or Cech.

But I will give team of the year to ddg. He is the best performing keeper this season with the most clean sheets. For previous years, I wonder why ddg gets it instead of the keeper with most clean sheets.

Last edited:

meninred

All great goalkeepers concede some seemingly easy goals and make some howlers and mistakes.no one 100 percent accurate.it is not a human thing.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I think De Gea will be pipped for the Golden Gloves by Ederson in the end. Kinda weird to see United have the best Premier League defence post-Ferguson, but De Gea never having managed to win this award.

Could be me not understanding xG prevented, but doesn't this mostly reflect that DDG is very good at making saves from shots close to goal? And the only other goalie in PL that comes close to him is Pope who had 8-9 something in xG prevented. Those two have the absolute best scores in PL in that regard. I dont know what else it tells? That DDG is no 1 and Pope no 2? As I wrote, I highly believe it refects the way a goalkeeper plays. DDG prefers to stay at his line and make great saves. I saw some stats some weeks ago that he had only made 5 sweeping clearances compared to Ederson who had around 35. To me that indicates that Ederson prefers to clear the ball before it even becomes a chance, while DDG prefers to stay in his goal and make a save.

I understand it doesnt take into account how good the goalkeeper is with his feet, how fast to start attacks, organize his defence, help his team mates etc, but does it even describe how good the goalkeeper is at preventing goals?
PostShotXG tells you the value of a shot in terms of expected goals once the shot has been taken. I'm struggling to see how a keeper's shot stopping ability could not be fairly judged on that. DDG is arguably the best in the world at shot stopping, but is very average at other aspects of the game (distribution, command of area, etc.) that other keepers are much better at, and won't be apparent in xG statistics.

Yes, you could argue that a sweeper keeper like Ederson prevents a certain amount of opposition xG being generated by rushing out and making tackles and interceptions, but as a shot stopper there is no comparison. Two different keepers with two very different interpretations of the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.