Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Web of Bissaka

We don't want to turn into the way Liverpool were and glorifying the golden glove. While we were winning titles Reina was winning golden gloves and we mocked them celebrating it.
Glorifying is too much. De Gea haven't won it before. It would be nice for him to get one, as I feel he deserve it. So we shouldn't care whether he win it or not? or even wanting him to get at least one?

Last edited:

Web of Bissaka

Imho you've completely lost the plot if you think any goalkeeper could get a touch on that shot..It's close range and it gets a deflection he has to react to, he doesn't see the change of direction until it's too late, the change in direction takes it higher and further away from him...Even if the original shot was as wide as high, and he saw it from it left Townsends foot, it still would've been a very difficult save to make.

All your comparisons are 1) Shots where you see the ball from the moment it leaves the players foot 2) closer to De Gea.
Edit: Is that necessary?

Your opinion is fine. Again "If I'm not mistaken, he have saved that kind of shot seasons before. Couldn't find the gif/vid of it though."

Additionally, if we look at CP's first goal again, we'll notice De Gea is moving at the right direction towards his left, and then he stops. That being said, I didn't consider the power of the shot, it curved and traveled very quickly so I suppose even if it's De Gea, he may not be able to save it. Still he often than not, made a lot of unexpected saves anyway, hence my opinion he could have save it. A big maybe mind. Still, why are we arguing too much about this again? :lol:

Last edited:

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Your opinion is fine. Again "If I'm not mistaken, he have saved that kind of shot seasons before. Couldn't find the gif/vid of it though."

Additionally, if we look at CP's first goal again, we'll notice De Gea is moving at the right direction towards his left, and then he stops. That being said, I didn't consider the power of the shot, it curved and traveled very quickly so I suppose even if it's De Gea, he may not be able to save it. Still he often than not, made a lot of unexpected saves anyway, hence my opinion he could have save it. A big maybe mind. Still, why are we arguing too much about this again? :lol:
Because you made the absurd claim that he should've done better for their first goal.

haram

We don't want to turn into the way Liverpool were and glorifying the golden glove. While we were winning titles Reina was winning golden gloves and we mocked them celebrating it.
No one is celebrating it like a title. It’s nice for him if he wins it.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
@MThomas Fine, your opinions and perspective are always right then, contrary perspectives to yours are always wrong. Have this free win.
Haven't claimed anything about always being right and that contrary perspectives are always wrong, stop making things up.

Arguing that he should do better for their first goal, which in that circumstance is pretty much impossible to save, based on his general abilities as a goalkeeper. is pretty insane.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Absolutely shocking that Ederson has less clean sheets than De Gea, his team has 70% possession every game. I can't take anyone seriously that thinks Ederson is better.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Absolutely shocking that Ederson has less clean sheets than De Gea, his team has 70% possession every game. I can't take anyone seriously that thinks Ederson is better.
He's not better, in fact I'd go as far as saying (distribution aside) he'd look decidedly average in a lesser team

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The only people who think Ederson is better are City fans. Ederson's a good keeper but De Gea is one of the absolute best and has been for years. The argument City fans use is that Ederson fits their system better because of his ball playing abilities, to which I agree, the only area he really beats De Gea in.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The only people who think Ederson is better are City fans. Ederson's a good keeper but De Gea is one of the absolute best and has been for years. The argument City fans use is that Ederson fits their system better because of his ball playing abilities, to which I agree, the only area he really beats De Gea in.
De Gea was a good ball player when he first came, due to his coaching in the spanish system.

I'm very confident that Guardiola would be perfectly happy with De Gea, who with some practice would get rid of his passing rust and become a fine ball player.

90% of the time he is hoofing the ball at United, I doubt he practices it that often.

AltiUn

De Gea was a good ball player when he first came, due to his coaching in the spanish system.

I'm very confident that Guardiola would be perfectly happy with De Gea, who with some practice would get rid of his passing rust and become a fine ball player.

90% of the time he is hoofing the ball at United, I doubt he practices it that often.
Oh yeah don't get me wrong, if they were in the same team there's only one person going to be starting there and it's DDG.

A-man

Yes but that also showes how pointless this award is. You give one person cred for how few goal a whole team conceds, like tactiscs, defence from all other players, etc dont matter. Also one goalkeeper has more clean sheets, the other less conceded goals.

It would make more sense to give a price to the best goalkeeper. Add together saves percentage, sweeper clearances, how often they initiate counter attacks, good with their feet, etc.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Yes but that also showes how pointless this award is. You give one person cred for how few goal a whole team conceds, like tactiscs, defence from all other players, etc dont matter. Also one goalkeeper has more clean sheets, the other less conceded goals.

It would make more sense to give a price to the best goalkeeper. Add together saves percentage, sweeper clearances, how often they initiate counter attacks, good with their feet, etc.
De Gea would win that anyway, he's been the best goalkeeper in the league for a few years.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Who the feck is making this suggestions?
I saw Both keepers trending some days ago but didn't bother looking at it.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
Glorifying is too much. De Gea haven't won it before. It would be nice for him to get one, as I feel he deserve it. So we shouldn't care whether he win it or not? or even wanting him to get at least one?
You’re right, he does deserve it and it would be an appropriate accolade for him personally and a recognition of his excellence. Just a comparison stat to further prove his worth:
United have faced 118 shots this season and conceded 22 goals
Liverpool have faced 84 shots but have conceded 32 goals!!
Let’s all hope that after the weekend, there will be a better balance to those figures!! ;)

A-man

Who the feck is making this suggestions?
I saw Both keepers trending some days ago but didn't bother looking at it.

Maybe it was the goalkeeper ranking from CIES Football Observatory? They analysed the goalkeepers performance in all games last six months, so not only no of saves. In this evaluation Ederson was much better than DDG. Don't remember the whole list but some:

1. ter Stegen
2. Ederson
3. Oblak
4. Buffon
9. David de Gea

If you google it you will probably find it. Then you can also see the score they got.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He looks very good in a system, it would be interesting to see how copes without the system. De Gea on the other hand is a pure shot stopper.

AltiUn

Maybe it was the goalkeeper ranking from CIES Football Observatory? They analysed the goalkeepers performance in all games last six months, so not only no of saves. In this evaluation Ederson was much better than DDG. Don't remember the whole list but some:

1. ter Stegen
2. Ederson
3. Oblak
4. Buffon
9. David de Gea

If you google it you will probably find it. Then you can also see the score they got.
This rating system also takes into account what level they were playing at last season, for DDG that was Europa League which naturally has less bearing than CL.

A-man

That website also has a lead story today saying 'Porto' are the most dominant team in Europe. So dominant that they got cunted 5-0 by Liverpool. (Midgetland are 51)
I think I'll pass on their expert analysis.
If you read further, you will see that it is not an"expert analysis", it is more or less raw data stats. Domination was defined as something like "the quote between your teams shots within in the box and the shots the other team has in your box. Or something similar. Has nothing to do with which team is best or anything. And has even less to do with who is the best goalie in Europe.

This rating system also takes into account what level they were playing at last season, for DDG that was Europa League which naturally has less bearing than CL.
I might be wrong, but I think the data is from this season. No matter what, the matches analysed were in the domestic leagues, not international cups.

I am not saying this is the perfect list or anything, but it is another way to rank goalkeepers than just percentage saves or clean sheets. It is hard to compare goalies. One player typer like de Gea is passive and makes fantastic saves at the line, while others like Neuer like to stop it before it is even converted into a chance by being very active sweepers. Others have fantastic feet and can start attacks with precision passes. It is also about being good at coordinating your defense, tactics, communication, leadership, etc. How do you compare all these qualities in a fair way?

It is very clear when you compare top goalies that they are very different in style. DDG vs Neuer vs Buffon. Very different.

A-man

The domination bit is a ridiculous thing to write about. It lacks any context of the difficulty of the opponent and the circumstances of the matches played and so on.

I also think percentage saves are a daft way to rank keepers. Going by that Shay Given was better than Santiago Canizares and Kahn I'm sure. I agree with the rest of your post. I would say what sets De Gea apart is his concentration. Compared to say Lloris and Neuer he seems to make fewer obvious errors. He's more like Van der Sar there.
Yes, to call that domination is ridiculous. And I am no fan of any kind if shots on goal etc to measure how good a team is. The best measure is points. When Barca were at their best they passed around the ball until they got perfect opportuninty and then they scored. No 30 shots per game, yet totally dominant.

Agree that DDG seems to make very few errors. But maybe also the aggresive style of play Neur has makes him make more mistakes. On the other hand, if he wouldn't take the risk and try to clear the ball, he would nead to save a shot instead. His gamestyle allows the whole team to push further up the pitch as well.

Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool

Skills

Snitch
This will go as an underrated performance because of no heroics.

But his kicks were on point and put Lukaku in great positions to win the header. Secondly he solved our problem on corners by just going out and punching them away. Great keeper.

Josep Dowling

1. ter Stegen
2. Ederson
3. Oblak
4. Buffon
9. David de Gea

Well those stats are absolute rubbish. Ederson is an average goal keeper who can kick a long ball.

Web of Bissaka

Barely any posts of his recent performance? :lol: Darmian received a lot more.

Got an assist to the assist made by Lukaku for Rashford's first goal.

Passing and distributions (a lot of it is simply clearance though) is a lot more better too.

His goal keeping in dealing with crosses and corner are a lot better and more consistent in this game.

el3mel

His distribution was far better than last few games. He was picking the players for the kick well.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Quietest game in a "big match" I can think of. Testament to how hard the team worked today.

cyberman

Saw on Reddit that more Utd centrehalves have scored v David than strikers from any top 6 side combined.

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Distribution much better today, keep up it please Dave

A-man

Barely any posts of his recent performance? :lol: Darmian received a lot more.

Got an assist to the assist made by Lukaku for Rashford's first goal.

Passing and distributions (a lot of it is simply clearance though) is a lot more better too.

His goal keeping in dealing with crosses and corner are a lot better and more consistent in this game.
I noticed those things, too! Especially the corners. What he really suck at is leaving the goal to help his centrebacks. Don't know if it is just poor communication, but for example there was a totally unnecessary corner because of him not taking the ball more or less handed over from Smalling, and at one occasion it looked like Mata didn't trust him and instead cleared himself.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
His rating should be a bit higher today. He didn't have much to do, so can't rate him down for that, but his distribution was great and part of why we won. Also that fecking massive punch.

stepic

His rating should be a bit higher today. He didn't have much to do, so can't rate him down for that, but his distribution was great and part of why we won. Also that fecking massive punch.
yep. how the hell has he only got 6.9 on the caf? he basically should get 10 most games.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
yep. how the hell has he only got 6.9 on the caf? he basically should get 10 most games.
To be fair, I've only somehow got an average of 7 for him. I'm not sure how that's happened tbh. Although I do seem to be the only person that uses the full scale and not just 5-10, so that's probably 8 or 9 for most others.

Status
Not open for further replies.