Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbo*

Was having a conversation with the bloke next to me at OT yesterday as to the most talented United players I've seen play live (been going since 1995). I couldn't look much further than de Gea at number three behind Ronaldo and Scholes - bizarre as it might sound.

Reactions: Invictus

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Give him £200,000 a week!

Best player in the team!

Best keeper in the world.
We did that already. Unless you mean another £200k a week?

Anyway, he's been back to his very, very best this season. I don't think he was the best he's ever been last term for whatever reason. Still good of course.

VanGaalEra

Absolutely the laziest of 'analysis', but one that is repeated a lot regarding lots of players. I think you have to go all the way back to the Moyes season for the last De Gea howler (Sunderland in the league cup), and even that was entirely an isolated incident. His overall consistency is far, far beyond any other goalkeeper IMO.

And you're right. There has not been an issue with his claiming crosses since his first season.
I can only remember Stoke at home last season.

Treble

One of Fergie's best signings ever. We are lucky to have him.

KjaAnd

Absolutely the laziest of 'analysis', but one that is repeated a lot regarding lots of players. I think you have to go all the way back to the Moyes season for the last De Gea howler (Sunderland in the league cup), and even that was entirely an isolated incident. His overall consistency is far, far beyond any other goalkeeper IMO.

And you're right. There has not been an issue with his claiming crosses since his first season.
I disagree with your last point. I'm a big fan of de Gea but he's still not very good at controlling the penalty area. Often, he leaves it to defenders to head away crosses that he could easily have claimed. The "best" example is Everton last season when Jagielka scored.

AngliaRed

We did that already. Unless you mean another £200k a week?

Anyway, he's been back to his very, very best this season. I don't think he was the best he's ever been last term for whatever reason. Still good of course.
I thought he was on £150,000 or something. i agree, last season he wasnt at his very own high standards. His quick reaction shot stopping is by far the best in the world. If you notice the goals he concede often theres nothinh he could of done anyway.

I still think Herrera and Mata being at United and happy plays a huge part in DDG still here and performing at his very best. Them 3 are very close.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
David has been quite unlucky in that his brilliant form over the last 4 years has coincided with United's worst run in over 2 decades, and the decline of the Spanish national team (apart from having to contend with a patently regressing Casillas due to political reasons). Some of it is reflected in a statistical sense, too (which matters because a lot of the context is lost in time as narratives as easy to manipulate):
Peter Schmeichel: 180 clean sheets in 398 matches ~ 0.45
Edwin Van der Sar: 135 clean sheets in 266 matches ~ 0.51
David De Gea: 100th clean sheet in his 275th matches ~ 0.36
He has a much lower ratio than Van der Sar (who played behind a defense that was probably the best in the world through the second part of the last decade), and Schmeichel, as things stand. But finally, you get the sense that he has the defensive guru at United to design a robust program around him and rack up clean sheets (as opposed to watching his superhuman efforts go in vain with individual errors and defensive lapses), and go from someone who's perceived by a lot of people as the standout keeper in the league to the best in the world - an argument that will hold even greater weight with a reinvigorated Spain.

Those are some of the things Neuer has consistently had over De Gea even while dropping a clanger from time to time - starring for a Top 3-5 club in football (which translates to playing in the high-pressure latter stages of the Champions League and frequently making big saves), and being a dominant presence in the national team - and once his reputation was built as an in-vogue sweeper keeper who won the World Cup and the Treble with Germany and Bayern, any incumbent had to challenge him on all fronts (and De Gea hasn't, unfortunately). Once David does that, you will start seeing him in Ballon D'Or lists and FIFA/UEFA XIs (instead of just the PFA Team of the Year) because Neuer's spot as the best goalkeeper in the world is there for the taking.

Reckon he has a solid chance of ending up as a Top 10 goalkeeper of all time, maybe even make a push for the Top 5 if he wins big titles with Spain and United. Certainly has the talent for it - about time he started padding his collective resume, too.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I disagree with your last point. I'm a big fan of de Gea but he's still not very good at controlling the penalty area. Often, he leaves it to defenders to head away crosses that he could easily have claimed. The "best" example is Everton last season when Jagielka scored.
True, there are some that he probably could have claimed but didn't. I think that goes for every goalkeeper though. I meant more in the way that he's not attempting to claim a cross and getting easily outmuscled or flapping at the ball, like what happened quite frequently in those first few months. When he does come to claim it, it's spot on.

I'd certainly like to see him come off his line a bit more. Not to the extent of being a sweeper, but cleaning up through balls, balls over the top and such. He's still very hesitant in that area.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

Paul_Scholes18

He was really good today. The last 2 seasons he has not been that great. Not sure if it was due to the Real Madrid move or just the fact that we played terrible and with low confidence in general. Now he looks to be back at the world class level De Gea we know he has in him. Didn't have to make any fantastic saves, but I do think he did really well today with what he had to do. Just brought us some calmness as well. Overall this season he has been excellent so far. Keep it up!

el3mel

He was really good today. The last 2 seasons he has not been that great. Not sure if it was due to the Real Madrid move or just the fact that we played terrible and with low confidence in general. Now he looks to be back at the world class level De Gea we know he has in him. Didn't have to make any fantastic saves, but I do think he did really well today with what he had to do. Just brought us some calmness as well. Overall this season he has been excellent so far. Keep it up!
Thought the same but for the last season only ( he was great in LVG last season IMO, him, Martial and Rashford were the only bright thing during this terrible period ) but I was underwhelmed by him last season, even though he wasn't in direct fault for nearly any goals but he raised the expectations for him so much that I though some goals we conceded he could have saved them as he saved harder than them before. This season he's back to his usual self with the same raised expectations.

I think Madrid move was the thing affecting his mind but he seems settled here now and hopefully he won't think of moving to Spain again any soon.

In Rainbows

He was good 2 years ago. It was last season where he didn't perform as well as the prior years.

AKDevil

He was good 2 years ago. It was last season where he didn't perform as well as the prior years.
I don’t think that it’s a case of him not being good, more that he didn’t have to be as good last year as he had in previous seasons. At times he’s been too overworked. Some games embarrassing the amount of work he’s had to do.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t think that it’s a case of him not being good, more that he didn’t have to be as good last year as he had in previous seasons. At times he’s been too overworked. Some games embarrassing the amount of work he’s had to do.
Spot on imo a few seasons ago he had a lot of shots in and around the box to deal with. Apart from the Stoke and Swansea game no team has really had much of a sniff. I still feel our defence is not quite right for him to really excel. We need a bit more height as DDG doesn't like coming off his line, in the La liga he would be outstanding.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He was ridiculously good in LvG's 2nd season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Only Delaney tweeting about it so far so I didn't think it was worth it's own thread:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Only Delaney tweeting about it so far so I didn't think it was worth it's own thread:
I think it merits its own thread, de Gea's contract issues. It's an ongoing discussion. Positive article :)

Suedesi

Was having a conversation with the bloke next to me at OT yesterday as to the most talented United players I've seen play live (been going since 1995). I couldn't look much further than de Gea at number three behind Ronaldo and Scholes - bizarre as it might sound.
More talented than Giggs?

JMack1234

I'd like there to be a new contract but Delaney is a terrible journalist so i'll wait and see.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Signing a new contract wouldn’t mean anything in terms of whether he’ll leave in the summer if Real come back in for him however I’m uncomfortable with any of our players who only have 2 years left on their deals so yes protect our asset and get him signed up

criticalanalysis

Surprised no one criticising about his positioning during the Southampton game. More than a few times, where he should have been off his line and collected or clear balls towards the edge of the penalty box, he was nowhere to be seen.

He's probably not comfortable doing it but that's not an excuse because it meant having Jones and Bailly facing bringing the ball towards their own goal with someone breathing down their neck.

He's not a sweeper keeper but he can't be sticking to his line because that pegs us back 5-10 yards and leaves all the decisions on the centre backs when he's in prime position to deal with them.

Still De God but yeh.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Would be great to see him sign a new contract, even if it is just further delaying the inevitable.

Surprised no one criticising about his positioning during the Southampton game. More than a few times, where he should have been off his line and collected or clear balls towards the edge of the penalty box, he was nowhere to be seen.

He's probably not comfortable doing it but that's not an excuse because it meant having Jones and Bailly facing bringing the ball towards their own goal with someone breathing down their neck.

He's not a sweeper keeper but he can't be sticking to his line because that pegs us back 5-10 yards and leaves all the decisions on the centre backs when he's in prime position to deal with them.

Still De God but yeh.
I think that was probably what he was told to do. Bailly was playing deeper than Jones I think to combat the likelihood of long/through balls from Southampton. He was the one tasked with sweeping up instead of De Gea.

Status
Not open for further replies.