Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Last season he made some errors which cost us points. Did make a few great saves but largely had nothing to do. Was still an above average keeper, this is no slight on him. Jose's reduced our dependence on him.

Zlatan, Mkhi (in the EL) and even Bailly were more important for us last season.
Yep. DDG was far from our best player. He had very little to do, and should perhaps have made a couple more super saves on the goals he conceded.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
The save from Giacherrini's header against Sunderland, the one against Osman and another player, the Madrid game. Its a pity we haven't won more with him.
Oviedo's half volley that he saved is my favourite. So hard to save seeing as it went flying through a load of bodies.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Oviedo's half volley that he saved is my favourite. So hard to save seeing as it went flying through a load of bodies.
That was one hell of a save. If I remember correctly, it was part of a double save- Last min

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Last season he made some errors which cost us points. Did make a few great saves but largely had nothing to do. Was still an above average keeper, this is no slight on him. Jose's reduced our dependence on him.

Zlatan, Mkhi (in the EL) and even Bailly were more important for us last season.
They all had much more poor matches and moments than DDG had. Bailly didnt even play for a month. Mkhi is out of contest really , he wasnt even in the side for months and Zlatan hit a barren run which cost us points too, dont agree at all.

Kapardin

They all had much more poor matches and moments than DDG had. Bailly didnt even play for a month. Mkhi is out of contest really , he wasnt even in the side for months and Zlatan hit a barren run which cost us points too, dont agree at all.
Just because De Gea played every game and was protected by a good defense, doesn't mean he becomes our best player. If we had Sam Johnstone in goal last season, I bet he would have conceded max 6-7 more than De Gea did, which implies that our defense would protect even an average goal-keeper.

De Gea had nothing to do for large stretches of the games, so its' not really proper to compare a goalkeeper's starts with outfield players, as the latter are more prone to injuries and substitutions. In a few games like Stoke at home, De Gea's mistakes cost us points.

The simple question is - who was responsible for us winning the league cup? Zlatan. Who was responsible for keeping us in a top 4 race atleast till April? Zlatan. Who won us the EL? Mkhi's goals throughout the campaign.

Did De Gea make super saves to keep us in games and win us vital points like the previous seasons? No.

Zlatan, ergo, was our best player. His barren run is exaggerated, it was for a month after which he was scoring consistently. Its' the others who missed chances.

beep

FYI: on October 31st, DDG will be the same age (in days) as Peter Schmeichel was on the day that De Gea himself was born - 9,853.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
The save from Suarez's shot where the ball bounced up, was unbelievable. When we lost 3-0 at home.

beep

DDG v the 4 other keepers above him on the all time appearances for United.

DDG (just before age 27 ie now) 274 apps / (first 6 seasons) 269 apps

Schmeichel 0 / 298
Bailey 226 / 283
Stepney 141 / 269
Steward 4 / 116

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Just because De Gea played every game and was protected by a good defense, doesn't mean he becomes our best player. If we had Sam Johnstone in goal last season, I bet he would have conceded max 6-7 more than De Gea did, which implies that our defense would protect even an average goal-keeper.

De Gea had nothing to do for large stretches of the games, so its' not really proper to compare a goalkeeper's starts with outfield players, as the latter are more prone to injuries and substitutions. In a few games like Stoke at home, De Gea's mistakes cost us points.

The simple question is - who was responsible for us winning the league cup? Zlatan. Who was responsible for keeping us in a top 4 race atleast till April? Zlatan. Who won us the EL? Mkhi's goals throughout the campaign.

Did De Gea make super saves to keep us in games and win us vital points like the previous seasons? No.

Zlatan, ergo, was our best player. His barren run is exaggerated, it was for a month after which he was scoring consistently. Its' the others who missed chances.
This is very laughable reason. You assume that it isnt hard for a keeper to stay focused even when he isnt having a busy match. Which is very wrong.

Other than that the assumption you make on Johnstone is ridiculous too, De Gea is one of the factors why the defence is so stable, he takes part is organizing and shaping the defence especially in dangerous situations. Johnstone cant to that to his level. Nor is he aerially as commanding as de Gea currently is which prevents goals.

I can bet that you cant name more than 2 games where De Gea cost us points, but I can name more than 2 where Zlatan did. The comparison is strange because it is easier for a striker to win points but also lose points, but de Gea was of the highest possible/reasonable level for most matches.

You might forget but people even wanted Ibra out of the team for periods last season.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I felt DDG was partly to blame for Stoke's second goal. Started to come, stopped and then seemed to lose his bearings. He still has the occasional horror from crosses (he was appalling in his fist season) which is why I do not think he is the best keeper in the world. The save that led to the corner for that goal was sensational although not quite as good as I first thought: it was at a good height to help over. I still expect him to be at Real sooner rather than later. (and we should move for Jack Butland)

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
DDG v the 4 other keepers above him on the all time appearances for United.

DDG (just before age 27 ie now) 274 apps / (first 6 seasons) 269 apps

Schmeichel 0 / 298
Bailey 226 / 283
Stepney 141 / 269
Steward 4 / 116
Gary Bailey is often forgotten. one of the most underrated keepers of his time. I remember his first game. He was very secure that day and went on to be excellent for us (except maybe that horrid Cup final against Arsenal)

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Such a shame that save won't be remembered well because of Jones' horrible defending from that corner.

His reactions are insanely fast.

Man Utd 3:0 Basel

Sylar

So happy hes getting the clean sheets hes deserved after a few seasons of being our POTY and being let down by others. Its nice to see him not called into action pretty much all the time
Saying that, he made a good save today :lol:

Inter Yer Nan

So happy hes getting the clean sheets hes deserved after a few seasons of being our POTY and being let down by others. Its nice to see him not called into action pretty much all the time
Saying that, he made a good save today :lol:
Yeah, it's a good sign that on the few times he's called upon he's able to make great saves. His concentration is generally excellent.

Varun

Staff

Judging a keeper's season long performance on the basis of super saves that look great on camera is just wrong. There's far more that goes into it like organising defences, taking control of the area, positioning, anticipation etc. Take VDS for instance, he was so bloody good at these that he'd regularly make saves that look absolutely routine but would require another keeper to make a super save to keep out.

Oldham

Can't think of a goalkeeper with better reflexes...maybe Rinat Dasaev.
Found pretty good video of Dasaev:

tomaldinho1

The bookies must make a mint off you

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The only true world class player we have in the squad.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Been very solid today considering the defence haven't exactly been doing him any favours.

Charlie Foley

I don't think you ever played in goal, or in defence for that matter.

Actually I'm doubting you ever played football reading this.

Kapardin

I don't think you ever played in goal, or in defence for that matter.

Actually I'm doubting you ever played football reading this.
Doesn't really matter if you think that.

De Gea was a good player last season, but he wasn't our best player in my opinion when others did more to win us cups. That's all there is to it for me.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I hope we never sell him. He's just incredible.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Our centerbacks started to think that DDG had too little to do, and decided to become a bit shit in the last 2 games.

My MOTM.

el3mel

Without him it would have been another 1-1 draw. Always excellent when called for.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He's incredible, it's so relieving knowing we have him as our last man to beat.

Best in the world.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Meh, de Gea gonna de Gea. Just another day at the office for this superstar.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's the best keeper in the world.
I may be crazy but I don't think it's up for debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.