Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inter Yer Nan

His contract is 2019+1 year, so really 2020 so he can't really leave cheap in the summer as Delaney is suggesting. Having said that, he's worth an extension and pay raise so I'd love to see him sign one as it would also ease worries about a future departure and really show his commitment to us. He's one of our most important players on the field and off the field I'm sure to given how long he's been here and grown up as a player at the club.

criticalanalysis

I think that was probably what he was told to do. Bailly was playing deeper than Jones I think to combat the likelihood of long/through balls from Southampton. He was the one tasked with sweeping up instead of De Gea.
Perhaps but it's not an one-off. He's quite hesitant to leave his line at all, corners, crosses, long balls over the defence etc.

I think we/Mourinho can indulge his weakness a little because he's so fecking great anyways but if he had a bit more impetus in those situations, he'd be even better and most of all it would really help his defence massively. He doesn't need to be gungho like Lloris but he has to increase his area of operation other than his 6 yard box.

Perhaps but it's not an one-off. He's quite hesitant to leave his line at all, corners, crosses, long balls over the defence etc.

I think we/Mourinho can indulge his weakness a little because he's so fecking great anyways but if he had a bit more impetus in those situations, he'd be even better and most of all it would really help his defence massively. He doesn't need to be gungho like Lloris but he has to increase his area of operation other than his 6 yard box.
It is a weakness in his game but I'm not sure it's a weakness in our game. If we play a high line we have rapid defenders who can cover the ground between them and DDG faster than any striker can. I think that's better than DDG charging out and risking getting caught in no man's land.

criticalanalysis

It is a weakness in his game but I'm not sure it's a weakness in our game. If we play a high line we have rapid defenders who can cover the ground between them and DDG faster than any striker can. I think that's better than DDG charging out and risking getting caught in no man's land.
It's not a 'weakness' but there's a liability there as long balls over the top with speedy strikers (basically most teams) puts pressure on our defenders and team as it pegs us back. Facing our own goal, our defenders can't turn and pass it back to the midfield and seeing DDG so reluctant, they're not gonna pass to him. Next option? Try and shield it out for a goal kick, throw in or boot it out. Result? Our team has to drop 10-30 yards to defend in our own half due to a simple long ball. DDG coming to collect half of those balls would help so much.

The thing is, I remember at least two times, where it would have been VERY comfortable/sensible balls for DDG to collect, even if he lightly sprinted to the penalty box D. Instead, Jones or Bailly had to play it out under pressure, who don't forget were often isolated in that situation, so they had to hold onto it or if/when back up came. All very unneccesary.

In the grand scheme of things, obviously there's more to look at e.g if we play a high line then why are we not pressing those players, who play the long balls? However, DDG has to take some accountability here.

It's a glaring weakness imo (to me/fans who watch every minute) because he has so few but because he/we can get away with it, doesn't mean he/we shouldn't try to improve on it though. In a way I understand Mourinho's tactics/coaching as he's trying to simplify things for the players (post LVG) and because it's effective. He tells Smalling not to 'worry' about passing (or ask more) because he knows he's poor at it, he doesn't ask for offensive output from players like Herrera and Darmian because it's not what he expects from them etc.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Best in the world. Signing him to a new long term contract has to be a priority for Ed.

OneUnited24

Give him whatever Neymars on!

Seriously just get 2 more seasons out of him and i'll carry him to Madrid

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Best GK in the world at the moment. We're luck to have him :drool:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He's something else. Any other goalkeeper and we'd have quite possibly atleast a goal down.

It's gotten to a point where those who say he's not better than Neuer are only basing it on the reputation rather than actual performacnes.

IhabX7

This man makes me laugh. Teams find it so hard to get past our last line of defence only to find this absolute force of nature between the posts.

el3mel

He's on a different level than the rest of GKs in the world, except Neur but I'm pretty sure he'll exceed Neur form because as frighteningly excellent David is now, I don't think that's even his prime!!

barmyarmy

There is nothing surprising in his saves now he does it fairly regularly pulling off a blinder

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
His 'off form' is better than vast majority of goalkeepers 'top form'.

When he hits 'top form' like he did in that first half, he is literally unbeatable.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Anybody that thinks Neur is the best in the world is an idiot. DDG is the real deal. Top class.

Inter Yer Nan

He's so far ahead it's not close. Watched on my lunch break and described him as being to goalies what Usain Bolt was to the 100m sprint. I think he's just that far ahead.

Hope he stays for his career. The type of guy you'd bring home to your wife and let him have her.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I'm pretty sure Brad Friedel was hesitating calling him the best keeper. He's the best, simple as. feck being a sweeper keeper.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
How much gel does he put in his hair for it to stay so steady and slick, despite diving around like a madman?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
When other keepers make crazy saves, you see their defenders congratulating them like they're heros. We don't really do that with DDG because it's all routine apparently.

InfiniteBoredom

Always remember looking at his signing picture with us in that dreadful shirt and the thing that stood out is how fecking long his fingers are :lol:

Just a god in front of goal. Quite ironic he didn't have to do much to earn his clean sheets but conceded on days when he was absolutely on fire.

Sylar

Want him to win the CL with us as a reward, as hes carried us in those post Fergie years.
Its so nice that he has a defence in front of him at last. Shame it wasnt another clean sheet for him though.

No goalkeeper is better than him. Dont care what anybody says.

kotha

What a player.. None of us would have had watched the game as peacefully yesterday if not for his saves..

He deserves his pay rise and we need to get him on another long term contract immediately!!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's funny, I'm almost disappointed these days when he concedes. I actually though the goal he let in was easier to save than some of the other shots he saved tonight. He's usually great with his legs but I guess the power on the shot caught him out.

Aside from that though he was in god mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.