Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

arnie_ni

How I long for the day we have a goalkeeper who's actually brave enough to command his area. There was a bit in the first half where he made a timid attempt at getting to a cross and then complained to the ref that he was fouled. He's the lion from the Wizard Of Oz.
He was fouled. We got a fk

Adnan

Talent Spotter
De Gea and Wan Bissaka aren't good enough to play in a team that wants to implement vertical positional play with success. As soon as Spurs started to take risks in the second half, we crumbled.

I'm also can't for the life of me understand why De Gea kicks it long vertically rather than goes long diagonally. And sadly for us, Spurs scored from his low IQ play.

Gomes

Imagine posting in this thread after that game. Talk about an agenda.

Mmm-Qatarian

No excuse for not closing down the winger, he just stood and looked at him cross the ball for goal.

Don't think there's much to blame DDG for, usual performance from him, decent saves, some terrible passing, game falls to shit when the team comes under pressure. Nothing new there.
Broadly agree with this but I do think it's worth mentioning that Dave has his share of the blame in the fact that we fall to shit when the team comes under pressure (and I know you do make this point @Oranges038).

Every time an opponent smells blood and begins to apply some pressure to our back line, every kick from De Gea goes long. It makes it really difficult to calm the game down and take back any semblance of control.

I'm not saying he's solely to blame for this issue but it's yet another reason to add to the list of reasons why he should not be our starting keeper moving forward.

NLunited

Imagine posting in this thread after that game. Talk about an agenda.
Yep it‘s all DeGea‘s fault. Mental ain‘t it?

It is not because our players got tired and the subs weren‘t good enough.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He was fouled. We got a fk
Didn't think there was too much in it myself. His first instinct when he has to put his body on the line is to capitulate and then ask something from the ref. Makes sense why we seem to bottle so many games these past few years when he's the one of the senior members and leaders in the dressing room.

Mmm-Qatarian

Nobody's saying it's all De Gea's fault. Just that his weaknesses were once again on display tonight, and once again all you guys have in return is "Muh agenda! Other players were bad too!"

TempusFugit

We will never be able to control possession with a keeper who just hoofs it at the slightest sign of pressure. Who were our targets today? Rashford? Martial? Neither are particularly good aerially. The opponent just cleans up the loose ball and launches another attack. De Gea needs to be a 2nd choice keeper, he's not good enough.

Oranges038

Broadly agree with this but I do think it's worth mentioning that Dave has his share of the blame in the fact that we fall to shit when the team comes under pressure (and I know you do make this point @Oranges038).

Every time an opponent smells blood and begins to apply some pressure to our back line, every kick from De Gea goes long. It makes it really difficult to calm the game down and take back any semblance of control.

I'm not saying he's solely to blame for this issue but it's yet another reason to add to the list of reasons why he should not be our starting keeper moving forward.
Yeah, I agree. It's easier to play calm at the back when you have a keeper with composure. He just panics at the sight of the opposition and boots it.

But if you look at that second goal, the ball is kicked out wide. Wtf is Rashford doing? He can win that header, but just does a token jump.

Longshanks

If he stepped off his line and claimed the perisic ball that leads to the first goal like 90% of other pro GK's would, and he was able play the ball out under pressure so we don't relentlessly give the ball away going long to players compleatly unsuited to it. That we walk out of there with three comfortable points tonight.

Sure the subs didn't help and we obviously tired towards the end, but we shouldn't of needed to worry about any of it, if we had a decent GK.

Rustyspider13

He had a decent game, but the second goal was partly on him. Malacia is in acres of space on our left but he kicked it long to Rashford (I think) who lost the header that fell directly to Kane. It's not really a mistake on DDG's part, but it does highlight his weakness as a leader at the back. Maybe it's unfair to ask DDG to be something he's not, but we're desperately short of leadership with both our CBs injured and I wished he could've stepped up. While not a priority for next season, we will need a keeper with more composure to make the next step.

Idxomer

If he stepped off his line and claimed the perisic ball that leads to the first goal like 90% of other pro GK's would, and he was able play the ball out under pressure so we don't relentlessly give the ball away going long to players compleatly unsuited to it. That we walk out of there with three comfortable points tonight.

Sure the subs didn't help and we obviously tired towards the end, but we shouldn't of needed to worry about any of it, if we had a decent GK.
He simply never gives us a chance to take the sting out of the game, always panicking and never claiming any crosses when under pressure.

I seriously have no idea why he still has so many ardent defenders on here.

Zed is not dead

We will never be able to control possession with a keeper who just hoofs it at the slightest sign of pressure. Who were our targets today? Rashford? Martial? Neither are particularly good aerially. The opponent just cleans up the loose ball and launches another attack. De Gea needs to be a 2nd choice keeper, he's not good enough.
It also doesn’t help that every time he plays short passes our players lose it 30 yards from the box by attempting strange sh*te.
AWB Bruno or Casemiro all lost the ball after a short distribution from De Gea, not because De Gea’s pass was bad but because they couldn’t string two passes together.

It’s getting tiring that after each game this thread gets full of criticism while even during the first half we were sh*te and De Gea wasnt hoofing it long.

Casemiro Eriksen and Bruno weren’t able to hold the ball, simple as that

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He actually came for a cross in the first half that was an outswinger that I never would have thought he would come for. That was encouraging.

For their first goal, I've heard rumblings of it being offside with Richarlson interfering with De Gea. And that would be correct if De Gea at the very least made an effort for the ball. He just stood there. Make a move for it and Richarlson is then interfering and the goal doesn't count. That one bugged me...

Oranges038

He actually came for a cross in the first half that was an outswinger that I never would have thought he would come for. That was encouraging.

For their first goal, I've heard rumblings of it being offside with Richarlson interfering with De Gea. And that would be correct if De Gea at the very least made an effort for the ball. He just stood there. Make a move for it and Richarlson is then interfering and the goal doesn't count. That one bugged me...
He was pushed into that position.

If that's called as offside, could it be brought back for a penalty anyway?

NLunited

We challenge for the second ball, not the first. Half of Ederson‘s long balls go to the other team, or more than half. As I said, this thread is ridiculous.

I will rewatch the first goal since I missed it.

Last edited:

Red00012

His ability to just stay on his line when a ball is crossed into the box 6 yards away astounds me .

I guess there’s a chance he might get hurt

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We challenge for the second ball, not the first. Half of Ederson‘s long balls go to the other team, or more than half. As I saud this thread is ridiculous.

I will rewatch the first goal since I missed it.
Not a problem when that happens deep in the opposition half. A problem when it happens at the half way line. See the second goal tonight. His inability to get any length on “long” clearances is annoying.

lex talionis

I see the cringelord De Gea haters are out in full force again.

Neither goal was on De Gea, nor was the collapse of our midfield play on De Gea. The aspects of his play that are not at the level of peak Allison (which no longer exists) are there for all to see, but Dave did job tonight and was far, very far, from being our weak link.

Sylar

Not a problem when that happens deep in the opposition half. A problem when it happens at the half way line. See the second goal tonight. His inability to get any length on “long” clearances is annoying.
Yes especially when it's normally always a straight kick with no pace on it, which means one header or pass puts opposition on attack straight away. There's no angle on it and it never has distance.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You didn't, but others have.

I just meant in general you couldn't complain about an offside when Richarlison was "pushed" to where he ended up.
Was he though? Mind you, my entire argument is that nobody can call for offside if Richarlson isn't actually interfering. In order to interfere, De Gea has to make an attempt to save it. It was almost as if he didn't even know Richarlson was there until he turned around to pick the ball out of his net

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Was he though? Mind you, my entire argument is that nobody can call for offside if Richarlson isn't actually interfering. In order to interfere, De Gea has to make an attempt to save it. It was almost as if he didn't even know Richarlson was there until he turned around to pick the ball out of his net
I don't know what's worse, if he knows Richarlison is there but does nothing to draw the interference call, or if he lacks basic positional awareness and doesn't even realize Richarlison is there.

Oranges038

Yeah, he was pushed/nudged by Casemiro. He may have exaggerated it a bit.

I'd agree, he's not offside, DDG doesn't even attempt to move for it and doesn't see him until it's already in the net.

Sylar

Why do ddg defenders get so offended with any sort of criticism towards him?

And it's always the same response, agenda, stats schmaths or laughing smilies but they never contribute anything themselves except bringing in other keepers who have made mistakes or saying ddg does things only he can do.

You guys act like this is the only thread bumped after a match. It's very weird

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I see the cringelord De Gea haters are out in full force again.

Neither goal was on De Gea, nor was the collapse of our midfield play on De Gea. The aspects of his play that are not at the level of peak Allison (which no longer exists) are there for all to see, but Dave did job tonight and was far, very far, from being our weak link.
It's the Players' Performance thread, not the Blame-whoever-was-at-fault-for-the-goals-thread.

Some of us are just pointing out what we are making of his performance today and his today showed aspects of his play that are severely lacking.

BorisManUtd

Not because of this game, thought it was mixed performance from De Gea tonight, but even though changing your GK and getting a new one is different than making a change in other positions, I really think it’s time to get a new GK this summer. Would need to be right one though of course, can’t buy just for the sake of it.

NLunited

It's the Players' Performance thread, not the Blame-whoever-was-at-fault-for-the-goals-thread.

Some of us are just pointing out what we are making of his performance today and his today showed aspects of his play that are severely lacking.
I would be fine with that, if the criticism was balanced and made sense. It mostly doesn‘t. I don‘t see how you can blame De Gea for both goals, it was the whole defense/team that failed.

He is not perfect but there are much more important issues to address.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The only thing you can criticize him for is he's always had a habit of just standing shocked rather than do a hopeless dive but still make an attempt to save the ball for the first. Had he done that, then it'd be offside with richarlison blocking him. Instead he didn't bother... Not a big deal, but it's been a thing with him for a while where he doesn't bother trying to save shots that are pretty much unsavable anyway (or so they seem in his mind in the moment)

Status
Not open for further replies.