Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RopersReturn

This guy couldn't tell his arse from his elbow. He's not been able to get a better keeper than de gea for years and he's our goalkeeping scout. When someone does buy the club a massive clear out of shite is needed.
He seems a bit uncomfortable giving that interview.

Sylar

Interesting that some posters still believe DDG has been one of the best keepers in the world for much of his career with us.
That career at United has been 12 years, so you would have to believe he has been world class for at least 7 years.

izec

Interesting that some posters still believe DDG has been one of the best keepers in the world for much of his career with us.
That career at United has been 12 years, so you would have to believe he has been world class for at least 7 years.
He was maximum world class for 5 years, and that is debatable. He was never the best in the world though.

Cypriot

The standard of Goalkeeping in Europe whilst he has been at United has been extremely high - especially from players such as Courtois & Ter Stegen. However, he certainly was the best in the world at one point, maybe even if was only for one or two years - we were very lucky to have him then. It's sad to see the drop off, but he has been excellent for us overall, and it's extremely disrespectful for people to be hounding him at this stage of his career. He doesn't choose the team that plays, nor is he expected to resign whilst contracted just to appease some triggered fans.

Sylar

He was maximum world class for 5 years, and that is debatable. He was never the best in the world though.
I'd say three. Maybe four. 14/15 he made a lot of good saves (actually at the time, saves you would think 'wow, I don't think other keepers would'
Can't remember how 17/18 was for him as a season as it's now a blur those few but I'd say he was easily as good as neuer (where his saves and his pros easily outweighs his negatives)

The funny thing is I remember when ddg came to us, one of the things I liked was his passing / kicking and taking chances (he was doing bloody Cruyff turns to get away from attackers)

That all seemed to go away (I guess cos he was told to just hoof it every time the more negative our manager got)

One thing I never understood from Ole was him wanting to play out the back, he didn't want smalling for this reason , bought awb and persisted with ddg for too long, but that's a different story...

Marcelinho87

The standard of Goalkeeping in Europe whilst he has been at United has been extremely high - especially from players such as Courtois & Ter Stegen. However, he certainly was the best in the world at one point, maybe even if was only for one or two years - we were very lucky to have him then. It's sad to see the drop off, but he has been excellent for us overall, and it's extremely disrespectful for people to be hounding him at this stage of his career. He doesn't choose the team that plays, nor is he expected to resign whilst contracted just to appease some triggered fans.
Nobody is hounding him, he's getting a bit of flak on redcafe, doubt it even enters his radar.

As for world class, I like to dispute these things... Our defence at those points were terrible so we conceded a hell of a lot of shots, meaning his amount of saves was going to increase, making him better on paper than in reality.

The fact is he's always been excellent at shot stopping and mediocre at best in everything else and now he's only mediocre in shot stopping.

If he was ever world class, he'd have been a far bigger part of the Spain NT.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

For some reason I think their data is shit or something wrong. I was checking this site few days back, compared Raya vs Ederson and Raya vs Alisson. Raya looks much better than both.
Also De Gea vs Ederson looked very close.

L1nk

Think we've done him a bit dirty all things considered, even if we need to move on. This all feels like it's because we don't know what to do with our summer budget and the takeover.

Quite frankly though it sounds like we want him on a 2nd goalkeeper type of contract

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
His ending with the club deserved to be handled with more respect. We need a new goalkeeper obviously but this has been another terrible handling by the club hierarchy.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Wouldn't want to believe that.... would be incredibly poor form from the club if true.

Regardless of whether you want him to stay or not - that's definitely not the way to treat your longest serving player.

Irwin99

Think we've done him a bit dirty all things considered, even if we need to move on. This all feels like it's because we don't know what to do with our summer budget and the takeover.

Quite frankly though it sounds like we want him on a 2nd goalkeeper type of contract
I did wonder a bit back when we might hear DDG's side of this, i don't think it will be very positive on the club. Some will argue, quite correctly, that the club is naturally putting its interests first but from his perspective it looks as if he's been messed about.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I have my opinions on whether he should stay (he shouldn’t imo) - but that’s incredibly poor by the club - wonder if it impacted his form because he made some very high profile errors towards the end of the season after being solid kicking aside after Brentford.

sugar_kane

fecking clown show at our club.

I want him replaced, but this is disgraceful conduct on our part.

He's a popular guy in the dressing room too, maybe not to the level when his bros Herrera and Mata were around but still a respected professional. This won't go down well with the rest of the players.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Confirmation from Laurie as well
Very poor from the club. Just don't offer any contract, if you did then should stick to it.

Imo offering contract was a mistake, we will get lot of shit for withdrawing the contract and we deserve every bit of it. Short term criticism but for long term it's a good decision. The way it was handled is just poor. It's like everything is wrong in his move, from offering contract to re-offering contract.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If he's been treated like that, then that's absolutely shocking. Been with us a long time and through some dark periods, whatever you think of what should have happened with him this summer his future should have been handled with far more respect. Very disappointed with the club if true.

BarstoolProphet

This hasn't been handled very well. He deserves to be treated way better than he has, despite it being obvious that he has to go.

L1nk

Wouldn't want to believe that.... would be incredibly poor form from the club if true.

Regardless of whether you want him to stay or not - that's definitely not the way to treat your longest serving player.
If it's coming from Laurie and the Athletic i'd be inclined to believe it. Considering how much this has dragged on I think that further proves that it's most likely true. I agree with you though, even if we do need a new keeper this is a rather poor way to deal with the situation, but at the same time I don't necessarily believe it's all down to ETH and Murtough though, but them being in the dark about true budgets and what they can do in the summer transfer window being communicated to them late and unclear by the Glazers.

I think the original plan was to keep him because there wasn't necessarily the funds to sign multiple positions, but now they've been made aware of what they can do they've considered a first choice keeper and as the above report states they made what was originally deemed as a first choice keeper contract to him, only to back out of it and probably offer him more inline with what they consider to be a 2nd choice keeper contract.

It's been reported multiple times over the last few weeks he's been so close to signing a new deal only for it to just not happen, here's why.

ArbeitervonWien

We desperately need a new GK, but if the reports are true, this is really an appalling treatment of a former great player.

Then again, we stuffed him with shitloads of money all those years. He should be alright. Football's a greedy business, who's expecting decency?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Absolute joke if true. Just goes to show you the club is still run by indecisive clowns.

Oranges038

I did wonder a bit back when we might hear DDG's side of this, i don't think it will be very positive on the club. Some will argue, quite correctly, that the club is naturally putting its interests first but from his perspective it looks as if he's been messed about.
Since Fergie left players have been treated worse in terms of how their exits have been handled.

Several, including Rio didn't know they weren't gettting a new deal until after they played their last game.

At least he got offered a deal before being hung out to dry.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
If he's been treated like that, then that's absolutely shocking. Been with us a long time and through some dark periods, whatever you think of what should have happened with him this summer his future should have been handled with far more respect. Very disappointed with the club if true.
Agreed. On top of that it shows a complete lack of strategy. We knew his limitations style wise when we offered the contract - De Gea hasn’t changed but in a few months apparently the profile we want has changed. It doesn’t paint a good picture of clear decision making behind the scenes.

Gaidal

Is that the right way to handle it, of course not. But I can´t say that I mind if we start actually being a bit ruthless, even if it is against a player that has been here for a long time. He should never have been offered an extension at all.

izec

I dont know why we offered him the contract if we were not sure. And then change it after he signed it. I mean completely unprofessional and amateurish.

Jund

Um...who's handling this? Somebody with a diploma from Clown College?

SAFMUTD

The fact that not a single club has approach him when he's been free to negotiate since january speaks a lot of how much he's fallen.

Mainoldo

So we are now offering him the wages of a number 2 GK.

Sounds like a sensible solution to an absolutely stupid first solution. What keeper at the current level he is playing at deserves £200k a week.

Nogbadthebad

Utterly unprofessional and completly at odds with the way the club should be ran.

Its not just the glazers here, that is some complete shithousery from the financial team.

We deserve to lose him, and lose him without a replacement too. Maybe when there are real, visible consequences some of these arseholes will be kicked out of the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.