Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiriticon

Unbelievable that he could improve to perhaps be a decent enough sweeper keeper in his thirties. He could stay as No.1 for another 3-4 years if he can do it.

If he had it in him all along, then we have failed him with our coaching for the last 10 years.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Full credit to Dave. He's doing everything he can to correct the faults we thought were set in stone. In this form, there's not many would take his place. I love his attitude at the moment. You feel this is the sort of regime he's been dreaming about.

Oranges038

Couple of quality saves.

Liking the way he's more proactive in coming off bis line.

Looks like a player with something to prove, being in the last year of a big fat contract can have that effect.

NewYorkRed

Couple of quality saves.

Liking the way he's more proactive in coming off bis line.

Looks like a player with something to prove, being in the last year of a big fat contract can have that effect.
Was it you in the summer that told me there was absolutely no chance that DDG would be number 1 under ETH?

lex talionis

An outstanding performance.

But of course, if only we had Ramsdale or some other “modern keeper”, we would be scoring goals for fun…or so I’ve been advised here.

Longshanks

Credit's where credit's due couple of excellent saves and his sweeping has improved with a generally much higher starting position when we are defending high.

Distribution is still a bit sketchy and inconsistent but at least he isn't just launching everything now.

But he is still causing issues with his serious lack of command, ball after ball getting launched into our box and he just stands there and let's his defenders try and scramble it out from under there own crossbar and we wonder why we can't get it out and get penned it at home by west ham and are lucky to escape with the three points.

Any other GK in the PL would come and take command and claim some of those crosses stopping the attack dead and giving there team some breathing space and maybe even start a dangerous counter to kill the game off.

Despite improvements he still has to go IMO.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Wonderful shot stopper. We all knew that already. He has improved his reading of the game. But I still think he’s not the modern day keeper for us moving forward. His ball distribution is still below par IMO. Great performances on Sunday nonetheless

Lyng

Credit's where credit's due couple of excellent saves and his sweeping has improved with a generally much higher starting position when we are defending high.

Distribution is still a bit sketchy and inconsistent but at least he isn't just launching everything now.

But he is still causing issues with his serious lack of command, ball after ball getting launched into our box and he just stands there and let's his defenders try and scramble it out from under there own crossbar and we wonder why we can't get it out and get penned it at home by west ham and are lucky to escape with the three points.

Any other GK in the PL would come and take command and claim some of those crosses stopping the attack dead and giving there team some breathing space and maybe even start a dangerous counter to kill the game off.

Despite improvements he still has to go IMO.
Any other GK in the PL and we lose yesterday.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Improved in the last 10 games or so.

Ws immense yesterday with distribution, reading and of course shot stopping.

Happy for him, hope he continues like this.

romufc

Exactly this. Sick of the disrespect from our fans. He’s been outstanding this season.
DDG has shown signs of improvement to becoming a better passer and the like.

One thing he has always been amazing at is his actual goal keeping attributes.

Ten Hag said, its not about De Gea's kicking, is the players give him multiple options to pass to, he can pass. We have seen Lisandro give DDG the easy option all the time so, if DDG fails to see a pass somewhere, he knows he can play it to Lisandro.

The Ramsdale's of this world will not be able to improve their reflexes though, as I believe any other keeper and we draw that game.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Get in the Dave :drool: outstanding last night and some reaction to his WC snub.

He's getting better each week I think too, improving in distribution / coming off his line / being more vocal. I sincerely hope he keeps going cause I love the man.

Oranges038

Was it you in the summer that told me there was absolutely no chance that DDG would be number 1 under ETH?
Could have been and I'll be happy to be proven wrong. He's doing better this season and needing to prove he deserves another massive contract is a part of that.

He's been better the last few games. But let's not kid ourselves he's improved his level this season but in reality he's statistically still one of the worst performing keepers in the league in nearly every department.

Idxomer

While he had a great game, the defence faced 25 crosses and he didn't stop a single one of them.

He doesn't seem like he'll ever improve in that area.

Longshanks

Any other GK in the PL and we lose yesterday.
Any other GK in the PL and we don't come under anyway near much pressure on the last 15 minutes.

He made the saves this time and they were good saves but there is plenty of times in the past in similar situations he hasn't made the saves and we have conceded late goals under immense pressure because he refuses to take any responsibility for dealing with balls into the box.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
While he had a great game, the defence faced 25 crosses and he didn't stop a single one of them.

I'm a longtime proponent of DDG, but I lost count of how many headed clearances by defenders occurred within the goal box. He needs to be able to contend with those balls at a very minimum.

Mike Smalling

Wouldn't you expect pretty much every goalkeeper in the league to save that shot from Rice? It was dramatic because it was late and a thunderous shot from distance, but it would have been very disappointing if he let it go in. The Zouma save was much better.

Looks likely that he will break the all-time clean sheet record this season. Needs 8 more to equal Schmeichel according to a random internet source. Great achievement, even if his average is much, much lower.

CloneMC16

Always been my biggest problem with De Gea. He was very, very good yesterday, but this is an area that he's never improved.

Wouldn't you expect pretty much every goalkeeper in the league to save that shot from Rice? It was dramatic because it was late and a thunderous shot from distance, but it would have been very disappointing if he let it go in. The Zouma save was much better.

Looks likely that he will break the all-time clean sheet record this season. Needs 8 more to equal Schmeichel according to a random internet source. Great achievement, even if his average is much, much lower.
Yeah, after watching it again, it's a save I would expect most top level keepers to make. The Zouma save was world class and won us the points.

If our defence keeps playing like it has been, he should break it this season. It'll be a fantastic achievement.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Claiming crosses I just don't expect him to ever be good at as he's shown zero sign of even trying to improve in that regard.

The question is how much he can actually improve his sweeping and distribution. He's obviously trying to improve both, though as of right now they remain weaknesses.

If he continued improving in those areas and cross claiming was left as his only significant weakness, you could absolutely live with it. Particularly as the more we dominate games the fewer crosses and set-pieces he'll face.

But the key point is that his sweeping and distribution does need to keep improving. Because as is, even with the improvements he's tried to make already, he still isn't near good enough as an all round package.

Ultimately I trust ETH either way, so we'll see what call he makes. Though if he does manage to improve De Gea this quickly, we should wonder what the feck our previous managers were doing with him.

Lyng

Any other GK in the PL and we don't come under anyway near much pressure on the last 15 minutes.

He made the saves this time and they were good saves but there is plenty of times in the past in similar situations he hasn't made the saves and we have conceded late goals under immense pressure because he refuses to take any responsibility for dealing with balls into the box.
It wasnt De Gea's fault that we got under pressure though.

czemuch

"If he continued improving in those areas and cross claiming was left as his only significant weakness, you could absolutely live with it."

You can have a weakness, yes, but the problem is, he can't catch a cross which would have been caught by a womens goalkeper, the evidence was in friendly matches, when he was asked to come to crosses and it was the worst tries i have seen in my life, last 3 matches he maybe only came to a one cross, vs west ham we have faced 25 crosses and he never came to a single one, sooner or later we will suffer badly bacause of it, in a modern football it will never gonna work long term, as we will apply to ourselves too much pressure. Luckily we had Varane and Martinez who was the best partnership in the world for me.

Alemar

How could people say he didn’t deal with crosses vs West Ham? Dave made one successful punch - it shall count as a cross handled

NewYorkRed

Could have been and I'll be happy to be proven wrong. He's doing better this season and needing to prove he deserves another massive contract is a part of that.

He's been better the last few games. But let's not kid ourselves he's improved his level this season but in reality he's statistically still one of the worst performing keepers in the league in nearly every department.
I honestly don’t care about the stats here, my eyes tell me he’s still great, we had this exact same argument over the summer too. You kept saying how he made the defenders infront of him worse, I told you it was the opposite and we’re already seeing that.

Is he perfect? Not be any means. Is it a massive, massive risk to replace him? Absolutely. GK is one of the hardest positions to fill, there is literally no guarantee that the next guy will just be an instant success. Dave is still an outstanding goalie and like I said in the summer, he’ll be here for a longggg time still.

Edit: yeah I went back and saw our posts on DDG from last season… I’m pretty ok with not taking anything you say about him seriously at all :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

largelyworried

I honestly don’t care about the stats here, my eyes tell me he’s still great, we had this exact same argument over the summer too. You kept saying how he made the defenders infront of him worse, I told you it was the opposite and we’re already seeing that.

Is he perfect? Not be any means. Is it a massive, massive risk to replace him? Absolutely. GK is one of the hardest positions to fill, there is literally no guarantee that the next guy will just be an instant success. Dave is still an outstanding goalie and like I said in the summer, he’ll be here for a longggg time still.
I can't imagine how anyone would boast about this.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Which crosses?

In general I'd potentially agree - but I didn't see any crosses yesterday that any keeper, let alone DDG, is coming out and claiming comfortably.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
If he keeps performing like this and improving his distribution, he might yet stay as number 1. Its obvious getting a striker (maybe 2) will hold priority in the next window.

NewYorkRed

I can't imagine how anyone would boast about this.
Its the eye test. The whole “the stats say this bro” crowd isn’t nearly as cool/smart as it thinks it is. Shock horror to a ton of people who have likely never played a sport in their life, there ARE actually things on a football field that stats won’t show you.

Stats/data has its place. So does just watching someone play with our own eyes still.

Status
Not open for further replies.