Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olecurls99

Lesser GK's make the save less flamboyantly, better GK's don't have to make the save because they claim the corner then set there team of on a counter attack.

But you enjoy your Camera saves from Dave while blaming everyone else when we crumble under the slightest pressure, struggle to defend corners and get pinned it by distinctly average teams time and time again. How many different defenders and midfielders has he played behind and yet these are recurring themes from the last 10 years.
Years of being our player of the season. Thanks for nothing Dave

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
is this thread more toxic? or is it martial? or antony? exciting top 3 finish!

Longshanks

13/14 and last season he was just thriving in cahos we were awful in both season but that makes de Gea look good because he gets to show of his fancy above average shot stopping and reflexes, shame about the rest of his game.

17/18 he was genuinely very good. Credit where credits due. His style suited Joses's low block low risk system. He thrived in having his defenders so deep and staying meaning he could stick to his line and do what he is good at.

14/15 is probably his best season he was very good and actually looked like he might develop into a genuine modern sweeper keeper.

Unfortunately he did not and he has now regressed back to a shot stopping line GK. Inviting pressure, causing panic, but occansionaly pulling off a worldie or just a good save that he makes look like a worldie to keep his fans happy.

He has had a couple of excellent seasons for us in the past but there is no room for sentiment at this level though and he is simply no longer good enough.

Oranges038

His last really good season was 17/18. He then went and had an absolute stinker at the world cup.

Since then he's been average at best in terms of saves and amongst the worst in the league at everything else. All while being the highest paid keeper in the world. The odd truly excellent save conning people into thinking he doesn't need to do anything else. Because he can make these saves that nobody else can.

He's been a good servant, thres's no denying that. But there's just no room at the top for sentiments or anything like that. You can't keep.players on because of what they did tin the past, it's what they are doing now and how they fit with the future. Better players than him have been let go when it was clear they just weren't required anymore. He just doesn't have the style or the skill set that suits how the team is progressing and that's the reason he just has to go.

Andersonson

I'm not. These people are morons. It doesn't actually matter what happens in game, they are spouting the same nonsense anyway. Same in Bruno and Anthony threads.
They should keep to checking FM wonderkids lists and pretending to be scouts.
This is spot on

Orion.

Heard from a very good source that Jordan Pickford will be replacing him in the summer.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Average is a neutral PSxG of zero. Given that De Gea is a goalkeeper who adds nothing whatsoever in terms of most things goalkeepers are generally good at such as dealing with crosses, managing the game, sweeping, organising defenders in front of him, I'm sure you'll agree that you'd expect his shot stopping statistics to be significantly to the positive side of the spectrum? 18/19 minus 1.1, 19/20 minus 0.3, 20/21 minus 1.9, 21/22 plus 1.1, 22/23 minus 2.2. He's generally one of the worst two or three goalkeepers in the league for the other measurables such as sweeping and dealing with crosses. So yeah, considerably below average.

I didn't say the save was luck, no. But I wouldn't expect a Premier League goalkeeper to let a header like that in unless they were miles out of position, which he wasn't. He's positioned well and probably could even hold it but he very rarely holds anything so it's not a surprise he didn't hold it and I'm not going to criticise him for it; in reality if it goes in major questions are being asked.
WTF does that even mean 18/19 minus 1.1, 19/20 minus 0.3, 20/21 minus 1.9, 21/22 plus 1.1, 22/23 minus 2.2.

This is football not a fecking algebra class!

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I won't be surprised if we have a Schmeichel to Barthez situation. Being the United goalkeeper is a massive task, and altough DDG has quite the critics base, replacing him will be huge and his succesor may like have a hard time.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Nothing wrong with David De Goat. Allison's had his moments this season. It happens. We don't need to change our goalkeeper and should be careful what we wish for.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
You say he's considerably below average for four of the last five years. What is average to you? You think he's been CONSIDERABLY worse than the average premier league goalkeeper?
I'm surprised anyone doubts it. The only time in the last five years that he's been above average was the first half of last season. And then he turned around and was below average for the second half of the season, so ultimately had an 'average' season.

If you want to be kind you could say he's been slightly above average so far this season, but that's very debatable.

In all of 18/19, 19/20, 20/21 he was significantly below average. Constant mistakes, at fault for us being knocked out of multiple cup competitions and top four battles, and just constant poor performances. The slight improvement he's made the last 18 months seems to have made people forget about that (and even then he was poor for a third of that 18 months).

Trequartistry

What a load of rubbish. Lesser keepers don't make the save. You do realize there's a reason he's been our keeper for the last decade, right? And it's not because he's an average keeper.
Funnily enough maybe that’s one of the reasons why the club have been where they’ve been the past 10 years

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Just weak as piss. Can’t wait for us to get an upgrade.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’m scared we get a new sweeper keeper and we become almost too perfect for our own good.

Right now we are having to work with De Gea’s weaknesses and our defenders weaknesses so we are kind of more aware of each of our players best assets and worst ones too.

Who knows? We get a sweeper keeper and play a crazy high line that gets beaten regularly because ten hag’s perfected tactics may not work in the PL like it did in the eredivise.

Id keep De Gea as no 2 if he wants to stay.

Based Adnan

I'm surprised anyone doubts it. The only time in the last five years that he's been above average was the first half of last season. And then he turned around and was below average for the second half of the season, so ultimately had an 'average' season.

If you want to be kind you could say he's been slightly above average so far this season, but that's very debatable.

In all of 18/19, 19/20, 20/21 he was significantly below average. Constant mistakes, at fault for us being knocked out of multiple cup competitions and top four battles, and just constant poor performances. The slight improvement he's made the last 18 months seems to have made people forget about that (and even then he was poor for a third of that 18 months).
Some people just see a flashy reflex save and think that's what makes a good goalkeeper

Pickle85

Average is a neutral PSxG of zero. Given that De Gea is a goalkeeper who adds nothing whatsoever in terms of most things goalkeepers are generally good at such as dealing with crosses, managing the game, sweeping, organising defenders in front of him, I'm sure you'll agree that you'd expect his shot stopping statistics to be significantly to the positive side of the spectrum? 18/19 minus 1.1, 19/20 minus 0.3, 20/21 minus 1.9, 21/22 plus 1.1, 22/23 minus 2.2. He's generally one of the worst two or three goalkeepers in the league for the other measurables such as sweeping and dealing with crosses. So yeah, considerably below average.

I didn't say the save was luck, no. But I wouldn't expect a Premier League goalkeeper to let a header like that in unless they were miles out of position, which he wasn't. He's positioned well and probably could even hold it but he very rarely holds anything so it's not a surprise he didn't hold it and I'm not going to criticise him for it; in reality if it goes in major questions are being asked.
Everything that is wrong with the way stats are used in football, right here. To say that he's considerably below average as a premiership keeper is an utter nonsense. Some of you lot just don't deserve some of the players we've been fortunate enough to see here over the years.

Olecurls99

13/14 and last season he was just thriving in cahos we were awful in both season but that makes de Gea look good because he gets to show of his fancy above average shot stopping and reflexes, shame about the rest of his game.

17/18 he was genuinely very good. Credit where credits due. His style suited Joses's low block low risk system. He thrived in having his defenders so deep and staying meaning he could stick to his line and do what he is good at.

14/15 is probably his best season he was very good and actually looked like he might develop into a genuine modern sweeper keeper.

Unfortunately he did not and he has now regressed back to a shot stopping line GK. Inviting pressure, causing panic, but occansionaly pulling off a worldie or just a good save that he makes look like a worldie to keep his fans happy.

He has had a couple of excellent seasons for us in the past but there is no room for sentiment at this level though and he is simply no longer good enough.
Disagree. He had some poor seasons recently but has returned to form this season.

DownRiver

There must be a stat out there showing the amount of goals conceded from corners, straight after a save from a previous corner.
De Gea seems to always save a corner, spills it out for another corner, and concedes straight after.

JB7

Everything that is wrong with the way stats are used in football, right here. To say that he's considerably below average as a premiership keeper is an utter nonsense. Some of you lot just don't deserve some of the players we've been fortunate enough to see here over the years.
Why? My opinion is that he’s a below average PL goalkeeper and has had several poor seasons over the past 5 seasons. I’m sick to death of standing behind his goal shouting “catch the fecking ball” or “go and deal with the ball” about balls the other goalkeeper on the pitch is dealing with in their sleep when I’m watching the best paid goalkeeper in the league.

I am aware it’s an unpopular opinion because he pulls off incredibly acrobatic saves, which to be fair are sometimes genuinely outstanding, but he also allows more goals than he should in terms of saveable shots, as well as offering next to nothing in terms of opportunity prevention, the statistics support my view of that.

It’s odd that he’s been free to talk to clubs from around Europe for a month now and is yet to be linked with absolutely anybody isn’t it? Surely clubs should be beating his door down if he’s that good?

JB7

WTF does that even mean 18/19 minus 1.1, 19/20 minus 0.3, 20/21 minus 1.9, 21/22 plus 1.1, 22/23 minus 2.2.

This is football not a fecking algebra class!
The average goalkeeper would be a score of zero. Minus is that he let in more goals than the average, plus is that he allowed more than the average.

Teams wouldn’t spend a fortune on a striker that was consistently underperforming on their xG in the modern game, why should we accept a goalkeeper underperforming in their version of the same stat? Particularly when that goalkeeper does nothing at all to prevent those shots coming in.

Nothing wrong with David De Goat. Allison's had his moments this season. It happens. We don't need to change our goalkeeper and should be careful what we wish for.
We do need to change our keeper. He can’t catch, kick, or sweep to a standard level.

Unlikely lad

There was a moment where he punched the ball instead of holding it and immediately invited pressure. He's an incredible shot stopper and I love the guy, but he's become such an easy upgrade now.

Wouldn't even need a keeper who's world-class with the ball at his feet to comfortably improve our play.

Idxomer

There was a moment where he punched the ball instead of holding it and immediately invited pressure. He's an incredible shot stopper and I love the guy, but he's become such an easy upgrade now.

Wouldn't even need a keeper who's world-class with the ball at his feet to comfortably improve our play.
His punches are very poor and usually don't pass the penalty area.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
He is such an average keeper overall now. My next worry is that the cup final will go to penalties where we all know what will happen

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The average goalkeeper would be a score of zero. Minus is that he let in more goals than the average, plus is that he allowed more than the average.

Teams wouldn’t spend a fortune on a striker that was consistently underperforming on their xG in the modern game, why should we accept a goalkeeper underperforming in their version of the same stat? Particularly when that goalkeeper does nothing at all to prevent those shots coming in.
Teams don't make decisions based on a bunch of stats

Yeah we could get a guy that does all these things but not as good at stopping goals going in. I know what I'd rather prefer.
Getting a guy who can kick, catch and sweep also helps us not concede goals.

EDIT: Not concede!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.