Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

We have changed defenders, fullbacks and midfielders in front of him since 2018 but we keep conceding more goals than expected for a supposedly top team. This is going to be the 4th season in the last 5 we concede more than 40 goals in the league.

He has been a huge problem for years and if Ten Hag keeps him as our no.1 keeper, he will most likely fail and imo he had already made a mistake going into this season with him.
Also changed set piece coaches, coaching staff and managers.

Longshanks

No I am not 100 % wrong. i coached this stuff for years and played a bit.
So let me take you through the principles involved.
Firstly its defending a freekick out wide which means the off side rule comes into play and enables defending teams to use their defenders to set a line. Exactly what we did. We set the line at the 6 yard line. That enables the defending team to make space for the keeper to defend. Anything isnde the 6 yard box is his responsibility. There are no bodies to fight through to get the ball which is why its his area.
The defenders on the 6 yard line defend the cross if its an out swinger, the goalkeeper if its an in swinger, which is exactly what happened.
The keeper does not come out for an out swinger because this takes him well off his line which means the goal is vulnerable if it drops to an attacker in the penalty box or outside it. If it was a corner there would be defenders on the goal line to cover the keeper heading out.
Very simple principles that have been worked out for decades.
Out swinging cross from a wide free kick is not the one keepers attack. In swinging yes. The only time DDG should go for the ball in that freekick is if its a poorly placed out swinger that comes over inside the 6 yard box or if its an in swinger.

He has to be on his line when the kick is taken because he doesnt know where the cross is going to be sent in until its in the air.
Basic fundamentals of defending.
It goes through the six yard box and is headed by Wilson who is in the six yard box. So it goes over and in the six yard box so De Gea should go for it then?

It is an outswinger buts it's from such a deep position it never gets that far away from the goal and its never going to.

In similar situations more commanding GK will be a step of there line middle of six yard box bouncing hands quite high preparing to claim or Punch. Once they pick the flight of the ball up it's either back on line if it's deep or floating well away from them or if it's about to drop into the six yard box out they go.

De Gea starts on his line and his initial movement is actually backwards, then stationary on his line then takes a little side step to get in line with Wilson, hoping Wilson heads it straight at him like isak did earlier in the game. So he basically stands and watches as Wilson gets into position to have a free header at goal from 5 yards out.

100% guarantee Pope would claim it.

Mmm-Qatarian

I mean for all the shite Dean Henderson receives on this forum, the six months or so that he replaced De Gea in net is some of the most defensively solid football we've played in a good while and that was with no Casemiro, Varane or Licha in the side.

My point here is not to say "Give Deano a chance". My point is that we saw a considerable uptick in defensive performance within the same fecking season when we replaced De Gea with Dean Henderson, who is a below average Premier League goalkeeper.

I really don't even think we need to sign an absolutely world class keeper this summer to see an improvement in our play. One who is just fairly commanding and decent with the ball at their feet will, I think, make a much bigger difference than many people realise.

Sylar

It goes through the six yard box and is headed by Wilson who is in the six yard box. So it goes over and in the six yard box so De Gea should go for it then?

It is an outswinger buts it's from such a deep position it never gets that far away from the goal and its never going to.

In similar situations more commanding GK will be a step of there line middle of six yard box bouncing hands quite high preparing to claim or Punch. Once they pick the flight of the ball up it's either back on line if it's deep or floating well away from them or if it's about to drop into the six yard box out they go.

De Gea starts on his line and his initial movement is actually backwards, then stationary on his line then takes a little side step to get in line with Wilson, hoping Wilson heads it straight at him like isak did earlier in the game. So he basically stands and watches as Wilson gets into position to have a free header at goal from 5 yards out.

100% guarantee Pope would claim it.
Added to this, from the position it was, its close to being like a corner. Its not whipped in with venomous pace, and with the position it ended up in, the argument would be, goalkeepers shouldnt come for corners that are outswinging that end up in the six yard box.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Saint maximin’s header wasn’t the most powerful - it was just in the right direction for a tap in. A Goalkeeper wouldn’t be rooted to the spot to get that.

It might look far for de gea, but that’s because he doesn’t start off his line.

Same for the 2nd goal.

A goalkeeper usually isn’t bang on his line refusing to come out.

Marwood

It's actually pathetic when you watch it back.

Newcastle force him to go that side with the simplest press setup, cuts off the chance of it going back to Martinez or Shaw who are better on the ball than Varane or Dalot.

That setup from there is also just a joke, Martinez playing that 2 yard pass to him and it ends up out for a throw. Not sure what ETH is trying to achieve with that setup other than to prove DDG just can't play from there.
Yeah agree. You can see the Newcastle forwards absolutely ready for that pass to De Gea. Ready to sprint the second Martizez passes it. Even if De Gea got his pass right and Varane did a bit better it was still silly play that at best would have ended with Varane launching it up the line.

Idxomer

Also changed set piece coaches, coaching staff and managers.
Yep, he has been the main constant for years now in our leaky defence.

One of the odd things about De Gea at United is he has never been the no.1 captain. A Keeper who has stayed at the same club for 12 years now and isn't the captain is something basically unheard of. He should be now like Lloris has been till the last year, the captain of his club and national team. He isn't because he lacks so many basics as a goalkeeper and doesn't have any leadership qualities on the pitch either. I don't get how the fans of the club that had Peter Schmeichel and VDS can stand a meek keeper like him for so many years.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He's not good enough, don't give him a new deal

Oranges038

Yeah agree. You can see the Newcastle forwards absolutely ready for that pass to De Gea. Ready to sprint the second Martizez passes it. Even if De Gea got his pass right and Varane did a bit better it was still silly play that at best would have ended with Varane launching it up the line.
Yeah, look it doesn't help when your midfielders are as ball shy as this lot are.

If you look at the video again, McT is 30 yards out and should be dropping in there to look for a pass off Varane. He's just standing ball watching, it's infuriating watching it, can't imagine what it's like playing with it.

RuudTom83

His form has dipped slightly...like a most of the squad tbh.

But with DDG the club have the chance to lower his wage and prepare for his successor...so if everyone uses some common sense the GK position can be evolved this summer with everyone benefiting!

ABC of Football

I am a huge fan of the lad, but if we want to go to the next level we need a new number 1 to at least compete with De Gea.

I am not even that fussed on the 'ball playing' part of being a goal keeper, but if we had a keeper who could command his area, and gather up crosses it would make a huge difference to the confidence of our defending.

Marwood

I don’t see us signing a keeper so with that in mind I'd keep him on reduced contract but bring Kovar back as genuine competition. Give him a proper chance.

Pickle85

Im not pulling people up on it, im challenging him. There is a huge difference. It would be like me saying 'all DDG defenders in here are just lovers of him and are deflecting blame on to others to defend his bad performances'
Nobody is saying that but if I make that statement, i would be rightly called out on it since I made the statement.

Sure you can stay out of it, you werent the one that made the initial statement (although its nice of you to stay out of it having involved yourself in it in the first place :lol:)
Again, random key phrases like point scoring, agendas, etc. Why are people taking this so personally?

Likewise, people cant defend DDG so just come in here and always point 'why are people piling on him all the time'. Dont you see the ridiculousness of it all from your own statements?
I'm staying out of the internet point scoring element of it, but happy to involve myself in the discussion.

Your final paragraph doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I think we've see numerous solid arguments 'defending' DDG, but given your lack of objectivity they clearly don't register with you.

Longshanks

No.
Sorry but they dont come out to out swinging balls that havent entered that 6 yard area thats been kept clear by their defenders. They only come out for the balls coming into that space. Thats why that particular tactical defensive setup is used. Its one of the fundamental basics of setting up defending for exactly those situations. The defenders line creates a space for the keeper to defend and their job is to defend that line and further out.
You wont find any other keepers coming off their line to an out swinging ball that is heading outside the 6 yard box in that situation. The reason is if they do come out and miss then there are no defenders on the line to cover for them and they have ended up well off their line if the ball drops back and gives an attacker a chance at a simple chip shot. Its all about that situations setup.
There are other situations where DDG hasnt come out when he should of.
My point is confirmation bias is meaning people are blaming him for everything and sometimes its simply not his fault. That goal was not his fault. The loss was not his fault.
Wake up
As if by magic Here is a prem GK coming out to claim an outswinging ball on the edge of his six yard box from this weekend.

Idxomer

As if by magic Here is a prem GK coming out to claim an outswinging ball on the edge of his six yard box from this weekend.

Pretty sure Raya's last action of the game was claiming a high ball and right away starting a counterattack with a great long pass. De Gea was wasting time against Southampton when he had the ball a couple of weeks back.

Based Adnan

If that's us either we win the header or the opposition get a chance. It's ridiculous when you think about it. No safety provided by the keeper whatsoever.

RVN1991

Its amazing looking at people desperate to justify wanting him gone. Confirmation bias is rampant in here.
Lets accept we need to move him on he was at no fault for either of our goals, especially the free kick for the second goal.
Anyone who has ever played or coached at even a semi decent level will see what has happened at that free kick.
The defensive line has been set up (as it should) along the 6 yard box. There is space between the defenders and DDG which is his space to claim the ball if it goes in there. The defenders are supposed to defend that ball coming across which they fail to. On top of that its an out swinging cross which a keeper in that situation is not supposed to follow. The argument that he was supposed to come out for that free kick is completely ignorant of the typical tactical and defensive indicators that situation points to. If the ball had been in swinging and gone into the space the defensive line created in the 6 yard box then DDG should have come for it.

So its time to move him on but seriously how about a little bit of intelligence when criticising his play in games. His positional play did not lead to any of their goals, his keeping decisions did not lead to any of their goals. We lost because of other factors. Hyperbolic accusations just get cringeworthy.
It's his fault that our backup midfielders can't string two passes together after all.

Mmm-Qatarian

Also notice the difference between Brentford defending this corner and us. There isn't a massive crowd around Raya, meaning they can cover the rest of the penalty area much more easily and giving the added benefit of making it more easy for them to close down the second ball.

Mmm-Qatarian

If that's us either we win the header or the opposition get a chance. It's ridiculous when you think about it. No safety provided by the keeper whatsoever.
This is exactly it. And even if we do win the header, we quite often have to have loads of men back frantically trying to win the second ball and get it clear.

The option that De Gea might just claim the cross and ease the pressure doesn't even cross peoples' minds, and that's frankly astounding to me given that he's the worlds highest paid goalkeeper.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
I think De Gea worst play that I've ever seen is in Emirates where he punched a ball with no opposition player near him at all. Even Varane was perplexed :D . Who can bring that clip?

The scale of pressure we were under that time, was extremely huge. Arsenal were camping in our box yet DDG did more harm than good.

About his pass to Varane yesterday, it was replica to what he gave Bissaka against Arsenal in Emirates.

Regarding our goalkeeping situation, I said it another thread, our problem is we have players who are very limited on alot of other issues to the point, it's like we need 2 players, or clones, to play 1 position.

Example. De Gea is so poor on the ball, that we need a Ederson De Gea Clone to be our goalkeeper.
A Bruno Odergaard clone.
A Bissaka Trent Clone.
Antony Pellistri Clone.

You remember how we use to joke McFred are doing one players job.. exactly that

All these players should be moved within 12-18 months. As Ralf said we need 10 new players.

Another 4 new faces (2023), will really help. Then another 3 new faces (2024) should change completely this lot of imposters.

It's sad how we have recruited in the previous years.

Priority this summer in order
Striker
2 midfielders
1 goalkeeper.

We need players who can hold on to the ball for more than 5 seconds when pressed and give a correct pass. You see how comfortable Licha is, that's the benchmark.

Try imagine we sign, a Licha clone goalkeeper, 2 Licha clone midfielders.

The team will be transformed immensely and immediately.

Sylar

The option that De Gea might just claim the cross and ease the pressure doesn't even cross peoples' minds, and that's frankly astounding to me given that he's the worlds highest paid goalkeeper.
Ive said before, our next keeper signing might end up no better than DDG, but people have been convinced that we should stick to what we have rather than trying to better and improve.
And yes, our replacement might not be better, but we shouldnt stop there. Weve seen it at city, arsenal, liverpool. The main keeper gets 'replaced'. Then if that one is not upto task, its improved upon / replaced (Hart > Bravo > Ederson, or Leno/Martinez >Ramsdale or Mignolet > Karius > Alisson)

ANd if you look at the keepers bought, nobody was thinking what world class players Ederson, Ramsdale or Alisson were when they were bought (despite some questioning the fees at the time for all of them).

And even if we end up with a Kepa situation, look at what Chelsea did, they went and got Mendy, and that helped solidify them that year where they won the CL.

Obviously all this becomes easier to deal with if we get our club situation sorted and those leeches go and a lot of the debt (if not all) is cleared. it means were not relying on loans/freebies etc.

Your final paragraph doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I think we've see numerous solid arguments 'defending' DDG, but given your lack of objectivity they clearly don't register with you.
The only thing ive been consistent with no matter what is that we should replace DDG (and I said this before ETH started)
Everything else has been based on performances. You either accept that or dont. Thats upto you.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
No I am not 100 % wrong. i coached this stuff for years and played a bit.
So let me take you through the principles involved.
Firstly its defending a freekick out wide which means the off side rule comes into play and enables defending teams to use their defenders to set a line. Exactly what we did. We set the line at the 6 yard line. That enables the defending team to make space for the keeper to defend. Anything isnde the 6 yard box is his responsibility. There are no bodies to fight through to get the ball which is why its his area.
The defenders on the 6 yard line defend the cross if its an out swinger, the goalkeeper if its an in swinger, which is exactly what happened.
The keeper does not come out for an out swinger because this takes him well off his line which means the goal is vulnerable if it drops to an attacker in the penalty box or outside it. If it was a corner there would be defenders on the goal line to cover the keeper heading out.
Very simple principles that have been worked out for decades.
Out swinging cross from a wide free kick is not the one keepers attack. In swinging yes. The only time DDG should go for the ball in that freekick is if its a poorly placed out swinger that comes over inside the 6 yard box or if its an in swinger.

He has to be on his line when the kick is taken because he doesnt know where the cross is going to be sent in until its in the air.
Basic fundamentals of defending.
You are so wrong. Saying as we are playing the "I've played this game" card, I have also played and coached as well as been a keeper most of my 44 years playing (I still play at 48 years of age). The wider a player is, the closer a keeper should be to back post (it's easier to fun forward than to back peddle). And if it's an outswinger, you should be off your line. Chances are the outswinger won't be inside your 6, but if it is, it's your area to defend. De Gea has to be out for that. If there is a lefty and a righty lined up, then you need to be a little more cautious. But yesterday there was just one person, so we knew it was going to swing out. De Gea should be off his line, not standing with his heels on the goal line. He should be prepared to come help his defense if he can. And for the free kick yesterday, it was totally his ball to claim. Same with the goal, and same with the one that he saved...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

Exactly...and that's because as soon as he sees the lefty leave it, he knows it's going to be an outswinger and he takes a step off his goal line. This is basic fundamentals of being a keeper but apparently "he played the game" and knows better :lol: :lol: :lol:

lex talionis

Only one player earned a rating above a 6 yesterday: De Gea. Whether 7 or 8 hardly matters. We would have been taken the slaughterhouse but for saves he made that most -- not all, but most, keepers cannot make.

I do not worship at the altar of xG but it is a useful stat to put into some kind of objective relief what we all witnessed yesterday:

Newcastle United 4.04 Manchester United 0.41, according to xG philosophy

We expect of our keeper to make saves, take command of the box, and distribute the ball well. There's some overlap in how all these qualities, if played to perfection, interact with each other. If a keeper, for example, takes command of the box and claims the cross and then brilliantly finds Rashford and Rashford scores, there's no save the keeper ever has to make in that sequence of play. But when a keeper is being barraged, as we were yesterday, he's the difference between a humble defeat and a Roman decimation.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Two random side notes:

1) Raya has stopped the second highest percentage of crosses into his penalty area in the league this season. Claiming crosses at approx three times the rate of De Gea, who is second lowest in the league behind Mark Travers.

2) Raya is relatively small for a goalkeeper at around 6ft tall. Aggression > size.

As for the general argument regarding De Gea, the key and indisputable fact is that by stopping fewer crosses than nearly everyone else in the league De Gea will inevitably concede chances and goals that others goalkeepers wouldn't. I don't see much point in getting into the weeds over whether yesterday's goals were or weren't among them, because if it wasn't them it was other goals in other games that also hurt us.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
opposing attackers know the deal. Bundle of nerves at the back

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Only one player earned a rating above a 6 yesterday: De Gea. Whether 7 or 8 hardly matters. We would have been taken the slaughterhouse but for saves he made that most -- not all, but most, keepers cannot make.

I do not worship at the altar of xG but it is a useful stat to put into some kind of objective relief what we all witnessed yesterday:

We expect of our keeper to make saves, take command of the box, and distribute the ball well. There's some overlap in how all these qualities, if played to perfection, interact with each other. If a keeper, for example, takes command of the box and claims the cross and then brilliantly finds Rashford and Rashford scores, there's no save the keeper ever has to make in that sequence of play. But when a keeper is being barraged, as we were yesterday, he's the difference between a humble defeat and a Roman decimation.
You are missing the point. Most keepers wouldn't have to make those saves because they would come off their line and punch it away or catch it. You are literally giving De Gea praise for being poor at the basics of his position. Anyone who gave De Gea higher than a 5 yesterday clearly don't understand the position and are making judgment solely on saves made and not over all play...

Longshanks

Nonsense the only save he made he deserves genuine credit for is the remarkable save from Joe linton. However that was caused by his complete inability to command his area much like the conceded goals. The double save was a poor parry straight back into a danger and huge slice of luck that somehow willock managed to put it straight at him while he was lay on the floor.

Newcastle missed chances but De Gea was most definitely not barraged.

There is no doubt that the overall team performance was poor yesterday and there was many issues, and De Gea was most definitely one of them.

JB7

It's funny how xG gets wheeled out to praise De Gea in games the opposition have a higher xG than goals scored , while people who have used PSxG as a metric to criticise De Gea are told it's all about the quality of finishing rather than the goalkeeping.

Sylar

Laying on the floor and having the ball kicked at you is defo an interesting one to use as an example of a save that ddg makes that most others won't :lol:

Mainoldo

I was watching Everton today. I seen Pickford save a 1on1.

I was astonished… this whole time I believed only DDG can save shots. All the other ball playing keepers are basically just sweepers in goal.

lex talionis

Nonsense the only save he made he deserves genuine credit for is the remarkable save from Joe linton. However that was caused by his complete inability to command his area much like the conceded goals. The double save was a poor parry straight back into a danger and huge slice of luck that somehow willock managed to put it straight at him while he was lay on the floor.

Newcastle missed chances but De Gea was most definitely not barraged.

There is no doubt that the overall team performance was poor yesterday and there was many issues, and De Gea was most definitely one of them.
There were two outstanding saves in the first half, and we're not going to count the "double save" as it must be acknowledged that the second shot went straight at De Gea.

We should have been down 2-0 at the half, but that was not the case but for De Gea.

No one here denies, correctly, that United were fortunate to be at 0-0 at HT. And no one denies that Newcastle battered us in both halves. The difference between being battered on the scoreboard 4-0 as opposed to what it was in the end, 2-0, was De Gea. And no, these were not routine saves that Ramsdale or anyone else in the PL or even the Championship could have made.

2-0 drops the same 3 points as 4-0, I'll grant you that. But going into HT the 3 points were still there for us to steal with a smash and grab away win.

Oranges038

There were two outstanding saves in the first half, and we're not going to count the "double save" as it must be acknowledged that the second shot went straight at De Gea.

We should have been down 2-0 at the half, but that was not the case but for De Gea.

No one here denies, correctly, that United were fortunate to be at 0-0 at HT. And no one denies that Newcastle battered us in both halves. The difference between being battered on the scoreboard 4-0 as opposed to what it was in the end, 2-0, was De Gea. And no, these were not routine saves that Ramsdale or anyone else in the PL or even the Championship could have made.

2-0 drops the same 3 points as 4-0, I'll grant you that. But going into HT the 3 points were still there for us to steal with a smash and grab away win.
Saw the game, watched the highlights.

What saves were those and do you have any replays?

Because I don't remember them at all, even on the double save they were both right at him. Wouldn't even class the first one of those as outstanding. Might have done well the hold it but he just palms it back into danger.

caid

I think hes pretty hopeless and it was a weak performance. Should be top of the list for replacement after striker.

CloneMC16

No comment
It's painful that opposition fans can see it, but some of our own can't. We're giving this man a new contract. For the life of me, I can't understand ETH wanting to stick with him.

If his only flaw was distribution, I might be able to understand. Even then, it would be still hard.

croadyman

I think hes pretty hopeless and it was a weak performance. Should be top of the list for replacement after striker.
Just look at Athletic article yesterday and that shows it's at most 4th on the priority list. I still have this gut feeling this gets pushed until next summer which I don't agree with

croadyman

I think De Gea worst play that I've ever seen is in Emirates where he punched a ball with no opposition player near him at all. Even Varane was perplexed :D . Who can bring that clip?

The scale of pressure we were under that time, was extremely huge. Arsenal were camping in our box yet DDG did more harm than good.

About his pass to Varane yesterday, it was replica to what he gave Bissaka against Arsenal in Emirates.

Regarding our goalkeeping situation, I said it another thread, our problem is we have players who are very limited on alot of other issues to the point, it's like we need 2 players, or clones, to play 1 position.

Example. De Gea is so poor on the ball, that we need a Ederson De Gea Clone to be our goalkeeper.
A Bruno Odergaard clone.
A Bissaka Trent Clone.
Antony Pellistri Clone.

You remember how we use to joke McFred are doing one players job.. exactly that

All these players should be moved within 12-18 months. As Ralf said we need 10 new players.

Another 4 new faces (2023), will really help. Then another 3 new faces (2024) should change completely this lot of imposters.

It's sad how we have recruited in the previous years.

Priority this summer in order
Striker
2 midfielders
1 goalkeeper.

We need players who can hold on to the ball for more than 5 seconds when pressed and give a correct pass. You see how comfortable Licha is, that's the benchmark.

Try imagine we sign, a Licha clone goalkeeper, 2 Licha clone midfielders.

The team will be transformed immensely and immediately.
Think those priorities are bang on,however fear that the club see things differently. Most likely because haven't got the budget to sign a new keeper with other things

Status
Not open for further replies.