Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
Played well today, give him credit-although i was shouting at the screen during the penalties "just get near one at least, that's all i ask" :lol:

Question for older fans but have we ever had a great penalty saving keeper at United? I never had Schmiechal as a great penalty stopper though he had a few charity shield wins on shoot outs and of course the Overmars spot kick in 99. VDS, again, good and probably the best we've had but not amazing.
Saving penalties is hard, it’s easier to psyche the opposition out and make them believe you’ll save one and have them kick it wide instead. De Gea doesn’t have anything about him that screams confidence or belief, he won’t even come for a corner.

All the best penalty savers have been gob shites or big personalities.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Good game from him, huge saves.

In the shootout, the first three penalties were practically unstoppable, really well taken. He does definitely favour going to his right though, and I assume every penalty taker knows it (6 out of 7 of Brighton's penalties went to De Gea's left, including the miss. He needs to mix it up.

Superunknown

Casemiro telling him to dance around a bit and distract takers. He's right. Given how shit de Gea is at them, he needs to pull out all the dark arts to give himself and advantage like Emi Martinez does.
Casemiro. :lol: :lol: :lol: Clearly auditioning for yet another Pinocchio adaptation.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Imagine if we played like this against City. The game will definitely not end 0-0 irrespective of how many saves he makes. We defended well but we conceded too much authority and City would crush us with that

OrcaFat

He was Dave!

Good saves.

Smashing every ball he received up the pitch even when he had easy options to the full backs.

There was one back pass from around the halfway line where Dave backed slowly away from it so that it trickled to a stop around the D. He then dithered about a bit and smashed it up the pitch. If he’d gone towards the pass he could have gained 20 yards and saved several seconds of Brighton organising their press etc.

Got nowhere near the pens. No surprise given his record over the last few years (two saves from fifty-odd pens - that’s him now).

Looked generally feeble in his post match interview.

Dave is Dave, that’s for sure.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He’ll be under a lot more pressure against city. His kicking is seriously frustrating to watch. Always goes out for a throw in. Or we lose possession. Never finds a team mate.

Sylar

We’ve reached a point where we’re having to play like a Big Sam team for 120 minutes in an FA cup semi final against a team that is 8th in the league because the manager has clearly lost all faith in De Gea’s ability to play any kind of football on the ground. Watching Brighton continually build from the back while we just hoofed it aimlessly forward everytime was painful. A few good saves do not make up for such a fundamental flaw in his game. It was torture watching him having to hoof pretty much every ball that came his way because he can’t be trusted to not give it away in a dangerous position if he tries anything else. This cannot be allowed to continue. He has to be replaced this summer if we have any ambitions of becoming a top team again.
However you can't be a top side and have a keeper who has to just lump it forward every time he has the ball because he can't be trusted with it. It was ok for today but it's in no way sustainable. It was brutal to watch.
It's gonna be a huge issue v City if we do the same thing because they will keep the ball for fun and crush us with possession and wear us down over time every time we give it back. We won't have a breather.

We will need rashford and casemiro 100% for it as a way to keep the ball to build our own momentum too.

Played well today, give him credit-although i was shouting at the screen during the penalties "just get near one at least, that's all i ask" :lol:

Question for older fans but have we ever had a great penalty saving keeper at United? I never had Schmiechal as a great penalty stopper though he had a few charity shield wins on shoot outs and of course the Overmars spot kick in 99. VDS, again, good and probably the best we've had but not amazing.
Bergkamp ;)
But yeah I think VDS with the CL final shootout win. Also the charity shield win V Chelsea too (he saved all three or they missed all three). I want to say Portsmouth charity shield game too? And some in game ones like the one v City.

VDS looked daunting in goal to get past. Apparently 1.98, compared to schmeichel who's 1.93 and ddg is only a cm shorter at 1.92m? I'm surprised as schmeichel again looked massive in goal compared to when you look at ddg in goal.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We would have lost without him today.
Why does it seem that some people feel other goalkeepers haven’t saved a shot in their life. DDG did well but it wasn’t anything extraordinary

Seij

Why does it seem that some people feel other goalkeepers haven’t saved a shot in their life. DDG did well but it wasn’t anything extraordinary
This drives me crazy. It's like they never watch other teams play, ever.

Eddy_JukeZ

If he stays here next season, forget ever controlling games.

Teams are starting to press us even more and De Gea can't be the GK if you're trying to play out from the back.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I've noticed that too.

"Take him out of the team and we lose today"... well yeah, it's hard to win a game without a goalkeeper.

Dr Foo

People will say he had a typical great game, by DDG standards. But compare him to Sanchez and we can see where the big problem lies - one enables the team to keep possession and control the game Vs one who has to kick it long even in acres of space (and we lose possession multiple times).

Zetrio2002

Great saves from De Gea! Finally saving the match and marching on to the final! Awesome!

Levenstein

People will say he had a typical great game, by DDG standards. But compare him to Sanchez and we can see where the big problem lies - one enables the team to keep possession and control the game Vs one who has to kick it long even in acres of space (and we lose possession multiple times).
We didn't even try to start from the back as a team. Clearly he had instructions to go long. I think we have to look at other players as well when we want to play from the back. I'm not saying De Gea is very suitable for that, but he definitely isn't the only problem. Look how City and Arsenal players drop quickly when their GK has the ball. We are too static and slow. At least we need Dalot, Varane, Martinez, Shaw, Casemiro on field for that.

arnie_ni

Sanchez kicking was awful as well. Punted it into touch mire than ddg

Fabio Rochemback

Am I the only one who though his reaction to the Mitoma chance was bizarre? I can't see why he didn't pick the ball up. If Mitoma didn't foul him Estupinian had an open goal

Levenstein

Am I the only one who though his reaction to the Mitoma chance was bizarre? I can't see why he didn't pick the ball up. If Mitoma didn't foul him Estupinian had an open goal
He is a little bit of a coward in situations like this. Sometimes you can react quicker with your feet than diving, so that might me the case. Or he was afraid of getting injured.

Last edited:

Lentwood

I've noticed that too.

"Take him out of the team and we lose today"... well yeah, it's hard to win a game without a goalkeeper.
I only saw the highlights as I was on a flight whilst the game was on but it' was DDG in a nutshell - made some fair/average saves that most GKs would make, looked rattled/shaky from crosses or when there was a chance he might be hurt (Mitoma chance) and we all know about his weaknesses in posession.

The funny thing is, the best save in the game was made by Sanchez from the deflected Rashford effort. Yet commentators and non-Utd fans love to push this narrative that we're this awful team who rely on the brilliance of our GK to get us through games. I'd argue it's the opposite. I think we are a very decent team with a very sub-par GK

Lyng

It seemed clear he was instructed to just sent it long every time and that was the correct call for this match.
He had a decent match but was his usual woeful self on the penalties.
Sanchez doesnt look like a real upgrade either.

Its clear we need to upgrade on Dave. But Sanchez isnt the answer in my opinion.

Hughes35

Thought he had a really good game. Some good saves and didn't make any mistakes................. My god he's weak at penalties though. Could cost us in the final.

Weirdly this was the performance that has convinced me we need a new keeper. Having a keeper so poor on penalties is a huge disadvantage when challenging for multiple trophies.

I'd love to see us get Martinez from Villa.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No. 99 keepers out of 100 come out to claim that ball with their hands.

Paradoxically his timidity there ended up getting himself hurt. No way does Mitoma go in for the ball that aggressively if a keeper was sliding across the ground to gather it with his hands. Seeing DDG come out with his feet turned it into a potential 50:50 it wouldn’t have otherwise been.

Oranges038

I only saw the highlights as I was on a flight whilst the game was on but it' was DDG in a nutshell - made some fair/average saves that most GKs would make, looked rattled/shaky from crosses or when there was a chance he might be hurt (Mitoma chance) and we all know about his weaknesses in posession.

The funny thing is, the best save in the game was made by Sanchez from the deflected Rashford effort. Yet commentators and non-Utd fans love to push this narrative that we're this awful team who rely on the brilliance of our GK to get us through games. I'd argue it's the opposite. I think we are a very decent team with a very sub-par GK
One thing annoys me most about these saves aside from being mostly camera saves and nothing special, is that he goes around looking for hand shakes and praise for doing it. Rather than just getting up and straight away cajoling and organising his defence for the incoming corner.

That second bit I also think is true, with his style and limitations he's really holding this team back.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Question for older fans but have we ever had a great penalty saving keeper at United?
Bailey's stats are excellent (40% save ratio) - but the sample size is small (15 pens total).

Anecdotally, I do seem to remember that he was known for it (meaning: he had a reputation for being good at it), but then some of that was probably based on that ridiculous match where he saved three pens (one being a re-take, but still)...and United lost 0-6.

He was involved in one shootout (UEFA Cup, 1985) which United lost (Bailey possibly saved one, though it could have gone wide for all I know/remember).

flappyjay

Thought he had a really good game. Some good saves and didn't make any mistakes................. My god he's weak at penalties though. Could cost us in the final.

Weirdly this was the performance that has convinced me we need a new keeper. Having a keeper so poor on penalties is a huge disadvantage when challenging for multiple trophies.

I'd love to see us get Martinez from Villa.
You got to be mentally strong for those. There was a point where the brighton players kept shooting to the right and he kept diving to the left, I think 3 times in a row. That showed he was losing the mental battle.

Gaidal

Decent game, some good saves, but nothing that out of the ordinary. Forces us to go long which means its hard for us to control games.

Goes to early on pens, and doesnt really go with any conviction.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
This drives me crazy. It's like they never watch other teams play, ever.
Maybe you should lighten up then. He did very well yesterday it's mad how much criticism he gets on here even when he plays well.

Yes we could do with an upgrade but he's not the no1 priority.

Idxomer

He went long because of his horror show on Thursday. Yesterday's hoof ball tactics when he had the ball are proof of why he should go asap. We can't keep changing tactics and playing like that against any half-decent team because of him.

norm87cro

Well it was 0 0 after 90 minutes because of him. He couldnt save a single penalty so Im really torn about everything this guy does in recent times.

norm87cro

Decent game, some good saves, but nothing that out of the ordinary. Forces us to go long which means its hard for us to control games.

Goes to early on pens, and doesnt really go with any conviction.
Nah mate the one that was going uder the bar was fast and nasty and a lot of GKs would have concieded that

Don't Kill Bill

No. 99 keepers out of 100 come out to claim that ball with their hands.

Paradoxically his timidity there ended up getting himself hurt. No way does Mitoma go in for the ball that aggressively if a keeper was sliding across the ground to gather it with his hands. Seeing DDG come out with his feet turned it into a potential 50:50 it wouldn’t have otherwise been.
I don't understand why Mitoma wasn't sent off. Its a two footed lunge , he doesn't get the ball , clearly hurts the keeper and he was already booked.

That said I was quite drunk by then and maybe I am mis remembering it.

Danny

Well it was 0 0 after 90 minutes because of him. He couldnt save a single penalty so Im really torn about everything this guy does in recent times.
Sanchez didn't save any, either. I agree it's a bad trait of his but he kept us in the game.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not to pile in with criticism but there was a shot from March (I think) where he was caught out holding on to the near post again, as he was when he conceded a bad goal earlier in the season. That's a weird bad habit I don't remember him having before he could really do with shaking.

Walter Sobchak

He's just not the one. The value of his handful of world-class saves each month is firmly countered by the fact that 75% of these saves are required due to situations that his own passive play has brought about. He is absolutely invisible on crosses and corners and it seems most of his reflex saves come after a cross has been knocked back across the box. It's been said to death but we don't need a keeper with his 'elite' shot-stopping if we have a keeper who can just come and claim a few crosses per game. It's the equivalent of a defender who just makes last ditch slide tackles all game to make up for their poor reading and positioning.

And that's purely command of his area, I don't think we even need to discuss his ability with the ball at his feet any further. So shoddy.

Like midfield and football in general, it's all about control, and Dave has none.

norm87cro

Sanchez didn't save any, either. I agree it's a bad trait of his but he kept us in the game.
Actually Sanchez had one great effort too but they were the better team all round. But given that they had a full week to rest their starting 11 and we played every 3-4 days during April with a depleted squad f... them

Status
Not open for further replies.