Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I don’t know why so many of our fans get sentimentally attached to players.
De Gea was great for us, but he isn’t anymore lets give him a graceful exit, thank him for his service and move on.

You can’t have your goalkeeper committing howlers every other game.
Our fans got fecking attached to a 6'6 oaf within 2 weeks because he sweats a lot and has a goofy smile. Most sentimental fanbase in the world outside of possibly Liverpool

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
What's the point of replacing him with some average keeper? At best we then have to replace an average keeper 12-24 months down the line, see no improvement at all and waste everyones time.
Yes that's how a stop-gap works. I don't think anybody wants Henderson as a long-term solution; the point some of us are making is that we're heavily FFP constrained this summer and therefore might have to wait another year before making a big GK signing.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Our fans got fecking attached to a 6'6 oaf within 2 weeks because he sweats a lot and has a goofy smile. Most sentimental fanbase in the world outside of possibly Liverpool
At least the Caf wised up to Wout pretty quickly though. The r/reddevils crowd largely still loves him and also pines for the days of Ole as our manager.

JagUTD

Yes that's how a stop-gap works. I don't think anybody wants Henderson as a long-term solution; the point some of us are making is that we're heavily FFP constrained this summer and therefore might have to wait another year before making a big GK signing.
United and stop gaps in recent years doesn't fill me with much confidence.

Born2Lose

Amazed we didn't look at Pope, for the fee involved. One of the bargain's of the season.

JagUTD

I've been pounding the table for David Raya for about 6 months now.
Don't see it myself.

In the Premier League, I look at genuinely attainable keepers are don't see anyone.

Granted I'm not watching every keepers week in week out, but I'm seeing enough and while I don't see how stats can define a player's quality over actually watching them, the stats really don't make anyone keeper jump out.

Most would agree Allison is probably the best keeper in the League. After that...it's a free for all. Someone like Ederson would almost certainly get crucified on just about every other side. He fits a system at City and it works, that system is exclusive to City

Ramsdale, Pickford, Pope are all the sort of keeper that would have been back up for us at our peak, like a Ben Foster, good but nothing special.

Just about every keeper has glaring weaknesses, for most it's playing out from the back and the few that can do it, are lacking in other areas.

Even abroad, the Porto keeper looks good, then has a shocker of a world cup.

Replacing a keeper in this market won't be easy imo and I'd not be surprised in the slightest if the same voices are back in a year or two complaining about the new guy...

Gazza

Manchester United’s first-choice goalkeeper is 32 and out of contract in about six weeks. There have been zero credible reports of any club being interested in signing him on a free transfer. Says a lot.

JagUTD

Manchester United’s first-choice goalkeeper is 32 and out of contract in about six weeks. There have been zero credible reports of any club being interested in signing him on a free transfer. Says a lot.
Probably because he will sign a new deal so any club would be wasting their time.

If he was genuinely available for free, even if he didn't have the very top clubs after him, he'd have a wide selection of options all across Europe.

Gazza

Probably because he will sign a new deal so any club would be wasting their time.

If he was genuinely available for free, even if he didn't have the very top clubs after him, he'd have a wide selection of options all across Europe.
Disagree. He reportedly wasn't happy with United's last contract offer because he still felt he should be paid like one of our best players (The Athletic) and I don't think many clubs in Europe would be interested in paying those kinds of wages for the player DDG is now.

Quite apart from that, there is usually speculation of some kind in the media w/r/t clubs wanting to sign a player whose contract is expiring. I have seen none of that.

Roux

He'll have alot of interest especially being a free agent - the only issues is his mammoth wages.

JagUTD

Disagree. He reportedly wasn't happy with United's last contract offer because he still felt he should be paid like one of our best players (The Athletic) and I don't think many clubs in Europe would be interested in paying those kinds of wages for the player DDG is now.

Quite apart from that, there is usually speculation of some kind in the media w/r/t clubs wanting to sign a player whose contract is expiring. I have seen none of that.
Disagree or not, if he was available for free he'd haveoffers coming in from all over the place.

That he isn't strongly suggests it's because he will be at United next season. Ten Hags comments also echo this. De Gea has also commented that he is relaxed about it and for now concentrating on the rest of the season.

The deal is probably there already. Being cynical if he is lowering his wages, he's probably just seeing it out of the higher wages.

Gazza

He'll have alot of interest especially being a free agent - the only issues is his mammoth wages.
So will he have a lot of interest or not? His wages are part of the deal, you can't just ignore them and say he'll get loads of interest. Again - he has already turned down United's first contract offer because it didn't meet his expectations, if we believe the Athletic.

I don't see any evidence whatsoever that he'll have a lot of interest. If I look at the Premier League, I don't see any clubs interested in De Gea. I can't speak for other top leagues in Europe.

Gazza

Disagree or not, if he was available for free he'd haveoffers coming in from all over the place.

That he isn't strongly suggests it's because he will be at United next season. Ten Hags comments also echo this. De Gea has also commented that he is relaxed about it and for now concentrating on the rest of the season.

The deal is probably there already. Being cynical if he is lowering his wages, he's probably just seeing it out of the higher wages.
Erm, okay then!

dogwithabone

Pickford is a bit of a knob but he’s as good as any and better than most. Distribution is very good too.

JagUTD

Erm, okay then!
Have a look around at the players who move on free transfers. If you think a goalkeeper who is currently leading the golden gloves in the Premier League despite being rubbish, wouldn't have suitors clamouring for his signature from all across Europe then I don't know mate, I really don't.

Gazza

Have a look around at the players who move on free transfers. If you think a goalkeeper who is currently leading the golden gloves in the Premier League despite being rubbish, wouldn't have suitors clamouring for his signature from all across Europe then I don't know mate, I really don't.
Perhaps you really don't :) I'm not interested in discussing when it's "Disagree all you want, but I'm right" so crack on, mate!

JagUTD

Perhaps you really don't :) I'm not interested in discussing when it's "Disagree all you want, but I'm right" so crack on, mate!
Well, do you think De Gea will be retiring this summer due to him not being able to find a club?

Idxomer

He won't find a club in Europe that gives him even half what he wants if the club do the right thing and release him.

JagUTD

No chance, not if he can stick around and get an improved contract deal with us.
Obviously he won't, but there seems to be this weird belief that even if De Gea left United, he wouldn't be in high demand.

He'd probably be able to command higher wages away from United due to being available for free, than he will of he signs a new deal, which I believe he will and at reduced terms.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I can see DdG learning how to sweeper keep but making quite a few high profile fek-ups in the process. I can also see him losing confidence and becoming a total liability. Could go either way. If someone better comes up and we have the money, being ruthless would be the thing to do. But he's not a lost cause.

Oranges038

Obviously he won't, but there seems to be this weird belief that even if De Gea left United, he wouldn't be in high demand.

He'd probably be able to command higher wages away from United due to being available for free, than he will of he signs a new deal, which I believe he will and at reduced terms.
Where?

What club that could afford to pay him silly money actually needs a keeper?

Zoid

If he does not extend his contract, he will go to a mid-table club from the top leagues for 100k or to Al-Nasr to Ronaldo.

JagUTD

Where?

What club that could afford to pay him silly money actually needs a keeper?
What's silly money? Nobody is paying his £375k, but £200-250k. Works out as £20-25m for 2 year contract. Hardly beyond the realms of possibility without a fee involved.

As for who, not really something you can just take a stab in the dark at is it? Probably not the very very top sides though certain clubs are in such turmoil behind the scenes that you never know what they might do. A level below those clubs though, De Gea becomes a marquee signing. A big name, brings attention and interest.

That said, he's staying at United so it's academic. I'm just making the point that he won't be short of suitors.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
I dont get him. One minute he’s world class, the next he’s the goal keeping equivalent of Harry Maguire. Baffling.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I can see DdG learning how to sweeper keep but making quite a few high profile fek-ups in the process. I can also see him losing confidence and becoming a total liability. Could go either way. If someone better comes up and we have the money, being ruthless would be the thing to do. But he's not a lost cause.
That ship has already sailed.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If your solution to De Gea is Henderson then should we be taking you seriously?

If you're going to replace him, you need to replace him with someone better and not just in areas that De Gea is weak at, but also in areas that are his strengths.

What's the point of replacing him with some average keeper? At best we then have to replace an average keeper 12-24 months down the line, see no improvement at all and waste everyones time.
You talk about De Gea as if he is still a decent GK. He is genuinely one of the worst in the entire league. Most teams have multiple superior goalkeepers, all of whom get more respect from opposing managers and are not targeted as our main weakness.

Irwin99

The sad thing is the club needs two goalkeepers if he's leaving and the reason he's played so much this season is because we don't trust our other goalkeepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.