Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

vanrooney

was all for him when he signed and he gave his best years in a time we were shit, but he has to go so we can move ahead. thats the business

CM

Wouldn’t be too gutted if we get a decent transfer fee for him from the Middle East.

He's out of contract, there won't be a transfer fee. Getting rid on a free is reward enough.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Wouldn’t be too gutted if we get a decent transfer fee for him from the Middle East.

Why are we so insanely reactive with squad planning?

This is so frustrating. Everything with us is in the moment. There's little to no forward planning.

Unam333

This is so frustrating. Everything with us is in the moment. There's little to no forward planning.
I think it's because of the takeover and the financial restraints. 100m budget is nothing these days.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
I think it's because of the takeover and the financial restraints. 100m budget is nothing these days.
Even then, we went into last season knowing DDG was entering his final year, on a large contract, and on the decline.

Sylar

Interesting to say ddg was loyal to us when he had previously agreed personal terms with another team and was happy to move, but denied.
And then was happy to sign an agreement to stay as his wages increased :)

Swedish_Plumber

If he hasn’t signed a new deal by now just feck him off and get preparing to prepare those bids for new goalkeepers. The lack of organisation this club has towards anything transfer/contract related is too much.

Chip

Interesting to say ddg was loyal to us when he had previously agreed personal terms with another team and was happy to move, but denied.
And then was happy to sign an agreement to stay as his wages increased :)
Yeah. People are quick to forget these things. Same with the Rooney saga.

Chief123

What’s worse is he’s our one and only option as a first choice goalkeeper good enough to play at the top level yet he could be walking away with us then needing to use £50+ million on a keeper when we only have A reported 120m budget to start with.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Club will get FLEECED for a new keeper now as everyone will know we absolutely need one.

Unless of course ETH has his eye on a loan deal for Danny Ward since ‘literally no one else is available for the money…’. :nervous:

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Club will get FLEECED for a new keeper now as everyone will know we absolutely need one.

Unless of course ETH has his eye on a loan deal for Danny Ward since ‘literally no one else is available for the money…’. :nervous:
Competent goalkeepers are a dime a dozen. The only way we'll get fleeced is if we set our sights on one specific keeper and go into negotiations without a backup plan.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Competent goalkeepers are a dime a dozen. The only way we'll get fleeced is if we set our sights on one specific keeper and go into negotiations without a backup plan.
DDG is a competent keeper, ETH obviously wants someone who can play out well and handle a press better. The issue here is that this is Man Utd, and OT can eat players up, and goalkeeper for Utd is a really high pressure position.

The risk of just throwing someone in there unproven at that level is they could just get swallowed up, and without a really solid back up like we’ve had in the past, it could get really sketchy.

Regarding the fee, we paid 90m for Antony mate… I can’t help but think that Utd desperately in need of a keeper will end up paying a much larger amount than is even usual for us.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
DDG is a competent keeper, ETH obviously wants someone who can play out well and handle a press better. The issue here is that this is Man Utd, and OT can eat players up, and goalkeeper for Utd is a really high pressure position.

The risk of just throwing someone in there unproven at that level is they could just get swallowed up, and without a really solid back up like we’ve had in the past, it could get really sketchy.

Regarding the fee, we paid 90m for Antony mate… I can’t help but think that Utd desperately in need of a keeper will end up paying a much larger amount than is even usual for us.
Yeah, given our track record negotiating transfers, we probably will

Tragically Hip

I've always defended him because at one time, he was one of the best in the world and he saved United's ass on so many occasions. It is clear though, that this is no longer the case, so it is time to go. I am fine with Henderson for a season if we have to use most of our transfer budget on a number one striker. DDG won the Golden Glove this season behind our top choice back four after all. How bad could Henderson be...

Majiek7777

Is he off? Imminent to Saudi to join CR7 and Benzema apparently

thanks DDG for serving well in our worst period in recent memory (that you contributed to because of your limitations). But not fit to lace Schmikes or VDS laces when you look back in history.

To the Costa thread!

red.knight

He really isn't. You can go look at the stats yourself, he's at best middle of the pack and among the lowest GKs in the league for many stats.
De Gea has always been an elite shot-stopper. He has better reflexes and is more agile. Nobody can beat his cat like reflexes. Stats don't lie sixteen clean seats Golden Glove winner playing in front of an inconsistent back four plus with Maguire and his three own goals it would be nineteen clean sheets. My biggest complaint and always has been is that David doesn't command his box. Peter and Edwin would wipe attackers out to clear danger but David is too timid and rooted on his line. 12 years overall he's been outstanding for United. That's my two cents.

Idxomer

De Gea has always been an elite shot-stopper. He has better reflexes and is more agile. Nobody can beat his cat like reflexes. Stats don't lie sixteen clean seats Golden Glove winner playing in front of an inconsistent back four plus with Maguire and his three own goals it would be nineteen clean sheets. My biggest complaint and always has been is that David doesn't command his box. Peter and Edwin would wipe attackers out to clear danger but David is too timid and rooted on his line. 12 years overall he's been outstanding for United. That's my two cents.
Isn't it only one own goal in the EL?

Anyway, clean sheets don't always have a lot with shot-stopping and that was the case last season.

AndySmith1990

Yep. Still figuring out whether De Gea will stay, still wondering whether Maguire will leave. Still deliberating on the Greenwood situation. Bet we still don't even know what we'll do with Amad next season because we don't know what we'll do with Greenwood. And we won't know what we're doing with Henderson because we don't know what's happening with De Gea.

All this shit should've been known before the season ended. We could've then been decisive on whether we wanted Kim, and been decisive on which keeper we wanted and now been in an advanced position to sign them

Von Mistelroum

I've always defended him because at one time, he was one of the best in the world and he saved United's ass on so many occasions. It is clear though, that this is no longer the case, so it is time to go. I am fine with Henderson for a season if we have to use most of our transfer budget on a number one striker. DDG won the Golden Glove this season behind our top choice back four after all. How bad could Henderson be...
I thought Henderson wasn't an option because he doesn't want to be here?

Dorris

What’s worse is he’s our one and only option as a first choice goalkeeper good enough to play at the top level yet he could be walking away with us then needing to use £50+ million on a keeper when we only have A reported 120m budget to start with.
He’s not even the best goalkeeper at the club. No one is paying money for him regardless of his contract situation.

KjaAnd

No, he used to be an excellent shot stopper. Both the eye test and the stats posted in this thread several times show that he isn’t anymore and hasn’t been for a few seasons. He’s done at this level.

CM

It's mad that we're in a situation where De Gea might leave and it isn't even by design. Telling him to get to feck should've been the most straightforward decision of the summer.

The White Pele

Interesting approach to this GK transition. We knew a year ago that De Gea was in his last year of contract and was earning way above benchmark whilst not reaching anywhere near elite GK performance levels. Meanwhile, Onana was available on a free, had worked with Ten Hag before and has a lot of the attributes we would like in a keeper.

Of course United just let it play out, just as we did the year before with Pogba and Lingard, rather than being proactive and on the front foot.

Swedish_Plumber

Interesting approach to this GK transition. We knew a year ago that De Gea was in his last year of contract and was earning way above benchmark whilst not reaching anywhere near elite GK performance levels. Meanwhile, Onana was available on a free, had worked with Ten Hag before and has a lot of the attributes we would like in a keeper.

Of course United just let it play out, just as we did the year before with Pogba and Lingard, rather than being proactive and on the front foot.
Zero planning. New owners have to get that right above anything else.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Didn’t we sign Jack Butland on a free not long after that? The lack of joined up thinking blows the mind.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I think we’ve always been looking for a goal keeper. We were happy keeping De Gea on a reduced wage heavily incentivised based on appearances but with zero guarantees he was the number 1 - that’s clearly flowery speak for backup. We’ve been heavily scouting Costa all season.

Marcus

I think we’ve always been looking for a goal keeper. We were happy keeping De Gea on a reduced wage heavily incentivised based on appearances but with zero guarantees he was the number 1 - that’s clearly flowery speak for backup. We’ve been heavily scouting Costa all season.
Yup. We are happy to risk De Gea leaving. Clearly.

Idxomer

Onana agreed to move to Inter while we were getting a sporting director out of his contract to be our interim manager. I highly doubt anyone at United was thinking about the goalkeeper situation and remember we also had Henderson sitting on the bench at a 100k/week contract in that period.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I thought Henderson wasn't an option because he doesn't want to be here?
If Henderson is told he'll be first choice I highly doubt he'll want to leave. He just has no interest whatsoever of spending another year sitting on the bench.

I'll be disappointed if Henderson is our #1 next season, but I'd still prefer it over De Gea. As I've pointed out before, literally the only time in the last five years where we've conceded less than a goal per game was the one time we dropped De Gea and Henderson was first choice.

Last edited:

red.knight

Isn't it only one own goal in the EL?

Anyway, clean sheets don't always have a lot with shot-stopping and that was the case last season.
I maybe wrong on the # of own goals lord Maguire has scored this season.

I agree about De Gea. He is not a good option anymore and United need new goal keeper, it is obvious

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
De Gea used to be an elite shot-stopper, probably one of the best in the history of the game. But 17/18 was the last season that he was at that level.

In the five years since he's declined massively. The amount of criticism he gets now isn't just because he's poor at everything else, it's because even the one thing he used to be elite at is now barely above average. Almost all decent keepers are able to pull off a few amazing saves a season, but if you also let in a similar amount of soft goals that you should have saved then you're shot-stopping is only average overall. And that's exactly what De Gea has been like for the last five seasons (bar a brief swan song in the first half of 21/22). Some great saves (although nowhere near as many as he used to make) but also some poor goals conceded.

led_scholes

Zero planning. New owners have to get that right above anything else.
DDG decline was obvious for 4 years now. We even tried to make the transition with Henderson 3(!) years ago. We had almost 3 years time of planning to bring a new gk and yet we failed (in the meantime we could have sold Henderson when his stocks were high and of course Romero who we didn't even register and yet we refused to sell).

red.knight

No, he used to be an excellent shot stopper. Both the eye test and the stats posted in this thread several times show that he isn’t anymore and hasn’t been for a few seasons. He’s done at this level.
We have to agree to disagree then. De Gea saved Utd many times this season and I doubt we would win the trophy or finish in the top four without his saves. But to move forward we now need a sweeper keeper comfortable with the ball at his feet who can play out from the back in order to advance ETH plans.

Eric_the_Red99

That’s exactly it. For a decade now we’ve been a club that things happen to, rather than one that makes things happen. It’s just been total passivity, complacency and procrastination - always taking the path of least resistance and constantly kicking the can down the road, simply in the hope that something will eventually come up to help us.

The DDG saga is the prime example of that. A well-run club would have at least made a start on solving the problem years ago.

-Supreme-

Just be thankful that we would most probably have extended De Gea’s contract by another 3-4 years at £365k a week if ETH didn’t join last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.