Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric_the_Red99

Recency bias is such a wonderful thing.
I’d say it absolutely is when we’re talking about the future of a player who is clearly past his peak. Keeping him based on how well he played years ago would just be sentimentality.

And with De Gea, his decline isn’t even that recent. It was already clear when his contract was last renewed, when he was given the ridiculously inflated wage he’s currently on (hopefully it will be reduced to zero pounds a week soon enough).

sifi36

We have to agree to disagree then. De Gea saved Utd many times this season and I doubt we would win the trophy or finish in the top four without his saves. But to move forward we now need a sweeper keeper comfortable with the ball at his feet who can play out from the back in order to advance ETH plans.
This perception really puzzles me. It was the case in seasons gone by (17/18 and prior) but it hasn’t been the case for a few years.

We have faced 3.57 shots on target per game this season and conceded 43 goals, resulting in a save percentage of 71% - average for a premier league goalkeeper.

We have conceded 43 goals from 41.3 post-shot xG. This is a measure of how many goals an average goalkeeper would have conceded based on the quality of shots faced.

There isn’t a single metric that supports De Gea being an elite shot-stopper anymore, there used to be, but there haven’t been for five seasons now.

Bazunu got a save of the month award despite being the worst keeper in the league. All keepers can pull out the odd wonder save. Do you think any other keeper would just concede every shot we face?

Shot-stopping is about consistency (see Van Der Sar), not the odd superman save interspersed between howlers. Unfortunately, this is where we are with De Gea now (it didn’t used to be the case) and combined with his horrific shot prevention and mediocre ball-playing, he’s now a serious impediment to us progressing to the next level.

quadrant

We have to agree to disagree then. De Gea saved Utd many times this season and I doubt we would win the trophy or finish in the top four without his saves. But to move forward we now need a sweeper keeper comfortable with the ball at his feet who can play out from the back in order to advance ETH plans.
Given that every shot on target would be a goal if the keeper didn't save it, then every keeper saves their teams many times a season, even the worst keepers around. So that's no sort of analysis at all.

What matters is how good a keeper is compared to other keepers. There really isn't anything out there to suggest De Gea is top tier. He's had one ok season in the last five.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Last year was way better than his worst season or 2 a few years ago, but there were some absolutely horrible mistakes in there still.

You just can't see us releasing him for free though. Not when we'd need to spend 40-50m on a replacement.
As always with us, everyone else can smell the desperation and they'll add to the fee required.

hobbers

It's ridiculous at this stage he's probably holding up our entire transfer window, knowing how shoddily we operate.

Cant seriously pursue any signings because we dont know if we're going to need to spend £50m+ on Onana or Diogo Costa. And we wont know that until De Gea's future is resolved, which might take weeks or months. Obviously at a well run club it would have been resolved months ago when he refused to sign a fair extension that reflected his reduction in value.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It's ridiculous at this stage he's probably holding up our entire transfer window, knowing how shoddily we operate.

Cant seriously pursue any signings because we dont know if we're going to need to spend £50m+ on Onana or Diogo Costa. And we wont know that until De Gea's future is resolved, which might take weeks or months. Obviously at a well run club it would have been resolved months ago when he refused to sign a fair extension that reflected his reduction in value.
Pretty sure we already know

His contract runs out in 2 weeks. He’s not our problem past the 30th June.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think the only way the club has certainty right now is in the case that he's definitely leaving.
And the club know this by now either way whether we do or not

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Crazy that we didn't start identifying and approaching potential replacements a year ago when DDG entered the final year of his contract. It was only going to end one way.

Of course, if we were well-run we would've replaced him years ago, but that's beside the point.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Onana agreed to move to Inter while we were getting a sporting director out of his contract to be our interim manager. I highly doubt anyone at United was thinking about the goalkeeper situation and remember we also had Henderson sitting on the bench at a 100k/week contract in that period.
Rangnick also didn't see a issue with De Gea and mentioned that in a press conference.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Rangnick also didn't see a issue with De Gea and mentioned that in a press conference.
An interim manager's opinion probably shouldn't be given much weight when planning a squad for the long term though.

arnie_ni

If he’s bolting, thanks for the memories…

Absolute shame he's only won 1 pl. He was the best shot stopper in the world for a good few years. Football just moved on and he hasn't came with it unfortunately

Adnan

Talent Spotter
An interim manager's opinion probably shouldn't be given much weight when planning a squad for the long term though.
No it shouldn't hence a new keeper will be bought like i've been saying for sometime now, contrary to what has been reported.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah I think you're right, it feels inevitable at this point
I said a while ago that he was in trouble due to the arrival of ten Hag who wants to initiate attacks from the back. And that's a new concept in the EPL but the concept itself isn't new or modern, but the concept has taken a firm grip in the EPL now with more and more teams adopting the positional play principles which first appeared under Rinus Michels in the early 70s.

Seij

Do you think any other keeper would just concede every shot we face?
Yes, absolutely. Ddg is the difference between United being where we are and fighting relegation with the likes of Everton.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I’d say it absolutely is when we’re talking about the future of a player who is clearly past his peak. Keeping him based on how well he played years ago would just be sentimentality.

And with De Gea, his decline isn’t even that recent. It was already clear when his contract was last renewed, when he was given the ridiculously inflated wage he’s currently on (hopefully it will be reduced to zero pounds a week soon enough).
I don't have a problem with moving players on whoever they are if they are past it. I also don't want to see Eriksen in the first XI next season either, great as a bench option though.

I'm just referring to the disrespect that De Gea is getting as if he's some washed up bum. The guy's been here a decade, saved United so many times and received many personal accolades during his time here even as recent as this season. Move the player on but do it with respect.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
I don't have a problem with moving players on whoever they are if they are past it. I also don't want to see Eriksen in the first XI next season either, great as a bench option though.

I'm just referring to the disrespect that De Gea is getting as if he's some washed up bum. The guy's been here a decade, saved United so many times and received many personal accolades during his time here even as recent as this season. Move the player on but do it with respect.
Can it be done with respect but quicker? Some of us are waiting to sign a GK. Just do it the Micky Goldmill way - call him a washed up bum, give his locker to some else and put his stuff on a peg.

Longshanks

There is no time for sentimentality in top level football. That's why we are where we are.

De Gea at his best was an outstanding shot stopper but he hasn't been at his best for at least 5 years now. He is know inconsistent at his best trait shot stopping. Sometimes still brilliant, mostly average, occasionally diabolical.

Even when his shot stopping was outstanding the rest of his game was questionable, but his highlight reel worthy saves masked it well.

Not anymore though.

In terms of showing respect? Respect for what exactly? Underperforming for 5 years while being the highest paid GK in the world? Throwing a hissy fit when he got dropped and going to SAF to get re-instated? Or being a constant in numerous under performing defences over the years?

I don't think he has ever really 'saved our asses' I think at times he performed very well in shot stopping to mask his other glaring flaws often behind chaos that his glaring flaws played a part in creating in the first place.

NLunited

He‘s been on a decline so we need to replace him if we are serious about competing.

sifi36

You talk about disrespect, it’s not like he’s been subject to indentured servitude. He’s been paid near enough £100 million over the last five years, during most of which his performances have been mediocre.

Give him his testimonial, but let’s not act like his time here has been perfect now that he’s on his way out of the door.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
He is under contract, so he has no choice ultimately. Plus, with De Gea gone, he'd be the number one.
If you make Hendo the number one, the first thing he’ll want is a new contract comparable to DDG at least. Is that what United want? As his transfer to Forest is all but done, clearly this is not what United want.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If you make Hendo the number one, the first thing he’ll want is a new contract comparable to DDG at least. Is that what United want? As his transfer to Forest is all but done, clearly this is not what United want.
Huh? Why would he expect that?

He'd be #1 for a year. If he does well enough in that year that he is our long-term #1 then he would certainly ask for a higher wage (but nowhere near what De Gea is on), but if we then go out and sign someone else to be #1 then Henderson would demand a transfer. At which point he'd have been in the shop window at the top level for 12 months, and (unless he was downright bad for us) he'd probably be in a better position to get a higher placed club and higher wage than what he's likely getting offered with Forest.

As you said though, it's highly unlikely that's the path the club is going to take.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No it doesn't work like that. The moment Rashford and Martial became first choice, they didn't sign a contract with Sanchez wages.

Jurgen Plopp

Henderson has been at the club 8 years, so i asume that makes him a legend?

As has been said over and over again - the only time United have conceeded less than a goal a game is when Henderson played a third of the season 2 years ago after Degea was dropped (started letting goals in when we were top of the league when the pressure was on). Degea has not equaled this over his last 5 years, though Henderson also only let in 33 goals in 36 games (less than one per game) during his year long loan at Sheffield where Ramsdale was his number 2.

Ten Hag tried to loan Hendserson for Ajax 18 months ago, but we would not release him and he warmed our bench another 6 months - so we know for sure Ten Had rates him. (Onana had 6 months left at Ajax, at the time, and it was expected he would leave - which he actually did)

With Degeas wages we can sign a player for £60 million on £150,000 per week costing us Zero over 5 years under amortisation - again this has been said many times - ie Hojland for free.

Im not sure if Degea is actually a legend of our club or not but in his possible final year he has now created great fondness in the Liverpool and Man City fanbases.
Letting in all 7 shots on target for Liverpool and not making one save for Liverpools historical 7-0 win, and for letting in his 2nd pea-roller of the Month (after West Ham) to secure Citys march to the treble. Degea certainly has a hand in making history, but clearly Davids golden glove will remembered long, long after these trivial events.

When/if Degea leaves Ten Hag should offer Henderson the same chance Degea had, 1 year to prove he can be our number 1 and Save us £375,000 a week. He been waiting 8 years for his chance as a United player. (Or, sell Henderson and get a top Keeper if that is what Ten Hag chooses).

edgecutter

When other club's fans want de gea to remain at united, you know you have a problem.

Licha M

The best business we can do this summer (other than a striker) is to let him walk, free ourselves of his ridiculous £375,000 a week wages and replace him with someone not so fecking meek.

We need to be balls deep in Onana.

crossy1686

career ending
He’s mad if he turns down the Saudi money. Best for everyone at this point in his career that he takes the money and goes into semi retirement. He won’t be happy sat on the bench, we won’t be happy if he’s playing and he won’t take a step down for less pay at this point.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
No it doesn't work like that. The moment Rashford and Martial became first choice, they didn't sign a contract with Sanchez wages.
Huh? Why would he expect that?

He'd be #1 for a year. If he does well enough in that year that he is our long-term #1 then he would certainly ask for a higher wage (but nowhere near what De Gea is on), but if we then go out and sign someone else to be #1 then Henderson would demand a transfer. At which point he'd have been in the shop window at the top level for 12 months, and (unless he was downright bad for us) he'd probably be in a better position to get a higher placed club and higher wage than what he's likely getting offered with Forest.

As you said though, it's highly unlikely that's the path the club is going to take.
It makes financial sense for both parties. Giving him a better contract is costs you less money then losing a potential £25m transfer fee next season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It makes financial sense for both parties. Giving him a better contract is costs you less money then losing a potential £25m transfer fee next season.
It won't make sense for ManUtd to offer 300k + wages to Henderson.

Ofcourse sensible thing to do is sell Henderson and buy new GK. I hope we don't mess up the transfer.

gajender

What are you on about Henderson has (2+1) years on his contract .

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Henderson is already paid higher than over half the keepers in the league, and has a couple years left on his contract. It's not like he's on some tiny contract.

Any new keeper we bring in likely won't be on much more than what Henderson is already on.

Red00012

If we did lose DDG could we just put Henderson as number 1 and get a replacement next summer when the shitshow of a takeover is sorted? Or did Henderson burn too many bridges with the interview last summer.

ThanksBoss26

If we did lose DDG could we just put Henderson as number 1 and get a replacement next summer when the shitshow of a takeover is sorted? Or did Henderson burn too many bridges with the interview last summer.
Not just that, there was also many a rumour (and of course we don't know if true or not) that he was amongst those leaking info from within the dressing room. IF that was the case, then his race here is surely run.

He was majorly peed off with the club, presumably not much has changed on that front. If that's the case, he's probably pushing behind the scenes himself to get to Forest permanently.

Given a straight choice, I'd rather have him in goal for us than the current version of De Gea. But also can't help but feel a clean break and a permanent transfer to Forest is the best option for all concerned at the moment.

Marcus

If DDG is getting offered 2nd choice wages, I think he will go to Saudi Arabia.

Red00012

If DDG is getting offered 2nd choice wages, I think he will go to Saudi Arabia.
My own opinion is that he’ll sign. It kind of shows what a feck up we’ve done with his salary that no one bar the Saudi’s are interested

Status
Not open for further replies.