David De Gea | Free agent | Said his goodbyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Regardless of whether we are letting him go or signing him up to a new deal I really want us to give him a testimonial.

It’s time we started to treat our servants with the respect they’ve earned.
Absolutely this. What happened on contract shouldn't be having any bearing on his service he gave us. He was one of the best GK for about 3 seasons and that was during our bad days.
Hope we handle this on priority and carefully.

LARulz

What's the source for this - it would be highly surprising for any club to renege on an agreed deal for any player without something major happening?

If you mean the club offered him a deal and he then didn't accept and wanted to think on it, then the club withdrew, I think that's fine.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/david-degea-manutd-contract-deal-30334171

Of course can question the source but that's where that came from (for me, I've seen it posted elsewhere too like the usual lot of Mail, Sun, ESPN etc.)

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Eh? It's literally the stat that an award is given out for at the end of the season?! :lol:
Yes. That doesn't mean it's the main stat that's used to gauge a keeper's performances, ability, or potential. I don't think any scouting or analytics team cares that much about clean sheets; plenty of other more important metrics.

Rusholme Ruffian

Yes. That doesn't mean it's the main stat that's used to gauge a keeper's performances, ability, or potential. I don't think any scouting or analytics team cares that much about clean sheets; plenty of other more important metrics.
You are taking this very seriously aren't you? The comment I was replying to said that 'All the stats show that this year in PL, he was at best an average keeper' . I was just pointing out that in fact the one stat that actually ends up in a trophy for a goalkeeper at the end of each season De Gea actually won. So you can stick your laughing smiley up your arse :lol:

And no, I don't think that winning the golden gloves means that he was the best goalie in the league, but as far as stats go it's weird to completely ignore the very one that the footballing authorities choose to give an award for.

mctrials23

Clean sheets are more indicative of a good defence than goalkeeper. Especially over the course of a season.
Goalkeeping stats in general are quite hard to quantify. Alisson for example makes a lot of saves look easy or makes the striker look poor but its almost entirely his positioning and timing when he comes out to meet the attacker.

tomaldinho1

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/david-degea-manutd-contract-deal-30334171

Of course can question the source but that's where that came from (for me, I've seen it posted elsewhere too like the usual lot of Mail, Sun, ESPN etc.)
No surprises I am very dubious of those sources. Looking around this alls stems from a random Athletic article which offers zero proof or quotes or sources.

United have been a bit of a shoddily run business in some aspects but I doubt this is true.

dinostar77

Regardless of whether we are letting him go or signing him up to a new deal I really want us to give him a testimonial.

It’s time we started to treat our servants with the respect they’ve earned.
BBC football reported that if de gea does leave Utd want him to return for a proper send off, im thinking a testimonial. It would be deserved.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
There was never a fax machine. Somebody started that rumor as a joke and it spread like wildfire. At this point it's probably one of the biggest myths in football history.

Castia

I’m expecting a joint statement tomorrow confirming his exit with lots of praise and probably a promise at a future testimonial

lex talionis

Varane was on the bench 6 times this season in the PL we won 5 of them .conceded 3 in those 6 games. But carry on DDG had nothing to do with the golden glove.
Some posters here with the memory only of our past couple of games .
We have a fanbase with the memory of a goldfish. The witch hunt on De Gea is a disgrace but it what is and nothing will change that. There should be no expectation that our new keeper, whoever he may be, will be held to the same standards as De Gea was held to.

DickDastardly

A loyal servant. Not a blip on his United career, attitude wise.

Deserves a proper sending at least.

Time for him to leave, could have been dealt with better, water under the bridge.

OverratedOpinion

Will never forget the stretch of around 24 months where he was probably the best shot stopper to ever play the game.

If he is going it is probably at the right time and if reports are to be believed then it's a shame it probably wasn't handled brilliantly.

Ibi Dreams

The fax machine story was a myth? Really??
It wasn't a fax machine but the gist of the story is probably accurate. The sale was agreed but documents weren't sent and/or received in time, so it couldn't be finalised. 8 years later we still have De Gea, or maybe not now?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You are taking this very seriously aren't you? The comment I was replying to said that 'All the stats show that this year in PL, he was at best an average keeper' . I was just pointing out that in fact the one stat that actually ends up in a trophy for a goalkeeper at the end of each season De Gea actually won. So you can stick your laughing smiley up your arse :lol:

And no, I don't think that winning the golden gloves means that he was the best goalie in the league, but as far as stats go it's weird to completely ignore the very one that the footballing authorities choose to give an award for.
From a statistical POV it's not. But the people who decided that's an award we give goalkeepers weren't strong on statistics.

croadyman

Will never forget the stretch of around 24 months where he was probably the best shot stopper to ever play the game.

If he is going it is probably at the right time and if reports are to be believed then it's a shame it probably wasn't handled brilliantly.
Yeah it definitely should have been handled better

Big Ben Foster

Supports
The fax machine story was a myth? Really??
Yes. All transfers since 2010 are done via electronic upload through FIFA's Transfer Matching System (TMS). Real failed to upload their required documentation in time.

RVN1991

Mate, it was your echo chamber comparing him to Schmeichel, not the rest of us, he’s not fit to be in the same conversation as him or Van Der Sar for that matter.

People keep bringing up this player of the season award, it means nothing to a goalkeeper. It means that everyone else was shit and he had to do his job and make saves, that’s it.

I hope he goes somewhere else and is successful, I hope he’s happy with whatever he decides to do but he’s on borrowed time here, and let’s put it this way, Fergie would have booted him out years ago.
5X PFA team of the year, 1X FIFPRO world 11 btw, but don't let the facts get in the way of another brain dead post.

At least you're not embarrassing yourself salivating over a post on a parody account this time. Progress!

Marcus

He has been a great servant of the club and we must appreciate how he has prevented the club from finishing in an even worse state. But now times have changed and we have a progressive manager who is willing to play attacking (not solely counter-attacking) football. I think he will move on as will United.

Paul778

Completely agree. Until we shake up our recruitment and get a DoF that actually understands football and isn't just learning on the job this will keep happening. We hire a manager who plays progressive football and yet the recuitment/contracts arm of the club are not on the same page.

Although it was a mess it's the right decision. Want a personality in goal who can dominate. Ideally with that and furrher continual improvements to our back line (bye bye Harry) our keepers main role will become sweeper starting attacks

stoinz

If the story is true, this is not how we should treat him or any other players who gave their best to us. Whoever did this needs to be sack.

crossy1686

career ending
3 or 4 exceptional seasons is pretty impressive. Shows the level he was at one point. Most players never have an exceptional season let alone 3.
You can't have 3 good seasons then phone in the next 9. That kind of performance gets you sacked anywhere else but United.

Eddy_JukeZ

People citing clean sheets as evidence for a GK performing well have to be taking the piss right?

I think De Gea's been a very good player for us, but he should have been binned 3-4 years ago.

We need to get way better at letting players go when their decline truly sets in.

DavelinaJolie

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this was the preferred outcome all along. As little faith as I put in twitter stuff De Gea's twitter post made me wonder if he already had something in motion and the rest of the noise around this was just nonsense.

crossy1686

career ending
5X PFA team of the year, 1X FIFPRO world 11 btw, but don't let the facts get in the way of another brain dead post.

At least you're not embarrassing yourself salivating over a post on a parody account this time. Progress!
Great, how does any of this help us going into next season? Last appearance was what? 2015? Insane that you think 8 years of nothingness since then is a good thing, but then again, looking at the way you post, you seem to have some serious anger issues or don't interact much with people outside of the internet so carry on, won't be long before you're banned.

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Amazing how deluded people were to think he will stay at United as first choice keeper for next season, when he will get trouble to find a good EPL club interested in him. Some people in De Gea performance thread made proper fools of themselves quoting some dodgy sources and picking stats that put De Gea in good light - despite all the other evidence pointing at the opposite conclusion.

It's always a shame if a long servant leaves the club without proper goodbye and "closure", but I'm actually very happy the club pulled the plug on this one.

Woodzy

A goalkeeper can earn a clean sheet without even having to make a save. It’s absolutely not a great metric of how good a goalkeeper is, especially in the top teams with the better defences.

Kag

I really want him to leave to the point that him being between the sticks for another season will completely extinguish any hope I have for the season ahead.

I want to stop hating the fact he plays for us, and rather reflect more fondly on the genuinely brilliant goalkeeper he used to be. I can’t take another season of him.

luckypepper

I really want him to leave to the point that him being between the sticks for another season will completely extinguish any hope I have for the season ahead.

I want to stop hating the fact he plays for us, and rather reflect more fondly on the genuinely brilliant goalkeeper he used to be. I can’t take another season of him.
This is something which will ache for a little bit, not on the fact that he needs to go but that he definitely deserves a send off for years of service and being the only shining light in some really dark and gloomy years. My memory won't be tainted by the blunders (which became more common in the last few years) and I'll remember the last gasp saves when the ball was destined for the top corner. But well, life ain't perfect and only few get to go on their terms in front of a rapturous home crowd. Hope he does get a testimonial and can still grab a spot at a decent European club this summer if he does end up leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.