David de Gea has left Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief123

He’ll finally get the move he wanted. Happy for him.

He’s an amazing back up option when your main player suddenly gets a bad injury. Madrid probably can’t believe their luck.

Chief123

His reputation in Spain is worse than in England. I can't see Real dipping their toes into the de Gea experience now.
There’s not a whole load of alternatives. Having one of the best shot stoppers in the world is a decent back up option.

Rossa

He’s far closer to the very worst keepers in the league (if we consider Bazunu an outlier, who had an absolute nightmare, which is depressing for Ireland fans!) then he is to the best.

12-13 goals worse than all the top three, only 5 better than the second worst. Which is broadly consistent with what his harshest critics were saying.
Not sure I agree or trust those stats too much, tbf. There are glaring weaknesses to his game - commanding the box and playing out from the back. He's also made some howlers this year. However, watching him play game after game, he's obviously above average as a shot stopper. I find it very hard to wrestle my eyes too hard with that one. He still regularly pulls out some brilliant saves. When he makes those saves from headers, everyone goes of course he should save it, it's straight to him. However, there have been some analysis that his foot work in getting into that position is world class, so his saves are actually downplayed by stats because they cannot take his anticipation into account.

So yeah, DDG isn't as good as he once was, and the glaring limitations to his game is reason enough to replace him. I don't trust stats saying he's an average, or certainly not below average, shot stopper - watching him just doesn't paint that picture. That being said, he's made some absolute howlers in the last seasons.

Cloud7

The promised transfer to Madrid, only a decade later. Would be a fitting next story arc for him

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Hope he gets it he's given us his best years and always behaved even when his dream move didn't come off.

Kag

I was desperate for us to replace De Gea and that will be justified, but when your keeper does his ACL the weekend before the season starts then you can do a lot worse than bring in a goalkeeper of his experience.

His distribution issues might not be as pronounced over in Spain, although I could be way off there.

izec

They are too big for him. The Bernabeu will chew him and spit him out.

It is his chance to prove it, but he will fail. Like with Spain NT.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Id be delighted for him. Wonderful servant to our club. Was moved on at the right time. Well, maybe a season too late, but he deserves nothing but gratitude and respect from United fans. So I hope he does really well and enjoys himself.

That’s the sentimental part of my post. Now for the dispassionate, objective part……

He’ll crumble under the pressure of the Bernabeu. He’s not the player he once was. That is glaringly obvious, even to his most ardent fans. And of all the places to go, Madrid is the least forgiving and with the most spotlight. I fear he will get crushed by the experience. I desperately hope not. But I worry for him.

Milo2035

People actually want him to move to Madrid ??? C'mon he would have to see a therapist after the first game. Let the man retire in peace or move to Arab to double his wealth.

hobbers

Be an immense pressure cooker situation for him but surely if they offer he has to take it.

Nori-

Thank god the world no longer use fax machines.

De Gea might actually get the deal done this time. He massively deserves it, top professional.

Eric_the_Red99

Excellent, it’ll make Madrid weaker in the Champions League.
If we draw them we just need to tell Hojlund to glance in DDG’s direction whenever he has the ball at his feet —> ball kicked straight out of play, United throw-in deep in Madrid territory :D

youngrell

Would be very happy for Dave if this comes off. And for such short notice, Madrid could do a lot worse I'm sure.

We need an rvn

Can't see it going well but better than going Saudi Arabia
He’ll be a backup when courtois comes back and on probably less money than we were offering him, but he’s moved back home to Spain, which I’m sure him and his wife are very happy about, and will win a few medals.

glad he didn’t sell his soul to the Saudi league and best of luck to him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would be a pretty ridiculous turn of events if he joins Madrid. But would be happy for him. Way higher level than I would've expected.

tomaldinho1

Stars have aligned for him. Hope he does well there, unless we play them in which case I wish him howler after howler.

dinostar77

He’ll finally get the move he wanted. Happy for him.

He’s an amazing back up option when your main player suddenly gets a bad injury. Madrid probably can’t believe their luck.
Hope this happens for him. Hes wanted madrid so badly.

Idxomer

Isn't he just on a shortlist? They are likely to try for Kepa on loan first.

Djemba-Djemba

I think he'd struggle at Madrid.

He tends to wilt in the big games and when he's under pressure and I can just see his nerves getting the better of him if he goes there.

Status
Not open for further replies.