David de Gea has left Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediSith

Instead of signing a back up keeper for £10m can’t we resign De Gea as number 2, he’ll get lots of games. Then spend the money on a CB or LB or CDM.

We currently have CDM needed.
LB’s injured
Varane injured

If ETH wasn’t our manager I’d give already. But part of me think him doing genius things that work like playing Shaw at CB is what is making the board not spend. A victim of his own ability when you have a board like the glazers.

gajender

Instead of signing a back up keeper for £10m can’t we resign De Gea as number 2, he’ll get lots of games. Then spend the money on a CB or LB or CDM.

We currently have CDM needed.
LB’s injured
Varane injured

If ETH wasn’t our manager I’d give already. But part of me think him doing genius things that work like playing Shaw at CB is what is making the board not spend. A victim of his own ability when you have a board like the glazers.
So you are conveniently ignoring that De Gea was offered option of being Back up keeper at United and decided not to take it and where are you getting the info about United spending £10m on transfer fee for Back up keeper .

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
10m for a backup keeper on a five year contract at 50k/week would come out to an annual player cost of 4.5m.

From an FFP / FSR point of view (which is what's constraining our spending), this would be significantly cheaper than re-signing DDG on his inflated wages.

Sylar

Hope he finds a decent club. I Love the guy.

And although I think Utd needed a new #1, I think it’s a shame that DDG couldn’t stay as back up / cup keeper.

I miss him.
This was the issue, he couldnt handle pressure of cup games especially in the latter stages. Its where he mostly let us down throughout his career.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I love the guy but he's taken a massive slap in the face this summer. So far, its showing that no club of the level he thinks he is will take him, even on a free.
Releasing this training video just to be relevant in conversations again is very sad.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
This was the issue, he couldnt handle pressure of cup games especially in the latter stages. Its where he mostly let us down throughout his career.
Agree. I think we would have won the Europa if it was Romero in the sticks in 2021, and would have got to 1-2 more finals if he was playing in the semis. The FA cup semi-final with Chelsea in the 20-21 season is one we deffo would have made the final if Romero was there.

Gordon Godot

I love the guy but he's taken a massive slap in the face this summer. So far, its showing that no club of the level he thinks he is will take him, even on a free.
Releasing this training video just to be relevant in conversations again is very sad.
Finally the club made a tough decision but right one. The lack of suitors for many of our unwanted players says something pretty damning though

Marcelinho87

He'll be releasing a brochure soon

Owen mk II

VWW

I'm glad he hasnt taken the Michael Owen route. Man was that cringe but it worked.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Some people really used to argue about how good he was last couple of years. Anyone could see that hardly anyone big would take him at their club. I am surprised that he is not at a Spanish club already but it’s either wages or his desire to play at a big club which is most likely not allowing that

Hughes35

I think it was time for him to move on but I am amazed he hasn't found a new a new club..... Like really amazed.

Tottenham's new keeper looks awful. They paid £17million for him when DDG is sat doing nothing.

Tottenham, Bournemouth, Luton, Palace, West Ham, Forrest, Sheff Utd, Burnley a would have been better with him. I don't know Spain and Italy keepers that well but I'm sure tonnes of clubs would be better with him too.

SAFMUTD

I knew he wasn't getting a top club. But to still be a free agent with only hours left in the window?

Feel bad for him he's 100% regretting not signing that 200K contract back in March. Unless the Saudis come for him I don't think he'll get even half of that.

Sylar

I think it was time for him to move on but I am amazed he hasn't found a new a new club..... Like really amazed.

Tottenham's new keeper looks awful. They paid £17million for him when DDG is sat doing nothing.

Tottenham, Bournemouth, Luton, Palace, West Ham, Forrest, Sheff Utd, Burnley a would have been better with him. I don't know Spain and Italy keepers that well but I'm sure tonnes of clubs would be better with him too.
Some of us said this would happen and a big reason is due to united last contract to him being so ridiculous.

Most of these teams have keepers on less than 100k PW.
Vicario(?) Is something like 25, on 75k PW. Even if he doesn't work out he will have value for replacing.

Ddg was on 350k PW.
He would need to take a 80% or more reduction in wages.
Also the number of mistakes ddg was making was increasing year on year. Not to mention his number of weaknesses that translates to defenders.

There is no value in taking ddg if youre a premier league club never mind a top club.

Born2Lose

Saw Galatasaray have released Mata too after a stinker of a season.

How on earth these two coasted at United for so long on such inflated salaries I'll never know.

Who says "Nice" guys finish last.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

He was very highly rated in Italy so I'd reserve judgment for the next few months. He's played like 3 games for them and conceded almost no goals.

Hughes35

Some of us said this would happen and a big reason is due to united last contract to him being so ridiculous.

Vicario(?) Is something like 25, on 75k PW. Even if he doesn't work out he will have value for replacing.

Ddg was on 350k PW.
Also the number of mistakes ddg was making was increasing year on year. Not to mention his number of weaknesses that translates to defenders.

There is no value in taking ddg if youre a premier league club never mind a top club.
Surely he's not holding out for big wages still? He's currently getting paid £0 per year.

Hughes35

He was very highly rated in Italy so I'd reserve judgment for the next few months. He's played like 3 games for them and conceded almost no goals.
Maybe he will get better but I'd seen pretty much all of Spurs so far this season and I think he's been extremely shaky.

Gandalf

Surely he's not holding out for big wages still? He's currently getting paid £0 per year.
I don't think it is wages so much as the stature of club. He wants to play for a team that is preferably in the CL and those opportunities have not come his way. It has been reported that he has approaches from the Saudi League but so far has not been interested so money cannot be his prime motivation. Clearly what happened with Madrid is an indication that he may need to lower his sights and I am fairly sure he will sign somewhere soon, the options will be dwindling and ultimately, he will want to play.

Dannn411

Are you sure you're watching properly because Vicario's been pretty solid for them. I know because I have watched every single competitive Spurs game they've played this season and he has been solid. There is no chance that De Gea on astronomical wages would be better for Spurs than Vicario. Even De Gea on normal wages is a risk these days let alone the wages he is probably holding out for.

R'hllor

Case of this wuss just shows how delusional some in here are when it comes to quality of our players in their eyes.

RedMistyDevil

Tbh, I feel that not many people/players will go from £375k pw to at most £100k pw without putting up a fight. Yes, he's not earning money right now, but if he assumes he can still earn big money, 2 months of no pay to get the contract he thinks he deserves is really just a small price to pay.

De Gea's sense of wages has been twisted by the fact that the club offered him that much money when he was already the top paid GK in the league, and when his form was actually on the decline after that World Cup. He needs to realize that his options are (a) take a massive pay cut to stay in Europe, or (b) take a pay cut and maybe find a Saudi club.

I wouldn't mind if he stayed as a back up GK, but there's no way he'd've taken the wage cut the club wanted him to take.

Hughes35

Are you sure you're watching properly because Vicario's been pretty solid for them. I know because I have watched every single competitive Spurs game they've played this season and he has been solid. There is no chance that De Gea on astronomical wages would be better for Spurs than Vicario. Even De Gea on normal wages is a risk these days let alone the wages he is probably holding out for.
Really?? Different opinions I guess. I haven't been impressed at all.

Early days though so I may well be proved wrong.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Tbh, I feel that not many people/players will go from £375k pw to at most £100k pw without putting up a fight. Yes, he's not earning money right now, but if he assumes he can still earn big money, 2 months of no pay to get the contract he thinks he deserves is really just a small price to pay.

De Gea's sense of wages has been twisted by the fact that the club offered him that much money when he was already the top paid GK in the league, and when his form was actually on the decline after that World Cup. He needs to realize that his options are (a) take a massive pay cut to stay in Europe, or (b) take a pay cut and maybe find a Saudi club.

I wouldn't mind if he stayed as a back up GK, but there's no way he'd've taken the wage cut the club wanted him to take.
With the camera zooming in on him on the bench, trying to catch an expression every time Onana has a nervous moment. No, thank you. A dream for Sky Sports and their idea of punditry, and for ABU media everywhere. For us, not so much.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Ddg was on 350k PW.

I'd actually disagree with that. I feel his last two seasons here were improvements over the two and a half seasons before that. Still obviously not good enough, but not as bad as he'd been in 19/20 and 20/21 (and especially the last few months of 18/19 where he was genuinely terrible).

RedMistyDevil

With the camera zooming in on him on the bench, trying to catch an expression every time Onana has a nervous moment. No, thank you. A dream for Sky Sports and their idea of punditry, and for ABU media everywhere. For us, not so much.
True.

I don't know if Bayindir is good enough, so I'm hoping Heaton is healthy if/when Onana leaves for AFCON duty.

Sylar

I'd actually disagree with that. I feel his last two seasons here were improvements over the two and a half seasons before that. Still obviously not good enough, but not as bad as he'd been in 19/20 and 20/21 (and especially the last few months of 18/19 where he was genuinely terrible).
All opinion of course on that.
For me, Last season I thought he was terrible bar maybe a few months. His mistakes seemed at an all time high.
He had a horrible start, and worse ending.

In between he conceded 7 against Liverpool, six against city and id say a lot of those (if not at least half) he saves in 2014.
Was 18/19 when he made mistakes v Barca and Chelsea? If so that was bad too

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
All opinion of course on that.
For me, Last season I thought he was terrible bar maybe a few months. His mistakes seemed at an all time high.
He had a horrible start, and worse ending.

In between he conceded 7 against Liverpool, six against city and id say a lot of those (if not at least half) he saves in 2014.
Was 18/19 when he made mistakes v Barca and Chelsea? If so that was bad too
The last couple of months of 18/19 was definitely the worst form of his career, he was basically throwing the ball in the back of his own net every second game. His collapse right when we'd got ourselves back into the top four race was the main reason we missed out on a CL spot. He did make the mistakes against Barca and Chelsea in that period (although you'd have to be more specific about Chelsea because he's had multiple bad mistakes against them in different seasons). Before those few months he was ok that season - an obvious decline over where he'd been previously but not so bad that anybody was particularly worried.

I guess the following four seasons are up for debate. 19/20 was the season he was bought into the line-up for the three semi's that we ended up losing (with him at fault for two of them), 20/21 was when he arguably knocked us out of the CL and eventually Ole dropped him for Henderson, 21/22 he was good (easily the best form of his last five years) in the first half of the season, but average-poor in the second half, then last season he was fairly up and down all season.

Personally I'd say 20/21 was his worst full season, 21/22 was his best, and 19/20 and 22/23 are overall fairly close. Probably cost us more in the league in the latter but we still finished third, while in the former he cost us in the cups and we obviously got knocked out. 18/19 like I said was ok overall but with an absolutely atrocious finish.

Last edited:

Kjorra

Given another season I think he would do great, how difficult is it to pass a ball.... Miss the legend

Sylar

The last couple of months of 18/19 was definitely the worst form of his career, he was basically throwing the ball in the back of his own net every second game. His collapse right when we'd got ourselves back into the top four race was the main reason we missed out on a CL spot. He did make the mistakes against Barca and Chelsea in that period (although you'd have to be more specific about Chelsea because he's had multiple bad mistakes against them in different seasons). Before those few months he was ok that season - an obvious decline over where he'd been previously but not so bad that anybody was particularly worried.

I guess the following four seasons are up for debate. 19/20 was the season he was bought into the line-up for the three semi's that we ended up losing (with him at fault for two of them), 20/21 was when he arguably knocked us out of the CL and eventually Ole dropped him for Henderson, 21/22 he was good (easily the best form of his last five years) in the first half of the season, but average-poor in the second half, then last season he was fairly up and down all season.

Personally I'd say 20/21 was his worst full season, 21/22 was his best, and 19/20 and 22/23 are overall fairly close. Probably cost us more in the league in the latter but we still finished third, while in the former he cost us in the cups and we obviously got knocked out. 18/19 like I said was ok overall but with an absolutely atrocious finish.
Its not good when its debatable which is his 'worst' or 'most costly' season....

Status
Not open for further replies.