David de Gea: I hope I can be here for many more years

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He was one of the best when Neuer was around so what in the game has changed exactly? Allison and Ederson aren't doing anything that Neuer wasn't a few years ago

Only thing that's changed is the media have latched on to a new fad thinking the two Brazilians have reinvented the wheel and yes De Gea has been more error prone after being absolutely flawless for 3/4 years

AKDevil

He was one of the best when Neuer was around so what in the game has changed exactly? Allison and Ederson aren't doing anything that Neuer wasn't a few years ago

Only thing that's changed is the media have latched on to a new fad thinking the two Brazilians have reinvented the wheel and yes De Gea has been more error prone after being absolutely flawless for 3/4 years
back then Neuer was an exception but now that ‘good with his feet’ keeper is the norm. That’s the way goalkeeping is going.

arthurka

Don't give a toss about him staying on the line but his undoing has been his errors..

El Zoido

He’s right for the wrong reasons. It’s just because his form has dropped. His mistakes haven’t been due to changes in the style of goalkeeping (of which there hasn’t really been anyway). They were bad errors that would be bad at any level of the game. The concern is that he’s peaked and is never going to return to those levels.

edcunited1878

DDG has always been reluctant to come off his line to aggressively claim high balls and balls into the box. His passing isn't the greatest, fine. But he's still a top player in his position in the world. Darn, he's not top 1,2, or 3 for the first time in 7 or so odd years. He'll be at the club for a few more years at most before Henderson will be given a shot at being United and England's #1.

Based Adnan

Him staying on his line has cost us goals and will continue to do so. It's not an obvious error when he does it most of the time so it doesn't get called out as often as it should but it does cost us.

kidbob

DDG has always been reluctant to come off his line to aggressively claim high balls and balls into the box. His passing isn't the greatest, fine. But he's still a top player in his position in the world. Darn, he's not top 1,2, or 3 for the first time in 7 or so odd years. He'll be at the club for a few more years at most before Henderson will be given a shot at being United and England's #1.
Nothing I disagree with here but just wanted to say that Henderson should already be England's number one. However I would prefer another year on loan for him because if De Gea was English then he would be England's number one.

passing-wind

I think the next year will determine if De Gea will continue to be a success, because he's become a liability since the World Cup with school boy error mistakes.

I think we are in a fairly competent position regarding keepers. If things don't t work out for David we could use Romero until Henderson is ready for the first team. It's debatable that Henderson is ready now considering he's been one of the best keepers in the league this season.

edcunited1878

Nothing I disagree with here but just wanted to say that Henderson should already be England's number one. However I would prefer another year on loan for him because if De Gea was English then he would be England's number one.
Yeah, Henderson should be at least have been given a chance to challenge now for the #1. Pickford is #1 and he's already at his best. Henderson has at least one more year on loan to Sheffield, then after that, it's all off. DDG and Henderson have one contractual year of overlap, but I think that might be one year too much for DDG as United #1 as by then it's should be clear that Henderson should be ready to the #1 for United. And yeah, it's clear to everyone associated with United what it would mean for them to have their undisputed #1 come from the academy and then probably be England #1. They'd have Henderson, Maguire, AWB, Rashford, and potentially Sancho as England internationals, if not England starting XI.

mancan92

What's there to disagree with? De geas issues with staying on the line have always been bad. The difference now is that he has been making massive errors you wouldn't expect from championship keepers. He's no longer one of the best. At what point is a player past it? He has been poor to average for about 18 months

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I wouldn't worry about De Gea. I think he had a blip but there is no perfect solution. I think as confidence rises, we'll see him stepping up again. Of course their are bits he can improve on. It's up to the coaches to look at these things.

RUCK4444

Wrong. De Gea is class and he is young enough to prove it again.

one of the things that grinds my gears about pundits and fans when discussing keepers is this absolutely over exaggerated belief that all keepers must be the ‘sweeper keeper.’

You cannot tell me that if De Gea came of his line constantly in the time he has been here that the points difference would be huge, or even worth considering.

The negative incoherent style of play we’ve had over the past few years would even allow for it. It’s not like our back four have been pushing up and really pressing teams backwards - creating a situation where it would be called for every game.

The guy is allowed a poor spell. People will realise when he’s gone that keeping the ball out of the net is the priority and an in form De Gea is as good at any at that.

mancan92

Wrong. De Gea is class and he is young enough to prove it again.

one of the things that grinds my gears about pundits and fans when discussing keepers is this absolutely over exaggerated belief that all keepers must be the ‘sweeper keeper.’

You cannot tell me that if De Gea came of his line constantly in the time he has been here that the points difference would be huge, or even worth considering.

The negative incoherent style of play we’ve had over the past few years would even allow for it. It’s not like our back four have been pushing up and really pressing teams backwards - creating a situation where it would be called for every game.

The guy is allowed a poor spell. People will realise when he’s gone that keeping the ball out of the net is the priority and an in form De Gea is as good at any at that.
But he hasn't been inform for 18 months

RUCK4444

But he hasn't been inform for 18 months
It’s harsh to call it 18 months, it’s not every game is it.

Agreed it’s been too often he’s dropped a clanger in that period but it’s a difficult position to gauge over a time period like that.

It’s not like he’s forgotten how to keep goal overnight and he’s not old so his form can switch back as easy/quickly as it dipped.

mancan92

It’s harsh to call it 18 months, it’s not every game is it.

Agreed it’s been too often he’s dropped a clanger in that period but it’s a difficult position to gauge over a time period like that.

It’s not like he’s forgotten how to keep goal overnight and he’s not old so his form can switch back as easy/quickly as it dipped.
It's not that harsh its been about that long that he's been average to poor with the occasional good game. That's not good enough. He even had a stretch where he literally was costing us matches.

Web of Bissaka

Who the heck is Mark Ogden
I value opinions, but that last point of his is a lazy statement, copy-and-paste (the last point).
I agree at current form, DDG isn't top 3 at the moment.

Years ago, DDG is praised for his reflective shot-stopping ability, and this is despite his weaknesses (famous now) being obvious but it wasn't a buzzword then in the media. As others have said, Neuer is praised and often preferred more as world's best gk back then for bein all-around, while DDG's biggest and perhaps only selling point is his superhuman saving ability.

^ So what changed?
= Simply he's making too many mistakes compare to his "normal" standard and doing those saves less.

Nikelesh Reddy

We're in a bit of a predicament if he wants to see out the 5 year contract he signed in 2019.

We have Dean Henderson who we've sent out on loan for the last 5 years who has climbed up from the National League, League 2, League 1, Championship and now is arguably one of the Premier League's best goalkeepers and on the verge of being the England #1.

Would back Henderson if I'm honest.
Let’s not over state Henderson’s readiness to play for United.Hes had 1 good season in the PL,it’s far too early to talk about him displacing David to become our number 1.In my view Hendersons loan at Sheffield should be extended for another season....Let’s assess David’s and Deans performance levels over the course of the next season before taking a decision.Surely De Gea has some goodwill in the bank because of what he’s done for this club over the course of many seasons...

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I dont get how the two are relevant. De Gea does tend to stay on his line, but the only issue we've had with him is errors due to lapses in concentration. Blips that used to never happen. His game might not be similar to most top keepers in the world today, but if he can cut out the mistakes, hes back up there with the best of them.

Jonno

All keepers seem to be error prone minus Allison etc who are well protected.
Ederson was a God on here as a modern keeper and he's throwing out clangers every other game.
Allison has made probably 5-10 errors in his 2 years, but because Liverpool are a winning machine it's been forgotten about.

izec

Allison has made probably 5-10 errors in his 2 years, but because Liverpool are a winning machine it's been forgotten about.
I would like to see that statistic. I think he made a couple of errors obviously, but between 5-10? I think you are exaggerating here. De Gea made 10 massive mistakes in the last 2 years, and he was topping the PL chart in that regard. Alisson is by far the best PL GK by metrics, there is no way he was doing that many errors.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
He's still a young keeper but he relies on reflexes, so being young doesn't automatically make it a guarantee that he'll be good into his 30's.

The last great game he had was against Spurs in December 2018? At that point he had just turned 28, maybe this is just a natural decline of his razor sharp reflexes, and without his reflexes he's sadly an average keeper.

Loved him during his prime though, never felt on edge knowing he'd pull off a few world class saves, I remember the game against Arsenal where they had loads of chances but you knew we'd win because he was in goal - he doesn't inspire that same confidence anymore, and I think that same feeling has hit our defenders.

suheilsworld

I’d certainly have De Gea as first choice for the next season or two. Henderson is still very unproven at PL level and has no experience playing for a club at United’s level. We saw it with Foster who IMO is in the top 5 keepers in the league that he just wasn’t able for the level of scrutiny that comes with playing for United. There’s no guarantee Henderson won’t be the same.

I’d give Henderson a long-term deal and loan him to SU for another season or two. We can review it then. Would be far too soon to go making the change next season.
This. Also with SU might qualifying for europe season, it’ll give a good exposure for Hendo before we can take a call on him.

OleBoiii

Anyone in here who wants DDG out should be put on a list. Whenever a user from this list whines about lack of player loyalty or a player flirting with rival clubs, they should receive a ban that grows exponentially each time. It begins with a 1 week ban.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's a terrific keeper that had a dip in form when the whole team were underperforming. He's hardly been playing in a healthy environment, we can all attest to them. His weaknesses in his game are massively overstated. His passing with the ball at his feet is actually decent. He hangs back too often but his incredible positioning and reflexes mitigates that because he's so damn hard to beat.

Is he top 3 as of right now? No probably not. Does that mean he isn't on the cusp of it, or incapable of regaining the #1 spot next season and beyond? Absolutely not.

dalriada

DDG has been a great keeper for us, so any error he makes is measured against a very high standard he has set. His form has dipped and he's made a couple of big errors that I don't remember him making in the past, but you can dig out clangers from the archives for almost any top keeper. His form hasn't been helped by the defensive mess we started to suffer in Mourinho's third season. He's still one of the best two keepers in the EPL (with Allison nowadays).

It's unusual to have three keepers of such ability in contention, although it's generally accepted that Romero won't ever be in line for the permanent no.1 spot, so the dilemma with Henderson is an unusual one. The ideal situation is Henderson continues to benefit from playing in the top half of the EPL at a young age and eventually replaces DDG as a ready-made, homegrown top keeper, possibly with experience in the England first team.
It depends on whether Henderson is willing to be patient and go with that kind of plan. He's exceptionally lucky to have gone on loan to a club that gained promotion and has overachieved in its first EPL season, given also that he wasn't Mourinho's favoured reserve keeper - that was Joel Pereira, and Grant was brought in as well. He's the second youngest keeper in the EPL, so he has plenty of time as keeper's careers go, but also is clearly very ambitious and may not be prepared to wait until his late 20's if an opportunity arises elsewhere.

Henderson benefits as a keeper from a very different style of defending at Sheffield United. Replicating his form in a much more counter-attacking Utd team that expects to return to ECL is a different proposition and we'd be foolish to part with a proven top keeper like DDG on the basis of two good seasons at a newly promoted side that could suffer second season syndrome and suddenly everyone is talking differently about him. Nevertheless, his athleticism and ability in the air are genuine, regardless of the system he's playing in.

If Sheffield Utd are happy to have him on loan again next season and Henderson is happy with the arrangement, it works for us. Beyond that is guesswork, but I would stick with DDG unless his form really takes a persistent drop, with Romero as number two in the kind of role he performs very well at the moment. I'm also not convinced by the play-out-from-the-back sweeper keepers in the EPL - it's worked for Liverpool but Ederson has made some real howlers.

Reactions: Invictus

MphoG

He’s costing us more than he’s ever saved us. Honestly he should be benched. It’s not like we won the league or got to the champions league glory with his great saves, even in his hot damn prime. It’s a disgrace, and the save he made, my grandma could have woke up from the casket, made it and went back to the damn grave. Disgcareful

Last edited:

Giggsyking

I am tired of saying it every match now. Even the stop 3 months did not change him, has to go to the bench next season.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We're playing pretty well.. but ehm, David.. please stop this nonsense?

El Zoido

It’s not like he’s making errors where you can say he could have done better. His mistakes are usually massive clangers. It keeps happening and it’s a big concern. The whole team loses confidence if they can’t rely on the goalkeeper.

RUCK4444

OK I’m shifting towards Henderson being brought back to the club, De Gea needs pushing and focus, nothing like a kid trying to take your place to sharpen your game