David de Gea: I hope I can be here for many more years

SteveW

How many times? He cost us top 4 last season and is about to do it again.

SteveW

He's a terrific keeper that had a dip in form when the whole team were underperforming. He's hardly been playing in a healthy environment, we can all attest to them. His weaknesses in his game are massively overstated. His passing with the ball at his feet is actually decent. He hangs back too often but his incredible positioning and reflexes mitigates that because he's so damn hard to beat.

Is he top 3 as of right now? No probably not. Does that mean he isn't on the cusp of it, or incapable of regaining the #1 spot next season and beyond? Absolutely not.
He's been bad since early 2018.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Seeing him make mistakes actively makes me sad. It's like watching a fighter you like take a beating.

I'm rooting for him but it's nearly two years of form ranging from "okay" to "nightmarish".

It's easy to say he's past it but the reality is that the overwhelming majority of his mistakes have come from concentration rather than slower reflexes. It's not like it has been a gradual decline either. He went straight from a brilliant season with us to a disastrous WC with Spain. I'd love to know what's going on in his head and what he's doing to fix these problems, because he needs to be doing something.

Whether Henderson is here next season or not, it's going to be a decisive one for De Gea. We hopefully won't need him to single-handedly save us as he did at his best but we do need him to be a hell of a lot better than he has been. If he's not..... :(

Revan

Assumptionman
Could have done better, but the goal was mostly Maguire's fault who got skinned during the action.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Seeing him make mistakes actively makes me sad. It's like watching a fighter you like take a beating.

I'm rooting for him but it's nearly two years of form ranging from "okay" to "nightmarish".

It's easy to say he's past it but the reality is that the overwhelming majority of his mistakes have come from concentration rather than slower reflexes. It's not like it has been a gradual decline either. He went straight from a brilliant season with us to a disastrous WC with Spain. I'd love to know what's going on in his head and what he's doing to fix these problems, because he needs to be doing something.

Whether Henderson is here next season or not, it's going to be a decisive one for De Gea. We hopefully won't need him to single-handedly save us as he did at his best but we do need him to be a hell of a lot better than he has been. If he's not..... :(
This is the kind of thinking that got Anderson eight years at the club.

What other top club with persist with a player playing in such a key position after making such high-profile mistakes for 2 years?

RORY65

It speaks to the mismanagement at the club over the last few years and how we are continually proactive rather than reactive that after a terrible World Cup and by far his worst season since his first couple of years that we gave him a £400k a week contract (because we've given the likes of Rooney, Sanchez and even Shw huge contracts that they never got close to living up to) that means we are stuck with him now. If this is just a dip in form it's been going on for a bloody long time.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Made more mistakes in the last two years than the previous 7.

-Supreme-

Is he going to be the difference that will end our top 4 hopes for the 2nd season?

edgecutter

Many of us were told that we were stupid for advising against giving him a new contract. He should be benched for the next game.

SteveW

Like most of our recent non wins De Gea has cost us. If he does his job competently we win. What's new?

Its time to move on from him but he's going to be very hard to sell with those wages. We can't just keep hin as number 1 over Henderson just because hes on a big wage though.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Like most of our recent non wins De Gea has cost us. If he does his job competently we win. What's new?

Its time to move on from him but he's going to be very hard to sell with those wages. We can't just keep hin as number 1 over Henderson just because hes on a big wage though.
Then like Sanchez, De Gea may be a negative influence in the dressing room. Its hand-strung situation for a manager to be put in especially by decisions made by Woody or the previous manager.

Water Melon

If not for his wages, would have been out the door. Hendo is doing much better while Romero is as solid backup keeper as they come. David needs to improve big time, otherwise, we are out of CL next season.

El Zoido

If he’d stopped that shot we may have won this game. We were the better team and completely gifted them a goal. He cost us top four last season and he’ll cost us top four again this season if he keeps doing this. Honestly at this point I think Romero would be a better choice.

SpyLuke10

Hes been poor since the world cup, and especially shit at times. Henderson must be given the chance to compete with him next season for first choice keeper at United.

He was unreal for the entire 2017-18 season. That guy who said hes been bad since the start of 2018 is talking nonsense.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
This is the kind of thinking that got Anderson eight years at the club.

What other top club with persist with a player playing in such a key position after making such high-profile mistakes for 2 years?
Yeah except Anderson always only had potential, whereas DDG has actually sown he can be an incredible goalkeeper. So kind of a useless comparison.

But anyway, I think his past gives him the benefit of the doubt for the first year. However we are now in the second year where his performances have dipped. Its a long time and I think you have to be seriously considering at the end of this season if it’s time to move on.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
How many times? He cost us top 4 last season and is about to do it again.
I think that United's inability to buy a CM in summer was far more damaging. Yesterday's mistake was a collective effort from Shaw's childish header right then tortoise being outpaced so easily right to Ddg. That's 130m worth of talent there.

SteveW

I think that United's inability to buy a CM in summer was far more damaging. Yesterday's mistake was a collective effort from Shaw's childish header right then tortoise being outpaced so easily right to Ddg. That's 130m worth of talent there.
True. But it's a separate issue. Our CM position is now quite strong.

It was a poor header but you could see he was trying to play quickly and get it back from Bruno and get forward. I want us to play with that freedom and attacking intent. I'd prefer that than he just cleared it 30 yards to nobody. Ill forgive the odd misplaced pass or header in this case.

Maguire was terrible. Why show him inside?????

De Gea did what he usually does these days.

KeanoMagicHat

Funny thing is I think United are probably a better overall squad and are playing better than under various times under Van Gaal and Mourinho but De Gea's form is like a -6 point swing vs a +6 point swing.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
His good saves after he makes huge mistakes are letting people overlook the mistakes as much. I see a lot of posts that are 'he made a big mistake against -insert team- but he rescued us a point after that' which feels like justifying his mistake because he saved you after which is literally what he's paid as a GK to do. The mistakes are racking up now and he's morphing into Lloris who everyone on here laughs at for making shit mistakes all the time.

Irrational.

Watching Evra defending him was also kinda cringeworthy. Just accept that he's no longer half the GK he was a few years ago and drop him before we lose out on top four because of him again.

passing-wind

His good saves after he makes huge mistakes are letting people overlook the mistakes as much. I see a lot of posts that are 'he made a big mistake against -insert team- but he rescued us a point after that' which feels like justifying his mistake because he saved you after which is literally what he's paid as a GK to do. The mistakes are racking up now and he's morphing into Lloris who everyone on here laughs at for making shit mistakes all the time.
I was just about to comment the Lloris comparison I think it's an accurate reflection of his failing ability. I'll give De Gea credit because at his best, the rest of the team was absolutely shambolic. However, if we are to progress especially under what I'd consider an absolute rookie manager, we need to be consistent. De Gea and the aspect of consistency are non correlative. If anyone thinks Henderson will feature you have to consider the character of our manager, who has almost refused to rotate Romero despite David approaching three years of abysmal form.

Okey

That new contract is looking worse and worse by the day, and it looked pretty bad when it was awarded! To me anyway...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I was just about to comment the Lloris comparison I think it's an accurate reflection of his failing ability. I'll give De Gea credit because at his best, the rest of the team was absolutely shambolic. However, if we are to progress especially under what I'd consider an absolute rookie manager, we need to be consistent. De Gea and the aspect of consistency are non correlative. If anyone thinks Henderson will feature you have to consider the character of our manager, who has almost refused to rotate Romero despite David approaching three years of abysmal form.
The bad form started with a dreadful world cup. So it's over two years not three.

reddevil80

Just seen a slow-mo replay of Spurs' goal. I've never been a goalkeeper or coached one either but I am going to pose a question that, I feel, will be a resounding no.

DdG has come out to make the block/save. The strike is a nice height, powerful but nice height for a goalie. His left hand is open, palm facing the ball, ready to put his strong wrist under the ball and lift it high IF it is too strong to hold but his right hand is a downward facing fist. If the ball hits his knuckles, his wrist is facing the wrong way. It ricochets off his knuckles and heads into the net.

If there are gk coaches or gk's reading this, is that now a training technique that is considered appropriate?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He might no longer be at the top. But outdated as a keeper? really? what an overreaction.
Not all teams need a GK that could play from the back or that are aggressive. I find it baffling when people use a select few teams as a point to proof "If your GK doesn't do this, He is outdated". What are GKs for? to prevent the ball from getting into the net. That's what.

Sylar

Could have done better, but the goal was mostly Maguire's fault who got skinned during the action.
The chance was Maguire's fault
The goal was DDGs fault

Any other team we would be saying dodgy keeper by now

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
He might no longer be at the top. But outdated as a keeper? really? what an overreaction.
Not all teams need a GK that could play from the back or that are aggressive. I find it baffling when people use a select few teams as a point to proof "If your GK doesn't do this, He is outdated". What are GKs for? to prevent the ball from getting into the net. That's what.
Well said

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As brilliant as DDG has been over the years, he doesn't deserve to start for us right now. Were a low scoring team and can't afford to keep fielding an error ridden keeper

Jacob

Hendo is racking up MotM performances. Can't wait to bench DDG from time to time. We should absolutely not lend Dean again.

fps

My main thought is that it's his errors that have been the problem over the last year and a half, not his style of goalkeeping. If he he was in good form there would be few complaints, I think, as extremely high level shot-stopping is always good currency for a goalkeeper.
I don’t think he organised a defence or controls his area in the ways one would hope of him by now. His reflexes have been so good that he has relied too much on them.

Rolaholic

He's in danger of suffering the same fate Cech did at Chelsea as his performances as first choice continue to dip with a young keeper from the club excelling elsewhere on loan