David De Gea

clarkydaz

Why would he go?

He's on his way to being a legend at United. He would be under more scrutiny at Madrid. The club is less stable. He plays with less pressure at United. And he's surely the highest paid GK in the world. It's not gonna happen.
maybe he would like to challenge for the biggest trophies every year, being top of his craft. In his home country. Id be amazed if its not a conflict for him

Castia

Oblak or Donnarumma for me if Dave goes. He's been class for us I'll be sad to see him go.

Inter Yer Nan

I really hope he gives us at least one more season to see if we are on our way back to Europe's elite. We are finally working on the defence enough so that we don't have to over rely on him again. That said it's obviously more based on personal life than any major clamor to play for Real.

Manny

Grammar Police
Fantastic goalie but if he wants to go, let him go.

I only want players who are 100% commited.

Fwiw, I don't think he'll leave.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The one fecking person you can rely on and he's going before we can even make the most of him. Don't blame him either.

welshmanc75

Can't see us getting Donnarumma myself and if we get Griezmann, I'm not sure we would get Oblak as well. Schmeichel Jr for me. PL experience, and is around about the same age as Schmeichel Sr when we signed him.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
It's hard to judge keepers like that though. Doesn't tell you what their concentration is like, which is one of the most important things for a top level goalkeeper.

He's always impressed me when I've seen Sunderland, he's a future England number 1 no doubt. He's a great shot stopper plus his disribution is De Gea-esqe

Either way he won't be at Sunderland much longer a bigger club will definitely be in for him in the summer

leontas

At least he won a few trophies despite the dire past 3 seasons. Understandable if he left but would love to keep him.

Timdbro

Jeez, I had no idea Donnarumma was only 18, talk about potential.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Well the minimum he will go for will be his release clause so sounds like bullshit. We won't sell him for a penny less.
Now that Jose is here, I expect we will get good money for him. None of this "bargain basement fire sale" pricing, which has previously been the case under LVG.

In saying that, Romero is very good and I'd have no problems with him being in our goal.
It is amusing that some people have said they'd want Pickford, Hart (or other name), when IMO Romero is better than all of these.
Romero certainly isn't DDG, but then only Neuer is in DDG's class. Everybody else will be at least a tier below.
A lot of people want AC Milan's teenage sensation GK, however, Jose won't be giving the No.1 jersey to a teenager with no proven experience at the highest level (Milan are no longer a top team).

What do I think will actually happen?
75% chance: DDG and Romero will both stay.
25% chance: DDG goes, Romero will take No.1 Jersey and we will buy a few young GK prospects in the Summer, to eventually take over Romero. If Romero messes up next season, then in 15 months we will buy a new established GK for a huge transfer fee.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I was sure that he was gone in the summer of faxgate and, to be honest, seeing as he still stayed then (not by choice, probably), and next summer, I don't see why he'd finally decide to move now.

It's possible, of course, but I just don't have this feeling

harms

Staff
Romero certainly isn't DDG, but then only Neuer is in DDG's class. Everybody else will be at least a tier below.
But there is clearly a tier (or even two) between those just below Neuer/De Gea and Romero. He has been consistently decent for us, mostly playing against weak opposition, but if you take a look back at his career you'd see quite a lot of howlers (and not enough out of this world saves) to justify his claim as our #1

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If he does end up at Real, I'd take Kroos or Varane + a decent transfer fee in exchange.
Rhetorical question: When was the last time an exchange amongst top clubs actually happened? (and almost doesn't count ;))
In a nutshell, when you are dealing with the likes of DDG, Kroos, Varane (all Galactico class players), there will be no exchanges. Each player will command a transfer fee so large that it would send most clubs into administration. :lol:
I assure you, there will be no exchanges for DDG, Kroos or Varane. World record transfer fees on other hand, may be involved.

FWIW, Real Madrid already have an unbelievably good GK - Navas. A lot of you are behaving as if Madrid have already given up on Navas and bought DDG. IMO, Navas will continue as Madrid's No.1.

Redlyn

I was sure that he was gone in the summer of faxgate and, to be honest, seeing as he still stayed then (not by choice, probably), and next summer, I don't see why he'd finally decide to move now.

It's possible, of course, but I just don't have this feeling
Because despite his patience we are still far from elite? An elite goalie needs to play at the very top level. Will be utterly unsurprised if he has decided enough is enough.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
But there is clearly a tier (or even two) between those just below Neuer/De Gea and Romero. He has been consistently decent for us, mostly playing against weak opposition, but if you take a look back at his career you'd see quite a lot of howlers (and not enough out of this world saves) to justify his claim as our #1
Give me names. Who do you think is gettable and better than Romero?
For me, Navas is the only one (basically we would be rekindling the same deal should've happened last Summer).
All the other GKs are either not better or are unattainable or would require a World Record transfer fee (eg. Neuer).

IrishRedDevil

I understand that the clause expired last summer.
Even better. I don't want him to leave, but if Real want to try, then dig the heels in and accept no less than £60/70m. I'm sure Jose and Woody will not be bullied into selling one of our best players and arguably the best goalkeeper in the world. The way fees are escalating, we could even demand a world record fee.

wolvored

Can't see us getting Donnarumma myself and if we get Griezmann, I'm not sure we would get Oblak as well. Schmeichel Jr for me. PL experience, and is around about the same age as Schmeichel Sr when we signed him.
Thats going the rounds in some press stories

harms

Staff
Because despite his patience we are still far from elite? An elite goalie needs to play at the very top level. Will be utterly unsurprised if he has decided enough is enough.
Like I said, we're much closer to the elite then we were in the last few years and we finally have a positive vector of movement. So yeah, objectively it's still normal to expect from De Gea a move to his home with the addition of joining a better team, but there were more reasons for him to leave in the past few summers, yet he's still here.

Give me names. Who do you think is gettable and better than Romero?
For me, Navas is the only one (basically we would be rekindling the same deal should've happened last Summer).
All the other GKs are either not better or are unattainable or would require a World Record transfer fee (eg. Neuer).
Considering our financial power? Even Donnarumma for a record-breaking keeper fee. Other than him - Navas, Oblak, Leno, Perin, even Handanovic

ffs, this is a man who, at the peak of his powers, was a hopeless benchwarmer at Monaco and a back up choice for Sampdoria

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
No white text?

Yeah thinking back on that a bit more - I think I'll retract my statement about Joe Hart.

There are better options out there and not to mention the fact for every great save he makes there's also a howler in there for which the English media will not criticise him for. So yeah, do not want!

Alabaster Codify7

As someone else posted, if DDG leaves we are NOT signing Donnarumma as #1 - Jose would never risk it.

Id guess Romero would be #1 with Donnarumma backup. Id prefer a better #1 than Romero if one was available, but we'll see.

Alabaster Codify7

If DDG goes and we dont give Romero his chance, then we are looking for two keepers in the summer
Romero had his chance under LVG before DDG was brought back from exile. He looked like what he is - a good but not excellent keeper. On here, a lot of us were nervous about him even though he didn't embarrass himself at all. He just isn't a keeper that fills anyone with confidence, he's a great #2 though.

Redlyn

Like I said, we're much closer to the elite then we were in the last few years and we finally have a positive vector of movement. So yeah, objectively it's still normal to expect from De Gea a move to his home with the addition of joining a better team, but there were more reasons for him to leave in the past few summers, yet he's still here.

Considering our financial power? Even Donnarumma for a record-breaking keeper fee. Other than him - Navas, Oblak, Leno, Perin, even Handanovic

ffs, this is a man who, at the peak of his powers, was a hopeless benchwarmer at Monaco and a back up choice for Sampdoria
We are closer sure but still very far away from the top.

minoo-utd

If he wants to leave United then fine we will not be crying, but we should get a player plus cash in return that would be some business, a player like kroos would be just ideal.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I see that this time most of you accept or assume the transfer, but I wonder what Mourinho will do .Anyway It will be painful to pay around 70m€

Last edited:

harms

Staff
If he wants to leave United then fine we will not be crying, but we should get a player plus cash in return that would be some business, a player like kroos would be just ideal.
Do you remember the last time there was a big player swap deal?
Ibra - Eto'O... nothing else come to mind.

And it's unlikely that one of the best Madrid players would be happy to go to us as a part of a business arrangement between the clubs

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I see that this time most of you accept or assume the transfer, but I wonder what Mourinho will do to.Anyway It will be painful to pay around 70m€
What's the consensus with your lot? It's a lot of money to splurge on a player you barely need.