David De Gea

Rake

Navasis a good reflex keeper but i feel we would be in big trouble once teams start abusing him on set pieces and crosses

Klopp_De_Klown

If Real Madrid are intent on getting him and he wants to leave, we should demand £40-50m and Nevas. We'd be robbing them blind. Nevas is quality.
Was Real's motm tonight only for him they'd of been far worse off. Kept them in it and i thought he'd of helped win em a point. Until Messi proved me wrong.

That said im not Navas's biggest fan. Think he's too small.

manutddjw

I wouldn't demand Navas as part of any deal. He's really good (no idea why Madrid seem so hell bent on replacing), but I think he'd struggle in England. I hate the term Premier League proven, but in the case of goalkeepers it does have some merit and he doesn't have the size to eventually get acclimated like Dave or Courtois did. Plus he spoke openly about crying at the thought of having to come here last time.

dannofdawn

I wouldn't demand Navas as part of any deal. He's really good (no idea why Madrid seem so hell bent on replacing), but I think he'd struggle in England. I hate the term Premier League proven, but in the case of goalkeepers it does have some merit and he doesn't have the size to eventually get acclimated like Dave or Courtois did. Plus he spoke openly about crying at the thought of having to come here last time.
I think Real just wants De Gea because he is spain's #1. Just out of sheer pride and image of the club. Got to remember we are talking about a club that has a long history of buying super stars as part of their MO just because they are super stars. And De Gea is an upgrade over Navas anyway.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
When I think of a prototypical Jose keeper.. Navas isn't the first to come to mind by any stretch of the imagination. If De Gea leaves for the first time in a long while I don't think it would have a crippling effect on us. He's barely called upon these days.

prtk0811

If Real Madrid are intent on getting him and he wants to leave, we should demand £40-50m and Nevas. We'd be robbing them blind. Nevas is quality.
:lol: Bad deal. 100 m euros including addones or kroos or modric comes to us plus the money.

Last edited:

Jacko21

Is it actually true about his house being up for sale? I know what newspapers are like in times like these
Yeah, it's true. He lives in Bowdon.

Worth noting, his house was also up for sale prior to his failed move to Madrid in 2015. (Though he was renting at the time.)

lifted

Worth noting, his house was also up for sale prior to his failed move to Madrid in 2015. (Though he was renting at the time.)
I think the majority of foreign players only ever rent their homes too. Daley Blind living in the Edge for example.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum

Womp

idiot

Have a feeling he actually will move this season.

Stacks

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/stats?competition=1&season=20160&category=goalkeeping&sort=9

Shots on our goal have been low, the number of saves he's had to make have been on the lower end of things.
But you don't need stats to tell you what your eyes can plainly see, he's been called on to bail us out far, far less this season than the last 2-3 years under LvG and Moyes.
Thats a given, and the article even mentions this and alludes to the fact that he can still make fantastic saves and provide the calm influence. He is also improved his catching game. His goal keeping stats compare favourably with Courtois and Lloris, the 2 teams above us. How we gonna catch them if we then downgrade to a worse keeper?

Alabaster Codify7

I wouldn't take Navas, good shot stopper but I just get the feeling he'd struggle with the physical side of the PL being such a 'small' keeper and not used to the type of football played over here. A Bravo waiting to happen.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Thats a given, and the article even mentions this and alludes to the fact that he can still make fantastic saves and provide the calm influence. He is also improved his catching game. His goal keeping stats compare favourably with Courtois and Lloris, the 2 teams above us. How we gonna catch them if we then downgrade to a worse keeper?
How are we going to catch them? those same two keepers have finished 5/6th with Spurs in prior seasons, and god knows where with Chelsea last. So obviously losing a quality goalkeeper would be a miss, as it would be for any team, but it seems whats equally important to a title challenge is the defensive unit built around that goalkeeper, it's no surprise those 2 keepers you mention, their defenses overall are 2 of the top 3 in the PL. And allowed the fewest shots for their keepers to save.

I also wrote in my original post which sparked this debate, it wouldn't have a crippling effect, crippling is a strong word, we'd have missed him tenfold under LvG than we would now, is what I meant. Results wise he's obviously been a bigger factor week to week in prievious seasons than he has been this.
And the 2nd part I wrote: He's hardly called upon this season, statistically its 100% true, hes faced near the fewest shots on goal , and had to make the fewest saves for a starting PL keeper.
So what I said was statistically accurate I believe.

So yeah, I'll stick to my guns, it shouldn't have the same crippling effect that it would have done in seasons prior. We're in a healthier position to lose him at least. If we have to.

Last edited:

Jaxdan

If he truly wants to leave, which since I haven't heard him come out and say anything to the contrary, then get the biggest transfer fee you can get from RM this summer and let him go. He's an excellent keeper, one of the best, but as Kenny Rogers would say, you got to know when to fold 'em.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Would be a massive kiss to lose him especially if we get back into the CL but we can't be dealing with this every summer and if he wants to go just get a massive fee for him. Begs the question who do you get to replace him?

pseudo_canadian

If we're selling him to Real we need to demand not only a high fee, but one of their key players in return (not Navas, think he'd struggle in the Prem). We can't just sell one of our vital players in return for cash only, that's bullshit and isn't going to cut it. We should be asking for someone like Kroos or Isco in return.

You want our goalkeeper, who's Spanish (that alone adds a huge premium), and is arguably the best in the world? Great, give us one of your key players in return.

It's the only equitable way of doing this, we can't let Real feck us over on another transfer. In the context of this potential deal De Gea is a a very valuable bargaining piece, and Woodward should be doing everything in his power to get as much value as possible in return.

Last edited:

Jev

I have a feeling our Spanish enclave with Mata and Herrera is what has kept him here. Not convinced he's that eager to go.

To be honest I'm surprised he hasn't tried to force a transfer more openly. Totally understandable if he wants to leave, although it'd be a huge loss. Hard to see any realistic options that wouldn't be a big downgrade.

Irrational.

The last two PL games (0 shots on target against us), we could have had Wayne Shaw eating his pie in goal. :D
I thought you just made up that name combining the names of two of our fattest players.

Turns out he's actually that fat bloke in goal for Sutton. No idea he was called that. :lol::lol:

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The Edge?
Alderley Edge.
Alderley Edge is a village and civil parish in Cheshire, England. In 2011, it had a population of 4,638.

Alderley Edge is 6 miles (10 km) northwest of Macclesfield and 15 miles (24 km) south of Manchester. It is situated at the base of a steep and thickly wooded sandstone ridge, Alderley Edge, which is the area's chief topographical feature and overlooks the Cheshire Plain.

Alderley Edge is well known for its affluence and expensive houses, falling inside Cheshire's Golden Triangle. Alderley Edge has a selection of cafes and designer shops and has attracted numerous Premier League footballers, actors and multi-millionaire businesspeople. It is one of the most expensive and sought-after places to live in the UK outside central London.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
my guess is we'd go for varane plus one other or varane plus cash

ovoxo

my guess is we'd go for varane plus one other or varane plus cash
This is my thinking too. It'll be Varane plus cash. I think De Gea should go for £65m or so, so maybe Varane plus £40m would be a decent return.

KristianMackle

I don't see how Mourinho in any way sells one of our most prized possessions to Real. David is here to stay.
Now having said that, if Real offered £80 to £100 million for him then adios Dave. That kind of money for a goalkeeper borders on insanity.

Stacks

How are we going to catch them? those same two keepers have finished 5/6th with Spurs in prior seasons, and god knows where with Chelsea last. So obviously losing a quality goalkeeper would be a miss, as it would be for any team, but it seems whats equally important to a title challenge is the defensive unit built around that goalkeeper, it's no surprise those 2 keepers you mention, their defenses overall are 2 of the top 3 in the PL. And allowed the fewest shots for their keepers to save.

I also wrote in my original post which sparked this debate, it wouldn't have a crippling effect, crippling is a strong word, we'd have missed him tenfold under LvG than we would now, is what I meant. Results wise he's obviously been a bigger factor week to week in prievious seasons than he has been this.
And the 2nd part I wrote: He's hardly called upon this season, statistically its 100% true, hes faced near the fewest shots on goal , and had to make the fewest saves for a starting PL keeper.

So yeah, I stand by my guns, it shouldn't have the same crippling effect that it would have done in seasons prior. We're in a healthier position to lose him at least. If we have to.
You need both, falsed stop, if you want to challenge. We have seen on many occasions, how difficult it is to challenge without a top, top keeper. Its all well and good having a strong defence, but you need the keeper to be quality, when they do get tested. Lloris, De Gea and Courtois have fit the bill this season. I don't feel Tom Heaton, who has made lots of saves, would manage the job

We need an rvn

This is my thinking too. It'll be Varane plus cash. I think De Gea should go for £65m or so, so maybe Varane plus £40m would be a decent return.
Nice thinking but Real won't sell Verane for £25m! Only exception to that is if they're so desperate for DDG that they'd sell a defender who should become their next Ramos / our Rio, which would be a rediculous thing to do

itso 7

So yeah, I stand by my guns, it shouldn't have the same crippling effect that it would have done in seasons prior. We're in a healthier position to lose him at least. If we have to.
I think one can argue that we are already closer to their level but for our finishing, if the supporting cast behind Ibra had performed to their potential we would be fighting for the title, easily. De Gea is a great golie, thats beyond doubt, but I'm certain that he is not as irreplaceable as he was in 2015-2016 largely because our defense has improved - we now concede way less shorts than we did then.

ovoxo

Nice thinking but Real won't sell Verane for £25m! Only exception to that is if they're so desperate for DDG that they'd sell a defender who should become their next Ramos / our Rio, which would be a rediculous thing to do
If they want De Gea badly, then may as well get a good deal out of them. De Gea isn't making noise to say he's hell bent on leaving, so we shouldn't sell him for anything less than he's worth. Especially given he's not on a final year of contract or anything. I hope we fleece them good and proper.

GBBQ

You need both, falsed stop, if you want to challenge. We have seen on many occasions, how difficult it is to challenge without a top, top keeper. Its all well and good having a strong defence, but you need the keeper to be quality, when they do get tested. Lloris, De Gea and Courtois have fit the bill this season. I don't feel Tom Heaton, who has made lots of saves, would manage the job
Obviously having a world class defence and keeper is the ideal scenario but having a strong defence will allow some leeway in terms of the standard of the goalkeeper (where World Class is much harder to find).