David Gill: We offered Pogba what he wanted (and other issues)

Ekeke

There's no reason we couldnt have brought Scholes back and given Pogba games. Guess what, Carrick might have been our consistant pick in CM but it turns out Pogba is a world beater so given a run of games his place would have been under threat too. The point is he wasnt given that chance to prove his confidence. Not like Anderson and Cleverley

Amir

Bringing Scholes back is one of my favourite moments as a Utd fan. We should be grateful we got to experience that gift a few more times.
Indeed, and it nearly won us the title.

I would say though that at times in the past, when Fergie thought it was time to move forward - that was it. Players were let go, others were given their place. Sometimes it worked straight away, sometimes it took time, sometimes it didn't work at all. But we did make the step. Far less so in recent years when experience was suddenly the most important thing...

We got a good half season out of Scholes. But the next season he was clearly done, barely played, and we've already lost Pogba. Great short term decision, awful long term one.

Gladiator

I don't get the whole 'But he was shite in the reserves that season, didn't play with desire' etc. Well, as far as I know our midfield was shite. We refused to promote and fast track him, a very obvious talent in the area we lacked most. He got disinterested after we refused to take a proper punt on him, and by that I mean saying to him 'Listen Paul we going to give you an extended run in the first team, show us what you got'. Hell, it couldn't be any worse than what he in CM already. He left and became an instant hit at Juve who, it should be noted had a better midfield than ours pre Pogba in any event. We dropped the ball on this one. I don't even think it's up for debate.
indeed. a bit muddled on where exactly it went wrong but at the time, pogba was getting high praise and people said he just needed to be patient. i think we paid the price for applying a domestic view towards a foreign player

Gladiator

SAF wanted to keep Pogba but didn't feel he was ready to played in those PL matches yet, Pogba disagreed with him and felt he had to leave to get better playing opportunities at Juventus. Pretty simple really
oh yea certainly. i was thinking of something else but what you've said is pretty clear too. i wonder how much of what Fergie did was short-termist though (ie rvp transfer)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The Pogba thing isn't new info at all. His agent claimed that we offered the same/more money than Juventus. Pogba himself claimed the same thing later on.

The Ronaldo thing is probably referring to the yearly rumors of him returning while David gill was still the CEO rather than the summer gone by.
Exactly, Gill wasn't around last summer! Woodward was!

Jaxa

For those interested, BBC are running this story after an interview with Pogba:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27248910
Good footballer but comes across as a bit of an arrogant twat who believes in his own hype too much, we don't need divas with hight demands at our club, it's bad enough at times with Rooney, in all honesty from the interviews I have read Im glad he's gone, I guess players like Giggs and Scholes are a rare oddity or even more so a thing of the past now.

Sir A1ex

I agree - whatever did or didn't go on at the time, he's no need to still be banging on about how he was "disrespected".

From a football point of view, there'd be no shame in buying him back - look how Matic is working out Chelsea. But I don't remember Matic whinging on about how Chelsea had dumped him / not given him his chance.

Plugsy

Juventus just lost a Europa league semi to Benfica. Oh well. More time to spend in the gym then Paul?

Leg-End

If Fergie himself said he didn't show us any respect I tend to believe him.

Those that want respect, give respect. Pogba would have broken through in pre-season, I'm certain of that but he couldn't wait for his chance here.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If Fergie himself said he didn't show us any respect I tend to believe him.

Those that want respect, give respect. Pogba would have broken through in pre-season, I'm certain of that but he couldn't wait for his chance here.
The problem was that everyone saw he should have been given chances in his last season as he was more then good enough, but Fergie for whatever reason chose not to give him a chance and so he rightly left for his own good. It sucks, but that's all it is really. Same with any youngster. If you give them chances in the first team, and put faith in them, they'll stay, like with Januzaj.

The interview stuff is just him saying his take on things when people ask him a question, no point in making stuff up really.

Sir A1ex

The interview stuff is just him saying his take on things when people ask him a question, no point in making stuff up really.
Footballers have a world of cliches to call upon in these interviews... what's wrong with "yeah, well, obviously at the end of the day I was disappointed that I was getting more chances, but that was the gaffer's choice so at the end of the day it was a case of moving to another club, and obviously I'm doing well at the new club now..."?
Why all this "disrespect" bollocks?

I, like most, agree that Fergie made a mistake from a football point of view not to give him more of a chance. But ultimately it was Fergie's choice, that was his job. Not getting picked is not "disrespectful".

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Plenty of players have left clubs due to a lack of playing time or opportunities, without having to constantly whine about it.

For example part of me is surprised Hernandez hasn't kicked up more of a fuss this season, but he's a model professional and keeps his mouth shut. Obviously a different situation with him still being at the club and not a youth player, but you see my point. Players seem to be able to avoid interviews just fine when there's a subject they don't want to touch. Pogba is clearly quite happy to talk about how 'disrespected' he was!

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
The problem was that everyone saw he should have been given chances in his last season as he was more then good enough, but Fergie for whatever reason chose not to give him a chance and so he rightly left for his own good. It sucks, but that's all it is really. Same with any youngster. If you give them chances in the first team, and put faith in them, they'll stay, like with Januzaj.

This really. It didn't work out for whatever reason, blame Fergie, or blame the player, the mud slinging doesn't reflect well on anyone, the player more in this case.

Green_Red

Didnt Pogba get a couple of games toward the back end of that season? He wanted game time ahead of Scholes and Carrick... good luck in your new job thats what Id say.

Walters_19_MuFc

When will people start to realise Pogba didn't leave because of money, and that he left because of lack of games?

He may come across a bit arrogant, but at the end of the day, he was a league above the reserve level, and hardly got appearances on the first team bench.

I think SAF should've definitely put more trust in him. There were times when quite a few of our midfielders were injured and SAF still didn't start him.

That said, what's done is done. He's moved on now and I honestly hope he has a great career. He's one hell of a player.

I do miss him, though. :(

Brightonian

Never noticed this thread before. I find it hilarious that an interview with new and interesting insight into what went on behind the scenes with one of our greatest ever players has effectively been titled 'David Gill on Pogba (and other issues).' Other issues?!

The Caf has some fecked up priorities.

red_devil83

Dunno why Pogba gets so much stick. It was clear he was miles better than anything else we had in midfield. He knew it himself. He was never given a fair chance, unlike Cleverly and Ando. Ask yourself, if you were watching those 2 play, or Rafael in CM, when you know you're the mutts nutts, wouldn't you be pissed off?

Can't blame him for leaving tbh. The solution to our CM problems and we lost him for nothing.

Richard Cranium

I can't really recall Fergie bringing through anyone from youth mid-season though? No doubt it crossed his mind, especially as we had to bring Scholes out of retirement, but it seems he doesn't trust upsetting the balance of a team mid-season with an unfamiliar face. Either that or he knew he could trust Scholes in one of Fergie's most challenging seasons as opposed to some 18 year old, holding the club to ransom and training on his own while furiously muttering to himself over and over that he deserved more respect.

Richard Cranium

Dunno why Pogba gets so much stick. It was clear he was miles better than anything else we had in midfield. He knew it himself. He was never given a fair chance, unlike Cleverly and Ando. Ask yourself, if you were watching those 2 play, or Rafael in CM, when you know you're the mutts nutts, wouldn't you be pissed off?

Can't blame him for leaving tbh. The solution to our CM problems and we lost him for nothing.
I think it comes down to the fact that if he genuinely believed that he was that good then any genuine underlying desire or loyalty to the club would have seen him stick around for another 6 months and fight for his place.

Rather he wanted guarantees, which nobody has ever got here but we are hardly against bringing young talent through are we? Good riddance.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Forget everything else and someone sensibly answer me this. Why the feck was Pogba, at the time one of the most exciting prospects we'd had in years, only on the bench for games against Leeds, Aldershot and Crystal Palace?

Edit: Our midfield pairings for those games were Park-Giggs, Park-Cleverley, and Park-Gibson. I mean, seriously, what the feck?
Can't blame Pogba for leaving us really. You would wonder if you still have a future at the club which doesn't rate you at all during the period when it has the weakest midfield in past 20 years.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
(1) He wasn't patient in the slightest, so it's kind of contradicting yourself?

(2) Did you watch him in the reserves? As he put feck all effort in compared with the level of talent he possesses, if he wasn't able to correctly translate this ability at reserve level (Whether it be due to arrogance/ bad games etc), then he won't warrant first team appearances, it's simple.

Hindsight, the player he is now, he wasn't then.
Juventus definitely saw something we didn't see at that time. Well play for them.

Green_Red

Hes better now granted but three years back we had Scholes, Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson and even Giggs vying for a place in the team in that position. Good luck to him, I hope we draw Juve sometime and our midfielders put him in his place

entropy

He could have been part of our midfield if he waited a bit longer. No point holding the club/manager ransom to first team opportunities. You never get ahead like that, atleast at United.

Gannicus

It's obvious Fergie fukked this up. I'm okay with making mistakes. I make them all the time. But it's to understand what Fergie was thinking by holding back Pogba when he did. On the few occasions he did play Pogba he was sensational.

There are times when each of us make a crazy fukk stupid decision. Fergie's mishandling of Pogba was one such occasion.

XdanielredX

Paul Pogba: Man United didn't show me any respect and I was made to train alone

Paul Pogba has lifted the lid on why he turned his back on Manchester United.

The French midfielder accused his former club of 'disrespect', claiming he was made to train alone during the contract dispute.

Pogba, aged 21, left United for Italian side Juventusin July 2012 after failing to agree a contract extension at Old Trafford.

'They left me out because they said I wanted to leave. That is disrespect,' Pogba told BBC World Football Focus. 'Maybe they didn't think if they were making a mistake.'

Pogba was accused of a lack of respect when he left United, with then-manager Sir Alex Ferguson telling MUTV he was 'quite happy' to see the player leave.

'I don't think he showed us any respect at all,' Ferguson added.

Pogba made just seven substitute appearances for United and insists his move was motivated by a desire for more playing time.

'Manchester United is a big club but you have to think about yourself,' Pogba added.

'You have to play. The coach told me there would be space to play, but I wasn't playing.

'I was training alone for one week. They told me to go in the gym. I said "I am not an athlete, I am a footballer."'

Juventus won Serie A in Pogba's first season with the club and are on the brink of successfully defending the title.

Pogba's impressive form has fueled talk of a move back to Manchester, with both United and City believed to be interested, as well as a £40million switch to PSG.

Juventus are due to hold talks over a new contract but president Andrea Agnelli said in October that his club would find a big-money offer for Pogba hard to resist.

Seems it's just going to keep going back and forward.

I think it's just time for everyone to forgive and forget on the whole Pogba issue now, what's done is done, time to move on.