David Moyes West Ham Manager (Again) | European Champion

lex talionis

Hats off to Moyes for his management of West Ham, but his reign at United must not be forgiven or forgotten. The sacking of the coaching staff, the pursuit of Fabregas, the panic buy of Fellaini, the video of Jagielka, the mishandling of aging prima donnas and the tactical ineptitude. Quite a horrific ten months it was, the effects of which we're still reeling from as we witness Ole make many of the same mistakes.

stevoc

I think you are splitting hairs now. It is clear that he was pound-for-pound the best manager in the league, and that was down to his meticulous approach to the job. This is something that clearly impressed Sir Alex, and made him see Moyes as a modern version of himself.
How wrong was he on that one though, they are nothing alike.

Moyes, by contrast, tailors Everton’s style to each new opponent. He works out what the opposition does – and then tries to stop it.
One of the multitude of reasons he didn't work out at United. Defence first manager, some of the United players confirmed this was his approach.

Last edited:

LawmanMan

How wrong was on that one though, they are nothing alike.

One of the multitude of reasons he didn't work out at United. Defence first manager, some of the United players confirmed this was his approach.
And yet West Ham are now one of the highest-scoring teams in the league despite the fact they follow his approach to the letter. They have a much better goal difference than we do, despite the fact we have one of the best players of all-time up front. Perhaps the complacent old-timers could not handle a new way of working, one that would have been beneficial over the long term?

I find it interesting indeed that Wayne Rooney, who worked extensively with him in the past, was one of the few to give him their full backing. And that was despite the fact they had not seen eye-to-eye in the past.

stevoc

And yet West Ham are now one of the highest-scoring teams in the league despite the fact they follow his approach to the letter. They have a much better goal difference than we do, despite the fact we have one of the best players of all-time up front.
Maybe he's finally evolved to have a more progressive mindset since his time at United (which is the period I was referring to). Or maybe United conceded 9 in 2 games explaining the current GD. Or a bit of both.

Perhaps the complacent old-timers could not handle a new way of working, one that would have been beneficial over the long term?
Eh...

I find it interesting indeed that Wayne Rooney, who worked extensively with him in the past, was one of the few to give him their full backing. And that was despite the fact they had not seen eye-to-eye in the past.
Rooney loved Van Gaal too, as long as Wayne was in the team he didn't give a feck who was the manager.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I remember when he spoke of us needing to aspire towards City's level, there was an outcry. Look at us now, I'd say we haven't got there yet.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City

Did you see that score, Klopp?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
This is his level. He can punch above his weight with a club like West Ham. He’d struggle like he did at United with that level of expectation. Done very well so far this season and carried that over from last year.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Well done to David. Makes you wonder even if just for a moment.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
There were people who argued Ole was better than him. Would never have made it here regardless but hes a doing a fine job.

Gurtej

This is his level. He can punch above his weight with a club like West Ham. He’s struggle like he did at United with that level of expectation. Done very well so far this season and carried that over from last year.
This is what is a fact….Not all good managers can handle a club like ours….

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Man Utd fans wanted him out. Well done. Now we want Ole out.
Not sure what the point of this post is? Moyes is a fantastic manager, just not at United's level. Sacking him was 100% the right decision.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
This is his level. He can punch above his weight with a club like West Ham. He’s struggle like he did at United with that level of expectation. Done very well so far this season and carried that over from last year.
West Ham have built a very good team. I'd say that they're punching at their level.

Gazautd18

Happy for him.
Utd job was too soon for him but now he's showing his worth.
Love the way West ham play as well.

Man-United

If he never had the United job before, he would probably be in the bookies top 3 for our next manager.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Fair to say he's learned from his mistakes over the last 7 or 8 years and is now a much different manager then he was at us or Sunderland or even his first tilt at West Ham.

He's not as dour or cautious, and this West Ham team look a lot more versatile

It's always interesting and admirable to see a comeback story. Moyes redemption has seen him go from being a washed up serial failure to a competent PL Manager who's got his team punching above it's weight.

He's learnt from his experiences, and at West Ham he's got the perfect club for his personality. Moyes thrives at West Ham, like he did at Everton, by getting an average team to go beyond what anybody could reasonable expect. He operates well in the transfer market at this level, he makes them hard to beat and instill insane belief in his average PL.players.

I'll wait and see how the PL season plays out over 38 games before getting to carried away about Moyes though. We often saw his Everton teams threaten to go to the next level but repeatedly stall.

He's rebuilding his reputation, but anyone thinks Moyes is now forgiven for the absurd shit he did at United is more forgiving than me!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm not saying Moyes was or is Class -

I'm saying that any manager straight after thr success story of SAF was going to get a tough middle finger approach by us fans and the club as soon as possible for well; not being SAF or even close.

The longer we have gone past the SAF period - the more lenient and unnecessarily loving we have gotten to any manager that has come.

If Moyes for example did come now- I doubt he would be sacked in his first year.

SungSam7

It's always interesting and admirable to see a comeback story. Moyes redemption has seen him go from being a washed up serial failure to a competent PL Manager who's got his team punching above it's weight.

He's learnt from his experiences, and at West Ham he's got the perfect club for his personality. Moyes thrives at West Ham, like he did at Everton, by getting an average team to go beyond what anybody could reasonable expect. He operates well in the transfer market at this level, he makes them hard to beat and instill insane belief in his average PL.players.

I'll wait and see how the PL season plays out over 38 games before getting to carried away about Moyes though. We often saw his Everton teams threaten to go to the next level but repeatedly stall.

He's rebuilding his reputation, but anyone thinks Moyes is now forgiven for the absurd shit he did at United is more forgiving than me!
Yeah but I'd be very afraid for his sake if he goes through a bad spell like at Everton back in 2004 I think that he won't get the time to fix it at West Ham.
If he goes through something like that in the next couple of seasons, he is definitely out of a job.

Idxomer

This is his level. He can punch above his weight with a club like West Ham. He’d struggle like he did at United with that level of expectation. Done very well so far this season and carried that over from last year.
Exactly, he also would never be allowed to build a team like the current West Ham with at any top club.

KeanoMagicHat

I think Moyes can build a really good team if you give him time. He's a slow and steady operator. Still deserved to get sacked at United, but you do wonder what would have happened if he stayed. He was very close to getting Toni Kroos. Kroos would have lifted us another level and would have been the best midfielder we've had by far post-Fergie. He has a good eye for a player.

Red5

The pressure at Utd was just too much for him. The football side of it is only half the job at the biggest clubs.

I remember being worried for his health by the time he left us he looked so stressed out by the situation. Letting him go was the only sensible option. Jose and LVG could deal with that pressure, and I’m not sure Ole feels it quite the same because nobody is really expecting him to succeed, including himself.

AndySmith1990

Fair play to him, I'm glad he's doing well.

He isn't cut out to manage a top tier club, just as many managers aren't. But he's a solid Premier league manager who done a more than decent job at Everton and he seems to have found another club perfectly suited to him.

Although the United job was too big for him, and he did make a terrible mistake in replacing the entire coaching staff, I still feel he was treated unfairly. If you gave him Solskjaer's squad and the same time and backing I would back him to do no worse, and wouldn't be surprised if he delivered a Europa league and/or league Cup trophy.

But anyway that's all hypothetical and irrelevant. He's a good bloke and not a bad manager and he's built a good team.

We'll finish above them come the end of the season of course, simply due to our squad depth seeing us through. That's where rating managers becomes unfair; we're rating them based on very uneven playing fields a lot of the time.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
The chosen one :drool:

From 4 that we hired, he is obviously the best one atm and got his career back on track. Which only shows how incredibly shit we are at picking them tbf.

arthurka

I am 100% sure Utd would be in a better shape had that kept their nerve and let him do his thing for longer. He got the sack after 9 months. Not saying he would have brought Utd titles but the club would be better off.

stevoc

I'm saying that any manager straight after thr success story of SAF was going to get a tough middle finger approach by us fans and the club as soon as possible for well; not being SAF or even close.

The longer we have gone past the SAF period - the more lenient and unnecessarily loving we have gotten to any manager that has come.

If Moyes for example did come now- I doubt he would be sacked in his first year.
If he finished 5th-7th he would 100% still be sacked.

Bole Top

always an easy target here but he's a proper EPL manager despite his failure with United. delighted for him.

Gazza

This doesn't correlate with the reality of what actually happened. He was supported to the nth degree here until it became impossible to stand by him. Fans had "your job now is to..." fresh in their minds from Fergie's valedictory speech. Even on here, he was given a pretty long leash when it came to his settling in period and very few gave him the 'middle finger approach' as you call it.

mu4c_20le

always an easy target here but he's a proper EPL manager despite his failure with United. delighted for him.
Reminds me of Rodgers. Bit of a clown but if the players buy into him then he'll get results.