David Moyes West Ham Manager (Again) | European Champion

Walters_19_MuFc

Managing Man Utd is the hardest job in the world. Moyes, as we've seen, isnt the first manager to have underachieved during his time here.

Nevertheless, he's doing a phonomenal job at West Ham - a team I really enjoy watching these days. Solid, hard to beat and great on the counter. Fair play to him.

stevoc

Moyes didn't get 3 years and 300mil because it was immediately post-Ferguson and the club thought they were still entitled to win the trophies and panicked as soon as the wheels started coming off.
No it was because he lead a team that hadn't finished outside the top 3 in 20 years to 7th failing to even qualify for Europe for the first time in over 30 years. It's that simple he failed so he got fired. It was down to him that he didn't get more time.

I bring up Solskjaer because it seems like you think the only difference between them as coaches is the fact that Moyes won the Community Shield and Ole has not, which takes us back to the overall disrespect of David Moyes. So, you are either very ignorant, which it seems is what everyone else thinks in this thread, or you are an opposition fan and a troll, which I think.
:lol:

Yeah I've been posting regularly on here since 2011 in an elaborate wind-up in the hope that one day United hire Moyes at some point, he fails miserably just so years after that I can take the piss out of some eejit defending him.

Yes, given Fellaini doesn't mean that he didn't necessarily want him, but that after failing to get Bale, Fabregas, Kross and Contreao, he had to make do with what couldn't have been his prime target. You need an English lesson just as much you need a football one. And English isn't even my first language.
:lol:

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
What a team he’s built at West Ham. They are wonderful to watch - a great advert for what is achievable through great coaching and humble players who are willing to learn.

I’m absolutely chuffed for him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
What a team he’s built at West Ham. They are wonderful to watch - a great advert for what is achievable through great coaching and humble players who are willing to learn.

I’m absolutely chuffed for him.
This job is his MO, a club where mid table is considered decent with anything above and beyond above a bonus. I'm surprised it took him this long to get another similar job to his one at Everton, infact in hindsight Everton themselves should have got him back at the point they appointed all their post Koeman managers.

It would however be a mistake If another big team/club take a punt on him, he's simply not cut out for the constant pressure of needing to win every week and we even saw a glimpse of that at the back end of last season when West Ham faltered as soon as they started to get heavily tipped for 4th (due to their 'easier' fixture list).

LawmanMan

This job is his MO, a club where mid table is considered decent with anything above and beyond above a bonus. I'm surprised it took him this long to get another similar job to his one at Everton, infact in hindsight Everton themselves should have got him back at the point they appointed all their post Koeman managers.

It would however be a mistake If another big team/club take a punt on him, he's simply not cut out for the constant pressure of needing to win every week and we even saw a glimpse of that at the back end of last season when West Ham faltered as soon as they started to get heavily tipped for 4th (due to their 'easier' fixture list).
Your point is flawed. For one, Everton is a far bigger club than Chelsea. Another is that he never got long enough here to see if he would have been a success. The fact is, Sir Alex and Sir Bobby felt he deserved more time to establish himself. Sadly loud mouths and prats with planes held more sway with our absolute disaster of a CEO.

MoskvaRed

Let’s disregard the United history for a moment (it’s clear Moyes should never have been appointed and deserved to be sacked, even though he is much more accomplished than the current Norwegian league alumnus and friend of SAF). This West Ham episode is a great comeback story after a miserable run at Real Sociedad and Sunderland and even the first stint at West Ham.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Another is that he never got long enough here to see if he would have been a success.
He took a title winning team to 7th place (below where he had/has Everton and West Ham) and was saying stuff (like "we aspire to be like City" and "hopefully we make it hard for them") which were big giveaways that he was struggling to adjust to the shift in expectations (if the results weren't enough proof).

Same with Roy, miracle worker at Fulham, WBA and Palace but was out of his depth at Liverpool and the national side. Like with players, some managers have a natural level/niche, nothing wrong with that.

AneRu

I agreed with the decision to sack him, things had turned toxic and I never supported his appointment in the first place but I have always wondered whether we would have spent the last eight years in the wilderness if we had stuck with him? He did have plans, had the Shaw, Herrera and Kroos deals lined up and the players who had turned on him didn't survive LVG too.

With hindsight I think three more years under him wouldn't have been as disastrous as what we went on to experience. That's not to say he wasnt a complete failure but I think he would have done a better job building a team than Van Gaal and Mourinho.

Edit - this isn't a reaction to his recent success but it's something that's been nagging me since Mourinho, would we have done any worse if we had kept him? I also think that his spell in Spain and at Sunderland shouldn't be considered because he was very much a broken man thenm

LawmanMan

He took a title winning team to 7th place (below where he had/has Everton and West Ham) and was saying stuff (like "we aspire to be like City" and "hopefully we make it hard for them") which were big giveaways that he was struggling to adjust to the shift in expectations (if the results weren't enough proof).

Same with Roy, miracle worker at Fulham, WBA and Palace but was out of his depth at Liverpool and the national side. Like with players, some managers have a natural level/niche, nothing wrong with that.
What Moyes said was accurate. We fell behind Man City big time, and the sticking plasters had allowed the wound of substandard squad development to fester. The fact some fans did not like to hear the truth does not make it less valid. The squad was simply not good enough, and he was not given the resources to fix it. LVG was, but he totally decimated the squad and filled it with dreck.

Roy Hodgson was in no way out of his depth at Liverpool. He was again someone in the wrong place at the wrong time. The fact he was very good at Inter Milan, a major European club, shows he can manage at that level. His England record is mediocre, but this is the case with almost every England manager.

Moyes is great as an underdog, getting a team to punch above their weight but no pressure if they drop off and revert to type.

The idiotic things he did at United still irk me, because he set the club back years. However, it's a nice football story for the guy who was a down and out loser to make a comeback and enjoy some relative success.

C'est Moi Cantona

Very happy to see him doing fantastically elsewhere, whilst still having no regrets whatsoever that we sacked him when we did.

Paul_Scholes18

I thought he would get sacked last year, but he is doing a great job.

They play good football and are solid at defending. He is improving the players they got as well.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Very happy to see him doing fantastically elsewhere, whilst still having no regrets whatsoever that we sacked him when we did.
Don’t you think that maybe he just wasn’t ready for a team the size of united given he was replacing a mgr who won quite a bit? Moyes has been around since then and united aren’t the juggernaut they used to be. There’s no doubt he can come in and do the job. If I was the board I would be looking in his direction if they plan on dropping Ole.

InfiniteBoredom

Don’t you think that maybe he just wasn’t ready for a team the size of united given he was replacing a mgr who won quite a bit? Moyes has been around since then and united aren’t the juggernaut they used to be. There’s no doubt he can come in and do the job. If I was the board I would be looking in his direction if they plan on dropping Ole.
He was begging the senior players to show him how to win at Utd.

There’s no shame in admitting that you have a ceiling. Utd then or now is a step too far for him.

Fridge chutney

This has to be a wum

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
He was begging the senior players to show him how to win at Utd.

There’s no shame in admitting that you have a ceiling. Utd then or now is a step too far for him.
Seriously? The landscape has changed. It’s just not the same and I think for the better. The league is so tight and teams are beating each other left and right. United are never going to be the dominant force in football again but they will always have the money to buy great talent just like now. Moyes was in over his head but has shown that he is more than ready. If some rumors are true I believe he should be a serious contender should a change be made. But most likely united will do the right thing and keep Ole in place to see if he can turn this thing around. After all he has the talent and backing to get it done.

InfiniteBoredom

Seriously? The landscape has changed. It’s just not the same and I think for the better. The league is so tight and teams are beating each other left and right. United are never going to be the dominant force in football again but they will always have the money to buy great talent just like now. Moyes was in over his head but has shown that he is more than ready. If some rumors are true I believe he should be a serious contender should a change be made. But most likely united will do the right thing and keep Ole in place to see if he can turn this thing around. After all he has the talent and backing to get it done.
Has shown that he is more than ready for what? Did he manage any superstar since? Did he manage with the expectation of winning the vast majority of games since? Did he manage with the expectation of competing for major honours every season since?

All he has done since leaving United is bumbling about and failing, until he could settle in an environment similar to the one he had at Everton and operate in a relatively pressure free environment. Do you think he can survive a dressing room with Cristiano Ronaldo in it, someone who had no issue defying even Jose Mourinho?

I know you Pool fans are loving life right now and giving it large over our demise, but just ask yourself if you would take Roy back and you have your answer.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Has shown that he is more than ready for what? Did he manage any superstar since? Did he manage with the expectation of winning the vast majority of games since? Did he manage with the expectation of competing for major honours every season since?

All he has done since leaving United is bumbling about and failing, until he could settle in an environment similar to the one he had at Everton and operate in a relatively pressure free environment. Do you think he can survive a dressing room with Cristiano Ronaldo in it, someone who had no issue defying even Jose Mourinho?
Yes,yes I do. And the board should too if they lose their nerve and get rid of their current mgr. He’s a perfect fit

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
How this WUM survived the cull is beyond me. Terrible post.

InfiniteBoredom

Yes,yes I do. And the board should too if they lose their nerve and get rid of their current mgr. He’s a perfect fit
Perfect fit to keep United perennially chasing top 4. You would love that, wouldnt you?

We will get it right someday, or Newcastle and City will send both you and us to the dustbin of history. Enjoy your moment in the sun.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is doing fantastic job at West Ham amd also would be fool to leave the job in search of bigger one. Sometimes the job is a perfect fit like how it was at Everton and then he struggled for years before he found the perfect job.

They play good football too, credit to him for bouncing back after so many set backs.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
How this WUM survived the cull is beyond me. Terrible post.
It’s a Sunday night after a shite weekend of football. So there. But I do think Moyes is an upgrade. A man with a plan so to speak.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
He is doing fantastic job at West Ham amd also would be fool to leave the job in search of bigger one. Sometimes the job is a perfect fit like how it was at Everton and then he struggled for years before he found the perfect job.

They play good football too, credit to him for bouncing back after so many set backs.
Agreed. He was decent at Everton and has WH playing some very good football.
He should stay the course there to see where it takes him.

Needham

Moyes, Pearce and Noble. Sounds like an elite firm of unbeaten establishment lawyers.
Solskjaer, Phelan and Carrick. Newbies in the adult entertainment industry.

Red Star One

No doubt he’s been phenomenal for West Ham. Team looks really inspired and believing they can challenge for top4, fair play to him.

TheLiverBird

Just goes to show football management is all about ingredients.

Moyes was the wrong ingredient at United, Sunderland, Sociedad, he didn’t compliment the Team, staff, owners, and fans perhaps.

A string of bad moves for Moyes and many claimed he was done at any decent level.

He’s the key ingredient at West Ham, a great addition that has just “worked”

Good on him

stevoc

I agreed with the decision to sack him, things had turned toxic and I never supported his appointment in the first place but I have always wondered whether we would have spent the last eight years in the wilderness if we had stuck with him? He did have plans, had the Shaw, Herrera and Kroos deals lined up and the players who had turned on him didn't survive LVG too.

With hindsight I think three more years under him wouldn't have been as disastrous as what we went on to experience. That's not to say he wasnt a complete failure but I think he would have done a better job building a team than Van Gaal and Mourinho.

Edit - this isn't a reaction to his recent success but it's something that's been nagging me since Mourinho, would we have done any worse if we had kept him? I also think that his spell in Spain and at Sunderland shouldn't be considered because he was very much a broken man thenm
In the 3 years following Moyes we won 3 trophies and qualified for the CL twice (missing out the 3rd time due to GD). Neither of those things would have happened under Moyes.

Fair play to him he's did well to get back to where he was a decade ago after 3 disastrous jobs in a row. But lets be honest he's hardly performing miracles at West Ham either he managed the club with the 8th biggest wage bill in the league to a 6th place finish. He did the same at Everton, finishing 8h-6th, the odd 5th is his ceiling and it likely always will be.

AneRu

In the 3 years following Moyes we won 3 trophies and qualified for the CL twice (missing out the 3rd time due to GD). Neither of those things would have happened under Moyes.

Fair play to him he's did well to get back to where he was a decade ago after 3 disastrous jobs in a row. But lets be honest he's hardly performing miracles at West Ham either he managed the club with the 8th biggest wage bill in the league to a 6th place finish. He did the same at Everton, finishing 8h-6th, the odd 5th is his ceiling and it likely always will be.
Like I said I am not defending his role here, we were totally justified sacking him but it's just a feeling I had over the years. That doesn't mean I think could have won trophies here but that we would have had a more directed rebuild and probably got more value.

He did a lot of stupid things here but I don't think that fifth would have remained his ceiling here, given the license that LVG had. The players themselves had lots to answer for, be it attitude or natural decline amongst a host of factors. It wasn't completely his fault but as the leader the buck stops with him.

TheGame

Bit of a ridiculous comment. He turned Everton from team which battled relegation into a team regularly competing in the top 6 and on the cusp of CL football. He's invested smartly at West Ham and got them being consistent. You can have all the wages in the world but it's not a case that it's reflected back on the field without effective management. Whilst CL football may be a step too far, they have been playing really well this season. 1,000 games as a manager under his belt.

Whilst it didn't go well for him at United in the first season I admit, he's bounced back well and not led it define him.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Isn't it about time that we on this forum gave David Moyes credit for what he has and is again achieving in football management.
After his unsuccessful time at United, he was defined by that time.
And he then had further difficulties at Sunderland and abroad.

But his previous and latest spell at West Ham should remind us that he is actually a pretty good football manager.
So let's give the guy the credit that he deserves, instead of continually criticising him for his time here.