David Ornstein: Man Utd want to keep Marcus Rashford | Consideration of sale if Rashford wants to take on a new challenge or a substantial bid arrives

Valencia Shin Crosses

Do you really believe he's lazy or have you just been fooled by TUS and their ilk?

Ah yes, the "carrying an injury" excuse that always pops up when a popular player starts going to shit. Also that tweet is shite as it doesn't mention his inability/unwillingness to press from the front (a much bigger issue than tracking back), go into any sort of duels (shys away from all of them), or just his general lack of efficiency still being as poor as ever 8 years into being a starting forward in the PL.

As has been discussed before, you can get away with being essentially a 0 out of possession if you're putting up Mbappe numbers in the final third. But when you aren't even close, it just becomes a gaping hole in the starting XI when trying to instill a tactical balance and cohesive team. It's not worth compensating that balance for a player that might get to 25+ G/A every other season in the most inefficient way possible.

RedDevil@84

If he won’t push, we won’t shove. I can see why he stays — the likelihood of him getting an optimal move is low, and next season surely can’t be worse — for him or the club.
Of course. The money is good.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
My bad, Pablo. Miss the good'ol days, huh? Back in the day you could just shoot people but now you have to trawl message boards to shoot nonsense at other people.

Lo siento, Señor. I'll try to un-enjoy his debut goals against Arsenal or that goal against PSG or the goal last season against City, and many more over the last 6-7 years.
Depends what you want. Titles or circus. Since I moved from Colombia, I chose titles, you seem to like drama and circus

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He will only elect to leave if we stop playing him and he gets offered more money elsewhere.

Even if Real or PSG came and matched his wages, he wouldnt go. He knows he has it easy here and gets a free ride from the club and from the press and largely from the fans too.
There's permanently 2 or 3 threads on the front page rinsing the shit out of him .... wtf are you talking about?

I Am Zlatan

I wouldn’t mind keeping him another season, yes he’s been dreadful this season, but so is most of the squad, I would keep him another season and reassess.

Malons

It's more his attitude than his performances that I think it's imperative he goes. To pharaphase Roy Keane, how can you look around the dressing room and go into battle with someone who will decide on the day whether he's feeling up to being bothered? Nothing about him is a Manchester United player. We're under siege, his own personal reputation and commitment is regularly being questioned, the very least you'd expect is for a player who "bleeds red" to do is leave everything on the pitch. He hasn't done that in so long. He saunters around as if he's personally paying the laundry bill and doesn't want to crease his shirt too badly.

A good-time Charlie. When things are going well and he's talking to Kings, Queens and presidents and signing book deals and launching his own range of air fryers or whatever, pointing to his head - he'll do you a turn, no questions asked. Take that away his "Who me?" attitude towards hard work and showing some mettle on the football field, means he should be the first name out of the door. If only for the message it will send to the younger players of the standards expected at this club.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Selling Rashford is a statement as well as setting up incentives related to performance is another way of telling all players that standard needs to be met. All players should be on modest base salary, XI players would be more incentives on reaching cup final, champion league and finishing top 4. Being knock out of group stages and early rounds of cup games should also take a small hit of their salary with immediate effect, not next season. That way, players will likely put in more effort in winning rather than having a kick around with result doesn't matter.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Financial comfort zone.
I"ll let the whole country boo me every time i go to work if i am being paid the insane numbers he's paid. People blaming the fans for his horrible form are just stupid. I think if our next manager decide to sell Rashford and someone is interested enough it is akin to Fergie selling Paul Ince. There will be massive culture shift in the dressing room with him walking out of the door.

stepic

If he won’t push, we won’t shove. I can see why he stays — the likelihood of him getting an optimal move is low, and next season surely can’t be worse — for him or the club.
of course he doesn’t, no other big club will go near him

Remember the geese

"Recapturing his form". Like when he had to recapture his form last season, due to being useless the year before? Players of his salary and status do not recapture their form. They are consistently brilliant. He isn't and should be sold.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Depends what you want. Titles or circus. Since I moved from Colombia, I chose titles, you seem to like drama and circus
Yeah, saying that Rashford has given us a lot of moments to savor since his debut definitely points towards me wanting drama and circus. Having this exchange with your clownish posts just adds to the whole thing.

padzilla

Hipster
PSG, the only club likely to be able to match Rashford's wage demands, are said to not be interested.

What a surprise...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Let's keep all the non performing players and managers for the longest time possible. Cause we love it like that.
It’s what we do. It’s like we’re married to certain players and just can’t let go.

Leethal

Whilst the laziness irritates me, it’s the complete lack of aggression that frustrates me the most.

If there’s a ball to be won, he doesn’t even challenge and just cedes possession. Fanny.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Yeah, saying that Rashford has given us a lot of moments to savor since his debut definitely points towards me wanting drama and circus. Having this exchange with your clownish posts just adds to the whole thing.
If you want to have success you need to evaluate the present. We win nothing based on past performances if that form or attitude cannot be replicated again. There is no real pressure to perform at United anymore, hence the players have adapted and it shows on the pitch. If we want to be a top club again, we have to have that approach again, and sell players who are not delivering anymore. If that approach is clownish to you, you uave no clue what a successful club needs to do

downunder red

Personally I don't think Rashford has the balls to go to another club, especially an overseas club. He has had it too comfortable at United and knows he has and can get away with the tripe he's dished up. He's already set for life and wont dare playing in front of fans that will let him know how crap he can be. Believe me he ain't going nowhere.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
If you want to have success you need to evaluate the present. We win nothing based on past performances if that form or attitude cannot be replicated again. There is no real pressure to perform at United anymore, hence the players have adapted and it shows on the pitch. If we want to be a top club again, we have to have that approach again, and sell players who are not delivering anymore. If that approach is clownish to you, you uave no clue what a successful club needs to do
Yeah because that's what I said in my post that made you apoplectic. Go read it again and then come back. I can't argue with made up scenarios in your head.

clarkydaz

Personally I don't think Rashford has the balls to go to another club, especially an overseas club. He has had it too comfortable at United and knows he has and can get away with the tripe he's dished up. He's already set for life and wont dare playing in front of fans that will let him know how crap he can be. Believe me he ain't going nowhere.
Agree entirely.

Houdini

I’d be 100% fine with us pretending like we’re doing a FIFA rebuild for a bit.
And at the same time he says there will be 3 key signings this summer. I guess those are CM/CBs. So how are we going to replace the likes of Bruno, Dalot, Rashford, Shaw, Oanana? With average players? This looks like a BS to me.

davidmichael

I think the most annoying part it all of this is how our ridiculous board and negotiations team decided to give Rashford the insane contract he’s on and this is something that needs to stop with immediate effect, it’s one reason why people still want to join us as they know we’ll pay top money whilst accepting sub par performances although I don’t think Ratcliffe and his team will.

Personally I don’t think he’s going anywhere this summer as it’s likely we’ll move Martial, Greenwood, Sancho and attempt to move on Antony all this summer which would leave us really short up top but I do think Rashford will be told that next season is make or break and if his performances and effort isn’t massively improved he’ll be out the door regardless of stature or name value.

justsomebloke

And at the same time he says there will be 3 key signings this summer. I guess those are CM/CBs. So how are we going to replace the likes of Bruno, Dalot, Rashford, Shaw, Oanana? With average players? This looks like a BS to me.
We shouldn't replace the likes of Bruno, Dalot, Shaw and Onana at all. They're all keepers, as far as I'm concerned. That some even consider that a possibility with someone like Bruno is absurd. As for Rashford, I think they've pitched that just right - if he wants to leave and someone comes in with a good offer, then maybe.

There's obviously lots to do with this squad, but there's an order of priority here. Firstly they have to figure out what to do with the two big question marks - Greenwood and Sancho. Sancho has another two years, and FFP-wise it would probably be best to loan him out again unless they want to reintegrate him. With Greenwood, decision time is now.

Then there's a few they have to cut loose. Martial and Amrabat obviously and automatically, Donny and IMO Eriksen, for whom there simply is no meaningful space given his present level of play. Probably Hannibal too, who I struggle to see will ever make this team.

Then there's the players who aren't good fits or is most in need of upgrading - IMO Malacia, Varane, Lindelof, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Casemiro and Antony. And possibly Rashford, if he wants to leave and there's big money interest. Realistically, just a few of those are going to happen and they all generally require replacement if they leave, so it depends on FFP and transfer funds.

No one else should be a priority for this summer.

And then it must be remembered that all of this is further complicated by any decision to change the manager, and not least by how Berrada, Wilcox, Ashworth and co views the club's stylistic profile.

Last edited:

Prodigal7

Yeah agree with this 100%

Melville Red

I'm interpreting that completely different than you, but I think you're seeing it how they want it to be seen. Ie he's for sale but we're not letting him go for cheap.
However everyone and his dog can plainly see that Rashford is not worth the money Utd are quoting. It’s a strange way of running a club, rewarding the player with a bad attitude and terrible performances by openly saying we are willing to except offers for everyone but we want Rashford to stay and don’t expect him to leave.

Balljy

However everyone and his dog can plainly see that Rashford is not worth the money Utd are quoting. It’s a strange way of running a club, rewarding the player with a bad attitude and terrible performances by openly saying we are willing to except offers for everyone but we want Rashford to stay and don’t expect him to leave.
That's a pretty normal negotiation tactic when you want to maximise the money you get surely? You sound out for a higher figure than they're worth and say you are happy to keep them, if you didn't say the latter everybody would know he's available for a bargain price.

Rockets Redglare

It actually makes me feel a bit sad that it’s come to this with Rashford. He’s a local lad and I think most fans would have loved to see him stay at United for the rest of his career if his form had continued from last season.
Unfortunately this has not been the case, and I think his time here should be coming to an end.

I echo the sentiment made by a lot of other posters that he has it too easy and doesn’t seem like the sort of player who would want to prove himself elsewhere, especially as he hasn’t even had the drive or personal pride to put the effort in at his childhood club.

justsomebloke

A highly relevant question here is FFP impact of transfers. If I've understood correctly, we end up with a loss FFP wise unless the transfer sum received plus the wages saved next season is bigger than the remaining book value (purchase transfer fee divided by number of years in the contract, with remaining years of the original contract added up). On that basis, this is how the FFP break-even point looks if a given player is sold this summer. Ie, this is the smallest transfer sum we need in order to not make a loss and thus worsen our FFP situation. Assuming that no wages are taken on for the player sold, and that values are written down before the option year of the initial contract. Figures in paranthesis is remaining book value and annual wages (as listed on Capology, which may not be entirely accurate, but it gives us some idea at least). Anything received above that sum should be additional profit, FFP-wise.

Tyrell Malacia: (3.2m/3.9m): Improvement of ~500K + any transfer sum
Raphael Varane: (10m/17.68m): Improvement of ~ 8 million + any transfer sum
Harry Maguire: (13.3 m/9.9m): ~3 million
Victor Lindelof: (0/6.24m): Improvement of ~6 million + any transfer sum
Aaron Wan-Bissaka: (0/4.7m): Improvement of ~5 million + any transfer sum
Casemiro: (35 m/18.2m): ~17 million
Christian Eriksen: (0/7.8m): Improvement of ~8 million + any transfer sum
Marcus Rashford: (0/15.6m): Improvement of ~15 million + any transfer sum
Donny vd Beek: (5m/4.7m): Improvement equal to transfer sum
Jadon Sancho: ( 29.2m/18.2m): 11m
Antony: (51.6m/10.4m): 41m
Mason Greenwood: (0/3.9m): Improvement of ~4 million + any transfer sum

The departures of Martial and Amrabat improves FFP by their wages saved - 13 and 3.4m respectively.

That really doesn't look bad? At least, FFP impact shouldn't stand in the way of most of what we need to do in the way of outgoings. The only player for whom it looks difficult to reach the FFP break even threshold is Antony. Or have I misunderstood something here?