David Silva statue will be built at Etihad stadium

RedDevil@84

What about that goal scorer bloke from a few years ago, he should have a statue or something too.
Not a legend yet. When they are done putting statues of all their legends, it may look like a mini- Saint Peter's square

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Giggs and Scholes should probably have one at OT but don’t, because between the holy trinity, Sir Matt and Sir Alex it’s kind of been done. Maybe if we didn’t have any legends already we’d be in a rush to appoint some.

Gee Male

I'm still struggling with why everyone seems to rate him so highly. When did he gain this reputation, can someone point me to a spell where he was the best player around?

He has been PL player of the month once.

He has been City's player of the year, their internal award, once. Richard Dunne has won that four times. Where's his statue?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'm still struggling with why everyone seems to rate him so highly. When did he gain this reputation, can someone point me to a spell where he was the best player around?

He has been City's player of the year, their internal award, once. Richard Dunne has won that four times. Where's his statue?
In fairness, Richard Dunne was up against Nedum Onuoha, not Sergio Aguero. He’s a top player, he’s always been in or around the top 5 in the league. To do that for a decade is a great achievement.

Dansk

So essentially you're saying a club that's never been big can't have statues? (Apart from whether or not Silva in particular deserves one for City.)
I'm saying that if the best candidate they can think of is someone who was pretty good for ten years and then left without doing anything seriously memorable, they shouldn't be erecting statues yet. Don't make statues just for the sake of having statues, that's a pathetic wannabe move. That's a "we wanna be a big club too!" thing and it's embarrassing for them. Make statues once there are players deserving of them. Celebrating a player with a statue is supposed to mean something more than "I reckon he's been one of our best players since we got bought."

David Silva is the kind of player that noone except older City fans will think about ten years from now, same category as people like Dzeko or Giroud, one of those players who were good but just never really did anything except loiter somewhere amongst the best ten or twenty players in the league. And while ten years is quite a while to stay at one club in this day and age, it's hardly outstanding. Really, the more I think about it, erecting a statue of David fecking Silva really just says everything that needs to be said about MCFC and their fabric as a club.

It's like if we put up a statue of Michael Carrick.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Paul Scholes has never won POTY for United. Scholes has also only been in the PL TOTY twice in his career, the same as Silva. Awards aren't always a great example of judging a player or the club they are at - Henderson winning that award this year should tell you that.

In any regard, Silva has been that type of player for City though, Scholes-esque in terms of controlling games for them, the tempo, the calmness. You can see it in their game now, especially against Lyon that they missed his calm presence. De Bruyne is bloody excellent but Silva offers that calm presence to the midfield that is difficult to reproduce. 11-12 he had the most assists in the league with 17, he's been fantastic for them and one of the best players of 2010-2020.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Probably their greatest ever PL player. I’m not gonna mock it, he deserves it.

Should be a joint one with Kompany, Toure & Aguero

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just seen he's signed for Real Sociedad!!

La Real my Spanish team and this is an incredible replacement for Odegaard really. They've made some brilliant signings in last 12 months when you think Isak is worth about four times what they signed him for and Merino had a very good season aswell.

Will be a big threat in europa league.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'm saying that if the best candidate they can think of is someone who was pretty good for ten years and then left without doing anything seriously memorable, they shouldn't be erecting statues yet. Don't make statues just for the sake of having statues, that's a pathetic wannabe move. That's a "we wanna be a big club too!" thing and it's embarrassing for them. Make statues once there are players deserving of them. Celebrating a player with a statue is supposed to mean something more than "I reckon he's been one of our best players since we got bought."

David Silva is the kind of player that noone except older City fans will think about ten years from now, same category as people like Dzeko or Giroud, one of those players who were good but just never really did anything except loiter somewhere amongst the best ten or twenty players in the league. And while ten years is quite a while to stay at one club in this day and age, it's hardly outstanding. Really, the more I think about it, erecting a statue of David fecking Silva really just says everything that needs to be said about MCFC and their fabric as a club.

It's like if we put up a statue of Michael Carrick.
That makes more sense to me, but previously, you said stuff like 'Normally you erect statues of players who were not only club legends but also legendary figures of the sport as a whole, like captaining their national team or something.' By that logic, a club that never made it big (Bournemouth, say) would never be able to put up a statue. It seems a little arrogant and elitist to me to think that way. I would suggest that, if the player has been particularly important for the history of a club (for whatever reason), then honouring him/her makes sense - with a statue if that's what they like.

Again, I'm not saying Silva fits that mould. I can't assess the importance of his contribution to the history of City, but I'd think you'd wait until he is retired from football at least. In any case though, I was rather responding to the general point you seemed to make than the specific case of Silva.

Tyrion

It makes sense considering their history started in 2008.

Was he that much better than Augero and Kompany?
Imo, no. I think Silva is pretty overrated. It could be my United bias but I doubt it as I think that Aguero and Kompany were better.

If we made a statue for players who'd done as much for us as Silva did for them, we'd have >50.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
This might get more laughs but instead of having a statue of Silva I think they should have one of Kompany, Silva and Aguero as a trio. They have defined this 'era' for City and have been the players that have been the core for it.
I think this would have been their best bet , with the inclusion of Yaya. By having just the one player represented it causes issues about which other players deserve one and when at future times, whereas the quartet would be representative of a certain time period and one worth celebrating. There's a statue of Ivor Allchurch outside the liberty, not because of his importance to the footballing world in general but because of his importance to Swansea. The quartert are very important to the history of City.

diarm

The issue here is that if they give Silva a statue, they're going to have to name the stadium after Aguero. Then a couple of years later what are they going to do with De Bruyne? Name the club after him?

Bet they regret not giving Pellegrini a statue for that CL semi final in hindsight.

Dante

Average bang
Silva and Kompany are getting statues, Aguero’s will be announced when he leaves but he’s getting one too.

Must say, I find the cavalier way people refer to ‘the Arabs’ on the first page disconcerting. Imagine rival fans joking about statues for ‘the Jews’ who own United.
I agree with you on this.

Chief123

To be fair it’s not hard to become a city “legend” considering they have been dog shit before the Arab owners arrived. All of the legends of their club have been in the last 10 years!

Chief123

If Sancho comes to Utd, we should build a statue of him and plonk it outside the Etihad stadium as a thank you.

Champagne Football

Such a tinput club, yeah he's been good for them, but you dont see us putting up statues for Vidic and Irwin...
They are Champions League winners, treble winners etc. Silva getting a statue smacks of a club fabricating the richness of their history achieved to push commercial interests. If they win the Champions League and De Bruyne wins the Ballon D'Or that same season then yeah he could one day be entitled to a statue.

A more apt example would probably be Owen or Fowler getting a statue at Liverpool as they never won the big one but still had good careers. But to give them a statue would be laughable to Pool fans but Pool fans like Utd fans understand what it would take for a player to deserve a title. Dalglish or Gerrard perhaps but anyone else no chance.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
They are Champions League winners, treble winners etc. Silva getting a statue smacks of a club fabricating the richness of their history achieved to push commercial interests. If they win the Champions League and De Bruyne wins the Ballon D'Or that same season then yeah he could one day be entitled to a statue.

A more apt example would probably be Owen or Fowler getting a statue at Liverpool as they never won the big one but still had good careers. But to give them a statue would be laughable to Pool fans but Pool fans like Utd fans understand what it would take for a player to deserve a title. Dalglish or Gerrard perhaps but anyone else no chance.
Should only the very best teams in the world be allowed to memorialise a player?

Ace

Feels a bit early to be building statues of anybody. If anybody deserves one at some point in the future it probably should be Aguero.
Him celebrating winning the league against QPR is probably fitting of a statue if I’m honest. Surely their biggest moment in club history, right?

Champagne Football

Should only the very best teams in the world be allowed to memorialise a player?
Silly question, of course not. All teams should be allowed have statues for ex players, and the minimum criteria for a player from a top 4 team in England getting their own statue should be that they won at least 3 league titles, 1 Champions league, and 1 Ballod D'Or. So Cristiano would be the only one from Utd that would qualify, but he lost his chance to get one by demanding a move to Madrid which effectively ruled out that chance.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Silly question, of course not. All teams should be allowed have statues for ex players, and the minimum criteria for a player from a top 4 team in England getting their own statue should be that they won at least 3 league titles, 1 Champions league, and 1 Ballod D'Or. So Cristiano would be the only one from Utd that would qualify, but he lost his chance to get one by demanding a move to Madrid which effectively ruled out that chance.
I think it's fair to have certain standards before rewarding a player with a statue, but from the criteria you listed it would exclude someone like Henry at Arsenal and I personally feel his statue is justified. I think it has more to about the competition from within the club. United have such a vast history and a pretty incredible roll call of players that it makes sense for them to have such a high bar. Even in very recent memory you have the likes of Giggs, Scholes and Rooney in the last 10 years who have left, who had they played for another club would very likely be in the discussion to be immortalised in some fashion. It's just that at United there's such insane competition and standards. So I think most other clubs can lower the bar to some extent.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They should build it with Kompany & Aguero together as the trio and then behind them build a big gold statue of Sheikh Mansour and money floating around him :lol: (if that’s even possible)

patty123

If that's was the quota well then Best or Law wouldn't have one.

clarkydaz

Meh, season ticket holders get a statue for attending every home game in a season. Nobody has quite climbed the mountain yet

Cloud7

I think we're being a bit small time by mocking this really. For all intents and purposes City as a club were reborn when they got taken over. During that time, Silva, Aguero and Kompany have been their three absolute best players. Silva and Aguero in particular have been two of the best players to grace the PL in my opinion. They've been the biggest part of those initial titles that were won pre-Guardiola. I don't see anything wrong in honoring them with a statue. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Aguero eventually put up. Surprised they didn't do one with Kompany.

Not every club is as lucky as ours to have such a rich history of legends. Nothing wrong with their more recent players being heralded the same way we think of some figures from our past.

Cloud7

The elitism of our fanbase is nauseating at times. It really is.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I'm in the camp where there's nothing wrong with the statue as a concept, but the timing is a bit odd.

Whoever suggested a statue of Kompany, Aguero and Silva together had the best idea. Unveil that in 10, 15, 20 years, get them all together again for the unveiling - class.
Sure, in comparison to some legends of other, more established elite clubs, it looks like they've set the bar low, but regardless of whether future players eclipse their achievements, those 3 were the ones that led the the team when City established them as a major club. That's why those 3 as a unit should be honoured with a statue.

The problem with giving them out individually is that it does set the bar a bit too low. As an individual, Silva was a class player, but more influential than Kompany and Aguero? I wouldn't say so. There will likely be more players that outshine his individual contributions later down the line too. Do they get statues? It's a bit like Sane getting a tattoo of a meaningless goal in a CL group stage match. They're acting a bit too hasty to memorialise something that in isolation isn't that significant and has already - and will be in future - eclipsed by more significant things.

As a trio, there's no arguing that those 3 were the leading players that helped define the most successful era in City's history. Commemorate that.

Castia

Would have been better in a few years, especially as he’s still playing in la liga. No real problem for me with the statue, I’ve seen many city fans say he’s been their greatest ever player.

They obviously don’t have a big history it’s it’s fun to laugh at but these players are ‘legends’ in their eyes. They had feck all before the silva and aguero’s.

Pep's Suit

This might get more laughs but instead of having a statue of Silva I think they should have one of Kompany, Silva and Aguero as a trio. They have defined this 'era' for City and have been the players that have been the core for it.
Good idea and sounds like it's happening...