Davide Petrucci

PS18

Haven't heard anything about it. Seems like he went off very early in an Italy U19 game towards the end of January, and hasn't played since.

gulli_G

when will he be ready, what level is he when compared to macheda , wellbeck etc?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Whats wrong with the kid?, Supposed to be the bees knees. To us in the caf atleast!!
When I saw him he definitely looked like a real star in the making but at 16 he was already a tall lad. If he's had injury problems associated with growing then it's hardly surprising.
Let's hope he can overcome them.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
When I saw him he definitely looked like a real star in the making but at 16 he was already a tall lad. If he's had injury problems associated with growing then it's hardly surprising.
Let's hope he can overcome them.
Had massive potential, but its a bit worrying that he's been out for so long, which might hinder his development

Decotron

bit of a bump.....

Really hope his injury/growing pains issues are at an end this season. Hes gone off the radar somewhat which can only be a good thing imo. potentially a top player in the sense technically hes outstanding and if he manages to couple that with the work ethic thats required he could be something really special.

I was gona post a couple of youtube clips as a reminder of his talents but they've been taking down unfortunetly.

Name Changed

weso26
bit of a bump.....

Really hope his injury/growing pains issues are at an end this season. Hes gone off the radar somewhat which can only be a good thing imo. potentially a top player in the sense technically hes outstanding and if he manages to couple that with the work ethic thats required he could be something really special.

I was gona post a couple of youtube clips as a reminder of his talents but they've been taking down unfortunetly.
Completely agree. Is he fit yet? Will he feature in any reserve preseason friendlies?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Must be injured, wasn't involved in any way with the reserve friendlies and he's there full time now.

How long's he had these injuries for now, 18 months? Not dangerous for him yet, Eikrem's shown that we'll be patient, just have to cross our fingers that these injuries that we don't know much about aren't of the recurring type.

PS18

He's been full-time since he arrived fwiw.

His injuries are all to do with growth, although it's gone on worryingly long now.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
He's been full-time since he arrived fwiw.

His injuries are all to do with growth, although it's gone on worryingly long now.
Sorry, meant full time with the reserves, i.e. he can't play for the academy any more (other than as an overage player...I think).

Fergie mentioned recently that Welbeck was having growth issues too, I guess Davide's must've been/be pretty bad considering Danny's still been playing a decent amount.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Ignorant question: Is there a limit to the reserve squad -- both age (in view of teh recent new home grown ruling) and size?

PS18

Nope. To be honest there's not really a reserve squad as such, it's fluid, with players dropping down from the first team or stepping up from the 18s, going out on loan, coming back in.

Maroon Lucifer

Sorry for the bump, but I am a huge admirer of this guy.

Has anyone got any information on his physical state, i.e. is he training etc. I think I am getting MUTV soon so I can keep tabs on the academy.

Thanks

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
It's a bit of a concern how long Petrucci's been injured. He came back in January/February (i think) for a few games, only to suffer another set of injuries. Shame really, because he's a fantastic player to watch.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Hasnt played in ages, and noone seems to know the reason why he's been out for so long or when he's back

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It's amazing how highly some rate him. The reason I say that is we've barely seen him. Hopefully he will come back soon but is he closer to the first team then Pogba and maybe Ravel who's a similar type player now in the reserves? Both outstanding prospects

As I say, since I've been watching reserves/academy...i've barely seen him and it's a crying shame really but hopefully he'll get some academy/reserve games behind him this season and build on that

lysglimt

Scout
It's amazing how highly some rate him. The reason I say that is we've barely seen him. Hopefully he will come back soon but is he closer to the first team then Pogba and maybe Ravel who's a similar type player now in the reserves? Both outstanding prospects

As I say, since I've been watching reserves/academy...i've barely seen him and it's a crying shame really but hopefully he'll get some academy/reserve games behind him this season and build on that
Some of his skills and passes were outstanding. He could have gone all the way - now I think its too late even if I would love to be wrong about that one

Name Changed

weso26
Only judged against Macheda, Petrucci plays deeper and hasn't played consistently at reserve level - he's at least a year off the fringes of the 1st team
I'm not talking about their positions, I'm talking about their level of ability and ages, etc.

When I have seen Macheda and Petrucci play together, Petrucci has looked the superior player. He has so much ability and so much potential.

greater wall

The main thing for him is to be in a position to play football, if he is able to be fit after all the problems he has had then the talent is there so not playing for a couple of years would not be a problem. He is a young lad still and a lot of players pick up football injuries when they are 18 so him not playing is not unusual.
Just hoping that he can sort out his issues and get back soon because he has a great talent.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
He's missed a hell of a lot of football at a vital stage of his development - it's cost players in the past who have shown more than him.
Maybe, but it's ridiculously early to make such a bold statement.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
It's a bold statement to say that it's too late for an 18 year old.

I can not comprehend how you can dispute that, or why you're even bothering too.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

He came with a huge reputation from Rome and performed excellent for the Academy. Seems like injuries are stopping him though. Hope he puts it behind him soon and he gets going again

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Maybe, but it's ridiculously early to make such a bold statement.
Well it's not that bold a statement. There is no divine right for anyone to make it. We keep buying all the time, last season we added Paul Pogba who could be an immense prospect. We've Ryan Tunnicliffe who I love watching. He's a box to box midfielder who gives everything on the field. We've Ravel Morrison who's pushed on to reserves. We've Tom Cleverly who hopefully will build on last season

There are others. It's very difficult when you're out for so long not just to get back into it but to be better then very promising kids who are improving and who are getting more experience then you are. You need a manager to really believe your the shit. I could say that about quite a few of the kids we have.

Obviously he can still make it but it takes two and none of us really know what's going on. How's the boy feeling? He's missed a silly amount of football - but then again Fletcher had the mentality to overcome it and the belief of Sir Alex. It's impossible to say either way

As supporters I think we can all agree that the talent is here and that's reason to be optimistic

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Didn't Eikrem also miss alot of football early on? As well as other players like Gerrard mainly because of his growing pains? iirc the same problems Petrucci is facing..

I think as and when Petrucci makes his way back to fitness we will see Eikrem leave on loan.. I am not saying that the two events are completely co-related but that doesn't mean they aren't co-related at all..

MPTutd

Didn't Eikrem also miss alot of football early on? As well as other players like Gerrard mainly because of his growing pains? iirc the same problems Petrucci is facing..

I think as and when Petrucci makes his way back to fitness we will see Eikrem leave on loan.. I am not saying that the two events are completely co-related but that doesn't mean they aren't co-related at all..
Scholes hardly played between the ages of 16-18. Fletcher was the same. Missed almost two consecutive seasons through injury.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Scholes hardly played between the ages of 16-18. Fletcher was the same. Missed almost two consecutive seasons through injury.
Scholes played over 25 games in 1991/92, 1992/93 and 1993/94 when he was 16-18 years old. So to say he hardly played isn't true. In fact, he was a regular in the junior teams throughout that period with the odd spell out injured like most other lads.

Fletcher played over a dozen games when he arrived in Manchester in January 2000 until the end of the season.

He only played 2 games in 2000/01 when he had his most serious injury but was back in action in 2001/02 featuring in over 21 games and played 23 games in 2002/03.

It was the 2000/01 season that was the injury ridden year.

Petrucci has missed more games due to injury than Fletcher had as a junior.

lysglimt

Scout
I know he is 18 but he has been out for almost 1.5 year - I am willing to claim that 9 out of 10 players who loses that much football at such an important time in his career - wont make it at a topclub like ours. Sad but true.