Day 1: Brazil vs. Croatia

Status
Not open for further replies.

prateik

Any pre game press conferences? And when does the opening ceremony start?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Is Pranjic playing after all? If not who would play instead of him? Vrsaljko?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
@gooDevil

I know it's not United but the OP need's sprucing a little me thinks...

Odds
Odds for the game - Brazil Win (1/3) Croat Win (4/1) Draw (12/1) so they have Brazil at quite the favourite, may be worth a punt on the Croats IMO.

Injuries

I don't think Brazil have any, while Croatia has the suspended Mandzukic and Pranjic who is doubtful at this stage and I believe are waiting FIFA approval to call up for Badelj, if successfull is expected to join the squad Friday, still coming too late for this game.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
@gooDevil

I know it's not United but the OP need's sprucing a little me thinks...

Odds
Odds for the game - Brazil Win (1/3) Croat Win (4/1) Draw (12/1) so they have Brazil at quite the favourite, may be worth a punt on the Croats IMO.

Injuries

I don't think Brazil have any, while Croatia has the suspended Mandzukic and Pranjic who is doubtful at this stage and I believe are waiting FIFA approval to call up for Badelj, if successfull is expected to join the squad Friday, still coming too late for this game.
United match day threads rarely include odds or injury summaries, from my memory.

Plus when there are 4 matches in one day/OP it would look cluttered.

But you post is very welcome, glad to see Brazil are such strong favorites. I know much of Brazil is angry about the WC, but I still hope for a big Brazil win to get those attending the matches into a furor.

I just love the chanting and flags and makeup and all the stuff fans do to support their team in this tournament, adds so much to it.

(edit: how about a pic of the stadium instead?)

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
United match day threads rarely include odds or injury summaries, from my memory.

But you post is very welcome, glad to see Brazil are such strong favorites. I know much of Brazil is angry about the WC, but I still hope for a big Brazil win to get those attending the matches into a furor.

I just love the chanting and flags and makeup and all the stuff fans do to support their team in this tournament, adds so much to it.

It would be better if we have separate threads for separate matches instead of for each day. There's some matches I'll be putting on record and don't want to know the score of.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage

I'm sold... Well played Sir.

It would seem so, I would imagine the bookies basing that on the fact no SA team winning a SA cup before... A lot of the riots/ protests seem to have died down, everyone is focuing on the Qatar allagations I suppose, something new to be up in arms about... Follow the mob..:nervous:

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
It would be better if we have separate threads for separate matches instead of for each day. There's some matches I'll be putting on record and don't want to know the score of.
I feel for ya but I'm not sure that's a reason to complicate things for everyone. Threads for EPL matchdays always keep all the games in one thread and it seems superior there.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this one? Separate threads for each game or matchday threads?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I'm sold... Well played Sir.

It would seem so, I would imagine the bookies basing that on the fact no SA team winning a SA cup before... A lot of the riots/ protests seem to have died down, everyone is focuing on the Qatar allagations I suppose, something new to be up in arms about... Follow the mob..:nervous:
I'll be shocked if the protests don't step up during the games, the world will be watching and they would have maximum effect.

I love the WC, but food and education is more important, I don't mind the protesting one bit.

Señor

I feel for ya but I'm not sure that's a reason to complicate things for everyone. Threads for EPL matchdays always keep all the games in one thread and it seems superior there.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this one? Separate threads for each game or matchday threads?
Yeah, I get where your coming from but this is the World Cup, not a round of PL matches. And what, it'd only be two extra threads a day(three on two occasions) so it shouldn't be too complicated.

I saw a cached page of the last World Cup forum I think Damien put up, and they had individual match threads with each thread getting quite a few replies warranting their own thread.

I don't know, I guess it depends on what the majority want, as you've said.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Yeah, I get where your coming from but this is the World Cup, not a round of PL matches. I saw a cached page of the last World Cup forum I think Damien put up, and they had individual match threads with each thread getting quite a few replies warranting their own thread. I don't know, I guess it depends on what the majority want, as you've said.
Since none of the games overlap, like they do in and EPL matchday I figured it worked better for this. But one could also say that people will post regardless of how it's formatted.

If you're excited about the 3rd of 4 matches in a day and you want to chat about it, it could get lost in the middle of the chatter for another match, that would be a good reason to make separate threads.

Señor

Since none of the games overlap, like they do in and EPL matchday I figured it worked better for this. But one could also say that people will post regardless of how it's formatted.

If you're excited about the 3rd of 4 matches in a day and you want to chat about it, it could get lost in the middle of the chatter for another match, that would be a good reason to make separate threads.
And this is what will happen.

With no games overlapping until the third group of matches, it'd be the same if you made separate threads, only you'd be able to talk about lineups, injuries, etc without it getting lost as well as avoiding issues such as results and scores of other groups being revealed or talked about in the thread where people haven't watched the match, like me. :)

Donut

Those are really low odds on Brazil. Croatia is pretty good. Might put some money on Croatia +1 or +2.

::sonny::

Hura za Hrvatsku

Pletikosa
Vrsaljko Lovren Corluka Srna
Rakitic Modric
Perisic Kovacic Olic
Eduardo​

CrashDavis

Watched Brazil's last game and wasn't particularly impressed at all, although of course it was just a friendly. Still though, didn't really create a lot and this first match will be played in temperatures that won't effect the Croats too much. I suppose for the tournament you'd rather Brazil get off to a flyer.

LetMeRollIt

Referee is Nishimura. I have a feeling he won't be giving fouls to players who fall down casually.

gaucho_10

Referee is Nishimura.
He doesn't like to give yellow's, but he likes to give penalties, which is very interesting, because all pressure from Brazil will be on Modric. If he makes it until the end with no injury, we're good, but if Paulinho or any other Brazilian that likes to dive into tackles takes him out after he's been fouled 10 times and gets away without being booked, it will get very, very ugly on that pitch.

Nitsche

Think Brazil will struggle, and wouldn't be surprised if Croatia picked up a point at least.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Agree with @Señor

Each game should have a seperate thread, and anyone who is a tit and spoils other results in another thread should be reported/banned from the thread.

Last edited:

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Should be an easy win for Brazil. Too much talent for Croatia and that pivot of Rakitic/Modric will get horrendously exposed on the counter. Loss of Simunic and Mandzukic's suspension will hurt them massively.

Señor

Agree with @Señor

Each game should have a seperate thread, and anyone who is a tit and spoils other results in another thread should be reported/banned from the thread.
Agreed. I'm sure we're not the only ones, either, who won't be able to catch all the (good) matches live so it makes things easier/simpler for everyone.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
If you are no paranoid about being spoiled just stay of the forum. Why risk it all?

Status
Not open for further replies.