Day 1: Brazil vs. Croatia

Status
Not open for further replies.

margarito86

Just incase anyone cares.. my plans for the first two weeks of the world cup:

day 1:
-come in to work early and take an extended lunch (lunch time is at 12noon, game starts at 12 noon)

day 2:
-leave my home at 4am in an attempt to make it to last vegas by 9am and watch mexico vs cameroon (live in los angeles)

day 3,4:
-watch matchse in las vegas :D

day 5, 6, 7:
-work, will try to catch lunch time matches during lunch

day 8:
-off work, flying to brazil. Can only catch match #1

day 9:
fly through all the matches

day 10 - day 25:
- brazil fun :D

Lyricist

Croatia odds 11/1.

I think they stand a big chance. Brazil is under so much pressure and Croatia still has an amazing squad! People around the globe are heavily underrating Croatia.

2-2 or even a win for Croatia. That's what I'd like to see. :D
Would probably push Brazil to the other side of the bracket as well which I'd like! I have nothing against them and wouldn't mind them getting to lets say the semis but I'd love to see Croatia get something from this.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If you are no paranoid about being spoiled just stay of the forum. Why risk it all?
Some people enjoy discussion after games? If i've just watched Brazil-Croatia and want to discuss that game then i don't think it's much to ask that nobody spoils the Mexico-Cameroon game which i am yet to see.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Some people enjoy discussion after games? If i've just watched Brazil-Croatia and want to discuss that game then i don't think it's much to ask that nobody spoils the Mexico-Cameroon game which i am yet to see.
I know, but by discussing in here you are taking a risk of being spoiled. It's pretty much nailed on that someone will spoil the results. It happened on the FA cup final weekend despite people being warned not to.

NoPace

Tempting to just pick Brazil after their mauling of Spain, since Croatia are sort of a poor man`s Spain.

However, Modric`s ability to deal with pressing and Rakitic being probably the best through-ball passer in the world at this exact moment means they might be able to get one or two the other way.

Should be fun to watch.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I know, but by discussing in here you are taking a risk of being spoiled. It's pretty much nailed on that someone will spoil the results. It happened on the FA cup final weekend despite people being warned not to.
Then they'll get banned and there is less tits on the forum. Win win.

LetMeRollIt

I really hope so. How good is he? Is he strict or lenient with giving fouls and yellow cards?
He's strict about giving yellow cards IMO.

He doesn't like to give yellow's, but he likes to give penalties, which is very interesting, because all pressure from Brazil will be on Modric.
You must be talking about a different referee. In the WC South Africa he gave a second yellow card to the Brazilian player who stepped on the Dutch player, without hesitation, which generally earned him the reputation of not being lenient on bignames but of going by principles. I think he also gave out some cards in the Confererations Cup last year as well.

PakRed

Brazil should win this one, but I'm extremely excited about Croatia's technical quality in midfield and how they'll fare against Brazil's double pivot

mata10

Expect kovacic to shine. I think he will have a fantastic world cup. I think that croatia team look very good. Modric, rakitic, kovacic arr three very good midfielders the defense is good too. I havent watched any qualifiers but that team on paper should be able to give brazil problems. I think croats will draw. 1-1.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
If you are no paranoid about being spoiled just stay of the forum. Why risk it all?
It's not about paranoia. It's just an act of courtesy on the forum.

Of course there's nothing you can do about it when even match commentator's can spoil the other match - as happened on here on the last day of the PL/Liga season, but we can at least give each other a chance by having separate match threads.

gaucho_10

He's strict about giving yellow cards IMO.

You must be talking about a different referee. In the WC South Africa he gave a second yellow card to the Brazilian player who stepped on the Dutch player, without hesitation, which generally earned him the reputation of not being lenient on bignames but of going by principles. I think he also gave out some cards in the Confererations Cup last year as well.

We have a guy from UEFA ref committee talking about refs before each game on TV. That's how he described him. 3.5 yellows per game and a lot of penalties..

Players need to watch the elbows because the instruction is to give a yellow every time. The other instruction is to protect the best players.

Bergin

What is Croatia's most likely line-up? Will Kovacic start?

peanuthead

Croatia should beat Brazil but won't. Their goalie and defense isn't strong enough to withhold Brazil's attack for 90mins. Srna and Lovren are fine its the other two defenders that will let them down.

Becknaldolencia

I hope the group stage isn't boring this time like last WC. Plenty of teams are going to use "park the bus" formation against top teams so I expect few upsets in the group stage.

Sam

The World Cup is here! I feel all giddy like a kid at Christmas!

LetMeRollIt

We have a guy from UEFA ref committee talking about refs before each game on TV. That's how he described him. 3.5 yellows per game and a lot of penalties..
I see. Quick glance at the referee records his seem to be fairly average.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...mes-red-card-records-penalty-history-and-more

Players need to watch the elbows because the instruction is to give a yellow every time. The other instruction is to protect the best players.
Then perhaps Neymar will earn fouls for falling casually after all.

Baxter

I'm working till 9.45 so I'll probably manage to catch the second half. Seriously pissed off :(

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm working till 9.45 so I'll probably manage to catch the second half. Seriously pissed off :(
I am on early shifts a lot so I'm going to only be able to catch one game a night probably. :mad:

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Happy World Cup opening day!

Home win, 2-0. Scoreless at half time, monster monster monster!

Melvyn

prostate examiner
World Cup is finally here! Shame about the matches at ungodly hours for those living down under. Brazil to win 3-1.

JefferiesTube

My prediction depends on what midfield Scolari picks. If he goes with Gustavo and Paulinho as 2 of the 3 I think Croatia can win. If he picks a stronger midfield, then Brazil should win.

Ruht

I don't know whether to wake up at 4am and watch this. Not sure if I'd make it through the whole game so early. :(

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Wether you think they will win or not, at those odds thats a must bet.
That's not really how gambling works is it? If you don't think team A is going to beat team B, the odds for team A are irrelevant really.

Nanotron

That's not really how gambling works is it? If you don't think team A is going to beat team B, the odds for team A are irrelevant really.
Are you a proffessional gambler? I am not but I know this much, you bet when the bookie is wrong, thats the edge. Out of 12 games croatia would win at least 1 probably. That is how gambling works.

Revan

Assumptionman
Forca Hrvatska! Hope for a Croatia win but Brazil are favorites. On the other side Croatia is very good against big nations, so there might be up to a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.