Day 1: Opening Ceremony and Russia vs Saudi Arabia (Kick-off: 16h00 BST)

RedDevil@84

It is funny to watch football with a bunch of Americans who wake up to football every 4 years and then hold too much prejudice against Russia. They seem to believe that Putin fixed the match, hence the scoreline.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Firmly backing Egypt and Uruguay to proceed from this group, because both Russia and Saudi have been awful.
Egypt would need to beat Russia now, doubt draw would be enough unless they stick 3-4 past Saudi themselves.

No matter how poor Russia supposedly are they've still comfortably seen off the weakest team in the group and beating the home nation of the tournament is never easy.

Nickosaur

Wish there was another game tonight
Yeah, it's shit we only have this game on the opening day, bit of an anticlimatic start.

Uruguay v Egypt would have been good, Cavani and Suarez v Salah, but I'll be at work for that game tomorrow.

RedDevil@84

Saudi CBs are horrible. They stand their shocked when the ball keeps bouncing in the box

Sigma

Saudi Arabia are chronic. Spain, Germany, Argentina or Brazil would all score at least five against them.
They played Germany in a friendly a few days ago and it finished 2-1. They nearly scored an equaliser in the final few minutes.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
There's another one for anyone doing drinking games...Clive mentioning "Manchester United" in a game they're not playing in.

RoyH1

Saudi’s are going to get clobbered in this group. It’s hard to get a read on this Russia team when the opposition is so poor.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
This is some MLS level defending by Saudi Arabia. Shakin' my head.

I don't want Russia to win...but SA shouldn't have been there to begin with.

Jacko21

I imagine if you tried plying with eleven no.10's, it'd look something like Saudi Arabia do.

el3mel

Saudi was the worst team in pot 4. I bet everyone wanted them in their group. It's hardly a surprise.

Bobski

Saudi have plenty of athletic and skillful players, but they seem to have little idea of how to make those talents mesh in a team environment, so many guys taking an extra touch when it should be moved quickly, trying to dribble in really bad areas, it is all a bit streetballish.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Shame that Dzagoev went off injured and is likely out of the tournament.

He started the game really well I thought, all the play was going through him.