Day 1: Qatar vs Ecuador - Match Discussion Only Please.

Chief123

Some people here have no idea just how genuinely hospitable and friendly Arabs generally are.
As someone who’s travelled to a number of Arab countries, I’ve never experienced such great hospitality like I have in those countries. It’s quite amusing and strange at the same time seeing some of the warped opinions here.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
As someone who’s travelled to a number of Arab countries, I’ve never experienced such great hospitality like I have in those countries. It’s quite amusing and strange at the same time seeing some of the warped opinions here.
What happens when you don't leave your bedroom.

kaku06

So true. It was disturbing to read some opinions in this thread.

Castia

Even the locals dont give a feck do they

World Cup opener and they’re leaving after 45 mins :lol:

Chief123

So that was officially the least amount of shots in a World Cup game since records began in 1966. 11 shots.

Roane

What are the prayer times in Qatar currently?

I'm just wondering if some of those blokes in thobes left to pray?

Djemba-Djemba

You'd think Qatar will be eliminated by the time of their 3rd match, so that really might be played out in front of huge empty stands.

Chief123

It just wasn’t a great game of football all around to be honest.
The most surprising aspect of the game was the fact Ecuador played their star striker for so long when he picked up a heavy knock. Should have taken him off straight away. Qatar were beaten at 2-0.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
The most surprising aspect of the game was the fact Ecuador played their star striker for so long when he picked up a heavy knock. Should have taken him off straight away. Qatar were beaten at 2-0.
Yeah didn’t quite get that. Meh. Based on what I’ve seen today, albeit hard to judge given quality today, I would be thinking Senegal and Netherlands make it out of this group.

Chief123

You'd think Qatar will be eliminated by the time of their 3rd match, so that really might be played out in front of huge empty stands.
They might fancy getting a draw against a Mane-less Senegal. That could be enough to get them through if they can avoid a heavy defeat against Netherlands.

Roane

So a half empty stadium by half time and a fecking shockingly bad game.

Not a good start to the tournament.
This is just nit picking now.

I think international football is boring generally, compared to say the PL. Even champions league and Europa can be tedious defensive affairs.

Qatar and Ecuador or not exactly going to play like city or Liverpool. More like us under lvg.

As for people leaving no surprises there either. I do wonder if prayer times had an effect on that?

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
German TV just opened their post-match coverage with "the official feed didn't show the wide views, because they didn't want people to see how empty it was, so here's one that we took.

Total embarrassment for Qatar - I didn't expect much but giving up by the 70th min on the pitch, 40% empty seats, and thousands leaving at halftime was somehow worse than I thought it would be.

Hope Netherlands put 8 past them.

largelyworried

Thought Ecuador looked pretty tidy, don't think they'll be pushovers for any team. Qatar offered nothing, not even enthusiasm. Low key game overall, probably the worst opening game in many a year. But whatever, things start in earnest tomorrow.

DavidDeSchmikes

Ecuador didn't need to try in that second half. Game was won by half time.
Second half non event, and those empty seats

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I got no doubts most Arab people are warm and friendly. I think most people are generally warm and friendly. There's been a lot of noise about Qatar's human rights record and the LGBT thing around this world cup. Weren't there a lot of workers who died constructing the stadiums for this world cup? If there's a big difference between the state of Qatar and that of Saudi Arabia then i do apologise to anyone sincerely offended..

In either case my jokes were about the state not the people in general. Just ridiculous to have a whole set of attitudes and beliefs ascribed to one admittedly slightly tasteless joke.

Roane

I was thinking the same thing but admit complete ignorance on the matter
Yeah I'm muslim and pray and know the times here but no idea about there.

All the people I saw walking off did so simultaneously and were dressed the same. I just wondered if it was simply a case of walking off because they were bored or something else. My first thought, based on those walking off, was is it prayer time?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I can see Qatar throwing their toys out the pram and trying to cancel the WC when they're officially knocked out the group stage

Red00012

So they built 8 stadiums for this World Cup
What will they be used for when it's all over?
Unless they get an attendance allowance I cant see them being filled with local football fans
At least one will be demolished

Djemba-Djemba

This is just nit picking now.

I think international football is boring generally, compared to say the PL. Even champions league and Europa can be tedious defensive affairs.

Qatar and Ecuador or not exactly going to play like city or Liverpool. More like us under lvg.

As for people leaving no surprises there either. I do wonder if prayer times had an effect on that?
nit picking :lol:

Qatar didn't look overly defensive or anything like that, I don't expect them to play like City. I don't think it's too much to ask for to have a shot on target though.

They were fecking awful and the stadium looked half empty by the 2nd half.

That's not nit picking.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Thought Ecuador looked pretty tidy, don't think they'll be pushovers for any team.
They somehow managed to put the game to bed early and still get Valencia injured and Caicedo yellow carded :annoyed:

That was your typical drab but efficient Ecuador game. Bottomline is that 18 months ago everyone in Conmebol could tell Argentina, Brazil and Ecuador were going to Qatar.

If people still think Netherlands and Senegal have the group sown up, they managed this brilliantly.