g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Day 1: Qatar vs Ecuador - Match Discussion Only Please.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
So are the mods all “Islamophobes” as well?

That’s a bold claim.

For the avoidance of doubt, I agree that some of the cultural stereotyping has been pretty unpleasant.
I just feel like there's some sort of line between being Bernard Manning and a bit of gallows humour about a state with some fairly draconian laws.

At some point it means we have to delete Borat from our memories because of the amount of cultural stereotyping going on in that film.

Camilo

Appalling match.. Honestly, just a bizarre nonsense really. Totally odd!

Djemba-Djemba

I mean maybe it was just a bad day at the office for the Qatar players but they looked miles away from competing at this level.

Ecuador didn't even need to play well and they still had the game won inside 30 minutes.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
First half was a decent watch. Second half is where you’d expect the team losing to throw everything to come back. This lot are beyond shite and half the crowd didn’t fancy sticking around either.

RedDevilRoshi

The initial flick on header from the long ball, the keeper was ahead of the player that the ball dropped to and only 1 defender playing him on, so it's offside. It was tight, just his foot is offside by the looks of it.

I hate VAR, ruins the game when you can't celebrate a goal because you know there's a very good chance it's getting overturned.
Thanks for clarifying that.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So a half empty stadium by half time and a fecking shockingly bad game.

Not a good start to the tournament.
Better to start bad and the tournament getting better as it goes along. Some tournaments start petering out in the knockouts

RedDevilRoshi

First half was a decent watch. Second half is where you’d expect the team losing to throw everything to come back. This lot are beyond shite and half the crowd didn’t fancy sticking around either.
Agree. I literally was falling asleep during the 2nd half as Ecuador took their foot off the gas and Qatar were beyond terrible.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Is it OK to joke about corporal punishments used in Qatar though, or you prefer if we skip this topic for your comfort?
Qatar don't use any of those punishments, the issue is stereotyping all Arab states as one.

Coops73

For me this World Cup is the wrong place at the wrong time, but I wanted to watch this game in an attempt to get me in the mood but feck me both teams were just a bit shit.

Also why did the BBC not show the opening ceremony? deliberate perhaps because of the circumstances? which I’m down with, but usually you get the whole build up vibe which I was hoping would get me gee’d up for this World Cup… also the disallowed first goal? what the actual feck? I’ve watched it several times and I’m still baffled.

AndyMUFC

Worst hosts ever on and off the pitch and I don't partiularly think Ecuador are great either. They were just against a really bad side.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Is it OK to joke about corporal punishments used in Qatar though, or you prefer if we skip this topic for your comfort?
If not a couple of posters are going to find themselves in front of the firing squad.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Really just travel to Middle East. You will be shocked how warm and friendly Arabic people are. In my opinion, “westerners” could learn a lot in certain areas from these “terrible” countries.

The clip maybe staged but such behaviour from Middle Eastern residents is not uncommon.

Some people in this thread do not see difference between Saudi and Qatar… it’s like saying that North Korea is essentially the same as Japan.
Agree with this. Where I live, we have sizeable Syrian and Palestinian communities and they are genuinely lovely people and often very warm and humorous.

I think some people desperately need to get out of their bubble and meet people different from themselves. Too many comments in this thread have crossed the line between criticizing regimes and cooperations to sweeping generalizations about groups of people they have never met.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Anywhere you have opposition fans close together and one taunting the other you have the potential for trouble. You've just seen the guy ranting at him. Wouldn't exactly be a stretch to see that increase to violence.
It's the same in any football stadium.
Amazing
This is what happened and this is close to reality.

Really just travel to Middle East. You will be shocked how warm and friendly Arabic people are. In my opinion, “westerners” could learn a lot in certain areas from these “terrible” countries.

The clip maybe staged but such behaviour from Middle Eastern residents is not uncommon.

Some people in this thread do not see difference between Saudi and Qatar… it’s like saying that North Korea is essentially the same as Japan.
Read this to nurture yourself.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

The Ecuadorian guy has probably been invited back to that local guy's house for dinner, chai and shisha.

Kaos

The middle east is a vast spectrum. The people of Syria, Iraq and Lebanon are very warm and welcoming.

The gulf states on the other hand leave a lot to be desired.

Slevs

likes to play with penises

Some people are really gonna get triggered by this post.

Red For Ever

So they built 8 stadiums for this World Cup
What will they be used for when it's all over?
Unless they get an attendance allowance I cant see them being filled with local football fans