Day 11: England vs Panama, Japan vs Senegal and Poland vs Colombia

saivet

Brazil would know the results of Group E before their match so could it be possible that they purposely try to finish second to avoid Germany in the last 16:D
Brazil can't really afford to do that. Assuming Switzerland don't lose to Costa Rica a defeat against Serbia would send them out.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Sterling starts
Unreal that he’s benching Rashford for the NT. Sterling was way below par in the first match and is over twenty matches without a goal. Talk about getting a free pass. I can’t get myself up for supporting a team with so many opposition club players involved.

Treble

Brazil can't really afford to do that. Assuming Switzerland don't lose to Costa Rica a defeat against Serbia would send them out.
They could concede the equalizer in the final seconds of the game. Difficult but not impossible. At the same timethey might think that it is better to play Germany in the last 16 than in the final.

TheLiverBird

Sterling is garbage for England. I cant see how he gets picked over Rashford.
In all fairness, with the season he's had at City, you can't really not start him, he's been sensational over there

So he got given his place in the England starting line up and rightfully so

Didn't start off bad against Tunisia but progressively got worse during the game and rightfully got subbed for Rashford

Rashford is now looking at starting in todays game over him

Hansa

A fine day of football. England should cruise, Senegal and Japan will be a tight affair, while Poland vs Colombia should be a high-octane game between two desperate teams.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Brazil would know the results of Group E before their match so could it be possible that they purposely try to finish second to avoid Germany in the last 16:D
Germany can still top their group if I'm not mistaken. If Sweden beat Mexico and Germany beat Korea all 3 teams will have 6 points. In that case it's not inconceivable that Germany have the best GD seeing as how they need to beat Korea by 2-3 goals for that to happen.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Kind of lost interest now that Rashford isn't starting. :(
Hoping for a terrible first half so that he comes on early.

Zoo

If Sterling can’t score against these..

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Maybe, but would it not be better motivation for Sterling to be 'dropped' and for himself take the role of impact sub to prove Southgate wrong?
Southgate doesn't strike me as a person who takes chances based on that kind of rationale.

He probably has a draw full of socks and pants, all the same colour so he doesn't have to ponder too much on what to wear

Hamzah

IMHO the decision to start Sterling is a wise one. Benching him will seriously impact his confidence. If you start Rashford & let’s say he also fails to deliver then you will have dented the confidence of 2 important players. This kind of game is a great opportunity for Sterling to regain his composure and you can always bring on Rashford after securing the result where the pressure is less on him to have some sort of impact. I don’t know if that makes sense.

Wayne's World

Bet Sterling scores hat-trick today after all the media attention which he hasn't deserved in the past couple of weeks.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I hope England are comfortable enough today for my bet to come in. Pretty nervous about it.

I don’t have high hopes for Poland. I think Colombia will beat us without much problem, they are a better team and will fight for it while I can see another half arsed performance from our players. They’d really need to give their 100% to win this game but looking at their performance against Senegal and listening to their interviews I doubt they are that bothered about going home early.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Come on England. A comfortable 2-0 win please.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I need Colombia to beat Poland in order to beat my mates in our group sweepstake. They all have Poland winning.

Booda

I really hope i'm wrong but I can see England drawing today, I think its gonna be a long hard slog in the heat with lots of frustration, its certainly not going to be the cakewalk opinion i'm seeing from some pundits and fans.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Sterling starts. I guarantee it was going to be Rashford but Southgate felt the need to prove that the leak wasn’t real.

Mister_Stubbs

How do Lingard and Sterling keep their places after their poor show on Monday, Sterling especially! Rashford should be starting this, Panama are going to just camp in their own half the whole game, it’s perfect for someone like Marcus who can will shoot from any distance, run in behind and just take his chance much better than Sterling will.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
How do Lingard and Sterling keep their places after their poor show on Monday, Sterling especially! Rashford should be starting this, Panama are going to just camp in their own half the whole game, it’s perfect for someone like Marcus who can will shoot from any distance, run in behind and just take his chance much better than Sterling will.
It was going to be Rashford. Southgate has bottled it after those leaks and needing to look like he’s smarter than the media.

Djemba-Djemba

Sterling hasn't played well for England since the game against Italy in the last World Cup.

It doesn't matter how well he's played for City, he's been consistently useless for England. Hopefully today is the day he finally plays well again.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Can't believe Sterling is starting.
I can. always thought the leaked team sheet was a bluff. Not that I agree with the decision. It's southgate hoping he's found a team bad enough to make Sterling look world-class. three or four misses like those in game one and he's done

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Agree that Rashford would and should be starting if it weren't for the leak.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
anything less than a four-goal win will be in the "not good enough" category. looking forward to seeing how one of the worst "back-threes" does against a proper side...

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I can. always thought the leaked team sheet was a bluff. Not that I agree with the decision. It's southgate hoping he's found a team bad enough to make Sterling look world-class. three or four misses like those in game one and he's done
Why would they be bluffing about Sterling or Rashford when we are playing Panama?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Rashford should be starting ahead of Sterling. Sterling hasn't scored an international goal for nearly three years.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
...Sterling is still a great player everyone....

Not like him starting against Panama is terrible or anything

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
England to win 5-0 and Kane with a hattrick.

Last edited:

MadMike

Good line-up by England. Looking forward to it. I hope RLC takes his chance.

Sterling needs to score or assist on this one. Otherwise will find himself on the bench against Belgium.

Acole9

Outstanding
Hope Loftus Cheek has a good game, looked alright when he came on the other day.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
...Sterling is still a great player everyone....

Not like him starting against Panama is terrible or anything
Sterling is a great player but you have to feed him chances on a plate if you want him to score. Even then he'll miss a few sitters.

He doesn't really fit the two forward system we are using, Alli ro Lingard would be better with Kane but then we'd have no midfield.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Sterling hasn't played well for England since the game against Italy in the last World Cup.

It doesn't matter how well he's played for City, he's been consistently useless for England. Hopefully today is the day he finally plays well again.

This reminds me about the Rooney criticisms from the yesteryears.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Honestly think Sterling plays well for England and is a better fit for this team than Rash. He desperately needs a goal to help his confidence in finishing chances though.