g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Day 14: Nigeria vs. Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It wasn't a case of two players being through and the ball being passed backwards to the other attacking player despite him being closer to goal than the last defender.

It was a case of Messi being in an offside position and being in front of the ball but the pass was simply passed backwards and Messi ran back from an offside position to collect it.
We deal in gifs, friend.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
Yes! That freekick was actually pulled off. The amount of times I've thought an attacking player should pull away from the wall, they're rarely ever marked

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Currently the evidence is saying that Lyricist doesn't know the rules of the game and should forever be laughed at on the caf. It's on him to prove his worth to us.
Guilty until proven innocence is the Caf's system of law. So this is justified.

Come on Lyricist... prove it.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
That's a rule.
It's not a rule at all. Whether the ball is passed backwards or ahead of a player is irrelevant. All it maters is the player's position relative to the ball and the defenders at the moment of the pass. So, whilst uncommon, a player may be on offside when collecting a backwards pass, if he was ahead of the ball and tracked back to collect the pass. I didn't see the play in question so have no idea about this exact circumstante.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I only saw the first 20 odd mins

What was his 2nd goal like?

Why is he off now? Just rested I assume ....

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
It's not a rule at all. Whether the ball is passed backwards or ahead of a player is irrelevant. All it maters is the player's position relative to the ball and the defenders at the moment of the pass. So, whilst uncommon, a player may be on offside when collecting a backwards pass. I didn't see the play in question so have no idea about this exact circumstante.
It is a rule. You can't be offside from a backwards pass. Google it.

032Devil

I like the Nigerian goalkeeper's kit. Can't we have it at United?

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I don't need to google it. The rules are all on the FIFA website. All it takes for google to provide a wrong answer is for someone who doesn't know how to interpret the rule to write their wrong interpretation somewhere.

Revan

Assumptionman
Subbing Riquelme in that germany match was his blunder.
Ah, I agree. I didn't thought about it and found the comment strange considering that Argies got the first place in their group.

Replacing Riquelme with Cambiasso was one of the worst tactical mistakes I have ever seen and eleminated Argies. Until then they were completely dominating the game and were the best team in the tournament.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
To be fair, Arruda is right. If you're behind the ball when the ball is played, meaning the player has had to have passed the ball back to you for you to receive it, you can't be offside. However say for some reason or another the ball was played backwards, for example a typical FIFA goal, but the receiving player was ahead of the ball when the pass was made, he'd be offside if he went back to collect it.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Why's Sabella left Di Maria on? What an utter helmet. He's more important than Higuain.

Dylan94

I've been impressed with Nigeria today. They should take a lot of confidence from today's game going into the last 16.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Neymar isn't carrying Brazil at all, Oscar has been decent for them, Thiago Silva is holding that tumescent defence together and Ferdinandinho has made a difference. Just because he's scoring doesn't mean he's carrying them.

Status
Not open for further replies.