Day 14: Nigeria vs. Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Close! We've already seen more in 9 minutes than we see in 90!

Lyricist

Would've caught the equalizer if he'd stretched out his arms.
Okay I didn't see a good angle of the replay...but curlers to the far post are never easy when they're pulled off well. Just assumed he had no chance. That said I still think Romero is incredibly shit despite his performance vs Iran.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
For which goal? Neither were the goalie's fault I thought. Enyeama is a pretty decent keeper really.
Romero. Why he isn't saving that shot I've no idea, he's there in plenty of time to save it, he just doesn't move his hands!

ottosec

Apparently first time in WC history that both teams scored in the first 5 minutes.

LinkesAuge

I think the current 4-3-1-2 with Messi behind Agüero and Higuain suits them quite well.
too many players that stay in the center and look for goal scoring opportunities while Argentina already lacks players that can create, not to mention it's 3 players who hardly work against the ball/have defensive duties which will be punished against better sides.

Lyricist

Romero. Why he isn't saving that shot I've no idea, he's there in plenty of time to save it, he just doesn't move his hands!
Okay I didn't see a good angle of the replay...but curlers to the far post are never easy when they're pulled off well. Just assumed he had no chance before the replay came on. That said I still think Romero is incredibly shit despite his performance vs Iran.
Will need to look at it again during half time.
I thought you had Enyeama in mind for that first goal. I've always thought he's a great goalie. Romero, I agree though, he's shit. I have no idea why Willy isn't Argentina's first goalie.

acnumber9

What system are Argentina attempting to play? They've looked all over the place anytime I've seen them.

NoLogo

too many players that stay in the center and look for goal scoring opportunities while Argentina already lacks players that can create, not to mention it's 3 players who hardly work agains the ball/have defensive duties which will be punished against better sides.
That's why I think Messi is a good choice behind two strikers he can create chances for them as well. Di Maria also has the freedom to attack as much as he wants and go wide. The rest of the support has to come from their fullbacks. In essence you have just as many attacking players like most other formations.

Hannibal

Mikel Obi is the weakest link for Nigeria. Chelsea have ruined him. He needs 9 touches to make a pass to the nearest team mate. He plays for the biggest team and one would expect him to show some Premier League class in the Nigerian squad but he has been an embarrassment.

punpun

As expected, Nigeria's physicality and athleticism causes problems to Argentina.

They can win this if they're focused enough.

Danny Boi

That's why I think Messi is a good choice behind two strikers he can create chances for them as well. Di Maria also has the freedom to attack as much as he wants and go wide. The rest of the support has to come from their fullbacks. In essence you have just as many attacking players like most other formations.
In most formations though there are two wideman who help out their fullback when defending.So unless Aguero and Higuain are going to drop into wide 433 positions when defending, they are going to be left a bit open when defending.

LinkesAuge

My point is not about numbers, it's about balance and Argentina lacks it pretty much everywhere, they are a very disjointed team and that should be really obvious for anyone. Good teams will expose this more because Argentina's attack will be completely shut off from the midfield and their defensive midfield/defence will be left alone by the rest of the team.
It's already what happened in the last two games and has already been visible today. Argentina is imo simply tactically too unorganised to be a real threat.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Argentina look better today, still not sure about their title credentials. Great attack, average midfield and defence. Any team that has in form Messi will be among favourites.

Skorenzy

Seems to me a lot of goals are being scored in quick succession in this WC, especially right after an opponent has scored.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Messi and Di Maria are the only ones doing anything in that team. The others are just... there. Around. Doing their best not to stand in the way.

NoLogo

In most formations though there are two wideman who help out their fullback when defending.So unless Aguero and Higuain are going to drop into wide 433 positions when defending, they are going to be left a bit open when defending.
It's one of the weakness of the 4-3-1-2 unless you have the AMC drop into the midfield when defending which would make it essentially a 4-4-2 in defense. Argentina isn't doing that because Messi is practically free of any defensive responsibility but instead the CMs on the right or the left will help out defending the wings. It means a lot of work for those three in the center but also means they will have always 3 attacking options available once they win back the ball. Every formation and tactic has it's positives and negatives but I feel so far it isn't working too badly for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.