Day 16: Japan vs Croatia | Brazil vs South Korea (Last 16 5&6)

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Croatia were 1-0 down in every single round at the last WC on their way to the final.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
well deserved, Japan looking great so far

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
If Brazil get through :angel:
And Croatia dont come back
I think South Korea is a real test for Brazil too but South Korea would need luck and to play perfectly.

Croatia have no legs at all. A game of 30 minutes would suit them more than 90 minutes.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Japan v South Korea next round :drool:

the_cliff

Modric is such a classy player.

Japan look good though, if they win this, they would've beaten Germany, Spain and Croatia. Impressive.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
In each last 16 game so far the less fancied team has had periods of possession, periods of looking dangerous but ultimately wasted it. That is until now.

Japan has been the better team and they have done the most important thing: Convert early dominance into a goal.

Now its up to Croatia. Game on!

Sylar

I think South Korea is a real test for Brazil too but South Korea would need luck and to play perfectly.

Croatia have no legs at all. A game of 30 minutes would suit them more than 90 minutes.
Just takes a 10 min period to turn a game around as this WC has shown. Second half will be intriguing

MUnchies

Now it makes sense how Japan beat Germany and Spain. What a great side to watch from their pressing, passing, crossing etc

JeffFromHK

Brazil has a bit of stamina advantage though, since most of their XI were rested in the last group game.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Modric is such a classy player.

Japan look good though, if they win this, they would've beaten Germany, Spain and Croatia. Impressive.
And brazil, argentina and france in the final.
I am a firm believer of project Blue Lock

avgp_1

Croatia tend to be better later on in the game don't they? And Japan should be a threat as well. Fun half of football coming up

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Croatia sluggish and nervy, I expected a lot better.
Tbh I haven't. We're one man defence with best player in the middle nearing retirement and no real striker up-front. Mix that with lack of options from the bench and manager who is slow in reaction and you have team which is disjointed and lacks cutting edge. Still I hope we somehow overturn this deficit. Don't want to sound this as poor excuses because Japan are playing really good and have been better team.

Tony247

Team that defeated Spain and Germany is now on the verge of reaching qtr finals. Deserve.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So when is our (United) first game? 45 minutes more and i am quitting from football till then. :(

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Brazil has a bit of stamina advantage though, since most of their XI were rested in the last group game.
Doesn't always work that way though, getting a full 90 minutes in your legs can often be a good thing.

Neymar has to feel himself back into the game too.

Of course that squad is different class, but I remember United resting everyone before they played Barca in '09 and they got rolled over.

It's not always a case of well they've had a few days rest so they'll be better, maybe if it goes to extra time its a factor but they're professional athletes.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
The worst that can happen to Japan is face a defensive team that sit back and form a low block, i reckon Netherlands and England would smash this Japan side which best quality is counter-attacking...they struggle a lot when they have to take the initiative.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Doesn't always work that way though, getting a full 90 minutes in your legs can often be a good thing.

Neymar has to feel himself back into the game too.

Of course that squad is different class, but I remember United resting everyone before they played Barca in '09 and they got rolled over.

It's not always a case of well they've had a few days rest so they'll be better, maybe if it goes to extra time its a factor but they're professional athletes.
Neymar is one player I’ve never seen need to feel his way back in, he could be out for 3 months and comes in and runs the show.

Drifter

American
Japanese fans getting a little cheeky "Where is Modric" sign being held up.