Day 17: England vs Germany | Sweden vs Ukraine (Ro16 7&8)

diarm

I'm torn between wanting to see the United lads do well and get through, but also wanting to see Gareth Softcock punished for his cowardice.

Irwin99

England's line up reminds me of United's vs RB Leipzig (shudder)

MU655

Horrible. You cannot just play the same formation as the Germans. It is Rice and Philips against Goretzka and Kroos.

Stop weakening the attack so much. No attacking midfielder despite having Grealish, Mount, and Foden who can play the role.

Germany are playing a formation that suit them, whilst England are not.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
fcking stupid from Southgate to match systems with Germany. When has England every played a 343?
We played this system quite a lot when southgate first became England manager...

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Germany has looked dodgy as feck in defense and we have the best set of attackers in the tournament. So what does Southgate do? He plays 3 attackers. Of those 3 attackers, one has only scored 6 goals in his entire club career. That's 1 less than the amount of defenders Southgate has selected.

It's pathetic.

The Firestarter

That lineup my god. Where 's Grealish Gareth?
3 in the back? Feck off and feck your coat.
No point to even mention Sancho.

Wilt

Grealish not starting ….hope you know what you’re doing Southgate

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I know you everyone thinks that the selection is awful and cowardly but I think that playing shit on a stick football might be the way to navigate the knockouts.

Wolverine

Tough to see where the creativity will come from, a lot on Saka's shoulders to create

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Did Werner even perform for Chelsea though? I don't recall him scoring a lot of goals. He has been underperforming everytime I see him. Havertz has been good but I don't see how we can score with such a defensive line-up from your side.
Werner didn't score a boat load but he was always involved, creating space and chances for others.

Avion

Supports
Attractive Football
At least Southgate changes his formation - sth a manager should do. Look at Löw, despite playing bad most of the time he always plays the same system. That is far worse.

England not playing into GErman hands like Portugal is the right move.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I like Saka in there, I rate him. Just feel he should've been the wingback instead of Trippier, and Grealish should be in the attack. That would probably be our best team.
That would have been my choice as well, Saka as the right wing back and I would have gone with Foden.

passing-wind

I like Saka in there, I rate him. Just feel he should've been the wingback instead of Trippier, and Grealish should be in the attack. That would probably be our best team.
I think Saka being included is a defensive aspect as from what I understand he does track back and can double with the wingback. Saka deserves to start irrespective but this is perhaps one of the most negative, conservative lineups I've seen for a while. Only out and out attacking minded players in the England team is Kane / Sterling.

Southgate has shown to be a bang average manager, can't find balance in a line up so goes fully conservative. This is the most attacking England team I've witnessed and look at the line up. Absolutely laughable.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Starting Saka in an extremely high-stakes knockout game? Rice and Philips, again?

What the feck Southgate...

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Who's feeding Kane some proper passes? Only Saka and Sterling?

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I mean Müller, Gnabry, Havertz clearly hasn't worked out so well, they were all too similar and operating too much in the same spaces. I'm not a fan of Werner in general, but I actually see the point in including him ahead of Gnabry, to add more width and depth.
I was talking about the england lineup, sorry for the confusion.
As for germany: This team has been less than the sum of its part for years, I don't expect that to change. At least we're not playing the dreadful Kroos-Gündogan pairing.

The Firestarter

I know you everyone thinks that the selection is awful and cowardly but I think that playing shit on a stick football might be the way to navigate the knockouts.
When you play at home you have certain responsibilty to produce exciting football. Especially when you have the talent.

djembatheking

No doubt we will be drowning our sorrows in a couple of hours time , love these games with the Germans though . We`ll probably see Klinsman singing Its coming home to linekar later . Come on England.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
7 defenders and 3 ineffective attackers.

fecking clown just wants to bore his Way to a dross 1-0.

krentz

Why on earth would you not play a 4 2 3 1 with rice and Phillips ? surely that is defensive enough? then can put grealish in to link better to attack.

Shaw and Tripper are going to have to play amazing now then to link to kane or else kane will not be in the game at all
southgate is worried about Germany wing backs, this is why he gone 352, expect battle between Kimmich-shaw and Goesens-Trippier throughout the game. btw I'd chuck Kane out for Grealish.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Pleased to see Saka starting. Looks like I'm the only one!

Werner scares me.
I'm happy with Saka. A nice surprise in the lineup. The rest is as bad as it reasonably could be.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Why have we given this guy a new contract? FFs