Day 18: Germany vs. Algeria

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I get the Dormund fans backing Durm and I'm no fan of Höwedes at LB either, but Löw and the coaching staff will have a better reasoning for playing Höwedes than us sofa-coaches. They actually work with these guys.
Hell, if it was up to me I'd play Lahm at LB!

Neuer
Boateng - Merte - Hummels - Lahm
Kroos - Schweini - Khedira
Özil - Müller - Götze/Schürrle/not Podolski
By that reasoning we would never be allowed to criticise any decisions made on and besides the pitch, effectively making a discussion board about football useless.

I can also only speak for myself, but I seperate club football and nation football in my mind. If I could somehow make Alaba German instead of Austrian I would be overjoyed, eventhough it would make the Bayern block even greater in the national team. It is all about the success and the style of football we can produce as a team. If the best possible team would mean having not a single Dortmund player as starter but having the best shot at the title I would take that.

On top of that, Durm is favoured by a far bigger group of people than just Dortmund fans.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
I get it.
Höwedes is the cautious defensive approach and Durm would be the offensive and slightly more risky approach. Both aren't ideal, but in the end I think both wouldn't do a bad job.
Today I would give Durm his chance though, just to see if he is up for it. And I have the feeling Löw will do that.
i think durm got ears to hear if someone gives advices to him...
only the fact like durm played the season (and against which teams: bayern,real,wolfsburg) and like höweds played the season is one point for me.
the faults höwedes did in the first games are another.

Ruht

On top of that, Durm is favoured by a far bigger group of people than just Dortmund fans.
This. I've not seen a single person that wants Höwedes over Durm at LB.

As for the news that Mustafi is starting, why? Ginter would do a better job if he were to start I reckon, wonder why Löw would go with Mustafi over him.

MikeMango

As for the news that Mustafi is starting, why? Ginter would do a better job if he were to start I reckon, wonder why Löw would go with Mustafi over him.
I guess Mustafi will play as right-back again and Boateng as center-back.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Ginter would be a better choice, especially given his good build up play, Höwedes as RB or CB and Durm as LB would make more sense, don´t even get me started about Großkreutz, the actual back up as RB and who played an impressive season in that role, because I will just be accused as being biased again. Instead we go for a player, who would not have even been in the squad without Reus´ injury. I dunno what happened on the training ground, because he would have to be one hell of a player there to deserve that spot. His performance against Ghana certainly could not be the reason for that.

Kazi

Sunset is at 5.35pm local time so they can break their fast at half time (match starts at 5pm). They'll be fine!

Ruht

Ginter would be a better choice, especially given his good build up play, Höwedes as RB or CB and Durm as LB would make more sense, don´t even get me started about Großkreutz, the actual back up as RB and who played an impressive season in that role, because I will just be accused as being biased again. Instead we go for a player, who would not have even been in the squad without Reus´ injury. I dunno what happened on the training ground, because he would have to be one hell of a player there to deserve that spot. His performance against Ghana certainly could not be the reason for that.
Training dispute or Löw being..well Löw are the only reasons I could think of. Mustafi didn't impress from the little time he had against Ghana. Ginter should be the logical solution, or like you said Großkreutz.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
So Mustafi was meant to be left out of the 23 man squad, yet now he's supposed to replace Hummels. Strange... and that after his bad performance against Ghana.

A left defensive axis of Höwedes and Mustafi sounds like an invitation to score from the left. I just don't fecking get it! Put Lahm where he belongs and put Boateng where HE belongs. How hard can it be?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
So Mustafi was meant to be left out of the 23 man squad, yet now he's supposed to replace Hummels. Strange... and that after his bad performance against Ghana.

A left defensive axis of Höwedes and Mustafi sounds like an invitation to score from the left. I just don't fecking get it! Put Lahm where he belongs and put Boateng where HE belongs. How hard can it be?
Mustafi will probably play RB and boateng moves to CB along Merte.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
Germany:

Neuer - Mustafi, Mertesacker, Boateng, Höwedes - Lahm ©, Schweinsteiger - Özil, Kroos, Götze - Müller

Jasmin

Germany is going to rape Algeria, I have just seen the starters. No Brahimi, Bentaleb, Medjani. It's a joke. And he puts Mostefa as a starter, this is one of the weakest starters in this World Cup. I don't expect anything, my hopes are crushed.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Schweini :drool:. I'm really starting to like Löw. Don't mind him sticking to the 4 centerback thing.

Lyricist

The whole Mustafi thing is an absolute farce.

We already had 5 CBs in the squad and 3 FBs but now the only player outside of Löw's ridiculous excuse of a back 4 line up who gets game time in defense is Mustafi, someone who shouldn't even be in the squad. As people have said, Mustafi hasn't impressed, Höwedes is still playing, and neither Großkreutz, nor Ginter or Durm are getting a chance. Löw makes me so mad, the way he handles that squad should be illegal. Thankfully Podolski can't play today.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
3-1 win for Germany. Algeria to impress a little but never look like winning.

Blackwidow

By that reasoning we would never be allowed to criticise any decisions made on and besides the pitch, effectively making a discussion board about football useless.

I can also only speak for myself, but I seperate club football and nation football in my mind. If I could somehow make Alaba German instead of Austrian I would be overjoyed, eventhough it would make the Bayern block even greater in the national team. It is all about the success and the style of football we can produce as a team. If the best possible team would mean having not a single Dortmund player as starter but having the best shot at the title I would take that.

If Großkreutz can live in one house together with Schweinsteiger, Müller, Höwedes and Draxler - all of them Bayern or Schalke through and through - it is stupid if we fans make a difference.

We can talk different after the World Cup again. I would have enjoyed to cheer for Reus at the World Cup...

oriole

Belgium beat them... (Algeria), I'm just saying :)
Won't be easy though.

Fergie Steps In

It looks like player power is controlling who plays which position for Germany. No player should be bigger than the club. A manager will never be consistently successful if he doesn't have the balls to tell players when and where on the pitch they play best. I think Lahm is a perfect example of a player that needs to be told when and where to play.

Blackwidow

It looks like player power is controlling who plays which position for Germany. No player should be bigger than the club. A manager will never be consistently successful if he doesn't have the balls to tell players when and where on the pitch they play best. I think Lahm is a perfect example of a player that needs to be told when and where to play.
Sorry. That is just stupid. If Khedira and Schweinsteiger both would be 100% it would be different. Like this Löw does not have a choice as long as he does not want to play players without international experience.

And all of the media and most people in Germany wanted Schweinsteiger instead of Khedira just because he has been better than Khedira in the recent matches.

oriole

Lahm himself said he doesn't want to play LB ever again in 2012 I think.
He prefers RB. I wonder though, are there other players out there that used to play at both backs? Quite a performance...

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
Like this Löw does not have a choice as long as he does not want to play players without international experience.
thatswhy he doesn´t bring in durm or großkreutz (who both were great in champions league)? mustafi got no experience and höwedes was weak in games of schalke in the champions league.
really doesn´t make sense.

Skorenzy

Müller is going to end up all-time top scorer of the WC isn't he? :( already on 9 in 9...

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Müller is going to end up all-time top scorer of the WC isn't he? :( already on 9 in 9...
Why the frown smiley? About time that a Müller is back at the top of that list.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Neymar could beat it, and you never know, could get injured before one of the tournaments in future, or be second fiddle to the next big thing in Germany.

Fergie Steps In

Sorry. That is just stupid. If Khedira and Schweinsteiger both would be 100% it would be different. Like this Löw does not have a choice as long as he does not want to play players without international experience.

And all of the media and most people in Germany wanted Schweinsteiger instead of Khedira just because he has been better than Khedira in the recent matches.
Apology accepted.

When Lahm performs sub-par in the midfield again today, you can apologize to me for a second time.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Nonsense. Lahm said from the start, that he doesn't care if he's played at right back or in midfield, he just doesn't want to be moved back to leftback again, because he hasn't played that position in years and it would take him a lot of time to get comfortable again, which makes a lot of sense. If you have to use a player in a position where no one really stands out, you don't waste one of your most important players there.

If 2 out of Khedira, Schweinsteiger or Gündogan were fully fit, we would have seen Lahm rightback and Boateng leftback, which would have been perfect. Now we have to deal with it and playing Lahm at leftback doesn't make much sense in this team anyway. You need one of the fullbacks to provide width and not another player who constantly drifts inside and crowds an areas where already 3 CMs and 2 AMs are operating in. Lahm as leftback would be plain stupid.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
7 Bayern players starting for Germany today. A new record, apparently.

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
Hope Germany beats Algeria in normal time, really don't have the energy to stay up for an additional 30 minutes. The past few days have been mentally and physically draining for me.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
For all the stick ITV get (and it's easy to give 'em stick at the best of times) - that was an excellent video package to kick-off tonights game. Did an excellent job of giving the back story to this one.

Shame it was followed up immediately by Chiles...

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Nonsense. Lahm said from the start, that he doesn't care if he's played at right back or in midfield, he just doesn't want to be moved back to leftback again, because he hasn't played that position in years and it would take him a lot of time to get comfortable again, which makes a lot of sense. If you have to use a player in a position where no one really stands out, you don't waste one of your most important players there.

If 2 out of Khedira, Schweinsteiger or Gündogan were fully fit, we would have seen Lahm rightback and Boateng leftback, which would have been perfect. Now we have to deal with it and playing Lahm at leftback doesn't make much sense in this team anyway. You need one of the fullbacks to provide width and not another player who constantly drifts inside and crowds an areas where already 3 CMs and 2 AMs are operating in. Lahm as leftback would be plain stupid.
What will you do if you end up facing the Dutch in the finals? Robben would swallow Howedes from the right. If Low plays the latter there whole tournament, can't see changing in the final even when it could be a match-deciding mis-match.