Day 19: Argentina vs. Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancan92

Man all the big teams getting soo ridiculously lucky. This game is just set up for an Argentina- brazil final where both teams look absolute rubbish but they luck their way through. Frustrating as hell.

FromTheBench

Haha what a ridiculous ending. Rough on the Swiss.

All favorites going through this round but all got given a good runaround and were lucky in parts too. (Except Colombia, i guess.)

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The only thing that really justifies Argentina nicking it is that some of their fans are incredible. Some superb individuals in their squad but as a unit they're awful.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Argentina are an awful team. And winner or not that was a horrendous performance from Di Maria, countless failed dribbles, countless terrible efforts at goal, he wasn't interested in anyone but himself, hope now he's got that goal he'll think about lifting his head and looking for a pass too.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I am glad Argies went through. Same with Germany yesterday. Same people who are complaining about them going through, would have complained poor QF line up if they hadn't.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Phew. That was intense towards the end.

Argentina were anything but impressive, I thought. Think old man Hitzfeld got it spot on. Was rooting for the Swiss, easily. Not surprising that Argentina got the goal they needed in the end, though. Still, can't find much to like about that team. Hope they crash out in the quarter final.

dbs235

No team at this tournament has convinced and considering they have Messi i'd give them a great chance.
Exactly. None of the teams have gone through these last 16 games convincingly at all. Except Colombia!

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Would someone please put Robbie Savage out of his misery? Please...

Firstouch20

Hated how BBC kept licking Messi's arse. He was average today and that was his own fault. If Messi or Ronaldo have a bad game everyone blames their team mates. So they need to be playing in expensive world class squads to perform? What about Zlatan or other good strikers in average teams? No one ever gives them that kind of leway.

ea385

All the "big" teams have been absolutely terrible. Argentina have been the worst of the lot, saved my Messi in almost every game. Colombia have been the best team thus far and they will probably go out in the next round.

Jaytay

We should have signed Rodriguez not Luke Shaw. He along with Behrami were man of the match.

77Hill

Are referees incapable of counting 10 yards? The distance between the box and the 6 yard line is 12 yards. That free kick was about a yard outside the box yet the wall was about 4 yards ahead of the 6 yard box.
It should be done correctly, but in every game I've ever seen referees count 10 steps, which may or may not be 10 yards. What should happen is the Lino runs on with a tape measure and measures out 10 yards (a smidge under 30 feet).

But it's never going to happen.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Argentina are not going to win this, the teams they have faced have been easy and they haven't convinced.
I reckon they'll have a better time of it against sides that try to play an open game against them, which the bigger teams will do. Messi gets more chances to break on a disorganised defence that way, too.

We've seen they can't handle gritty, hard-working sides, however. USA could really do a number on them if they get by Belgium.

punpun

Hated how BBC kept licking Messi's arse. He was average today and that was his own fault. If Messi or Ronaldo have a bad game everyone blames their team mates. So they need to be playing in expensive world class squads to perform? What about Zlatan or other good strikers in average teams? No one ever gives them that kind of leway.
It's actually the opposite.

When Ronaldo has a subpar game it's his fault. When Messi has a subpar game it's his teammates fault, or Maradona's, or Sabella's, whoever is in charge.

RustyS

Man all the big teams getting soo ridiculously lucky. This game is just set up for an Argentina- brazil final where both teams look absolute rubbish but they luck their way through. Frustrating as hell.
Not a single big team impressed me in the round of 16. Brazil, France, Argentina and to an extent Netherlands had things go their way. One could also argue on another day, Germany might've been eliminated.

That can be exciting though. There is a few good sides but no exceptional ones.

Bole Top

if Belgium goes through, I think they will beat Argentina as well.

Jaytay

Someone said Messi would get an easy hattrick, yeah right. I knew as soon as Argentina faced a tougher team he would find it hard. France, Germany, Holland, Colombia could beat Argentina.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I can't physically imagine how either Argentina or Brazil could conceivably win this tournament. They're just too bad.
Got an awful feeling Brazil could scrape through. Argentina could have Messi drag them all the way.

milan4ever

Gago is crap, Higuain is utter crap.

Di Maria even though was selfish in this game, but he was the only player who was still trying hard near the end of the game, also the only player besides Messi who can create something by himself. Glat that he got the goal.

Mali_Zeus

Not a good performance to say the least but Messi assist and Di Maria goal, what else to ask for. :D

They were really fortunate at the end with that Dzemaili header, but who cares now.

No big team had a great game in this round. Its all about the win and getting through. Brasil needed to win on penalties, Netherlands with a penalty in the last minutes, France were having a tough time vs Nigeria and were lucky Enyeama had another shocker, Germans were lucky not to concede vs Algeria in the 1st half..

Suisse were great but all through the 2nd half and in the OT Argies were trying to score and in the end they succeeded.

The_Midfielder

Think the problem is now everybody is trying to "park the bus" against the so called Big teams.... So even if you have 10 best players in every position.. it is difficult to break teams that have all 10 players behind the ball..

The_Midfielder

Got an awful feeling Brazil could scrape through. Argentina could have Messi drag them all the way.
The only team that has looked amazing is Colombia.. Other than that every team has scraped through.. ... France/ germany had to scrap yesterday, Germany scraped through.. Netherlands did the same.. So am not sure how we can say Brazil/Argentina will not win it..

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
One man team, could have scored a couple but for the Switzerland bus parkers and eventuallt set the winner up. That's what separates him from anyone else in the world.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
I don't know Argentina's obsession with crosses.

When you have Messi, why bother crossing so much? Di Maria and Rojo were pumping crosses every minute.

Rojo will be missing the next match.

Firstouch20

It's actually the opposite.

When Ronaldo has a subpar game it's his fault. When Messi has a subpar game it's his teammates fault, or Maradona's, or Sabella's, whoever is in charge.
Thats nonsense. You're probably a Ronaldo fan boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.