Day 2: England vs Iran | Senegal vs Netherlands | USA vs Wales

RedDevilMachine

Senegal tend to give a good account of themselves in the World Cup, they were incredibly unlucky to miss out to Japan on qualifying from the group in the last World Cup because of fair play rules. Still, I expect better from Netherlands.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Where’s the crowd? It’s sad to see a WC game played in a half-empty stadium. The Dutch usually travel in large numbers too, with that sea of orange. Pity

Abizzz

These games all look as if no one had any time to prepare as a team...

Quality will shine through like in the England game but overall i'm not expecting things to improve until maybe the knockout phase.

PoTMS

How boring is this game? Worst one yet. Really disappointed with the Netherlands.

Ricardo de la Vega

Ridiculous take, he’s been fantastic this season especially lately. United would’ve been much better with him but missed out on him especially considering how poor United’s midfield is
Agree he's top class with his positioning, his work on and off the ball. He's not got much killer instinct though...
Imagine him sitting alongisde Casemiro. We'd be on another level.

PoTMS

First game where there isnt a cannon fodder team involved.
Convenient excuse for why Holland have been so bad. Senegal are nothing special without Mane, certainly don't think they're any worse than Iran who weren't seen as cannon fodder until England played them.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Good game and good result for England, but before the competition start Qatar was the strongest Asian team (they are the Asian Cup holders), and Ecuador beat them pretty easy. I think the gap of quality between Asian and European/South American teams clearly increased.

Japan and South Korea struggled against Iran and Qatar, this is not going to be a good competition for asian teams.

About the current game: not surprised. Aliou Cissé is a good NT manager, Senegal is always very well drilled even when using a weaker team.

RyRy11

All the moral stuff aside, a WC in a country where they can hardly fill half a stadium is really lame.
It’s pretty embarrassing, it’ll all be forgotten once the knockouts start, I’d be surprised if they aren’t full then

Stadjer

Convenient excuse for why Holland have been so bad. Senegal are nothing special without Mane, certainly no worse than Iran who weren't seen as cannon fodder until England played them.
Senegal (best African team) is a solid team full of Premier League players... Iran is what? Besides shit at football?

slored1

How boring is this game? Worst one yet. Really disappointed with the Netherlands.
Having a piss poor striker like Janssen will do that for you. Like a fat Rooney but without the qualities that Wazza possessed.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Senegal are clearly playing the shithouse card. Not that I blame them, if they manage to get a draw in this game, their chances to go to the next stage improve tremendously.

Still a shit game, Netherlands are struggling.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I was looking forward to this game but thus far it’s been quite cagey and demonstrative of teams who’ve not had much change to become cohesive before the WC.

Kaos

I like LVG and wish him well but for the Dutch's sake I'm glad this is his last tournament for them. A bit sick of this tedious back 5 nonsense. Just feels wrong not seeing the Dutch play 433.

facchiano

Senegal are missing a technical midfielder and Mane. Playing with three cloggers in midfield will not get you very far.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I love ETH, but if we knock on wood fire him, could we please get Senegals coach?

RVN1991

Forgot how dire LVG teams are to watch. Rather watch Qatar play again .

marktan

Still bummed Mane isn't playing, Senegal win this if he's in there. Nagelsman should've rotated him a little at least.

Good game and good result for England, but before the competition start Qatar was the strongest Asian team (they are the Asian Cup holders), and Ecuador beat them pretty easy. I think the gap of quality between Asian and European/South American teams clearly increased.

Japan and South Korea struggled against Iran and Qatar, this is not going to be a good competition for asian teams.

About the current game: not surprised. Aliou Cissé is a good NT manager, Senegal is always very well drilled even when using a weaker team.
I think Korea and Japan should both be better, Japan have a lot of technical players that play in Europe. Korea of course have players like Son and Kim Min-jae, though I don't know about the rest of their players.

There was a good post by @Spiersey in yesterday's match thread about how Qatar had declined since 2019. They're probably the weakest Asian time in the tournament.

PoTMS

Senegal (best African team) is a solid team full of Premier League players... Iran is what? Besides shit at football?
Senegal are 18th vs Iran 20th in the FIFA rankings. Not perfect but certainly better than @Stadjer unofficial rankings for cannon fodder/teams not facing Netherlands.

binary bot
I’ll never forgot Netherlands vs Costa Rica. Probably the worst match I’ve seen

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Senegal are missing a technical midfielder and Mane. Playing with three cloggers in midfield will not get you very far.
Not impressed with Van Gaal’s formation of the Netherlands. They should be able to have a lot more possession and pressure against this Senegal team.

Ibi Dreams

I like LVG and wish him well but for the Dutch's sake I'm glad this is his last tournament for them. A bit sick of this tedious back 5 nonsense. Just feels wrong not seeing the Dutch play 433.
Got van Dijk and de Ligt and still plays 5 at the back against a not particularly dangerous team. I know he often plays it but it feels so unnecessary and counter productive

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Feel like I’ve seen this game before. Man Utd v PSV circa 2015. Proper shit.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Both teams have no real intensity or purpose.

Also de Jong has been poor