Day 20: Sweden vs Switzerland and Colombia vs England

What is 'coming home'?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This is England. A Sir title for Andy Murray is on the card when players like Federer, Nadal and Djokovic exist.
I'm struggling to understand what point you're trying to make here or the link between Murray winning a sir title and Federer existing?

Oo0AahCantona

The only worry is the lack of a proper central midfielder of quality. there's enough depth everywhere else but midfield is the worry.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Guys, it’s completely nonsensical thinking that past generations having lost on penalties means this one will lose too.

Ospina is crap at saving penalties while Pickford is great at it. There’s absolutely no way England lose this
Its understandable they react like this, but 22 years later... glad for Dier ;)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Give them a few minutes and we'll soon be told how it was lucky, the players are so scummy, we're crap, players can't pass etc etc. :D

Can't believe we actually won a shootout! Excellent experience for this squad, whatever happens now (and yes, I know the bar is incredibly low).
I didn't give our lads a sniff before this world cup kicked off. To see them reach the QF's, winning a penalty shootout in the process, is fecking brilliant. Over the moon for all of them.

The epic-sized balls on those penalty takers. Kudos to 'em all!

Dr. StrangeHate

He won Wimbledon
Still nothing compared to other three mentioned. Mark my words every single English player will get the Sir title if they win the world cup. Imagine a Sir Southgate compared to the greatest manager in the world just Pep.
In knock out tournaments you need to be lucky first of all and no one is more lucky in this draw than England so far.

Treble

Average game but England were slightly better and deserved to win, imo. Colombia would have been a different proposition with Hames. Luck for England. Think they can reach the final now. None of Sweden, Croatia and Russia are particularly great.

TheReligion

Abusive
England looked so horribly shaken in that first half of extra time. A better team would have smelt blood, gone for the kill and would have won in extra time. They squeezed past a team without their best player and didn’t look particularly threatening. England’s first half against Tunisia is a distant memory.
Agree but they invited pressure by bringing on Dier at 80 mins. It was a stroll at that point.

England also finished stronger in ET. Totally deserve the victory.

RedPamie

Well done England! Wanted England to win badly after Colombia antics. Great performance by Pickford. And kudos to Spurs players too!

So happy for Rashford and Lingard! And Please England fans, one game at a time!

Reactions: SteveJ

AndyJ1985

Makes it all the sweeter to beat those scummy south Americans. Now if we could get to the final and make Neymar cry that'd be nice

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I didn't give our lads a sniff before this world cup kicked off, to see them reach the QF's, winning a penalty shootout in the process, is fecking brilliant. Over the moon for all of them.

The epic-sized balls on those penalty takers. Kudos to 'em all!
Yep, completely agreed. I thought (before the draw) we may still be knocked out in the group, I didn't think we'd get to the QF.

We've done so, played relatively well and won a shootout. I actually like the squad for once, regardless of where they play. It is great.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The football match kept interrupting the coverage of James Rodriguez.

TheReligion

Abusive
Well done England! Wanted England to win badly after Colombia antics. Great performance by Pickford. And kudos to Spurs players too!

So happy for Rashford and Lingard! And Please England fans, one game at a time!
Rashford balls of steal. Brilliant penalty by our young gem.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Any complaints about pickford almost being at the edge of the 6 yard box for his save?
Not really, that rule may as well not exist anymore seeing as every single keeper does it an the refs do nothing.

Inter Yer Nan

England looked so horribly shaken in that first half of extra time. A better team would have smelt blood, gone for the kill and would have won in extra time. They squeezed past a team without their best player and didn’t look particularly threatening. England’s first half against Tunisia is a distant memory.

They should get to the semi (it’d be embarrassing if they didn’t to be honest at this point) where I think they’ll meet a very decent Croatian outfit.
I felt this too but the response in the 2nd half was good. England took the initiative and went for it.

arnie_ni

Not really, that rule may as well not exist anymore seeing as every single keeper does it an the refs do nothing.
Was a bit sarcastic there because there was complaints about other keepers doing it.

But yea, the keepers that haven't done it so far have lost, ospina and de gea

Born2Lose

I genuinely can't remember him ever taking one.
Sorry, picked yours out of a group of many, but don't understand why so many on this forum are so down on Rashford.

He may or may not be a great player, but why not at least get behind the guy until it all becomes clear.

DavidDeSchmikes

Good riddance to Colombia, they were a disgrace, surrounding the ref, trying to get England players booked, 3 minutes of appealing after the ref awarded the penalty, card waving, playacting etc..... I hope Ospina didn't break his hand whilst saving Henderson penalty. Funny enough, their sh!thouse tactics makes this victory even more sweeter.

TheReligion

Abusive
Good riddance to Colombia, they were a disgrace, surrounding the ref, trying to get England players booked, 3 minutes of appealing after the ref awarded the penalty, card waving, playacting etc..... I hope Ospina didn't break his hand whilst saving Henderson penalty. Funny enough, their sh!thouse tactics makes this victory even more sweeter.
They dug up the penalty spot too.

Twats

Brinky

Not sure if it’s been mentioned in the thread, but did Jamie Vardy conpletely bottle it not taking a penalty? Regular penalty taker for his club.